HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Forsberg

Old
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Forsberg

Hey all,

I was just watching a Forsberg tribute video and it had several sick clips of stuff he did while in Philly.

So I was just wondering what you guys all thought of him during his brief stay with the Flyers. I am a huge Avs fan and I will be honest that I didn't really follow him as much while he was elsewhere, but his numbers looked fantastic. (Over a PPG for 100 games, plus postseason).

So, do you guys have any special memories of his time in Philly, or how was he regarded in general?

His game truly fits your city and team.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
he was basically the sole reason we didnt get swept by the Sabres in the one playoff series he played for us

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

The fans loved him here, I figured PHI would always be a top choice for one of his comebacks, guess he loves Colorado more...

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
CharlieGirl

He, Gagne and Knuble were an unstoppable force most nights too.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Many people still love him, but many also think he should just "stay retired". Maybe because of one too many rumors retuning to Philly involving him to their liking.

Overall he brought some great games, but him coming in and out of the lineup so frequently really messed up chemistry.

Personally I am a little upset he didn't come tryout here, but then again maybe he was turned down?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Loved him here in Philly..

He is one of my favorite players of all time. I wish we didn't trade him for Lindros. But that worked out well for you guys

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
PhillyFlying

how can you not love foppa? he was one of the most exciting players of all time in his prime. he'd find a way to get on the score sheet night in and night out, and you always noticed. sure, i wish philly was on his wish list but what can you do? i'm glad he's back in the NHL so we can watch him regularly again (for the time being anyhow) and i hope it works out as long as he's out west or wearing orange and black

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
He was well-liked and admired by fans, teammates, everyone. Management wanted to keep him. The first season was unfulfilled expectations, some of which was attributed to injuries. The team seemed to gel late in the calendar year of 2005-06 but as the season progressed, his health became a concern. His play wasn't the issue. He had surgery in the off-season. Then came the second of his two seasons in 2006-07.

His status as a potential UFA and with the Flyers having a horrible season led to his trade with Nashville but only after management had all avenues explored. The Flyers tried a myriad of solutions including various modifications with equipment and it became a soap opera in a sense.

He was definitely liked by his teammates but the constant unknown with his status was a strain. Just a few days ago, Chris Therien mentioned how players would ask him in the dressing room whether or not he was playing that night and an answer wasn't always given because it wasn't known.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
The fans loved him here, I figured PHI would always be a top choice for one of his comebacks, guess he loves Colorado more...
Hard to say, but certainly Colorado is more desperate for the 'Nightly Distraction of Whether Forsberg's Feet Will Allow Him To Play" than the Flyers are.

That is, if he can get his visa and work permits sorted before he becomes a 'nightly game time decision.'

I loved Forsberg, but he's too much of a soap opera now. The last time he came back, it was joke. I don't expect it to be different this time.

Colorado's in a very tough spot to even make the playoffs - do they really need distractions (again) at a time when they should be concentrating?

Will he or won't he, only his podiatrist knows for sure?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I loved him in his time here. He had the ability to slow down a game and see the game at a level that I've only ever seen two players do in a Flyers jersey. The other guy to do that is Chris Pronger.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Flyrs21

He was good when he was in Philly but he was here at the wrong time. A lot of the time it looked like the team became too dependent on his line to score. Primeau's injury didn't help in 05/06 along with the current Flyers stars being too young.

06/07 the foot became a factor, Gagne didn't want to be the captain so they gave it to Forsberg, which they shouldn't have but there really wasn't anyone left, expect for maybe Hatcher. The 06/07 roster was just really bad and young.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Mgkibbles

The one thing that will always stick out to me about Foppa was how scared opposing players were of him. When he had the puck defenders thought twice about going after him because of how amazing his balance, puck control and decision making was - they knew Foppa would make them look foolish.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
zarley zelepukin

It was amazinig how for a player who was thought of as being a little past his prime to be so dominant. It just seemed like he could do anything he wanted when the puck was on his stick, and he was easily the team MVP. I'd like to see him stay relatively healthy this time with the Avs and go out on his own terms.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Hard to say, but certainly Colorado is more desperate for the 'Nightly Distraction of Whether Forsberg's Feet Will Allow Him To Play" than the Flyers are.

That is, if he can get his visa and work permits sorted before he becomes a 'nightly game time decision.'

I loved Forsberg, but he's too much of a soap opera now. The last time he came back, it was joke. I don't expect it to be different this time.

Colorado's in a very tough spot to even make the playoffs - do they really need distractions (again) at a time when they should be concentrating?

Will he or won't he, only his podiatrist knows for sure?
If he wants to come back, then I can't blame the Avs for accommodating him.

It's not like I really expect them to make the playoffs.

All I want to see from it is players like Duchene and Stewart learning a ton by playing with a living legend.

Old
02-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I was amazed see in him on a game in game out basis... I had no idea of just how great he was until he was a Flyer and I saw him more than on just a once in a while situation... I've been a Flyers and Hockey fan for over four decades now and I can safely say that I have never seen a player, Flyers or otherwise, that had his ability for puck handling and control. He carried the puck down the ice and my jaw would just drop in awe... His passing and on-ice vision was second to no one... While his output and total numbers were not as great as Gretzky or Mario, his performance to watch was the greatest I've ever seen. I'm not saying he was the greatest player in the NHL, nor even the greatest I've ever seen, nor even the greatest Flyers player... merely saying that on a regular basis for a season and a half I have never been amazed so often, nor enjoyed watching one player so much... He was head and shoulders above his teammates and had a better than a PPG average... when he dressed, even when not 100% in game shape, he was the best in the game, and his PPG+ average takes into account his games where he was returning from injury and not at his best.

I only wish he was here longer... and I'd love to have had him on my team over the course of his career and when he was in his prime years... I too wish he was not traded away for Lindros and was a longtime Flyer. I wish him nothing but the best; I believe he had the Flyers best interest at heart while here, I honestly got that feeling.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I was amazed see in him on a game in game out basis... I had no idea of just how great he was until he was a Flyer and I saw him more than on just a once in a while situation... I've been a Flyers and Hockey fan for over four decades now and I can safely say that I have never seen a player, Flyers or otherwise, that had his ability for puck handling and control. He carried the puck down the ice and my jaw would just drop in awe... His passing and on-ice vision was second to no one... While his output and total numbers were not as great as Gretzky or Mario, his performance to watch was the greatest I've ever seen. I'm not saying he was the greatest player in the NHL, nor even the greatest I've ever seen, nor even the greatest Flyers player... merely saying that on a regular basis for a season and a half I have never been amazed so often, nor enjoyed watching one player so much... He was head and shoulders above his teammates and had a better than a PPG average... when he dressed, even when not 100% in game shape, he was the best in the game, and his PPG+ average takes into account his games where he was returning from injury and not at his best.

I only wish he was here longer... and I'd love to have had him on my team over the course of his career and when he was in his prime years... I too wish he was not traded away for Lindros and was a longtime Flyer. I wish him nothing but the best; I believe he had the Flyers best interest at heart while here, I honestly got that feeling.

Old
02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The thing I remember most is his dominate performance in the 2006 playoffs. Problem is, he was the only one.

Next thing I remember is how all of a sudden he was getting unsportsmanlike conduct calls for talking to the refs, and basically never getting any of the calls he got while he was in Colorado.

Then there was things like taking games off to go try on skates in Montreal.

Overall, I appreciate that he wanted to play here. I also appreciate that he allowed himself to be traded so he didn't drag this team further down the drain.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Villedelphia*

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:42 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Not that we really need Forsberg right now, but I do wonder if he would have thought about coming back here if Gagne was still on the team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Flyerfan808

I will never forget how the game seemed to slow down when he had the puck on his stick. There was always this electricity in the air like something big was about to happen, and often did.

That (for me) is Peter's Legacy as a Flyer.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
If he wants to come back, then I can't blame the Avs for accommodating him.

It's not like I really expect them to make the playoffs.

All I want to see from it is players like Duchene and Stewart learning a ton by playing with a living legend.
You may have written their season off already, but I hope the players haven't. It really hurt the Flyers never knowing if Forsberg would be in the lineup or not. The nightly uncertainly was a big distraction that I'm glad the Flyers don't have this year.

We'll have to see if the gamble works out for Colorado or not - they did pretty well without him last year - and not so well with him the year before. It's a risk.

If I was GM, I'd have told him, 'go play in Modo, prove you can play for 3 months straight and I'll give you a contract to come to camp next year.'

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:52 AM
rban*

Makes far more sense for him at this point to do Avalanche than Flyers. With his three year absence, he would have eight and possibly nine players ahead of him in the depth chart.

I dont think Foppa wants to come back and be on the 4th line. That's where he might be on this team. 3rd is possible but so is 4th.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Makes far more sense for him at this point to do Avalanche than Flyers. With his three year absence, he would have eight and possibly nine players ahead of him in the depth chart.

I dont think Foppa wants to come back and be on the 4th line. That's where he might be on this team. 3rd is possible but so is 4th.
Yeah, you're right. He's probably not taking Nodl's spot...he's so hot right now.

Forsberg was not the same guy he was on Colorado when he was here, but he was still that dude. Best player on the ice whenever his foot felt like letting him be.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:02 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
He's the best to ever grace the ice.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave