HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers are watching Sheldon Souray

Old
02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
BluelineHammer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
He was in the Devils system originally and management didn't think highly of him plus Ken Daneyko questioned his commitment to winning. Here's the thread; http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=735704

He was also in a polarized Montreal locker room and I think was on the unpopular side.

Plus the Oilers didn't want him at training camp this year. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...846/story.html
Thanks for the info, had not heard some of this.

I think the Daneyko thing is overblown. Reading the thread only shows that there is a lot of speculation about what he meant. People are taking Daneyko's comments as if he was well informed or something. I would put as much value into what he says as I would put into what Roenick says (and I'm a big JR fan), it's just a commentators opinion.

Had not heard anything about the Devils or Montreal locker room issues, so I can't comment.

I still feel the situation with Souray not being invited to Oilers camp had to do with his public request for a trade. I remember there being quite a bit of tension between him and management, but as far as I can remember it was not with the players, just management.

I'd be comfortable saying that he was a distraction before, but I don't know if I would go as far as call him a cancer in the locker room. I think there is a big difference when, as a player, you have a situation with management as opposed to issues with other players.

BluelineHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
JTJablonski: I work 4 the Charlotte Checkers and u bet Souray can still rip Has the skill but sometimes just skates around at this level
https://twitter.com/#!/EJHradek_ESPN...22218751987712

Quote:
another scouting report. RT @Falk6118: I've seen Souray play in Hershey a few times. he hasn't looked great. I think it's a lack of effort.
https://twitter.com/#!/EJHradek_ESPN...22586399514624

This is guy we need.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:20 AM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I'll pass, I don't think Souray at this time in his career is what the Ranger's need.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
OverTheCap

We already have an overpaid, past his prime defenseman that demonstrates a lack of effort toiling in the minors. I don't think the Rangers want or need another one of those.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Good call on the arbitration. I thought Cally already filed but they got a deal done before. Does he still have rights or did he use it up?

Malakhov helped the Devils a lot in 2000. He was told to shut up and do nothing but play hockey and was a great stay at home veteran presence for them.

I'm not saying Souray is the answer but could he help? Maybe.
Only arbitration limits involve club elected. No limits on how many times a player can file.

Quote:
(c) A Player will be subject to only one Club-elected salary arbitration in his
career. Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Player as to whom a Club has elected
salary arbitration, regardless of whether a hearing took place in connect ion with that
election, is no longer eligible for Club-elected salary arbitration. If a Club subsequently
elects to take such a Player to salary arbitration, that election will be null and void.

(d) Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Club may exercise its right to
elect salary arbitration not more than twice per League Year. If a Club elects salary
arbitration more than twice per League Year, any subsequent election after its second
election will be null and void.
Callahan can file again after filing two years ago. He signed the 2 year/$4.6M deal after filing. Dan Girardi did the same thing. Filing for arbitration creates a pressure point/urgency.

Old
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

I will be beyond pissed if we acquire Souray off re-entry. He's 34, very injury prone and has always had issues with giving a full effort.

Sure having his rocket from the point would help out this PP immensely, but not at the cost of almost 3M in cap space. Save that money for Richards just in case he hits UFA. Most of us know how well he can play the point.

Regardless to whether or not we sign Richards, I still say trading for Babchuk at the deadline would be a great move. I may be sounding like a broken record here (as I've been saying this for the last couple of months), but I think he could really help our PP and best of all he wouldn't cost us any valuable assets. Also, he's on his last year of a deal (if memory serves me correctly). So if it doesn't work out, we can trade him in the summer or simply let him walk.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
xxxZENxxx

Folks... these are not rumors, they are true stories. Sather was in Hershey, along with several Rangers scouts, to watch Souray play. They are DEFINITELY looking at him.

And... this is NOT a trade situation. This IS a re-entry waiver situation.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Folks... these are not rumors, they are true stories. Sather was in Hershey, along with several Rangers scouts, to watch Souray play. They are DEFINITELY looking at him.

And... this is NOT a trade situation. This IS a re-entry waiver situation.
please elaborate on how you are SO sure

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The internet said so. It must be true.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
It's an NHL rule...

He can't play in the NHL until he clears re entry waivers

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why would Edmonton do that? Redden is signed for two more years than Souray. Redden makes $16.5M over the next 3 years while Souray makes $4.5M next season. What are they getting for the extra $12M.
Well that is why I wondered outloud how they are with the cap floor. Just wondering. They obviously see Souray as a problem on the team that goes beyond play. With Redden they get 1) an established veterean presence that is at least a neutral lockerroom personality 2) a way to reach the cap floor in a city that has lots of trouble attracting free agents.

I really don't know why this makes better sense than just keeping him in the minors but you just never know in Alberta when it comes to trades. Why did Calgary give us Prust and take away Kotalik's contract just to put Jokinen on our team for 40 days?

Sather hasn't lost a trade in a while, if we take on something as crappy as Souray I would imagine we unload something even crappier.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Have you seen Souray play? Why did so many teams pass on him? 2 years remaining on the contract. Not 4 years like Redden. $5.4M cap hit. $9M in salary. In a league where teams never have enough D,why is he playing in the AHL?
Because of the injuries and the fact that he was made available far too late for any team to have any cap space left to take him on. Once he was waived and sent down(before their training camp) no team would trade for him obviously due to the process of bringing him back up.

For 1 years @ 5.4 million in cap space there will be a team who trades for him. I guarantee it.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoliathNYR View Post
If we really want a heavy/big shot on the PP so badly, why not go for a cheaper, younger version in Pavel Valentenko? That guy has a rocket of a shot
I like Valentenko, but are you suggesting that a player with just 1 goal & 6 assists with tons of ice time in the AHL is the answer to the Rangers powerplay woes?

Tank is not a younger version of Souray. Quite the opposite.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 05:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
General manager Glen Sather has dispatched members of the scouting staff to watch Sheldon Souray bomb away while he toils at the point for AHL Hershey. But there is no indication the Rangers are in a rush to get the exiled defenseman from Edmonton on re-entry waivers at a cap hit of $2.7 million for this year and next season.

The Rangers have six restricted free agents to deal with following this season, including Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle, Michael Sauer and Matt Gilroy. They are thus being cautious about adding to their summer cap that will include Wade Redden's $6.5 million hit, because additional charges could have impact on their ability to sign pricey unrestricted free agent Brad Richards.

At this stage, still three weeks from the Feb. 28 deadline, the Rangers are more interested in finding a rental (if they can) than they are in adding Souray.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1DB62TTMV

Smart man that Larry Brooks.

Souray had an assist last night but had it taken away after the game. He hasn't recorded a point in the two games the Rangers have scouted so far this weekend. He is really ripping up the AHL with 11 points in 21 games.

Old
02-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

if we get him without dumping drury or redden it spells the end of our quest for richards

Old
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

no interest in souray whatsoever.

frankly im not interested in changing this team up all that much.

only pieces im willing to part with are:
Gilroy
Christensen
Prospal
Drury
Boogaard
Fedotenko

but those arent getting you anything of value.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

A guy that can shoot 300 MPH that can't hit the net? I thought we traded Rozsival...

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
A guy that can shoot 300 MPH that can't hit the net? I thought we traded Rozsival...
Souray and Roszival are worlds apart in terms of style.

It's almost like comparing a forward to a d-man. What a poor post.

Old
02-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That was Paul Mara, good riddance

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
That was Paul Mara, good riddance
Same thing. They all suck and they're all old.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Dorado*

How many games have we won since Rosci left, just saying , he was rattled and had a bloated contract but for years made a good first pass and put some points up . Only thing positive about him leaving was his cap hit . Rosci was a good soldier who played a log of games and a lot I minutes . It's a shame he signed that bloated contract because as shaky as he was the last year and q half he was a good Ranger and helped win more games for this club than lose over his tenure . But then again we also treated Malik the same way and we have not had q player ever with the plus minus he had when we had Jagr and hit him with good first passes out the zone for years . A real shame sometimes the way the garden treats some players .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:19 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
kuklaskorner Kukla's Korner .com
RT @NHLbyMatty: Rangers will be getting Souray on re-entry waivers if nobody else takes him. Not giving up anybody.

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
RT @NHLbyMatty: Rangers will be getting Souray on re-entry waivers if nobody else takes him. Not giving up anybody.
Reliable source?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:31 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
Has he been put on re-entry waivers because I haven't heard anything?

02-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Has he been put on re-entry waivers because I haven't heard anything?
Maybe he means hypothetically speaking

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is online now   Reply With Quote