HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Help on the NORPAC - WSHL- EJHL -IJHL

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2010, 11:26 PM
jgherbert57

vCash: 500
Help on the NORPAC - WSHL- EJHL -IJHL

My grandson has been asked to play for a number of teams Junior A to Junior B, in the IJHL-A, EJHL-B, NORPAC-A, WSHL-A, this is our first year looking at the offers and he is in the process of visting each team right now and rating everything from the coaching staff to facilities, etc., so that we can help him make the best choice so he can meet his goals.

He will be 17 in August and will be a senior this coming up year. We understand the tier structure USHL-1, NAHL-2 Then you have the rest, how do you see the IJHL-A? vs NORPAC-A VS WSHL-A Then we have 2 junior B team EJHL-b which is the MJHL any and help opions are welcome.

Old
06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
hockeyfreak7

If you have other offers, do not consider the IJHL seriously. It is not USA Hockey sanctioned, and it does not generally produce college level players. The level of competition is on par with other east coast Jr. B leagues, but they continue to call themselves "Jr. A".

I have not seen the NorPac, but I have heard that the level of talent is good. From what I have heard and seen (only a little though), the WSHL is solid, but I dont think it compares to leagues such as the EJHL or AJHL as far as Tier III Jr. A goes.

Did your son get offer from the Empire Junior Hockey League (Jr. B) or the Eastern Junior Hockey League (Jr. A)? EmJHL is no slouch of a league, but if you have other Jr. A offers, you might want to take them. If he got an EJHL offer, then I would advise this option as they are generally considered the third best Jr. A league in the country.

Old
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
jgherbert57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
If you have other offers, do not consider the IJHL seriously. It is not USA Hockey sanctioned, and it does not generally produce college level players. The level of competition is on par with other east coast Jr. B leagues, but they continue to call themselves "Jr. A".

I have not seen the NorPac, but I have heard that the level of talent is good. From what I have heard and seen (only a little though), the WSHL is solid, but I dont think it compares to leagues such as the EJHL or AJHL as far as Tier III Jr. A goes.

Did your son get offer from the Empire Junior Hockey League (Jr. B) or the Eastern Junior Hockey League (Jr. A)? EmJHL is no slouch of a league, but if you have other Jr. A offers, you might want to take them. If he got an EJHL offer, then I would advise this option as they are generally considered the third best Jr. A league in the country.
Yes he did get offers from two Junior B teams Empire league / MJHL. He really has his heart set on Junior A. Have you had or have known anyone who has played in the IJHL? Honestly how good is the play?

Old
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
nyrrichter35

i played in the empire and the IJ is brutal, don't send him there. i understand his heart is set on junior A, but you should consider speaking with the upper level junior B teams and see what his chances are of potentially moving up next season. they will most likely put him on a successful path

Old
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgherbert57 View Post
Yes he did get offers from two Junior B teams Empire league / MJHL. He really has his heart set on Junior A. Have you had or have known anyone who has played in the IJHL? Honestly how good is the play?
I know quite a few players who played in the IJHL last year, and I know a bunch from a new team (DC Generals) that will play next year. None of them have any futures in hockey no matter how much they wish to tell me other wise. I would go as far as to call the league a scam.

If your grandson has his heart set on Jr. A, he will be very disappointed in the IJHL. I would strongly advise you not to have him play in this league.

The Empire league is very solid. The top level teams have fantastic programs, but at the bottom you could find some weak players. A lot of these programs have Jr. A teams in the EJHL also, so you could get a shot if you impress the coaches. Although, if he is being brought in for Jr. B, his chances of playing Jr. A are not too high.

I would give consideration to the NorPac and WSHL also. The talent is naturally better than the Empire league, but you dont have the chance to be picked up to an EJHL team. There is no dispute that the EJHL is the third best Junior league in the country.

Like NYRichter said, speak with the Empire coaches and get an understanding for his chances at being called up.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
CoachBri21

The IJHL is a joke, don't waste your grandson's time or talent there. I know you said your grandson said that he has his heart set on Jr A, but depending on how old he is he may be better of spending some time in Jr B. If he got offers to play B it probably means he is a borderline player. Though it might sound and look good to play Jr. A, it stinks to be a healthy scratch for games or to get limited minutes on a third or fourth line. Worse yet would be to be on a team that struggles. Not only will it stunt development, but you won't get the looks from scouts that you would get on a better team (I worked with an EJ team that struggled 2 years ago and the scholarship offers were not great to the kids on that team). As someone who is going to be a first year coach in Jr. B I would suggest playing a year of junior B, but on a team that has a Jr A team that your grandson could be called up to if the situation presents itself. Being in the empire/EJ is much better than the WSHL, Met/AJ too. More exposure and more chances to move on in hockey if he has the talent. Best of luck this season to your grandson.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:10 AM
kmd mode

from the leagues you listed
WSHL and Norpac are about even

a step down is EmJhl and Mj

then way down is Ijhl, the IJ isn't even sanctioned by usahockey

Old
07-15-2010, 07:44 PM
StrBender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBri21 View Post
The IJHL is a joke, don't waste your grandson's time or talent there. I know you said your grandson said that he has his heart set on Jr A, but depending on how old he is he may be better of spending some time in Jr B. If he got offers to play B it probably means he is a borderline player. Though it might sound and look good to play Jr. A, it stinks to be a healthy scratch for games or to get limited minutes on a third or fourth line. Worse yet would be to be on a team that struggles. Not only will it stunt development, but you won't get the looks from scouts that you would get on a better team (I worked with an EJ team that struggled 2 years ago and the scholarship offers were not great to the kids on that team). As someone who is going to be a first year coach in Jr. B I would suggest playing a year of junior B, but on a team that has a Jr A team that your grandson could be called up to if the situation presents itself. Being in the empire/EJ is much better than the WSHL, Met/AJ too. More exposure and more chances to move on in hockey if he has the talent. Best of luck this season to your grandson.
You are right about the Jr B, BUT unless he plays for one of the top 3 teams the talent falls WAY OFF. The Empire Bruins will again be a roster of 70% 14 year old's and ask how many Empire Monarch players were moved up to the EJ team? The coaches don't even talk to each other. I do think your wrong to put the Empire ahead of the AJ though.

Like everyone else said STAY FAR FAR AWAY from the IJHL

Old
07-15-2010, 07:59 PM
mfosterftw

I'm more familiar with the NorPac and WSHL. Both leagues have good organizations and bad ones. I'm curious as to why he's not getting any sniffs from the CSHL...

Old
08-15-2010, 01:51 PM
LcandCompAlum91

if hes seventeen id put him back in a local aaa team for another chance to at least get to the nahl.

Avoid ijhl,gmhl,aehl,ujhl,and the njhl. All are absolute horrible leagues. do not send your kid there at all even if they tell you that they are good.

Considering that I played with 20 of the walpole jr a kids when I was 13 in florida, I have to say that the aj isn't that great.

Its an okay league but i would see if he could get to the ej. Cshl is garbage its a goon league and none of the kids did anything besides smoke pot and drink.

Wshl isn't good for college scouting, and for christ sake don't send him to the norpac.

From my experience with hockey it all depends on the coach. If you can find a coach who likes your son, has good credientials and knows people, go to that team. And probably paying him a ****ton of money wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thats why I suggested aaa. Hockey is very political and money oriented so if you have any type of funds to spare, do it. AAA will get him more exposure to the nahl and the ushl which are 10000000000000000000000x better than any of the leagues metioned.

Old
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
shootnscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post
if hes seventeen id put him back in a local aaa team for another chance to at least get to the nahl.

Avoid ijhl,gmhl,aehl,ujhl,and the njhl. All are absolute horrible leagues. do not send your kid there at all even if they tell you that they are good.

Considering that I played with 20 of the walpole jr a kids when I was 13 in florida, I have to say that the aj isn't that great.

Its an okay league but i would see if he could get to the ej. Cshl is garbage its a goon league and none of the kids did anything besides smoke pot and drink.

Wshl isn't good for college scouting, and for christ sake don't send him to the norpac.

From my experience with hockey it all depends on the coach. If you can find a coach who likes your son, has good credientials and knows people, go to that team. And probably paying him a ****ton of money wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thats why I suggested aaa. Hockey is very political and money oriented so if you have any type of funds to spare, do it. AAA will get him more exposure to the nahl and the ushl which are 10000000000000000000000x better than any of the leagues metioned.
Get off the CSHL! I know 2 kids who played there and followed the league closely for 3 years. No more fighting there than any other league.

The CSHL St Louis Blues just captured the National title for tier 3 A over the EJHL team in the finals.

3 kids from one of the boys teams went on to play in the NAHL.

Also, the 2 kids that I know, got offers from good D3 schools and isn't college "really" the realistic goal of all of this anyway?

Last edited by shootnscore: 09-09-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old
01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
griffpf

i live in canada send him up here... way better hockey for jr b.. if he is young he will get a spot on a jr a team within a year or two..i know tons of players who started in jrb and ended up in the dub or college or professional careers

Old
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
TopCheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnscore View Post
Get off the CSHL! I know 2 kids who played there and followed the league closely for 3 years. No more fighting there than any other league.

The CSHL St Louis Blues just captured the National title for tier 3 A over the EJHL team in the finals.

3 kids from one of the boys teams went on to play in the NAHL.

Also, the 2 kids that I know, got offers from good D3 schools and isn't college "really" the realistic goal of all of this anyway?
CSHL is a waste of time unless you're 15 or 16.

Closed Thread