HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Islanders Off-Season Plan

Old
02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
ziggy7716

vCash: 500
My Islanders Off-Season Plan

This is what I think the Islanders should do this off-season, it's very realistic, just may not happen with Garth Snow and Wang at the helm....First things first here is what I think they should do for the rest of this season:

- Trade Radek Martinek at the deadline for whatever we can get, prob a 3rd pick if i had to guess
-When Nathan Lawson returns, send Poulin back to bridgeport so he can play more, work on his game and be ready next season to possibly be our starters
-Toll that primma donna Evgeni's Nabokov's contract and use him as a trade asset next season

Now for the off-season

-Gervais, Hillen, Reese annd Colliton are all RFA, let Gervais, Hillen and Reese become Unrestricted and get them on the first bus out of here. I won't mind Colliton being re-signed to a two-way for depth in bridgeport
-Foward RFA's are Comeau, Bailey, Schremp, Okposo and Grabner. Let Schremp become UFA and leave, Re-Sign Okposo to a long-term deal, like 5 or 6 years, Re-Sign Grabs to a 3 or 4 year deal. Re-Sign Comeau to a one year deal and see how he does, I still think he can be a integral part to our core. Which brings me to Bailey, alot of us think maybe its time to end the project, but I feel they should re-sign him a 1 yr deal and give him one more season to flourish.
-Our UFA's are Parenteau, Gillies and Konopka. I think we should re-sign Z to a 2 yr deal or so, he brings energy, grit and some heart to our team and is a great face-off guy and Penalty killer, he will be a fixture on our 4th line. Parenteau gets alot of heat, but I have said before the UFA crop isn't that great and I don't see Snow signing anyone to replace his probable 20 goal 50pt production, with that said I say re-up PA to a 1yr deal. Gillies they should let walk.

Ok so now time for adding players:
-I don't think Snow is going to do this but he should give Zach Parise a offer sheet. Devils are in cap hell and chances are if its for alot of money they won't be able to match, and if they did they would have to dismantle their team to make it work. With that said I say they should throw a 6yr 42million dollar deal at him. Parise on the Islanders immediately gives them a guy who will score 40 goals and take tons of pressure off JT, Okposo and Moulson.
-Next up, Snow should sign Christian Ehrhoff. He is a top 4 D-man who will help Streit out alot and take some responsibility off A-Mac and Hamonic, and De Haan who will probably make the team.
-Sign UFA Ben Eager, Eager is a guy who brings toughness but can still play, would probably gel well with Z on the 4th line.

Line Combinations

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau

Parise-Bailey-Okposo

Comeau-Nielsen-Grabner

Eager-Konopka-Martin

Streit-Ehrhoff
MacDonald-Hamonic
Jurcina-De Haan
Mottau-Eaton- extras

Poulin
DP
Nabokov(if they toll him and dont trade him he can sit out or play)

That my friends is a team that I think would make the playoffs and make some noise too, Like I said, I think its realisitic, but not sure if Snow would do all this.

Thought?

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Isles72

rfa offer sheets can only go up to 5 years .

Isles72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

A few things:

1) Give Bailey a one year deal? That'll probably kill his confidence (even more)
2) No Nino on next year's lines?
3) There's also the Kirills...they could be in the mix next season.

But, I agree with the rest.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Brunomics

it's pretty good but I doubt erhoff(sp?) would sign here. Plus offer sheets don't really get thrown around anymore. Personally I'd be happy with a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman. Which means we'll be settling for the scrap heap yet again next year.

I also expect Nino to make the team next year. Who knows hopefully he makes Parenteau expendable and he can play on Tavares' line. Figure if P.A. can put up 50 points and be otherwise crappy Nino can put up at least 50 and play well in all 3 zones.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Why is there this misconception that the Devils are in "cap hell" and can't afford to re-sign Parise?

First off, even *if* they were in cap trouble (which they aren't), Parise is the type of player you move other contracts for to make sure he stays.

Second, Parise already makes $3,125,000. So even if he gets a raise to about $6 or $6.5 million, the Devils will only need to find an additional $3 to $3.5 million to compensate for that raise from his current salary. Jason Arnott's $4.5 million salary is coming off the books on July 1st, so already you've got the extra funds necessary to re-sign Parise.

Lastly, and I mean this with no maliciousness or ill-intent but, why would Parise want to sign with the Islanders? It's a two-way street. Parise has to agree to a contract with the team who offers him a deal, so what exactly would entice Parise to want to spend his best years (he's 26, so his next contract will cover pretty much his "prime") on a team that is on the brink of finishing in the bottom five three years in a row, with the only chance at contending being "in the future"?

I understand some fans want Parise, but you have to look at this from all points of view, not just the point of view that you want him in New York.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Why is there this misconception that the Devils are in "cap hell" and can't afford to re-sign Parise?

First off, even *if* they were in cap trouble (which they aren't), Parise is the type of player you move other contracts for to make sure he stays.

Second, Parise already makes $3,125,000. So even if he gets a raise to about $6 or $6.5 million, the Devils will only need to find an additional $3 to $3.5 million to compensate for that raise from his current salary. Jason Arnott's $4.5 million salary is coming off the books on July 1st, so already you've got the extra funds necessary to re-sign Parise.

Lastly, and I mean this with no maliciousness or ill-intent but, why would Parise want to sign with the Islanders? It's a two-way street. Parise has to agree to a contract with the team who offers him a deal, so what exactly would entice Parise to want to spend his best years (he's 26, so his next contract will cover pretty much his "prime") on a team that is on the brink of finishing in the bottom five three years in a row, with the only chance at contending being "in the future"?

I understand some fans want Parise, but you have to look at this from all points of view, not just the point of view that you want him in New York.
Actually your horribly wrong on both accounts. 1. The devils currently have 1.39 avaliable cap space, yes Arnott salary being gone will help, but if they give Parise alot of money, which he deserves good luck signing other players and making your team better. Secondly, He plays for the devils who are just as bad, and in terms of the future and young players Islanders have more good young players then the devils for the future. Also, once Brodeur hangs them up the Devils are in trouble, they have no good goaltending prospects coming up. The only thing the Devils have over the Islanders is a nicer arena. Also in 2003 when Parise was drafted he was expecting the Islanders to select him, with his father having played for the Islanders, It was something that he was looking foward to. I can guarantee you that if the Islanders gave him an offer sheet he would sign it. With amount of good young players the Islanders have, having a friend and same home native in Okposo, and having family ties to the team he would absolutely come here

Old
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
islandermike

I don't see them adding any defensemen with Macdonald, Hamonic, Streit, Mottau, Eaton and Jurcina plus add Dehann turning pro next year and possible prospects in Katic & Klementeyev. I think eventually they need to add some toughness to the blueline but that most likely won't be next year.

Up front i agree with Schremp not being offered contract, he just doesn't really fit here because he is better as a center and really Bailey is better as a center also so i would and think they would also choose Bailey over Schremp. I see them probably bringing back Parenteau but i could see Comeau being gone. They need to add an NHL center who can produce 50-60 points and a scoring winger. I guess Nino will be in the mix here plus if they take a forward with the most likely top 5 pick they will have.

Goaltending is interesting because of Poulin, DP has 10 years left on the deal after this year so unless he retires he is going to be one of the goalies but do they bring in a veteran guy or do they go with Poulin and DP. I still think Koskinen has some potential, he essentially lost last year with the injury so this is like his 1st pro year.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Actually your horribly wrong on both accounts. 1. The devils currently have 1.39 avaliable cap space, yes Arnott salary being gone will help, but if they give Parise alot of money, which he deserves good luck signing other players and making your team better. Secondly, He plays for the devils who are just as bad, and in terms of the future and young players Islanders have more good young players then the devils for the future. Also, once Brodeur hangs them up the Devils are in trouble, they have no good goaltending prospects coming up. The only thing the Devils have over the Islanders is a nicer arena. Also in 2003 when Parise was drafted he was expecting the Islanders to select him, with his father having played for the Islanders, It was something that he was looking foward to. I can guarantee you that if the Islanders gave him an offer sheet he would sign it. With amount of good young players the Islanders have, having a friend and same home native in Okposo, and having family ties to the team he would absolutely come here
How do we know Okposo and Parise are friends, because they are both from Minnesota? I don't see us making Parise a monster offer so it will be a moot point but i don't see this team as a team Parise thinks is ideal. Honestly if he does leave Devils which i don't think will happen most likely the Wild(since he is a Minnesota kid)would be ahead of us on any list he would have.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
NYI78

Quote:
you also have to assume that the cap will go up...let say 10 percent..like it has every year...thats another 5-6 million in cap room for the devils...also you can not sign parise to an offer sheet and give up 3 number one's. it will turn into a kessel deal..and to the original post if we did sign parise why the hell would parenteau be on the first line still

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
How do we know Okposo and Parise are friends, because they are both from Minnesota? I don't see us making Parise a monster offer so it will be a moot point but i don't see this team as a team Parise thinks is ideal. Honestly if he does leave Devils which i don't think will happen most likely the Wild(since he is a Minnesota kid)would be ahead of us on any list he would have.
they are very close they work out all summer together...i met parise over the summer and we talked about the isles and he kept talking about his boy okie

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
They are actually. I specifically remember Okposo saying that him and Parise are close friends. In the off-season they work out and train together in Minnesota. I do agree, it probably is a moot point because I doubt Snow does it, but I really wish he would. I honestly think he will sign any offer sheet he gets.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:

Parise-Bailey-Okposo

Comeau-Nielsen-Grabner

Eager-Konopka-Martin

Streit-Ehrhoff
MacDonald-Hamonic
Jurcina-De Haan
Mottau-Eaton- extras

Poulin
DP
1) I agree 100% with STK, we are not getting Parise. He is the new face of the Devils. And, even IF we did, he's not playing on the 2nd line...

2) Parenteau on the 1st line, again, is an absolute joke. You acquire a winger for Tavares on the 1st line, whether through trade or FA. Regardless, Parenteau should NOT be in our top-6 and is not defensively-sound enough to be in the bottom-6. Waste of time.

3) Eager sucks. I'd rather slot someone from BP in that spot. And, if its not someone from BP, you're forgetting Nino who I believe is a lock next season.

4) We're not getting Ehrhoff either. I don't think he leaves Vancouver, to be honest, as he's been their best defenseman since acquired.

5) Eaton will NOT be an extra.

6) You forgot Hunter

7) We need another NHL defenseman, ideally. A #2.

Basically, if this is the team we're fielding next season, especially up front we will not be winning anything. This is not a winning lineup. It is at this time in the rebuild where as a GM you need to make choices as to who is panning out and has a realistic shot with this club and who doesnt. You cannot keep every prospect we have in hopes they all pan out. Top-prospects get moved...which, on this team, they won't.

So, to me, realistically I see something like:

Moulson-Tavares-xxx
Comeau-Bailey-Okposo/Hunter
Grabner-Nielsen-Hunter/Okposo
Martin-Konopka-Niederreiter

Streit-xxx
MacDonald-Hamonic
Jurcina-Eaton
deHaan-Mottau (Extras)

Poulin
DP

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Groin Of Bates

Sorry, forgot to remove Mottau from the extras and slot him into the lineup...

Old
02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Isles Shawn

Neiderreiter is not a 4th line player. He is top 6 or leave in Jr's. Also, Martin is not a 4th line player. If he can't crack the top 9 he should go back to the AHL for another year. The Isles are just ruining players. Bailey is now a 3rd line center, Martin is now a 4th line player...

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
1) I agree 100% with STK, we are not getting Parise. He is the new face of the Devils. And, even IF we did, he's not playing on the 2nd line...

2) Parenteau on the 1st line, again, is an absolute joke. You acquire a winger for Tavares on the 1st line, whether through trade or FA. Regardless, Parenteau should NOT be in our top-6 and is not defensively-sound enough to be in the bottom-6. Waste of time.

3) Eager sucks. I'd rather slot someone from BP in that spot. And, if its not someone from BP, you're forgetting Nino who I believe is a lock next season.

4) We're not getting Ehrhoff either. I don't think he leaves Vancouver, to be honest, as he's been their best defenseman since acquired.

5) Eaton will NOT be an extra.

6) You forgot Hunter

7) We need another NHL defenseman, ideally. A #2.

Basically, if this is the team we're fielding next season, especially up front we will not be winning anything. This is not a winning lineup. It is at this time in the rebuild where as a GM you need to make choices as to who is panning out and has a realistic shot with this club and who doesnt. You cannot keep every prospect we have in hopes they all pan out. Top-prospects get moved...which, on this team, they won't.

So, to me, realistically I see something like:

Moulson-Tavares-xxx
Comeau-Bailey-Okposo/Hunter
Grabner-Nielsen-Hunter/Okposo
Martin-Konopka-Niederreiter

Streit-xxx
MacDonald-Hamonic
Jurcina-Eaton
deHaan-Mottau (Extras)

Poulin
DP
Yes Sorry, I did forget Hunter. If Nino makes the team next season there is no way he plays on the 4th line, He's a top 6 foward, if he can't play in the top 6 he should be returned to junior or play in the Bridge. As far as Parenteau goes, as I have said before who do you replace him with? I am telling you right now, there is no one available this off season UFA wise that will sign here that will produce more then him. It's just not happening.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010...l-free-agents/

Check out the UFA's...The ones that I would want will not come play on the Island, all the others would be a lateral move because PA can put up the same numbers.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle S View Post
Neiderreiter is not a 4th line player. He is top 6 or leave in Jr's. Also, Martin is not a 4th line player. If he can't crack the top 9 he should go back to the AHL for another year. The Isles are just ruining players. Bailey is now a 3rd line center, Martin is now a 4th line player...
You're right on this assessment, but, as I stated: "realistically"

And, as such, we will not be fielding a successful team next season either.

So, if they don't acquire that winger for Tavares (which they probably won't because their excuse will be that PAP justifies and compliments the team aka "he's cheap") then just slot in Parenteau.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle S View Post
I agree with this.

Also, I am not against cutting Gillies loose. However, I think we need more toughness. If we can find a guy who can play in addition to being tough, I am all for that. I am not sure that guy exists (in that he is available) or more precisely that we can find that guy this offseason. We cannot go into next season with just Konopka...since, as I said, I think Martin should be in the AHL developing into a potential second line forward (and at worst a third liner). Our team is soft, in addition to lacking talent and speed.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Yes Sorry, I did forget Hunter. If Nino makes the team next season there is no way he plays on the 4th line, He's a top 6 foward, if he can't play in the top 6 he should be returned to junior or play in the Bridge. As far as Parenteau goes, as I have said before who do you replace him with? I am telling you right now, there is no one available this off season UFA wise that will sign here that will produce more then him. It's just not happening.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010...l-free-agents/

Check out the UFA's...The ones that I would want will not come play on the Island, all the others would be a lateral move because PA can put up the same numbers.
Parenteau, as a player, is abysmal. He is a product of the line and not of his playing ability. I would guarantee you that if he was playing on the 1st line of most teams in the NHL he'd be putting up these numbers.

If you have to overpay a little bit more, which we're accustomed to doing, to attract a UFA then we need to do so. PA Parenteau is not the answer.

And, as I stated before for Nino, I would not be surprised to see him slotted everywhere. By mid-season, the only 2 consistent lines we had were line #1 and line #4.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Abe Vukota

Wait a minute...a first line with P.A. still on it? I think the OP might actually be P.A. Parenteau.

I don't see the D changing much as other posters have said, but I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning. Is Hamonic ready for the long term? Are Mottau and Eaton good enough to play a regular shift for a contender? The way I see it, we have Streit, Andy Mac, and I guess Jurcina (who was good while he was healthy, but let's see him do it over time). Out of those three, I buy Streight as a top pairing guy and Mac as a player who will soon grow into a top four defenseman. If we stick with that as our defense, then we will be wretched yet again.

Honestly, Ziggy, I'm just relieved to hear that SOMEONE has a plan for the off-season. Might you forward this to Charles Wang? I don't agree with all of it, but it beats the hell out of our current "pray that the arena collapses and resign PA to a 13 yr deal" off-season planning.

Abe Vukota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

My Off-Season Plan

Sign Ian White 2 years $6.5 million ($3.25 million cap hit)
Sign Radim Vrbata 2 years $5.75 million ($2.875 million cap hit)
Re-sign Zenon Konopka 2 years $1.35 million ($675k cap hit)

If Nino doesn't make the team for whatever reason, sign Chris Higgins for 1 year, $1.6 million.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Niederreiter/Higgins-Bailey-Vrbata
Grabner-Nielsen-Comeau
Martin-Konopka-Hunter

Streit-White
MacDonald-Hamonic
Eaton-Jurcina
Mottau/Wishart

Poulin
DiPietro

Done, it's going to be a long boring offseason.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
This is what I think the Islanders should do this off-season, it's very realistic,

Line Combinations

Parise-Bailey-Okposo

Comeau-Nielsen-Grabner

Eager-Konopka-Martin

Streit-Ehrhoff
MacDonald-Hamonic
Jurcina-De Haan
Mottau-Eaton- extras

Poulin
DP
Thought?
Um...I wouldn't pay all those draft picks and play Moulson over Parise..
(Especially at what salary Parise would be getting 6+ million)

Either way I fully expect the Devils to resign him....I cant see them losing him and keeping other lesser players on that roster.

I can see Garth going lowbrow this offseason....(Fillin another Parenteau type name here...in other words..low risk-high reward types)

Comeau & Schremp...hmmm I bet one stays..one goes.
(And it might be decided in the next 30 games)

And now it looks like the Rick & Poulin will be a 1a-1b goalie tandem next season
(Makes sense if you're trying to save money)

Maybe Eager might be signed...he'd be a nice fit.
But who knows...he might even price himself out of our range.

Welcome to the NHL's version of the Florida Marlins

02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vukota View Post
I don't see the D changing much as other posters have said, but I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning. Is Hamonic ready for the long term? Are Mottau and Eaton good enough to play a regular shift for a contender? The way I see it, we have Streit, Andy Mac, and I guess Jurcina (who was good while he was healthy, but let's see him do it over time). Out of those three, I buy Streight as a top pairing guy and Mac as a player who will soon grow into a top four defenseman. If we stick with that as our defense, then we will be wretched yet again.
I think that Eaton, Jurcina, and Mottau will take up spots #4-6. Hamonic, while still young, has not really looked out of place so he will most likely remain long-term unless he has an awful camp. deHaan will be in Bridgeport. Streit and A-Mac will be in the top-4 with Hamonic, but ideally Snow would acquire a #2 defenseman (there are a lot this UFA period) for Streit and also to slot everyone down. Gaining this necessity lets us keep a Mottau on reserve. Eaton is definitely playing #5-6 minutes next season.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vukota View Post
Wait a minute...a first line with P.A. still on it? I think the OP might actually be P.A. Parenteau.

Honestly, Ziggy, I'm just relieved to hear that SOMEONE has a plan for the off-season. Might you forward this to Charles Wang? I don't agree with all of it, but it beats the hell out of our current "pray that the arena collapses and resign PA to a 13 yr deal" off-season planning.
lmao, yea sure let me just find his e-mail address. Honestly, I feel as though it's going to be the same story with snow " I had discussions with some guys but their concerns about the building steered them to sign other places, but we added Vernon Fiddler, he's a real good hockey player and will help this team tremendously" Lol we hear something to that extent every season. They have to make a trade or do something bold aka sign Parise to an offer sheet, to make the next step. Otherwise it's going to be the same thing every season, sign a few average guys and throw are young talented players to the wolves.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Otherwise it's going to be the same thing every season, sign a few average guys and throw are young talented players to the wolves.
Every season until 2015, at least

Old
02-03-2011, 02:09 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Sign Ian White 2 years $6.5 million ($3.25 million cap hit)
Sign Radim Vrbata 2 years $5.75 million ($2.875 million cap hit)
Re-sign Zenon Konopka 2 years $1.35 million ($675k cap hit)

If Nino doesn't make the team for whatever reason, sign Chris Higgins for 1 year, $1.6 million.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Niederreiter/Higgins-Bailey-Vrbata
Grabner-Nielsen-Comeau
Martin-Konopka-Hunter

Streit-White
MacDonald-Hamonic
Eaton-Jurcina
Mottau/Wishart

Poulin
DiPietro

Done, it's going to be a long boring offseason.
I wouldn't play Vrbata over Grabner...
and Higgins hasnt done **** in 3 years...so id pass on giving him charity.

White though i like....Come to think of it does anyone know who are the D avaliable this offseason in UFA?

DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote