HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #54 vs. New Jersey Devils

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #54 vs. New Jersey Devils
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Martin Biron 3 3.33%
Ryan Callahan 15 16.67%
Brandon Dubinsky 0 0%
Ryan McDonagh 1 1.11%
Vaclav Prospal 61 67.78%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Michael Sauer 4 4.44%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 1 1.11%
Other 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't think anyone really believes we're contenders. Based on how far the Flyers got last season, people have some type of hope; We're all cheering for something.

There's a reason why you're watching games now, despite admitting this team isn't a contender. There's a reason why you cheer when we score, and get all fussy when we lose. It's not because you're a fan. You want this team to succeed. You want this team to make the playoffs. The losses bother you because you have higher expectations of them. The expectations reached the point they're at, due to the performance they have displayed most of the year. It's deserving.
I do have higher expectations for them, because I know they can play better, and I never said I wasn't bothered by the loss (very bothered, actually...that last 2 seconds was heartbreaking), but as cliche as it sounds, they're a younger team with two slumping players eating 14 million dollars of cap space...I'm ****ing mad we lost, but you can't let it eat at you because everyone slumps.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
How about the system? Could that be it? We don't score off the cycle near enough. We control the puck for extended minutes but have nothing to show for it. Skilled players do not fit into that kind of system. How many goals did Gabby scor on the rush last season? How many times do we get in on the rush this season? We dump and chase a lot more. For me, the utter failure on the PP is th bigger problem. No excuse for how terrible it has been.
We control the puck for extended minutes and do nothing because there's no perimeter shot. We need to bring in someone who can drop bombs. And someone who's willing to do so as well, that's important. I don't want another guy like Rozsival or Poti who could shoot down a brick wall and never pull the trigger.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
The Redden: Breaking up the W2-Stephan-Zucca line.
How can he do that for the second game in row?
Because that is all Torts knows how to do. His coaching is mind boggling at times like his line combos. The Devils are playing the trap so he has our d-men attempting long passes in an attempt to spring us. Well the Devils are clogging the neutral zone, causing turnovers, or forcing icings and off sides. This is not how you beat the trap especially when you CAN'T complete a long pass on garbage ice like MSG has.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
RML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
5-1 in Montreal are you high? We are awful in Montreal historically and Hank is terrible there. They have made us look like chumps so far this season, now we will win 5-1 there saturday?

If we win 5-1, the end of each one of my posts for the rest of the year will end with Marc Staal the poster is GOD. I would love a 2-1 regulation win, i would settle for a 2-2 OT game and we win in the SO. However I don't expect much to change, our PP is horrendous and we don't play hockey for 60 minutes, that is a problem and the sign of a team that doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.
That wasn't really my point.

No **** I don't think they will win 5-1 on Saturday yet alone ACTUALLY win. It was basically just an example that after a loss, people overreact and then the next game the team wins, and everyone likes the team again.

Wasn't it just like last week, so many posters were praising this team saying how much they love the core of this team, the young guys, and how Torts is dealing with the "Youth Movement"? Now all of sudden posters here hate the team? lol...yeah the PP is a joke but people are acting like this team is heading for like last place.

RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I actually agree with the good majority of this, but I do have one question. What do you think the future of this team is going to be like? Where is this team headed?

Right now, we're probably headed for a 6-9 finish in the East. It seems like that's where we are every single year now. Next year? Looking at the roster, we'll probably be in the same exact spot. At some point, we're going to have to make some moves to get out of the 6-9 territory and start REALLY contending. We need goal scoring and we need help on the PP. Give this team a #1 center, a PP QB, and some experience on the back end and we could be a real contender. Right now, we have a crazy amount of young talent on the blue line (especially considering McIlrath). At least one of those guys is expendable, and right now I see MDZ as the odd man out. I don't see him fitting in here but I could see how other GMs would see him having value so I think we could package him (and others obviously) for one of the missing pieces. Then once Drury is off the books, we can hopefully acquire the other major missing piece. Then we might just be a contender.

The reality is Henrik isnt getting any younger. I'm tired of being stuck in the mediocre 6-9 range and I think we need to strike when the iron is hot. I'm tired of hearing a first round playoff exit is acceptable. Who the heck cares if we make the playoffs if we end up having a first round exit every time anyway? I want this team to finally be a contender and I think now is the time for us to make a serious move. We're just wasting a bunch of good energy right now.
I'm of the "Hank is getting old" mind too, but I think we'll be contenders within the next 3 years. IF we get Richards that would be absolutely huge. IF Kreider pans out, Stepan becomes a 1st line caliber center, Staal keeps progressing to become a consistently top d-man in the league, etc,etc, I believe we have an incredibly bright future.

But I think getting Richards is the catalyst that will turn us into a contender ASAP, which is why I think it's so essential and i'm becoming more and more comfortable with trading for him if we have to.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm of the "Hank is getting old" mind too, but I think we'll be contenders within the next 3 years. IF we get Richards that would be absolutely huge. IF Kreider pans out, Stepan becomes a 1st line caliber center, Staal keeps progressing to become a consistently top d-man in the league, etc,etc, I believe we have an incredibly bright future.

But I think getting Richards is the catalyst that will turn us into a contender ASAP, which is why I think it's so essential and i'm becoming more and more comfortable with trading for him if we have to.
Agreed 100% on Richards. What kind of deal could get him though?

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:56 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
TGfireandice Tom Gulitti
Lemaire on Rangers: "They are among the best teams in the league. Getting a win I hope is going to give us a lot of confidence."

We totally suck, guys.
So do we get any points in the standings for his compliment? Just wondering.

02-03-2011, 09:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post

No **** I don't think they will win 5-1 on Saturday yet alone ACTUALLY win. It was basically just an example that after a loss, people overreact and then the next game the team wins, and everyone likes the team again.

Wasn't it just like last week, so many posters were praising this team saying how much they love the core of this team, the young guys, and how Torts is dealing with the "Youth Movement"? Now all of sudden people hate the team? lol...yeah the PP is a joke but people are acting like this team is heading for like last place.
Who are the people that loved the team last week and hate the team this week? How about providing a specific example instead of broad generalizations when making a point?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
hahaha what!? Please make sense of that.
haha Sorry kid, go read a book, or do you not know what "Resting on your Laurels" means?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Richards is an excellent point passer on the PP but I really think what this team needs is a cannon. There's noone on this team that's a consistent threat to score directly from the blueline, straight to the net. Knowing it has to come inside at some point allows teams to collapse on us with all 4 guys. Richards is great at passing it inside, better than anyone we have, so he'll improve the PP somewhat, but he can't make that collapse go away.
I do think we need a bomb too, but that's much easier to obtain than somebody who can make a power-play run. When we played Dallas, that PP was a thing of absolute beauty. It was amazing me how smoothly they could cycle it. If we get Richards I think Gaborik can be our "cannon," albeit from the circles. What our PP tries to do is tire out the PKers and then find a good pass to hammer it home, but it doesn't often work because past 1 or 2 guys, most of our team isn't great at doing that.

I think we'll be especially lethal with a bomb AND Richards, but that's obvious.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Who are the people that loved the team last week and hate the team this week? How about providing a specific example instead of broad generalizations when making a point?

Provide an example of a specific poster that one week ago loved the team,
I love the fact that this team has the energy and heart to win games they have no reason winning at times.

I hate the fact that you can't win on heart and hustle alone consistently.

I think the attitude is there, and that's where I think Torts and his system have succeeded the most. Unfortunately, the talent just isn't there.

Old
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
haha Sorry kid, go read a book, or do you not know what "Resting on your Laurels" means?
Haha, I read a lot of books, but I had to Google that one. Learn something new every day!

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

The only problem with Richards would be that we would be throwing away the rest of this year because we can't trade for him. On top of that there would need to be some roster moves to clear out cap and I don't know if we can do it in time to get him.

With all that said I do hope we get him because it will instantly make us better.

02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Haha, I read a lot of books, but I had to Google that one. Learn something new every day!
That's ok, you're still the man around here!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

We've got a lively one. Oh boy. Articles updated for now.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
That's ok, you're still the man around here!
No, no, no, you're too kind!

If the Rangers keep proving you right though, you're going to be the man soon.

Old
NY Ranger86

lmao at you guys. 2 losses and the skies falling

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
We've got a lively one. Oh boy. Articles updated for now.
Thanks again, Wraps.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I love the fact that this team has the energy and heart to win games they have no reason winning at times.

I hate the fact that you can't win on heart and hustle alone consistently.

I think the attitude is there, and that's where I think Torts and his system have succeeded the most. Unfortunately, the talent just isn't there.
Its not about talent its about capitalizing on opportunities. Gaborik was invisible and passed up two solid chances for men on the other side of the ice. 2 post hiots that should have been goals. Consistently passing up on shots to wind it down the boards. Tortorella refuses to put players who have earned their stripes on the powerplay and keep on playing bums and unproven crap on it. It took Boyle forever to get on the PP, while Anisomov, Del Zotto, Zuccarello (love the guy just not PP ready) keep playing on it.

Again though, it seems like besides a handful of guys, this team refuses to take one timers/ hard shots. Its frustrating seeing that one powerplay at the end of the first look so good from point shots from Staal and then not go back to that gameplan and rinkadink around the boards on the powerplay.

Edit: also I find it funny that everyone thinks that Richards is some sort of answer to al;l our prayers. The guy is a distribution center who plays well in open ice. Torts' system is based around...Grit and fighting on the boards. I think with 2 awesome and 1 great center under the age of 25 (maybe Boyles a little older Im not sure) I don't think spending 8 mil for the next 5 years on any Center is a good idea.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post

Wasn't it just like last week, so many posters were praising this team saying how much they love the core of this team, the young guys, and how Torts is dealing with the "Youth Movement"? Now all of sudden posters here hate the team? lol...yeah the PP is a joke but people are acting like this team is heading for like last place.
I like that we are giving kids a shot like McDonagh, Sauer, Stepan and even Gilroy to some extent... But in love with this team? We don't play for 60 minutes heck even 40 minutes most nights. And some kids, ie Del Zotto need a trip to the whale, and Zucc, as much as he is great in the shootout has not looked as good since being split up from Wolski and Stepan.

I give this team credit for how hard they played with all the injuries, but the lack of consistent effort and the failure to address the fact that our PP IS COSTING US points every night, it's hard to love this team.

I haven't loved a rangers team since the 90's but i have supported all of them through the thick and thin, I just can't stomach another first round sweep like i saw vs the devils a few years back when I think we had 2 goals in 4 games or maybe it was 3? If we make the playoffs it would be nice to compete, showing up for 20 minutes a game and having a non-existent PP will not help that cause

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah...doubt i'd be able to go and hunt for articles talking about this game. You're tougher than I, Wraps.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

A couple of points before my grumpy butt goes to bed;

1) It's not the personnel on the PP; it's the system. They were trying to force it tonight with these cute passes. When they actually shot from the point they nearly scored. If Valentenko is the only guy in the system who will shoot first and ask questions later at this point, I'll drive him from Hartford to NY. You bomb it from the point and have guys around the net to create chaos and confusion. Why do we know this and Sullivan doesn't?

2)Carolina and Atlanta both lost tonight; so that's the glass half full.

3)Henrik is tired. His All Star Break was spent doing what? Flying to Carolina and playing more hockey! He needs off in Montreal where he isn't very good anyways. The best analogy is when you try go to work, then go to a concert, then go to work, then go to a Rangers game the next night; that wears you down.

4) Gaborik's lack of physicality doesn't work with this group. He's not a cycler at all which is what most of these guys are. It looks like the Gaborik/Prospal/Christensen connection is going to have to work again and Stepan goes back with Wolski and Zucc.

5)I hate losing to the Devils but let's sleep this one off and hopefully Biron has a nice homecoming to his province.

6)If they can't get Richards as a UFA, I'd go for Handzus for a year; that guy would fit in perfectly with this group and is damn good on faceoffs.

7)This whole Hank is getting old thing is stupid. I love the guy and hope he breaks all of Richter's records and wins a Conn Smythe, Vezina, and Cup, but the truth is, it's about the team, not him. He came in to the league when he did, it's not about winning one for him, it's about being a consistent franchise. He may not even be a Ranger in 5 years if he decides to leave after his next contract is up.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I like that we are giving kids a shot like McDonagh, Sauer, Stepan and even Gilroy to some extent... But in love with this team? We don't play for 60 minutes heck even 40 minutes most nights. And some kids, ie Del Zotto need a trip to the whale, and Zucc, as much as he is great in the shootout has not looked as good since being split up from Wolski and Stepan.

I give this team credit for how hard they played with all the injuries, but the lack of consistent effort and the failure to address the fact that our PP IS COSTING US points every night, it's hard to love this team.

I haven't loved a rangers team since the 90's but i have supported all of them through the thick and thin, I just can't stomach another first round sweep like i saw vs the devils a few years back when I think we had 2 goals in 4 games or maybe it was 3? If we make the playoffs it would be nice to compete, showing up for 20 minutes a game and having a non-existent PP will not help that cause
I disagree, I think this team is easy to love as a Ranger fan. Youth combined with winning and grit. They might not be Stanley Cup contenders but the hard work ethic alone is enough for me to get excited about the team. The fact that any one of our defenseman besides Gilroy would drop the gloves to defend their teammates alone makes me a happy camper. The addition of hard working 3rd liners getting goals and speed on the wings, I love this team, I just hope some of the bigger names would play better. It starts with them...Gaborik, Drury, etc. If they play like there is no tomorrow (which in my opinion RIGHT now they are not) then I think itll put us over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
A couple of points before my grumpy butt goes to bed;

1) It's not the personnel on the PP; it's the system. They were trying to force it tonight with these cute passes. When they actually shot from the point they nearly scored. If Valentenko is the only guy in the system who will shoot first and ask questions later at this point, I'll drive him from Hartford to NY. You bomb it from the point and have guys around the net to create chaos and confusion. Why do we know this and Sullivan doesn't?

2)Carolina and Atlanta both lost tonight; so that's the glass half full.

3)Henrik is tired. His All Star Break was spent doing what? Flying to Carolina and playing more hockey! He needs off in Montreal where he isn't very good anyways. The best analogy is when you try go to work, then go to a concert, then go to work, then go to a Rangers game the next night; that wears you down.

4) Gaborik's lack of physicality doesn't work with this group. He's not a cycler at all which is what most of these guys are. It looks like the Gaborik/Prospal/Christensen connection is going to have to work again and Stepan goes back with Wolski and Zucc.

5)I hate losing to the Devils but let's sleep this one off and hopefully Biron has a nice homecoming to his province.

6)If they can't get Richards as a UFA, I'd go for Handzus for a year; that guy would fit in perfectly with this group and is damn good on faceoffs.
all great points, except for 6) I don;t think its additions at this point, its just a simple fact of guys like Stepan, Anisomov, Del Zotto and etc.growing into their spots...I think the team should stay 90% intact for next years push regardless of this years outcome.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
A couple of points before 1) It's not the personnel on the PP; it's the system. They were trying to force it tonight with these cute passes. When they actually shot from the point they nearly scored. If Valentenko is the only guy in the system who will shoot first and ask questions later at this point, I'll drive him from Hartford to NY. You bomb it from the point and have guys around the net to create chaos and confusion. Why do we know this and Sullivan doesn't?
Do we have a single defenseman who can get the puck to the net from the point consistently?

Even when they do try, they either hit the glass or it gets blocked in front and cleared out of the zone.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
OverTheCap

I wouldn't be too concerned about Hank getting "old." Most goalies have long careers into their late 30s. They have the highest average age in the league.

We need to wait for our young defense to mature before we can seriously contend, there's nothing we can do about that but wait. Experience is crucial for defenseman as they usually peak later than forwards, and our defense is substantially younger than those of recent cup winners. Not to mention that they we have some young forwards too that should only get better with time. The growing pains suck and are extremely frustrating but there's nothing that can be done to speed up the process.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote