HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #52: at Boston, 2/03 (6:00 PM, FSSW, 1310 AM)

Old
02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Robidas was absolutely terrible tonight. His poor coverage caused the two of the first three goals. Our transition game is abysmal under any sort of forecheck, which a lot of teams exploit the crap out of. The overly passive system we run is our downfall. You shouldn't be letting the offense get the easy shots.

Joe pretty much needs to make a move to get another proper top 4 D-man into the lineup. Woywitka needs to go back to sitting on the bench when everyone is healthy. Preferably one who can make good outlet passes and avoid the high pressure forechecks a lot of teams run.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Fly Like a C5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Speaking of unintentional comedy.

Huh, so not dead yet. Still a ridiculously bad game overall but they're working on redeeming themselves.
Good to see them start the third with energy and score twice, but then they gave up a goal and that energy was gone. It feels like the team is starting to lose confidence and focus. Look at the past 4 or 5 games. They look intimidated by other teams, like they've forgotten how to play against top teams. The entire team seems to lack focus. Goalies are letting in soft goals, the defense continues to forget how to play defense, and the forwards have stopped cleaning up the defensemen's mess. Injuries don't help, but the team needs to figure out deal with those injuries.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Robidas was absolutely terrible tonight. His poor coverage caused the two of the first three goals. Our transition game is abysmal under any sort of forecheck, which a lot of teams exploit the crap out of. The overly passive system we run is our downfall. You shouldn't be letting the offense get the easy shots.

Joe pretty much needs to make a move to get another proper top 4 D-man into the lineup. Woywitka needs to go back to sitting on the bench when everyone is healthy. Preferably one who can make good outlet passes and avoid the high pressure forechecks a lot of teams run.
any team that has robidas on its first pair is going to be prone to bouts of terrible defense.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I have got a sneaking suspicion there's a team bug going around that's not helping. Razor mentioned Eriksson was still sick, we know Fistric is out with an "illness," (though if illness actually means illness is anyone's guess) and it would explain Morin passing out at the airport yesterday.

But regardless, they need to find their way back to the early season pulling-points-out-of-their-butts trend.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Niskanen was flat out atrocious. He needs to be in Austin or gone.

Robidas couldn't cover anyone.

The backside forward for Boston was open pretty much all night long. Our defensive coverage was terrible.

After Ott's fight we got our ass kicked in every way for 40 minutes.

Raycroft and Lehtonen were both pretty awful tonight and didn't do the rest of the guys any favors.

Paille's hit was dirty and Razor was right if the league wants to end nonsense like that they need to throw the book at him.

Good to see the guys try to come back but they dug way too big a hole for themselves. 3 forwards in the hospital tonight. Who's left to be called up? Please someone tell me Fistric and Benn will be available for Philly. This is going to get ugly soon and winning the Pacific could be in real doubt if our forwards continue to drop like flies.

An extremely entertaining game but the shenanigans were beyond dumb at times and I say that about both teams tonight. What is it about Boston that brings out the caveman in Dallas? If the NHL is smart Dallas will play Boston twice next season.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I have got a sneaking suspicion there's a team bug going around that's not helping. Razor mentioned Eriksson was still sick, we know Fistric is out with an "illness," (though if illness actually means illness is anyone's guess) and it would explain Morin passing out at the airport yesterday.

But regardless, they need to find their way back to the early season pulling-points-out-of-their-butts trend.
That may be part of it, but I think the main issue is teams like boston and vancouver and bigger, stronger, faster and play styles that are a nightmare for a team like Dallas. They aren't afraid to drive the net or go to the tough area aggressively and the Stars are very weak defensively in those areas. Aggressive systems have given this team fits for years because our players just don't react well to it.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
That may be part of it, but I think the main issue is teams like boston and vancouver and bigger, stronger, faster and play styles that are a nightmare for a team like Dallas. They aren't afraid to drive the net or go to the tough area aggressively and the Stars are very weak defensively in those areas. Aggressive systems have given this team fits for years because our players just don't react well to it.
Also a very solid point. Boston and Vancouver, in particular, break out of their own zones very well and are through neutral in no time. Dallas' forwards tend to get caught up ice against your average team, so when a team is very good at navigating neutral, it just exacerbates the problem.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:46 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

After Ott's fight we got our ass kicked in every way for 40 minutes.
Putting Barch out there after the Ott fight seems like a foolish decision by Crawford. Ott beat his opponent pretty good so if there was going to be any momentum that would have been a good time to start the actual hockey portion of the game. Instead we follow it with two clowns getting destroyed which amped up the crowd and the bruins team.

I hate to wish injury on a guy but I hope Barch is out awhile. As we all know he is useless on the ice.

It sucks that Sawada went down. He seems like hes had a better AHL year so far so maybe his taking a further step in his development. I'd all but written him off as a complete bust.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if theres a break involved with Burish. That might be too much of a problem even for the riot shield helmet. He may be out awhile.

Lukowich has got to be better defensively than these clowns. Every dman we have turned in an embarrassing performance tonight.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
This team has never played well when its looking to pick fights. Everyone starts watching the guys on the other side instead of backchecking or defending. IDK why they wanted to come out the gates like that.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Also a very solid point. Boston and Vancouver, in particular, break out of their own zones very well and are through neutral in no time. Dallas' forwards tend to get caught up ice against your average team, so when a team is very good at navigating neutral, it just exacerbates the problem.
I also want to add that I think alot of it has to do with getting the big saves early. We've gone most of the season with Raycroft and Lethonen starting incredibly strong in net, especially when the team hasnt shown up early. Now that we aren't escaping the early minutes without giving up a goal it sort of snowballs before the team can get its legs going. This team has to start playing better earlier in games.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Who was the other 2 to go to the hospital besides Sawada?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:53 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Who was the other 2 to go to the hospital besides Sawada?
burish...maybe a problem facial bone
barch....maybed a scratch on his eye

burish did return with that nasty looking eye for awhile. I didn't catch exactly when he left for the hospital, i wonder if it somehow managed to get even worse. It was pretty swollen.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Kritter471

I believe Burish left at the second intermission or slightly before. He had the primary assist on the Skrastins goal with his eye half swollen shut, and Razor remarked that it was well on its way to being completely closed.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
CountrytotheCore

B's fan here... I was kinda curious if you agreed with most of us B's fans that the Paille hit was unnecessary? I also wanted to know your opinion on the other minor calls that happened throughout the game. Personally I couldn't believe how agressive the refs got, especially with the misconducts to Ott and Chara.

CountrytotheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrytotheCore View Post
B's fan here... I was kinda curious if you agreed with most of us B's fans that the Paille hit was unnecessary? I also wanted to know your opinion on the other minor calls that happened throughout the game. Personally I couldn't believe how agressive the refs got, especially with the misconducts to Ott and Chara.
The misconducts were pretty clearly a control call (as in not letting the game get any further out of control). The refs had just broken up a scrum and then Chara and Ott reengaged, even if only for some verbal sparring. The refs very well may have told that scrum that "The next guys who pair up are gone for 10" and Chara and Ott went for it.

I saw what Paille wanted to do on the hit, but it was executed super poorly and was exceedingly dangerous. He was trying to make the right play (knock the puck carrier off the puck), but he has to be aware he's coming from the blind side and just bowl through Sawada's shoulder or hip instead of trying to put his shoulder into him. Plus I think it was charging regardless (both leaving his feet and distance traveled), but a lot of things are charging.

So I'm not sure I'd call it unnecessary, per se, unless you mean unnecessarily violent.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
This team has never played well when its looking to pick fights. Everyone starts watching the guys on the other side instead of backchecking or defending. IDK why they wanted to come out the gates like that.
I actually took a completely different view of the way the physicality unfolded. Boston appeared to be the aggressor in virtually every circumstance; the quick jump on Burish after that very close off-sides call said it all to me. That and the fact that the guy they went after right off the hop was Ott. It seems the last swim through Boston two years ago was remarkably fresh in the mind of the Bruins. I thought it was good the Stars didn't back down from the fights. Although our guys very rarely actually win a fight, the fact that they'll oblige when it makes sense is a positive to me as far as team chemistry goes. The fighting had nothing to do with blown defensive coverage on the first two goals.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
crawz87

raycroft was not to blame on the 2 goals, both were defensive break downs, but our goal-tending has been awful the last 5 games or so.

crawz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Kritter471

Campbell fought Ott, at least allegedly, because of a charging penalty Ott laid on Campbell last year when Campbell was playing for Florida.

That would explain why that particular fight happened so fast and why they were matched up in the starting lineup.

The rest was a big pile of confusion.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:07 AM
catters078

I think this game will galvanize the team, we did show alot of heart in that comeback.

Hopefully the injuries are more than 1-2 games..

with a bit of luck we can get 1 or 2 pts in philly, then get Benn back and i think we will be back on track.

As much as i hate them from tonight..I will root for Boston next game as we need em to bea SJ.

go timmy

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Campbell fought Ott, at least allegedly, because of a charging penalty Ott laid on Campbell last year when Campbell was playing for Florida.

That would explain why that particular fight happened so fast and why they were matched up in the starting lineup.

Regardless though, if that big mess from two seasons ago had never happened, and had Ott not played such a starring role in it from a Boston point of view I doubt very much comes from a charging penalty to Ott from last year. What we witnessed this evening goes well beyond a one for one grudge of some sort. I'm just glad Ott went with Campbell and even happier with Crawford's response in terms of replacement personnel.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:

This one.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Paille gets 4 games; the NHL got this one right. And it didn't matter who was the recipient of the hit.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
vofty

agreed 4 games was about what I was expecting. DBD though is none too happy with 4 games
Quote:
it would be nice if the NHL actually backed up their tough talk on these kinds of hits with actions that speak louder than their words. As it is, this amounts to nothing more than grandstanding on the part of the league.
Bit of a shame that the best thing Sawada will most likely be known for at the NHL level is being the recipient of this hit. Hopefully he heals fast and get back to playing.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Another very entertaining game with the Stars last night guys. I thought it was over at 2-0 to be honest, but Dallas had a lot of fight left in 'em after being embarrassed in the first period.

Hopefully Sawada isn't too dinged up from the hit. It doesn't change the result of the hit, but at least there was SOME consequence in the form of the 4 gamer. Trust me when I'd say you'd be reeling a lot harder had Paille walked a free man.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Any news on Sawada? I see here he was in the hospital?

My wife and her family are long time family friends of the Sawadas, we didn't even know he'd been recalled until we saw the hit on replay. My wife was pretty POed at Paille.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote