HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wingers, deadline, insanity Feb. 28th|part3

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
hctopcheds11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
You guys have probably seen the page but according to TSN, Penner, Versteeg and Voracek are all in play. They've apparently been reading our board religiously the last 6-8 weeks. We should get royalties for this stuff! Of those guys, Penner fits our mold the best IMO and is the surest bet. No idea what EDM would want for him but he's due $4.2M next year so that'd mean Goligoski + Grinder or Kunitz + Grinder (which wouldn't help our cause any)....
I have no idea what Penner would fetch and to be honest, if he was who we were going to acquire, I'd consider sending Tangradi back as the main piece. Penner is basically what we want Tangradi to become but he's ready and under contract for another year. I love power forwards, in fact, thats how I categorize my game but I just don't see the need to have two (Penner and Tangradi) and Kunitz, who isn't exactly a high skilled foward, in our top 6 next year. I just really would like more of an injection of skill in our top 6, though obviously Penner would be a big upgrade.

To me, I'd rather see:

Hemsky
Kunitz
Tangradi
UFA Tweener or Jeffrey/Letestu/Dupuis

then

Penner
Kunitz
Tangradi
UFA Tweener or Jeffrey/Letestu/Dupuis

I just think option A offers the Penguins a much better mixture of skill/toughness and size then option 2. Even though I view Penner as much more then a complimentary player, I would like to see a winger who can create a bit more then the Kunitz, Tangradi, Penner types of the world (not that they are all similar players). Obviously Penner would be an upgrade over anyone we have, I just would like more skill infused into the lineup.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Fair enough. All things considered I still think he'd fit in that slot nicely.
I'd love to have him too. I just wasn't sure of the comparison and tbh, I could be wrong too. But from what I've seen, I see him as a bit different then Sykora. I really can't think of a player he reminds me of and I've been trying to think of one the past few minutes.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Another 1,000 down.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
You guys have probably seen the page but according to TSN, Penner, Versteeg and Voracek are all in play.
Can't believe CBJ would make Voracek available, but if they are...

Old
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I can't believe CBJ would make Mason available, but if they are... I sure hope the Flyers don't pick him up.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Can't believe CBJ would make Voracek available, but if they are...
I think he'd cost Goligoski + and call me crazy, but I'd consider it.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Aud Won*

At this point and considering our injuries all the players being proposed here would likely help us. It's all contingent on the price of course, but with Geno being out for the season I'd be highly surprised if one of these (relatively) big names didn't end up here.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I have no idea what Penner would fetch and to be honest, if he was who we were going to acquire, I'd consider sending Tangradi back as the main piece.
Yah I think for sure whatever EDM wants, it's going to be a proven roster player and maybe a pick depending on who the player is. They have an overload of "talented young guys without much experience or leadership". In fact I think they were hoping Penner would be that guy when the whole Anaheim mess took place but he never did. But we don't need him to lead anything, just score and be a thorn in the opposition's side which he could do well. Goligoski seems the most likely candidate based on their need and salary cap numbers what else would be included I have no idea.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I think he'd cost Goligoski + and call me crazy, but I'd consider it.
I would as well and even if this isn't the move, Goligoski being involved in a trade such as this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Without Sid, Geno, and Fleury clicking on all cylinders, I don't see this team beating 4 teams 4 out of 7 games. With that said, I just hope Shero doesn't try and sell the farm for a rental and bring in a big name to try and replace Malkin, hoping we can win it. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be upset if Shero didn't make any moves.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Is Voracek really that good? I haven't watched many Blue Jackets games, so I have nothing to base an opinion on. But he seems to be talked about on here in the same breath as more established guys like Penner and Hemsky.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

He's got a pretty high ceiling but because he's been stuck in sucksville, no one really knows what he's capable of on a good team. I don't think there's any question a guy like Hemsky is more talented and capable... Penner's a toss-up. But of the three guys I mentioned Voracek would almost certainly cost the least and probably could be had for a good prospect and late pick, unlike the others. Now is the right time to buy on a guy like that IMO.

Unless Burke really loves Tangradi and really is not happy with Versteeg, in which case a good prospect and an early pick might get him. Penner or Hemsky would definitely require a good roster player to be going the other way though.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Yah I think for sure whatever EDM wants, it's going to be a proven roster player and maybe a pick depending on who the player is. They have an overload of "talented young guys without much experience or leadership". In fact I think they were hoping Penner would be that guy when the whole Anaheim mess took place but he never did. But we don't need him to lead anything, just score and be a thorn in the opposition's side which he could do well. Goligoski seems the most likely candidate based on their need and salary cap numbers what else would be included I have no idea.
Good post. And yes as I just alluded to, Goose is the most marketable commodity we have that we might be willing to deal away.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Voracek is not worth more than Goligoski. They basically put up around the same amount of points and goals. I'd almost always rather have the D-Man if the production is close. Regardless, I don't see either side being interested in a 1 for 1 with those 2. I could see a deal happening, but there'd have to be more pieces involved going both ways. Probably a depth forward going to Columbus and a depth D-Man going to Pittsburgh.

I'd say Versteeg is the most likely guy for us since there's a better chance Burke has a man-crush on Tangradi than the Oilers or Jackets do. I also doubt Shero breaks up his defense and moves Gogo, but it is possible.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:42 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Unless the organization knows Despres will be ready next year, I think it would be a mistake to trade away Gogo. Once he learns to become more consistent and get's better with his stick defensively, he is going to be an awesome threat from the blueline. Right now, outside of Letang, who else is an offensive threat from our blueline, if Gogo is moved?

Goose has proven he can be very effective at the NHL level and once he can keep the consistency he brings the first 1/4 of the season for the entire season, he's gonna be great to have.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
FDBluth

I don't want Versteeg. The only thing he has is some nifty puck skills. He doesn't think the game at that high of a level and doesn't skate unless he wants to.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I don't want Versteeg. The only thing he has is some nifty puck skills. He doesn't think the game at that high of a level and doesn't skate unless he wants to.
Anything more and you're giving up very legitimate assets. Are you prepared to do so? FYI I find it funny everyone else's players have these glaring flaws that the likes of Kennedy and Letestu don't. If you want some actual talent but don't want to give up the farm this is the type of player you go after.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Which is why he's actually affordable. If he didn't have those two flaws, he'd be a]making twice what he does and b]pretty much untouchable.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Hemsky/Umber/Penner/Voracek or bust for me. Versteeg or Kulemin wouldnt be bad either, but I definitely don't wanna see Kovy or Ruutu or Arnott or someone like that brought in for no reason.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGOgadgetGuinos View Post
Hemsky/Umber/Penner/Voracek or bust for me. Versteeg or Kulemin wouldnt be bad either, but I definitely don't wanna see Kovy or Ruutu or Arnott or someone like that brought in for no reason.
Depends on the asset we give. I'd be fine with giving a future mid-rounder or a late rounder this year to take a flier on someone like Kovy, but if we're spending a 1st, 2nd or good prospect then I want someone young and signed that will also be here next year too.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGOgadgetGuinos View Post
Yeah, the guys you mentioned I'd be interested in myself. If the price is amicable then I would fully expect RS to acquire one of those players. Umberger would be at the top of my list because I think DB likes guys like that, and in addition RJ has had good post season numbers and success.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Depends on the asset we give. I'd be fine with giving a future mid-rounder or a late rounder this year to take a flier on someone like Kovy, but if we're spending a 1st, 2nd or good prospect then I want someone young and signed that will also be here next year too.
I think thats the beauty of Penner, Hemsky, Umberger and Voracek. They are all either signed or an RFA after this season.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Kulemin would be sick... same with Voracek, Hemksy or Weiss.. Versteeg would be fine but not at the expense of something like Tangradi/Despres.

It's cool that the deadline is really interesting now, at least.

Closed Thread