HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #54 vs. New Jersey Devils

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #54 vs. New Jersey Devils
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Martin Biron 3 3.33%
Ryan Callahan 15 16.67%
Brandon Dubinsky 0 0%
Ryan McDonagh 1 1.11%
Vaclav Prospal 61 67.78%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Michael Sauer 4 4.44%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 1 1.11%
Other 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
A couple of points before my grumpy butt goes to bed;

1) It's not the personnel on the PP; it's the system. They were trying to force it tonight with these cute passes. When they actually shot from the point they nearly scored. If Valentenko is the only guy in the system who will shoot first and ask questions later at this point, I'll drive him from Hartford to NY. You bomb it from the point and have guys around the net to create chaos and confusion. Why do we know this and Sullivan doesn't?

2)Carolina and Atlanta both lost tonight; so that's the glass half full.

3)Henrik is tired. His All Star Break was spent doing what? Flying to Carolina and playing more hockey! He needs off in Montreal where he isn't very good anyways. The best analogy is when you try go to work, then go to a concert, then go to work, then go to a Rangers game the next night; that wears you down.

4) Gaborik's lack of physicality doesn't work with this group. He's not a cycler at all which is what most of these guys are. It looks like the Gaborik/Prospal/Christensen connection is going to have to work again and Stepan goes back with Wolski and Zucc.

5)I hate losing to the Devils but let's sleep this one off and hopefully Biron has a nice homecoming to his province.

6)If they can't get Richards as a UFA, I'd go for Handzus for a year; that guy would fit in perfectly with this group and is damn good on faceoffs.
Wow that was a near perfect post, I agree with everything except for maybe Handzus as I am not sure where he fits in. I also didn't think Gaborik lacked physicality tonight, i saw him make 2 hits, not bonecrushers, but he hit and he was going to the net, he just didn't get the puck with much space.

I don't think Stepan is the center for him, I have said that numerous times, I want to see
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zucc
Drury-Boyle-Prust (shutdown line for teams top lines)

I don't understand why this is so hard for Torts to try?

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
MaximusT

not gonna lie I was a bit alarmed when I read during the GDT that Gaborik has only scored in NINE games this season....
he looked pretty weak today as well, not gunna lie. idk what happened to some of the superstars this year, with both Gabby and OV. I've been patiently waiting for him to finally break out and show atleast HALF oh what he did last year. Thought it was gunna be the Leafs game, after which he would turn it all around and start potting goals again. So frustrating just watching him half-assedly skate around the ice doing ****.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Do we have a single defenseman who can get the puck to the net from the point consistently?

Even when they do try, they either hit the glass or it gets blocked in front and cleared out of the zone.
How many defenseman can do that on a consistent basis in the league, I can't name 10 right now maybe 7-8 that come to mind, again its a frustrating loss but I tend to agree with White Plains Batman, its not personnel as much as it is the PP system. Staal and Del Zotto had about 3-4 rockets from the point that were awesome chances, its all about getting guys to recognize when to drive from the wings.

But I'm sure they'll continue their style of play...I love Tortorella, his passion, his in game decision making but the guy is stubborn without a doubt and the one thing that has been going on all year is a lack of shots getting though from our D-men. Girardi, Gilroy, Eminger, Sauer all have to start letting it go a little more instead of driving it down the boards all the time. Prospals goal tonight is a perfect example of throwing it on net.

I don't think Stepan is the center for him, I have said that numerous times, I want to see
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zucc

love it, Maybe double shift Boyle sometimes with Avery and Gaborik because again, Im not sold on Prospal being able to keep up, although he scored a goal, he looked sluggish for a team based on intensity. Understandable considering its his 1st game back in a long time though.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
haha Sorry kid, go read a book, or do you not know what "Resting on your Laurels" means?
Reading comprehension is your friend. I didn't ask for you to define resting on your laurels :

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
I disagree, I think this team is easy to love as a Ranger fan. Youth combined with winning and grit. They might not be Stanley Cup contenders but the hard work ethic alone is enough for me to get excited about the team. The fact that any one of our defenseman besides Gilroy would drop the gloves to defend their teammates alone makes me a happy camper. The addition of hard working 3rd liners getting goals and speed on the wings, I love this team, I just hope some of the bigger names would play better. It starts with them...Gaborik, Drury, etc. If they play like there is no tomorrow (which in my opinion RIGHT now they are not) then I think itll put us over the top.
Wrong, you are romanticizing this team

Staal doesn't drop the gloves - see the Semin fight
McDonagh - Wears a visor and have yet to see him drop the gloves
Eminger - Have not seem him drop the gloves
Del Zotto - Has he ever dropped the gloves

Sauer will and Girardi did and got hurt

Now to the hard work ethic? If you call playing for 20 minutes tonight hard work ethic then can you get me a job where you work? This team plays in spurts, there is nothing to love about that. Some players play hard nosed games and with heart (Prust, callahan, sauer consistently) but this whole lineup does not play 60 minutes of hockey every game, i would love to get 45 minutes of consistent hockey at this point.

Drury needs to show up period, he is mr. invisible and gaborik needs to get going, I think prospal is going to help him, i pray he does.

How many games have we lost by a goal? yes we come back a lot, but a team i would love takes leads and wins, scores PP goals, plays 60 minutes of hard nosed hockey. This team shows that in glimpses, maybe if we get to the playoffs we will turn it up. Also our goaltending has been so streaky it is so frustrating.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
PawelW007

[QUOTE=PawelW007;30649092]How many defenseman can do that on a consistent basis in the league, I can't name 10 right now maybe 7-8 that come to mind, again its a frustrating loss but I tend to agree with White Plains Batman, its not personnel as much as it is the PP system. Staal and Del Zotto had about 3-4 rockets from the point that were awesome chances, its all about getting guys to recognize when to drive from the wings.

But I'm sure they'll continue their style of play...I love Tortorella, his passion, his in game decision making but the guy is stubborn without a doubt and the one thing that has been going on all year is a lack of shots getting though from our D-men. Girardi, Gilroy, Eminger, Sauer all have to start letting it go a little more instead of driving it down the boards all the time. Prospals goal tonight is a perfect example of throwing it on net.
to the guy who said:
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zucc

love it, Maybe double shift Boyle sometimes with Avery and Gaborik because again, Im not sold on Prospal being able to keep up, although he scored a goal, he looked sluggish for a team based on intensity. Understandable considering its his 1st game back in a long time though.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Janerixon

[QUOTE=PawelW007;30649148]
Quote:
to the guy who said:
Avery-Prospal-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Zucc

I did like Boyle with Gaborik i think it was in the Atlanta game? I could see the double shift working, I would really like Boyle to get PP time as he is huge, has good hands, and can make a goalie's night miserable.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Reading comprehension is your friend. I didn't ask for you to define resting on your laurels :
You asked for an explanation of what I said because you didn't understand it. I didn't expect you to understand it though

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
How many defenseman can do that on a consistent basis in the league, I can't name 10 right now maybe 7-8 that come to mind, again its a frustrating loss but I tend to agree with White Plains Batman, its not personnel as much as it is the PP system. Staal and Del Zotto had about 3-4 rockets from the point that were awesome chances, its all about getting guys to recognize when to drive from the wings.
There aren't many, but it's no surprise that the best teams in the league seem to have those players.

Red Wings - Lidstrom
Bruins - Chara
Flyers - Pronger
Blackhawks - Keith
Pens - Letang (and Gonchar before him)
Caps - Green
Vancouver - Edler

Sure, telling our guys to shoot more will probably create a few more scoring opportunities. I won't debate that. But it's still not addressing a major roster problem - a PP QB with a shot from the point. We're gonna need one of them to be an actual contender. All the other contenders have one. What we have now isn't going to win the Cup, even with more experience. We have to make a move eventually.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Wrong, you are romanticizing this team

Staal doesn't drop the gloves - see the Semin fight
McDonagh - Wears a visor and have yet to see him drop the gloves
Eminger - Have not seem him drop the gloves
Del Zotto - Has he ever dropped the gloves

Sauer will and Girardi did and got hurt

Now to the hard work ethic? If you call playing for 20 minutes tonight hard work ethic then can you get me a job where you work? This team plays in spurts, there is nothing to love about that. Some players play hard nosed games and with heart (Prust, callahan, sauer consistently) but this whole lineup does not play 60 minutes of hockey every game, i would love to get 45 minutes of consistent hockey at this point.

Drury needs to show up period, he is mr. invisible and gaborik needs to get going, I think prospal is going to help him, i pray he does.

How many games have we lost by a goal? yes we come back a lot, but a team i would love takes leads and wins, scores PP goals, plays 60 minutes of hard nosed hockey. This team shows that in glimpses, maybe if we get to the playoffs we will turn it up. Also our goaltending has been so streaky it is so frustrating.
Some good counter points for sure. I should have expanded my "dropping the gloves" to overall physicality, a bit of my bad and you're right about Del Zotto, I guess I group him into that young and hard gritty working group even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Inexcusable on my part.

However Eminger isn't scared to do so, or I don't get that vibe atleast, I just don't think he really has the opportunity to do so and he is a hitter and protects Henrik real well IMO.

Drury is a joke and really has been since his second year with the team, its embarrassing at this point. A Buddy and I on a regular basis talk about how "Really, this is our Captain" Honestly I don;t care how classy or how nice of a guy this guy is. Which honestly is a nice way of saying "Well, he sucks, but he knows how to give out generic team slogan when he has to, even though he doesn't produce or do anything effectively"

I feel like they give effort for a solid 50 minutes a game, just a lot of times the system they play relies on winning puck battles. I don't think its effort as much as it is positioning and getting players to predict the next move. As a team we have way too many offside calls and way too many instances of " Wow theres 2 guys behind the net and a third creeping on the edge of the boards"

When the opposing defenseman makes the right read we are 2 on 3 automatically. Thank goodness as a team the Rangers hustle back. And yes there are some that are more hustle worthy then others but its a generalization.

For instance tonight we lost by a goal but really the fact we only lost by 1 is pretty noteworthy, not praiseworthy by any stretch but still, down 3-0 to 3-2 and hitting a post with 2 seconds left. The team fights

Old
02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I don't know how it's possible:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Vaclav Prospal ($1.500m) / Brad Richards ($7.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.750m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.250m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Brian Boyle ($1.750m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Steve Eminger ($1.750m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,375,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): -$3,975,000

Drury isn't going anywhere. Unless we don't bring back Prospal and Eminger I really have no idea how we fit Richards.

02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
There aren't many, but it's no surprise that the best teams in the league seem to have those players.

Red Wings - Lidstrom
Bruins - Chara
Flyers - Pronger
Blackhawks - Keith
Pens - Letang (and Gonchar before him)
Caps - Green
Vancouver - Edler

Sure, telling our guys to shoot more will probably create a few more scoring opportunities. I won't debate that. But it's still not addressing a major roster problem - a PP QB with a shot from the point. We're gonna need one of them to be an actual contender. All the other contenders have one. What we have now isn't going to win the Cup, even with more experience. We have to make a move eventually.
I'm not debating IF we need a PP QB, I'm just saying its not like we can go and trade for one for a 7th rounder and a bag of pucks. We've been looking for PP QB since Leetch left. It all starts with the coaching staff being more assertive regarding getting pucks to the net on the Powerplay. Its frustrating watching the Rangers screw around for the first 90 seconds of the powerplay trying to be cute and then be like oh yea we don;t have a shot goal!

Also No way Richards signs for under 8, unless he does a hometown discount type situation with Dallas, which I all depends on how well this season flows for them. 7.5 mil is his salary now, not what he's going to be asking especioally with Hossa almost 10, and Kovalchuk getting basically 8 and a half until he hits 90 years old.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
NikC

i'm just amazed how for years now this team has had no powerplay and it just keeps on going and going...

It's personel and it's the system they use, which looks like no system at all. I think their approach is to let it go and be intuitive, but this bunch simply isn't that talented. What does Mike Sullivan actually do for this team?

In general the rangers teams of the past few seasons have played very dumb offensively. players carry the puck deep, go behind the net and do nothing with it. Useless perimeter shots, etc.

Gaborik dogging it is killing this team right now. he's being paid to be a go to guy and he's on drugs.

This team cannot continue with Drury in the lineup any longer. make a move and bring a player that can contribute.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Salary cap is expected to go up ~3 mil.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also what I think was lost amongst all this disappointment tonight is how great Vinny P was, imo.

He was making stuff happen everytime he got involved...3 scoring chances, fluky goal aside that would've been a nice set-up to Steps, a few set-ups to Gaborik...

Let's hope he can keep it up.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:06 PM
ceej730

Its so hard to have faith in this team. A team that can barely put together goals and plays as sloppy as they do. The powerplay is absolutely horrid.

I am scared for the future especially with the rest of our February schedule. Compared to Montreal's we are looking like we are in the *******. It sucks to know that a team like the Thrashers who were maybe 5 points ahead of has 9 otl where we only have 4. In this league pulling out points from your ass and getting to overtime plays a huge role.

I hate just seeing us be a first round playoff warm up for the opposing team. Its just frustrating and losing faith.

ceej730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Some good counter points for sure. I should have expanded my "dropping the gloves" to overall physicality, a bit of my bad and you're right about Del Zotto, I guess I group him into that young and hard gritty working group even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Inexcusable on my part.

However Eminger isn't scared to do so, or I don't get that vibe atleast, I just don't think he really has the opportunity to do so and he is a hitter and protects Henrik real well IMO.

Drury is a joke and really has been since his second year with the team, its embarrassing at this point. A Buddy and I on a regular basis talk about how "Really, this is our Captain" Honestly I don;t care how classy or how nice of a guy this guy is. Which honestly is a nice way of saying "Well, he sucks, but he knows how to give out generic team slogan when he has to, even though he doesn't produce or do anything effectively"

I feel like they give effort for a solid 50 minutes a game, just a lot of times the system they play relies on winning puck battles. I don't think its effort as much as it is positioning and getting players to predict the next move. As a team we have way too many offside calls and way too many instances of " Wow theres 2 guys behind the net and a third creeping on the edge of the boards"

When the opposing defenseman makes the right read we are 2 on 3 automatically. Thank goodness as a team the Rangers hustle back. And yes there are some that are more hustle worthy then others but its a generalization.

For instance tonight we lost by a goal but really the fact we only lost by 1 is pretty noteworthy, not praiseworthy by any stretch but still, down 3-0 to 3-2 and hitting a post with 2 seconds left. The team fights
I agree on Drury and I certainly agree this team doesn't quit, but it is not an optimal place to for this team to be in, down 1-0, 2-0 every game and have to fight back. Eminger may in fact drop the gloves if he needed to, he certainly does not shy away from contact as was the scouting report when we acquired him.

I just have to disagree on the 50 minutes of effort, they came out strong, gave up a fast goal, fought back for a bit then disappeared and the 2nd period they did not come to play until Callahan had that goal. The last full effort I can remember is the Maple Leafs game, I mean seriously, when is the last time you can remember saying wow this team didn't stop from start to finish? Certainly not the Atlanta game and Panther game, I thought they were good against the Caps but had times where they sat back.

This team has a lot of potential to be good and finish higher than a 7th or 8th seed, but they need to fix the PP and fast, have better starts (not always being down after 1 or 2 period) and play a full 60 minute game.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Gresch04

"Celebrating" my 33rd year as a Ranger fan (if you call self-inflicted nut shots for 3 plus decades worth celebrating). I know how this story ends.

Here's the theme song for the rest of the season courtesy of Mr. Paul Simon:

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away...You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away...

At what point does the mocking chant become "19-94!" Sucks to be a fan of this franchise.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:19 PM
NikC

Torts said it in the media tonight, it's on Henrik. The last three games we should have gotten at least 5 out of 6 pts with DECENT goaltending.

The way people carried on when Henrik was called out after the Florida loss was ridiculous! Now here you have the coach calling him out for his play the past 3 games.

Every year Henrik gets cut alot of slack, as good as he is at times he implodes quit a bit. he gives up goals than should never go in. when the guy is off he is off and can't regain composure.

it's going on 5 yrs now, and i'm still waiting for him to go to the next level. many act like he's always been there but it hasn't happened yet.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresch04 View Post
"Celebrating" my 33rd year as a Ranger fan (if you call self-inflicted nut shots for 3 plus decades worth celebrating). I know how this story ends.

Here's the theme song for the rest of the season courtesy of Mr. Paul Simon:

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away...You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away...

At what point does the mocking chant become "19-94!" Sucks to be a fan of this franchise.
take comfort in the fact that although this team lacks top scoring talent we drafted another defensman (again) who won't be ready for years...

5yrs since lockout and this team barely scores 2g a game.
how does this franchise plan on going forward with such a low level of scoring talent year after year.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Torts said it in the media tonight, it's on Henrik. The last three games we should have gotten at least 5 out of 6 pts with DECENT goaltending.

The way people carried on when Henrik was called out after the Florida loss was ridiculous! Now here you have the coach calling him out for his play the past 3 games.

Every year Henrik gets cut alot of slack, as good as he is at times he implodes quit a bit. he gives up goals than should never go in. when the guy is off he is off and can't regain composure.

it's going on 5 yrs now, and i'm still waiting for him to go to the next level. many act like he's always been there but it hasn't happened yet.
Torts might be sending another message. If the best player is getting called out, everybody is. He's bigger than Gaborik. I'm sure the guys in the room know that.

About Hank reaching another level - you're right to an extent. I mean, you can't get as consistent as he has been since he's been in the league. He's been getting us into the playoffs based on his performances for just about the five years that we did make it in.

To the other half, where is he to carry us in the playoffs? He's got us into the playoffs but been he's alright in 'em. Again, what's the team in front gonna do to help out for a series.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
lol what a joke this is. Some of you are seriously pathetic with all the overreacting.

So what...came back shaky after the allstar break. This team can win 5-1 on Saturday and all of sudden the sky isn't falling down anymore.

jeez relax....still over 2 months of hockey to be played.
what he said.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Just got back from the game, some thoughts.

Hank had a bad game, we could've easily won minus the two softies

Prospals celebrations are hilarious

We have to be the unluckiest team in terms of bounces and post. Dubinsky at the end of the first and then the deflection at the end.

Fun game great atmosphere, actually ran into Dave Maloney, still mad at myself for not getting a picture with him but thats besides the point.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
We played a very good 3rd period. The bounces went our way but just weren't able to finish. Give the team a few games. Most of these guys were out for about 2-4 weeks and now Prospal comes back after missing the entire season and is showing signs of life. We will improve, we will go back to the way we have been playing earlier in the season.

+ The Devils are a hot team as it is.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

We just need to win one. We're in a slump. We're 4-5-1 in the last 10. It had to happen eventually...

I'm confident we'll bounce back even though it sucks now.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote