HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning (02.04.2011, 7:30pm)

Old
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 500
It is my personal belief that the team turned a corner with this win.

It would be wise to take it with a few grains of salt.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:01 PM
txpd

lets see what happens tomorrow.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

If the team was looking for something to buy into, it could've certainly been it. If it was a confidence thing, it could've certainly been it. If it was tweaking the system till you got it right, could certainly be it.

02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
I really hate this argument. You're more entitled because you're older? Or have had the chance to root longer? Therefore, it's okay to be a bitter spoil sport? I'm only 26, does that automatically exclude me from the awesome fan club? I mean, I've only been functionally aware of the sport since I was 8-9, and only fully understanding of it since 11-12ish.

Still, I have an old hockey table I made in woodshop at 10 that features the Pens and Caps. And terrible pictures I took from the front rows of the SCF sweep by the DRW. I've been through some **** years with this team, notably the Hanlon years, and still find a way to give credit where it's due instead of *always* moaning about stuff.

I mean, hell, just being around the other DC franchises gives me perspective on how bad the Caps are *not* and how good a coach BB *is*. The wait for another cup appearance is *excruciating*, but I'll be damned if I allow myself to be miserable by choosing to harp on everything bad when we've got Alex ****ing Ovechkin and 10 years to get it right.

But yes, good win.
This. I'm 25 and feel exactly the same. I still have my ticket stub from game 4.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
they are doing it again

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:57 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
There is more to life than hockey and its just not worth getting upset over. Just learn to enjoy the highs and be indifferent to the lows (to the extent you can) and all will be good!

RE: The Caps ploy

You know..playing hockey I never understood why teams didn't use this strategy more often. You should just wait behind the net and force the other team to make the first move especially if they are sitting back and trapping. Growing up playing ice and roller there was this team (Fredrick Phantoms) who did this baffling strategy all game long...very frustrating...moreso than the trap!

Obviously like Backstrom said its only good if you are winning the game at the time.
Agree with the highs and lows statement, but speaking as a former MYHA player, damn the Frederick Phantoms .

Old
02-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Dude......I had no idea.

Hmm, maybe that is why our kids are doing so poorly compared to their international peers. A verbal tongue lashing after an "F" is considered worthy of therapy. Maybe instead of a lecture you would buy him a car and say "just try to raise it to a 'D" next time."

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Atlas

Quote:
i watched every second of the easter disaster vs the islanders.

i live in nc now. i keep up with the caps because its fun. when its not fun, dude, I find something more fun to do with myself. life is short and hate eats you up from the inside.

i mean...do you cheer or smile when they score? the feeling the doom crew gives off is that when the caps score there is no cheering. no happiness in mudville. its like they are just going robin ficker on their own team.
I am a great optimist. Life is amazing. The world is my playground. I love it even on those rare occaisions when its an exceptionally hard struggle.

But what does any of this have to do with the Washington Capitals? Am I bitter because I look and see a team going in the wrong direction? Am I cynical and miserable because we have no 2nd line center? NHL hockey doesn't hold any such power over me. I'll be great no matter what they do. But I *do* want to see them achieve their goal of winning multiple Stanley Cups. And so, I speak.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:09 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Hmm, maybe that is why our kids are doing so poorly compared to their international peers. A verbal tongue lashing after an "F" is considered worthy of therapy. Maybe instead of a lecture you would buy him a car and say "just try to raise it to a 'D" next time."
its not the tongue lashing for the failure. its the dismissal of the success my friend. we all have our approaches. that brings us back to the forum where your input is only negative.

i understand you better now. you are only here to vent your frustration.

Old
02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

I think we've turned the corner too(fingers crossed)...in fact I actually had stated after the MTL game that I thought our offense was finally starting to look like it needed to....but we just weren't hitting our shots.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
txpd

lets see what happens in the next handful of games. one good game is not a corner turned.

lets see the big guns deliver today

Old
02-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Capsman

Quote:
its not the tongue lashing for the failure. its the dismissal of the success my friend. we all have our approaches. that brings us back to the forum where your input is only negative.

i understand you better now. you are only here to vent your frustration.
Perhaps you didn't read my post carefully. Where did I say that I don't acknowledge the success? I said I don't go "on and on" talking about success. If my kid gets an "A" I give him a hug, tell him how proud I am, and give a reward. But if he gets an "F" he will get an ear full because there is more to talk about; my expectations of him, why he failed, what will happen in life if he keeps failing, how he will be restricted if he fails again, etc.

As for your statement that I "only post negative things". Would you care to make a little non-monetary bet on that? If you are wrong, you don't post for a week. If I am wrong, I do the same. Because I can assure you I have made positive posts about players and even the gameplan at times.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
txpd

nope. i dont take fools bets. your approach is not exactly balanced. you admit that.
lets leave it at that.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I attended the game and had pretty good seats on the end Varlamov defended twice. The Laich goal was pretty awesome, right in front of me and I didn't see Ovie shoot the puck but I saw it go in the net (I'll explain later why I missed it).

I wasn't sure what to think early in the first period when Erskine and Hannon were shooting pucks from their own blue line. Then when Alzner and Carlson were playing catch, I caught on. The Tampa fans around me were livid about it and only got angrier as the night went on.

Alzner and Carlson were the only ones really playing catch through the first 2 periods, then Green and Schultz picked up on it and did it the most in the third. Erskine and Hannon kept to the shooting it from the blue line strategy, I figure Bruce didn't like their puck handling skills as much and feared a costly turnover.

Tampa didn't know how to react to Alzner and Carlson, who did an amazing job against the Stamkos-St Louis line, especially later in the game.

On Ovechkin's goal, Knuble and Hedman had been battling in the crease, Hedman was shoving Knuble in the back (as you would expect in hockey), Knuble spun on him and got behind and delivered a pretty good cross check that knocked Hedman down, as Tampa fans stood up to yell at the refs Ovechkin shot it in. Not sure if that was caught on tv, but from where I was sitting I was kinda surprised it wasn't called.

Also Varlamov definitely knocked the net off on purpose the 2nd time in the third period, the ref seemed to be debating on calling a penalty, he didnt blow the whistle right away and was staring at Varly, then finally blew the whistle.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Capsman

Quote:
nope. i dont take fools bets. your approach is not exactly balanced. you admit that.
lets leave it at that.
I will take that as an admission that you exaggerated then. As for balance, I really don't have much good at all to write about Bruce. In the rare instances he has the team prepared, I will comment positively as I did the last game.

Old
02-06-2011, 03:15 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
I attended the game and had pretty good seats on the end Varlamov defended twice. The Laich goal was pretty awesome, right in front of me and I didn't see Ovie shoot the puck but I saw it go in the net (I'll explain later why I missed it).

I wasn't sure what to think early in the first period when Erskine and Hannon were shooting pucks from their own blue line. Then when Alzner and Carlson were playing catch, I caught on. The Tampa fans around me were livid about it and only got angrier as the night went on.

Alzner and Carlson were the only ones really playing catch through the first 2 periods, then Green and Schultz picked up on it and did it the most in the third. Erskine and Hannon kept to the shooting it from the blue line strategy, I figure Bruce didn't like their puck handling skills as much and feared a costly turnover.

Tampa didn't know how to react to Alzner and Carlson, who did an amazing job against the Stamkos-St Louis line, especially later in the game.

On Ovechkin's goal, Knuble and Hedman had been battling in the crease, Hedman was shoving Knuble in the back (as you would expect in hockey), Knuble spun on him and got behind and delivered a pretty good cross check that knocked Hedman down, as Tampa fans stood up to yell at the refs Ovechkin shot it in. Not sure if that was caught on tv, but from where I was sitting I was kinda surprised it wasn't called.

Also Varlamov definitely knocked the net off on purpose the 2nd time in the third period, the ref seemed to be debating on calling a penalty, he didnt blow the whistle right away and was staring at Varly, then finally blew the whistle.
Funny you mention that, Locker had a similar comment. He said the ref nearby had his hand half-raised (like, he was hesitant about making a call), then Ovechkin shot it. Guess we lucked out .