HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

3 trades involving Sens, Pitts, Oilers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
  #1
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
3 trades involving Sens, Pitts, Oilers

Wingers are worth less than centres. I would think Pitts are looking at right wingers not centres since Staal can adequately run the 2nd line and they're pretty weak on the right side.

What do you guys think of this trade:

Penner for Pitts' 1st round (27-30) + D prospect to Edm
Kovalev for Pitt's 7th pick

After the season

Sens' 3nd (61-63)+ Wiercioch for Penner
-----------------------------------------------------------

Pitts replace a D prospect by another one and add size and depth for the playoffs. They also get 2 RW rental for about 35 picks difference and a 7th round pick.

Next year, they won't have to deal with the additional cap space to pay Penner and Kovalev.

Edm are adding a defensive prospect and gets a 1st round pick, helping them in their rebuild.

Sens are replacing Kovalev by Penner for a 3rd and Wiercioch and saves3/4 M in the process. They can throw it at an UFA goaltender.

It all depends of 2 things: if Pitts are willing to pay Edmonton price and if Wiercioch is worth Pitts' D prospect.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
  #2
Anderson55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
So pitt gets Penner and Kovy for a 1st and D prospect? done

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
  #3
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Edmonton doesn't need another defensive prospect they need an actual NHL defenceman.

Someone in the 27 year old range that can play a shut down role with an edge. Problem is that the 30th place club isn't getting that guy at the trade deadline because every playoff team in the league wants one.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
  #4
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Edmonton doesn't need another defensive prospect they need an actual NHL defenceman.

Someone in the 27 year old range that can play a shut down role with an edge. Problem is that the 30th place club isn't getting that guy at the trade deadline because every playoff team in the league wants one.
Maybe trade that 1st pick for one after the season.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
  #5
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Maybe trade that 1st pick for one after the season.
Only if that defenseman is Brent Seabrook +

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
  #6
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
So pitt gets Penner and Kovy for a 1st and D prospect? done
Not quite, the Sens are paying for Penner.

Pitts are getting Penner and Kovy for a 7th and a 35 spot downgrade, their 1st for the Sens 3rd.

But they replace a D for a D, maybe of different value.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
  #7
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Only if that defenseman is Brent Seabrook +
That part is Edmonton problem

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
  #8
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Maybe trade that 1st pick for one after the season.
Just my opinion obviously but...

I have no doubt that Penner can be had but I really don't think (hope) that they would move one of the few NHLers on the team for a 'hopefully' or as part of a plan that requires a second unknown transaction. They would need something in hand coming back.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
  #9
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,663
vCash: 250
If it's Despres and a 1st - maybe.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
  #10
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Just my opinion obviously but...

I have no doubt that Penner can be had but I really don't think (hope) that they would move one of the few NHLers on the team for a 'hopefully' or as part of a plan that requires a second unknown transaction. They would need something in hand coming back.
Ok, if the Sens can't trade Phillips at the deadlines which would surprise me, we will sell to Edm his rights for that 1st.

Or we will sign him back as an UFA and trade him to Edm for something good.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
  #11
Vujtek
Registered User
 
Vujtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post

What do you guys think of this trade:

Penner for Pitts' 1st round (27-30) + D prospect to Edm
Kovalev for Pitt's 7th pick

After the season

Sens' 3nd (61-63)+ Wiercioch for Penner
-----------------------------------------------------------

Pitts replace a D prospect by another one and add size and depth for the playoffs. They also get 2 RW rental for about 35 picks difference and a 7th round pick.

Next year, they won't have to deal with the additional cap space to pay Penner and Kovalev.
Assuming Edmonton would be willing to trade Penner to Pittsburgh for that return there's no way we're dealing him off-season to Ottawa for Wiercioch and a 3rd rounder. Kovalev is UFA in the summer so there's no additional cap space for next year there and we can afford to squeeze Penner under the cap assuming the cap raises 2 million. If the cap doesn't raise we could then trade Penner for something else than a 3rd and defensive prospect.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
  #12
Vujtek
Registered User
 
Vujtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
If it's Despres and a 1st - maybe.
Penner isn't worth that much. Not a chance Pittsburgh is giving Oilers that in return for Penner.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
  #13
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Soooo in the end Pens get a D prospect (that they really don't need), 3rd round pick, and an overaged UFA (that most likely will not be resigned), for first round pick (that, seems like, could easily end up being mid pack) and an D prospect?

Why??

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
  #14
Brian28
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Edmonton has lots of d-man prospects...some quite good. What we're lacking in d-men is the big name number 1. We've got Peckham, Petry, Chorney, Marincin, Plante...lots of guys to with potential to fill any spot in the 2-6 range. Unless the prospect coming back had that number 1 potential I don't see Edmotnon making the trade.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
  #15
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Assuming Edmonton would be willing to trade Penner to Pittsburgh for that return there's no way we're dealing him off-season to Ottawa for Wiercioch and a 3rd rounder. Kovalev is UFA in the summer so there's no additional cap space for next year there and we can afford to squeeze Penner under the cap assuming the cap raises 2 million. If the cap doesn't raise we could then trade Penner for something else than a 3rd and defensive prospect.
Of course, that would be part of an gentlemen agreement between Murray and Shero. If Shero wants to keep Penner, Kovalev would cost you a bit more.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
  #16
Vujtek
Registered User
 
Vujtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Of course, that would be part of an gentlemen agreement between Murray and Shero. If Shero wants to keep Penner, Kovalev would cost you a bit more.
You really think Shero would be stupid enough to agree to that sort of gentleman's agreement? He'd just give you 3rd or 4th instead of 7th if he wanted Kovalev and not get bent over while dealing Penner to Ottawa. If you want more than that for Kovalev then you're welcome to keep him.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  #17
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Edmonton doesn't need another defensive prospect they need an actual NHL defenceman.

Someone in the 27 year old range that can play a shut down role with an edge. Problem is that the 30th place club isn't getting that guy at the trade deadline because every playoff team in the league wants one.
No I disagree, Edmonton does need a defensive prospect and has no need for a 27 year old. If you get a 27 year old D man he is on his way out by the time the teams 19,20 year olds are at their prime.

As for the trade proposal, it would all hinge on what 'prospect' you are talking about.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
  #18
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Soooo in the end Pens get a D prospect (that they really don't need), 3rd round pick, and an overaged UFA (that most likely will not be resigned), for first round pick (that, seems like, could easily end up being mid pack) and an D prospect?

Why??
Others Pitts fans seems to disagree about Penner's value.

D prospect = D prospect,

So we're talking about 2 right wingers for 35 picks downgrade and a 7th

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
  #19
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Edmonton has lots of d-man prospects...some quite good. What we're lacking in d-men is the big name number 1. We've got Peckham, Petry, Chorney, Marincin, Plante...lots of guys to with potential to fill any spot in the 2-6 range. Unless the prospect coming back had that number 1 potential I don't see Edmotnon making the trade.
Penner does not have value for a potential number 1 D

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
  #20
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,767
vCash: 500
If we're trading for Penner it's because we want him next year as well not just as a rental.

Dustin Penner + Pens 4th 2011 for Pens 1st in 2011 + Strait/Sneep (both defensive prospects)

Not sure if we can add Penner + Kovalev cap wise without sending salary back.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
  #21
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
You really think Shero would be stupid enough to agree to that sort of gentleman's agreement? He'd just give you 3rd or 4th instead of 7th if he wanted Kovalev and not get bent over while dealing Penner to Ottawa. If you want more than that for Kovalev then you're welcome to keep him.
3rd or 4th is ok with the Sens.

If you don't want Penner to help you this year, Sens are more than willing to get Penner for Phillips and maybe something else, like your 3rd by exemple.


Last edited by guyzeur: 02-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
  #22
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Others Pitts fans seems to disagree about Penner's value.

D prospect = D prospect,

So we're talking about 2 right wingers for 35 picks downgrade and a 7th
To Pens, Penner is a rental in your story. I'm pretty sure Shero knows that there is no replacement for Malkin this post season and hopefully will refuse to mortgage the clubs future for a short term rental. Kovalev is polar oposite of what we call "Bylsma player" so I'm highly doubting any notion that he'll ever be a Pen again. D for D.......just doesn't make any sense.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
  #23
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
If we're trading for Penner it's because we want him next year as well not just as a rental.

Dustin Penner + Pens 4th 2011 for Pens 1st in 2011 + Strait/Sneep (both defensive prospects)

Not sure if we can add Penner + Kovalev cap wise without sending salary back.
I hear you, I agree that Penner would look good playing with Staal or Crosby.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
  #24
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
To Pens, Penner is a rental in your story. I'm pretty sure Shero knows that there is no replacement for Malkin this post season and hopefully will refuse to mortgage the clubs future for a short term rental. Kovalev is polar oposite of what we call "Bylsma player" so I'm highly doubting any notion that he'll ever be a Pen again. D for D.......just doesn't make any sense.
Where do you see in my proposal that Pitts are mortgaging their future? Are you talking about a 27-30th pick in a deep or weak draft (still not sure about that one)?

If it's weak, that 27pick is no big deal, if it's deep, you are getting a 62-63 back.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
  #25
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Where do you see in my proposal that Pitts are mortgaging their future? Are you talking about a 27-30th pick in a deep or weak draft (still not sure about that one)?

If it's weak, that 27pick is no big deal, if it's deep, you are getting a 62-63 back.
Without Malkin and possibly Crosby , what are the Pens chances in the post season. I highly doubt that will end up being 27-30.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.