HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Morgan Ellis, a poor man's Phaneuf?

Old
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Can you explain why ? because it's a big statement. I don't know him alot so is it becaue of a booming shot ? positioning ? maturity ? skating ? physical package ? his game will translate well in the NHL ?
He's not going to translate anything offensively. But almost everything you mentioned, he's got it and/or will improve it as he progresses. The way he handles himself in all situations, his maturity, his awareness, skating, a tough guy to play against mixed with great fluid skating and good first pass guy.

Again, I obviously have been wrong before, and I'm not stating he'll be a star, far from it. But I look at him and see him as a can't miss NHL'er.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
I have seen him play Moncton. He is on a horrible team in the Eagles, but is solid. He plays PK, 5 on 5, PP etc... is their captain at 18 and is a quality defender. He doesn't have a great shot or anything but is solid on the blue line. The fact that he is the captain at 18 stuck out, even on a bad Eagles team, that means something.
Yeah I'm looking forward to have him in the team, it will be great for once to have a dman ex captain in a canadian junior league in the team, it's been very long since we've seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's not going to translate anything offensively. But almost everything you mentioned, he's got it and/or will improve it as he progresses. The way he handles himself in all situations, his maturity, his awareness, skating, a tough guy to play against mixed with great fluid skating and good first pass guy.

Again, I obviously have been wrong before, and I'm not stating he'll be a star, far from it. But I look at him and see him as a can't miss NHL'er.
Thanks, so we can expect more of a shutdown/defensive guy than an all-around guy with good pass and shot.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
ChoseLa

Isn't Phaneuf himself a Hobo's Shea Weber? I mean if you are a poor's man's version of a Hobo's version of a great player, where does that put you? Also a poorman's Dion Phaneuf wouldn't be playing in this league.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Could he be a legitimate candidate for the WJC next year?

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Isn't Phaneuf himself a Hobo's Shea Weber? I mean if you are a poor's man's version of a Hobo's version of a great player, where does that put you? Also a poorman's Dion Phaneuf wouldn't be playing in this league.
Being a fourth round pick, he'd be lucky to get a spot in the NHL one day...Do you know how many fourth rounder reach the NHL ? So I'll be happy with a poorman's Phaneuf.

The only concern I have about him is that for a future defensive dman, he has the worst +/- of HIS team. Even if he plays against other teams best players, there are at least 4 other players on his team who have that role and who still manage to get a better +/-. This is only a statistic but it might tells us he hasn't reach Gorges in terms of defensive play. He does have the tools though... Did you see him skate at the end ? Wow.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Rysmo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
If this is the case then his Cape Breton team must be absolute crap considering he has average numbers and is a -26
This is the case. They're my home town team and they are just abysmal this year. Traded away all their good players to rebuild, and we lost our best player in Luke Adam and our goalie, Olivier Roy (trade), so yeah. Ellis is an elite dman in the Q though.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't say elite, but he has the potential to be with better mates around him. He's not a team by himself, but he is a great player.

Rysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He plays big minutes on a crappy team...+- doesn't reflect his defensive skill.

He reminds me a lot of Gorges but a big bigger and a bit more mobile...but same smarts and intangibles. He may never be a top 4 guy but at worse he will be a regular NHLer...IMHO one of the safer picks in the draft.

Best case is Ryan Suter/Dennis Seidenberg style #3 guy. Worst case is a character depth guy like Sopel.
Ehh...
Is it me, or one is a very good first pairing guy and the other, a fringe 2nd pairing guy?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
If Ellis can break into the Habs lineup in four years it will be a huge success for the Habs He sounds like a capable defenceman,defensively speaking.Can't ever have enough good defencemen.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Could he be a legitimate candidate for the WJC next year?
Not very likely. He was even invited this year, probably won't make it next year.

Phaneuf was a 1st round pick in a very deep draft. Ellis was a 4th ?

He could be an ok player. However, you people are doing exactly what you did with Avitsin when he compared his style to Ovechkin.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 01:10 AM
caperhabs

I live in cb and have seen many of the eagles games and Ellis. Ellis is an interesting case. Contrary to what others here have said, he is horrible offensively. No lateral movement on the point, poor shot selection, no offensive vision. His first pass out is average at best. Yes he is on a horrible team this year but thats not enough to explain away his lack of offensive skill. Defensively, ellis is okay but nothing special. He is tough, but not that tough, and not that fast to pick up the man. Not horrible, but not great. He is definately not georges! At best I see Ellis as an career ahl player.

Not for the Habs IMHO.

caperhabs is offline   Reply With Quote