HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Gets Scratched? / Line Combos

Old
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
gers*

vCash: 500
Who Gets Scratched? / Line Combos

With Callahan, Dubinsky, Feds and Prospal returning shortly, who loses their spot?

The lineup from last game against FLA was:

Sean Avery - Artem Anisimov - Marian Gaborik
Wojtek Wolski - Derek Stepan - Mats Zuccarello
Chad Kolarik - Brian Boyle - Brandon Prust
Evgeny Grachev - Kris Newbury - Chris Drury (C)

Assuming Newbury, Kolarik and Grachev would be the first 3 to go, is Drury the first to get scratched if/when all 4 return?

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

After the Whale call-ups, it should be Drury for sure.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I say Drury. Unless he does something spectacular that shows he's better than any of the other guys, he's a goner. Personally I wouldn't mind the scratch. The team did well without Cap'n Dru for most of the season.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Avery's playing a little better. He's skating a lot better but he's still not producing. He does things with the puck that just seem stupid at times like his blind passes. He does a lot of work behind the net but nothing comes of it really ever. Sometimes he makes just dumb passes in the offensive zone that become turnovers going the other way. And he never knows how to stay on side.

But I think it has to be drury. He just isnt doing enough to stay in the lineup. Prospal with practically one leg would probably be more effective than drury at this point.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Nosferatos

If Torts opt for Dru instead of Zuke, then he'll need a trip to the looney house.

Nosferatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

When EVERYONE is healthy, either Drury or Avery will be getting scratched.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Kolarik, Grachev, Dupont and Newbury are all gone. They were sent down yesterday.

Drury won't be scratched. That's my guess.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

It SHOULD be Drury, but it wont be.

Avery and Christensen will be the odd men out when all the reinforcements arrive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heres an idea:

Dubinsky - Prospal - Gaborik
Boyle - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Fedotenko - Drury - Prust

Avery/Christensen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanna keep the Boyle line intact? Fine, then sit Drury and roll 4 lines.

Dubinsky - Prospal - Gaborik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Those are very strong lines.
Or, You can swap Dubi and Avery and reunite that Dubi-AA-Cally line that dominated early in the season.

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Prospal - Gaborik

that could work.

I'm really hoping that Drury sits. I'm not just saying that because he's Drury and the contract and all. Hes done nothing, Kolarik and Newbury did more things offensively then he did in the limited time they saw. Thats saying a LOT. Defensively and PK, fine, he can be used. Faceoffs may be the only thing thats keeping him from being sat imo. 56.5% leads the team by a huge margin.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-26-2011 at 01:14 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Cmox

I would hope Drury but from what Joe and Sam were saying last night it may be Zucca.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Avery's playing a little better. He's skating a lot better but he's still not producing. He does things with the puck that just seem stupid at times like his blind passes. He does a lot of work behind the net but nothing comes of it really ever. Sometimes he makes just dumb passes in the offensive zone that become turnovers going the other way. And he never knows how to stay on side.

But I think it has to be drury. He just isnt doing enough to stay in the lineup. Prospal with practically one leg would probably be more effective than drury at this point.
With Dubinsky and Girardi out of the lineup, Avery was leading assist man on the team. He does only have 2 goals on the year but he is producing pretty close to the pace he usually does.

Drury deserves to see the bench, as hard as that might be to come to grips with.

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

That's a really solid 4 lines in my opinion.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
With Dubinsky and Girardi out of the lineup, Avery was leading assist man on the team. He does only have 2 goals on the year but he is producing pretty close to the pace he usually does.

Drury deserves to see the bench, as hard as that might be to come to grips with.

Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

That's a really solid 4 lines in my opinion.
That was one of my options with Drury sitting. Thats a really deep and evenly distributed lineup IMO, and one they could definitely go to war with.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
bulax17

With the shootout abilities of MZA and Wolski I think EC is the odd man out.

bulax17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
That was one of my options with Drury sitting. Thats a really deep and evenly distributed lineup IMO, and one they could definitely go to war with.
You have to LOVE the fact that Wolski-Stepan-MZA would ultimately be your 3rd line. Even though it can be argued that the dubi-AA-cally line could make for the 3rd line though dubi has been having a great year and cally and AA have been having at the very least average years for themselves. Either way thats amazing. Its amazing to have talents like MZA and Wolski on the wings of a 3rd line with the very special playmaker stepan in the middle.

Whats even more amazing is you have your current 18 goal scorer centering the 4th line in Boyle. It just shows the amount of depth. And Torts would start rolling all 4 lines a lot more evenly in ice time. Thats a plus because this way your forwards wont be as tired during games. They'll have more energy. And that would continue right into the playoffs.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
XLJ

IMO it should be Drury. He has been invisible. Avery is third on this team in assists and he adds jam.

Dubinsky-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Prust

I think those are 4 really good lines assuming Prospal can still play well after his injury.

Last edited by XLJ: 01-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

honestly EC and Drury would be my top options..Avery is the perfect fourth liner. And we need to make some room for prospal.

Avery has been head and shoulders better than drury and i think it shows that Torts knows this with the ice time avery has been getting the past few games.

Christensen just isnt consistent enough to be a top line player and isnt grinding enough to be a bottom line player. Hes great in the shootouts but with MZA theres really no need for him anymore.

Christensen is an ideal extra man if he is willing and drury should be sat as he has done absolutely nothing to warrant a spot ahead of anyone else.

Not to be a pessimist but i also have a hard time believing that this team will be fully healthy at any point. Maybe late in the season but it remains to be seen.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Leetch3

the fact that 60% of the lineup was out and drury was still buried on the 4th line is proof that he should be the first guy to sit. counting the callups, when everyone is healthy drury becomes the 18th or 19th best forward.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Ke11y96

Prospal is not going to see first line center ice time when he first gets back, he'll work him in and use him on the power play but it'll be a weeks worth of games before Vinny Prospal gets back to first line ice time if not longer..If Torts stays with what works we currently have two lines that are every night difference makers when they are completely healthy and thats

Wolski - Steps - MZA

Now you have to figure everyone plays in positions they're capable of so with that said

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - MZA

The dilemma here amongst who to scratch is also in how will he disperse his ice time?? He still needs to put out there Anisimov, Callahan, Prospal, Drury, and Avery..I think we'll see in terms of the lines he goes with chemistry before he tinkers the lines again will be..

Avery - Christensen - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - MZA

You simply cannot scratch a single player on that line up based on their play and what they do for each line..besides Avery, or Christensen..The only player that could replace one of them is Prospal so when he's ready for first line duty I say you start with Christensen out and play vinny at center..if that doesnt work you put Christensen back in and Avery's out..but realistically there is no spot for Drury on this team anymore...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
ogie

prospal hasn't played a single game this year and everyone has him penciled in on the top two lines? i think it is going to take him a few games to get back in the swing of things, so i see him on the 4th line getting limited minutes until he is 100%.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
RangerFan23

If its based purely on play, has to be Drury. I do like him on the PK and obviously he's valuable for faceoffs, but its pretty obvious that hes a step slow right now. These things tend to work themselves out, who knows who will get hurt between now and when all the currently injured guys return...

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:43 PM
broadwayblue

Should be Drury. He arguably had his best game of the season last night...but it's still not enough.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
prospal hasn't played a single game this year and everyone has him penciled in on the top two lines? i think it is going to take him a few games to get back in the swing of things, so i see him on the 4th line getting limited minutes until he is 100%.
Ive continuously said this but people are stuck on the idea that hes going straight into the first line.

Players are in mid season form and prospal is in pre season form...if that.

IMO he wont even be on the top 2 lines by the end of the season.

Prospal = Fedetenko. He is a third liner at this stage in his career.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Ke11y96

regardless of how it gets decided by the trade deadline essentially the NYR's have to know they've got 3 proven lines that have chemistry and work well together

The missing player like most of the year is Gaborik..If Sather was to have one project from now till deadline time it is get Gaborik up and running with the right line mates and sure a combo of Christensen, Avery, and Prospal could just do the trick but if not that should be one of his attempts to fix and fix quickly...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

When I think of lineups i think of them being optimal, with everyone back. I think that was the purpose of this thread.

Of course Prospal is going to need some time to get back to himself. But you know as soon as he shakes some of the cob-webs off, if hes still standing and the player he used to be, hes going to be with Gabby again and thats on one of the "top two" lines.

Besides, Dubinsky wont be back right away either. This team will have a ton of depth when that happens.

If we are talking about the Pittsburgh game and that week or so after he and Cally come back it will probably look something like this:

Avery - Anisimov - Gaborik
Prospal/? - Boyle - Callahan
?/Prospal - Drury - Prust

Who am i missing?

I think Newbury or Kolarik is going to come back up

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
When I think of lineups i think of them being optimal, with everyone back. I think that was the purpose of this thread.

Of course Prospal is going to need some time to get back to himself. But you know as soon as he shakes some of the cob-webs off, if hes still standing and the player he used to be, hes going to be with Gabby again and thats on one of the "top two" lines.

Besides, Dubinsky wont be back right away either. This team will have a ton of depth when that happens.

If we are talking about the Pittsburgh game and that week or so after he and Cally come back it will probably look something like this:

Avery - Anisimov - Gaborik
? - Boyle - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Prust

Who am i missing?
Fedotenko, but either way nice lines. I see potential within them.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Do not touch zuccarello's line...

Do not..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote