HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about next year's forwards..

Old
02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Although the possibility always exists, dunno why anyone is even mentioning Petrov at this point.

If he hasn't made it over after three seasons, he's not coming until he's an UFA.

And when he does, he's gonna have a HECK of a lot to prove before he's taking a regular shift in the NHL. For a guy we're looking at to be a potential offensive impact player, there a ton of nobodies scoring double or three times as much as he is in what is widely considered the 2nd or 3rd best league on the planet.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Although this thread is about forwards, I'd like to kindly point out that no less than the following Dmen ARE under contract for next season.

Streit, Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina, Hamonic, MacDonald, Hillen, de Haan.

Several others like Kohn and Wishart are RFAs, while Katic will be in the last season of his ELC.

I have a gut feeling that of their own prospects, the Isles will sign Sims to an ELC or at least get him on a Bridgeport two-way contract, but that's not all that important for the NHL club at the moment...

Now, I'm sure everyone knows that we not only traditionally suffer a boatload of blueline injuries every season, but that the blueline above is STILL in need of one top 3 NHL blueliner with offensive qualities, e.g. a slight upgrade of Martinek.

Furthermore, on another note, I personally think you'll see Gervais and Reese sign with Pittsburgh. Just a hunch, and certainly only on two-way contracts.

Lastly, on other fronts, I believe the team will sign Cizikas and maybe even bring Nilsson over. There's a minimal outside chance that any of Gregoire, Lee or Kessel could be signed early out of college, although I see no rush for this.
Hillen's an RFA at season's end and hopefully gone. Barring a trade I would think we'll see Striet-Eaton, Amac- Hamonic, Jurcina-Mottau with the question being how well can Mottau and Eaton play after hip surgery?

Only forwards worth committing a spot to at this time; Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Okposo, Bailey and Frans. Hunter's under contract and Martin should still be in Bridgeport. A couple of spots up for grabs. The UFA market is not all that attractive, maybe Jussi Jokinen is the type of player that can complement Tavares?

Jokinen-Tavares-Okposo
Moulson-Bailey-Grabner
?????-Nielsen-Hunter
?????-?????-Martin

Fill in the blanks. Guys like Lieno and Glencross should make it to free agency.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Macch

Those thinking Parenteau wont be back next season are dreaming. To be honest, with the way hes been playing lately, I wouldn't mind him back. He can be useful on the our second or third line next year, especially if him coming back means we don't have to rush Nino or any other young player than thats fine by me.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Those thinking Parenteau wont be back next season are dreaming. To be honest, with the way hes been playing lately, I wouldn't mind him back. He can be useful on the our second or third line next year, especially if him coming back means we don't have to rush Nino or any other young player than thats fine by me.
I agree. I expect him back.

For those who don't like him, well...

Old
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Hillen's an RFA at season's end and hopefully gone.
Ahhh, then we've been fooled in a few other threads.

But according to GapGeek, you're right.

At this point, I think the coaching staff decides if he's resigned. If they like him, I suspect Snow will keep him in the fold.

Old
02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Although the possibility always exists, dunno why anyone is even mentioning Petrov at this point.

If he hasn't made it over after three seasons, he's not coming until he's an UFA.

And when he does, he's gonna have a HECK of a lot to prove before he's taking a regular shift in the NHL. For a guy we're looking at to be a potential offensive impact player, there a ton of nobodies scoring double or three times as much as he is in what is widely considered the 2nd or 3rd best league on the planet.

This is the closest post to reality on Petrov I've seen in a long time. Learn it...Study it...Because it's accurate.

We will NOT see Petrov on Long Island until Fall 2012 the earliest.

In fact, every since he was drafted I had the theory that Petrov will never play a game for the Isles because they will trade him for something valuable before he comes to North America. I mostly still believe that. I think Snow isn't too keen on Russians (he's only drafted 3) and only drafts them when they are clearly the best value left on the board (Petrov and Kabanov). Klementiev is the only other Russian drafted by Snow.

Last edited by periferal: 02-05-2011 at 06:35 PM.
periferal is offline   Reply With Quote