HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Caps best player right now?

Old
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Dream Big

vCash: 500
I'm biased. Can I vote?

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Badger36

Ovi and its not even close.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Ovi and its not even close.
have you been watching the games or even the box score? on how many nhl teams is a 25 goal scorer forward the best player on the team?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

well lets repharse the question, What injury to a player would cripple the team the most. Ovechkin

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
have you been watching the games or even the box score? on how many nhl teams is a 25 goal scorer forward the best player on the team?
9 million is a tad overpayment for a 25-30 goal scorer who hits but doesn't play a two-way game. Don't quote me but doesn't he have like 3 PPG this year?

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Don't quote me but doesn't he have like 3 PPG this year?
2ppg's. 16 seconds apart in Calgary.

geez....i sit here for the last 8 weeks reading the regular slamming of Knuble for one thing or another. Look at the numbers and Knuble and Ovechkin both have 9 goals since Dec 1. If Knuble sucks, then.....

Old
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

knuble doesnt have teams game planning on how to stop him and is often left wide open bc ovie is drawing 2 or 3 defenders. I doubt any teams keys to winning is "we have to stop knuble" be serious

Old
02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
txpd

thats always been the case. knuble is still doing his job. ovechkin is not. knuble is paid 2.8m to get beat up in the crease, risk having his face broken by a shot, and score the loose change. its hard to do when there isnt much change being created.

ovechkin is supposed to score 50 and knuble 20 something.

Old
02-04-2011, 07:32 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
well lets repharse the question, What injury to a player would cripple the team the most. Ovechkin
Our goaltending. If our goalies start playing average we are in for a rough end of the season.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

well we have 3 goalies and 1 goal scorer. you figure it out

Old
02-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Varly has been reaping the benefits of a more aggressive scheme. He has been playing very well though. But he is not stealing games. Still enough to probably be our MVP though. We need him to win games now, and its just not happening as often as we need it.

I think Ovechkin with no wristers nor whiskers is still close to our best player since all other teams still swarm to him. Proof is in the pudding.

Honorable mentions, Alzner Semin and the old Man.
I really disagree with this. It is honestly hard as hell to steal a game when your team's putting up goose eggs and singles. A goalies reaping the benefits of effective aggressive systems don't face 29 shots against per game. ...Which is 2 worse than last year.

Combined with the well-documented offensive decline of the team, and I think he's done an amazing job while actually *improving* on his numbers from last year *to this point*.

That disagreement aside, I agree with your Ovechkin point. I would also nominate the whole of the Carlson/Alzner line and take away Semin since he's clearly not in a position to be the best player *right now*.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Has Varly even played in 25 games this year? I dont think he has played enough to know one way or the other to be honest. is he our MVP. Maybe those higher shot totals are lower quality shots, like ours used to be. He is being helped by a PK scheme now too, I think

He let in a semi softie tonight, no thefts tonight. Rollo blew a fuse tonight lol. I hope Varly learned from that. Lets see if we can find a game he steals for us sometime soon. We need that, all teams do, when the loffs start. Playoffs are all about stonewalling goalies.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Has he even played in 20 games this year? I dont think he has played enough to know one way or the other to be honest. Maybe those higher shot totals are lower quality shots, like ours used to be. Remember those? He is being helped by a PK scheme now too, I think at least.
Tonight would have been his 21st. And no, the shots against him are pretty legit, especially on the opposition PP. The PK scheme is pretty amazing this year, but I still see him regularly facing 3 shots on a PK and making two or three outstanding PK saves a game in general.

The PK numbers are helped as much, if not more so, by Varly as Varly is helped by the revamped PK. Dude's a stud this year.

Top 5 in SV% and GAA doesn't happen by accident.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats always been the case. knuble is still doing his job. ovechkin is not. knuble is paid 2.8m to get beat up in the crease, risk having his face broken by a shot, and score the loose change. its hard to do when there isnt much change being created.

ovechkin is supposed to score 50 and knuble 20 something.
this is absurd. ovie is leading team in points and has been all season. if anything it's a measure of how good he is that everyone says he sucks this year and he's still team leader in points and 8th in the league. he has 35 assists in 53 games, which is superb for someone not known as a passer. and he is +17. whether he gets paid $9 million per year, or $2 million per year, is immaterial. he is best player on the team.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:30 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
Top 5 in SV% and GAA doesn't happen by accident.
Absolutely agree. But I remember some average goalies in this town that posted great numbers. Playing behind Langway Engbloom Stevens and the boys. So I go by what I see and indeed see him as probably our best player, which I stated in an earlier post.

Maybe what I have seen as negatives, injuries, rust, a few softies, consistency is maybe the better word. Really just splitting hairs, and he is just a kid.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Absolutely agree. But I remember some average goalies in this town that posted great numbers. Playing behind Langway Engbloom Stevens and the boys. So I go by what I see and indeed see him as probably our best player, which I stated in an earlier post.

Maybe what I have seen as negatives, injuries, rust, a few softies, consistency is maybe the better word. Really just splitting hairs, and he is just a kid.
actually, Jensen and Riggin and Mason never had very good numbers beyond gaa. Jensen and Riggin won the Jennings one season for fewest goals allowed, but neither was even in the vezina conversation.

Old
02-05-2011, 01:09 AM
rockinghorse

Another way you could look at it based on a dollar value. For example what a player provides based on what he is getting paid. Carlson, Alzner and Hendricks provide the best value for $ spent. Varley/Neuvirth is close too but have played 50% of games compared to Carlson, Alzner and Hendricks.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:01 AM
piercehannigan

Not the best player, but I like watching Jason Chimera. He's fast and seems like he's got a good attitude.

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Midnight Judges

IMO it's Ovechkin. He leads the team in points and goals and he also punishes other players with his physical style of play (this is underrated IMO). Guys on opposing teams are always weary of where #8 is.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
OVrocks

Ovechkin obviously, #8 at 70-80% is better than Backstrom at 100%.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote