HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Can you feel it? Wang is going to do something drastically stupid this off-season

Old
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Can you feel it? Wang is going to do something drastically stupid this off-season

Something is brewing out there. Can you feel it? I can. It seems the planets are aligning, and not necessarily in a good way. I'm looking at the following things:

• Another bottom 5 finish
  • The Lighthouse project all but dead
  • Multiple off-seasons of losing out on FA's despite offering more money
  • Nabokov refusing to play and embarrassing the Isles
  • Ticket sales getting worse
  • Heat from fans who are fed up with Wang
  • General disrespect from NHL circles/the media
  • The "Rebuild" not progressing the way Wang expected it would

When I consider all this and more, I get the sense that Wang is going to something drastic this off-season the way he did the off-season when he went crazy with Yashin and Peca. I don't know what his options are off-ice, but on-ice I feel like a BIG move is coming and one that I'm NOT going to like.

I could easily see Wang orchestrating a move like trading DeHann, Petrov, and our 1st round pick this year for Vinny Lecavalier (and his insane 10 million/year contract). Of course I don't believe Snow would ever make a move like that, the way I don't believe that Snow would ever sign anyone to a 15-year contract. However I feel like Wang feels he needs to show he's "the man" (in his world) to the fans, media, and overall NHL, and he will once again set us back years because of it.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but we have an absolute madman behind the wheel of this franchise, and I truly believe that something MASSIVE is going to be done this off-season...I'm truly terrified about what it will be.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Something is brewing out there. Can you feel it? I can. It seems the planets are aligning, and not necessarily in a good way. I'm looking at the following things:

When I consider all this and more, I get the sense that Wang is going to something drastic this off-season the way he did the off-season when he went crazy with Yashin and Peca. I don't know what his options are off-ice, but on-ice I feel like a BIG move is coming and one that I'm NOT going to like.

I could easily see Wang orchestrating a move like trading DeHann, Petrov, and our 1st round pick this year for Vinny Lecavalier (and his insane 10 million/year contract). Of course I don't believe Snow would ever make a move like that, the way I don't believe that Snow would ever sign anyone to a 15-year contract. However I feel like Wang feels he needs to show he's "the man" (in his world) to the fans, media, and overall NHL, and he will once again set us back years because of it.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but we have an absolute madman behind the wheel of this franchise, and I truly believe that something MASSIVE is going to be done this off-season...I'm truly terrified about what it will be.
I agree with everything except Wang orchestrating any moves that would actually bring in high priced players. I really feel he is content with being the Kansas City Royals (no pun intended with the Kansas City) of the NHL.

Last edited by MattMartin: 02-04-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I could see it happening.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

then he's going to make the whole team go into a bus and blow it up so he doesn't have to pay for it and then he can sell the team to a canadian billionaire

foolish wang, i'm onto you

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
I agree with everything except Wang orchestrating any moves that would actually bring in high priced players. I really feel he is content with being the Kansas City Royals (no pun intended with the Kansas City) of the NHL.

I agree on this, but depending on what contracts are given out to Bailey, Okposo, and others, we may need to take on a big salary to reach the Cap Floor anyway.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Darth Bangkok

I don`t think he`s going to wait until the offseason to make more foolishly stupid things.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Abe Vukota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
I don`t think he`s going to wait until the offseason to make more foolishly stupid things.
Garth, no matter how we feel about Wang, this is no way to talk about his portly son. He's just a boy, for God's sake! And how do you know when Chairman Charles and Lady Wang decide to make babies?

Abe Vukota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vukota View Post
Garth, no matter how we feel about Wang, this is no way to talk about his portly son. He's just a boy, for God's sake!
Took me a minute to get that

Old
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Darth Bangkok

good, you added the babies line! I should have use 'do' instead of 'make' or 'decisions' instead of 'things'

Old
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I left the gate open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1fXL3s7bk

I left the gate open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
BillD

Isles fans need to pull an Egyptian style uprising....rioting, throwing stones and concrete at NVMC and Wang's house. It will come to that.....mark my words.
Bettman will council civility...........but call for Wang to step down and turn the Isles over to the crowd.

Wang must sell.......NOW

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
lmao, me and my neighbor were laughing about this the other day, couldnt figure out if it was good or bad.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Something stupid involves (chances are) Wang spending money...so...Don't bet on it.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Maybe Wang will force Snow to trade Tavares. That would qualify as a stupid off-season move. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

I don't see Wang spending any big money until he either gets a new lease or the Lightnouse is approved.

I've been following the Lighthose thread on the isles mania board.There are some very credible posters passing on info/rumors about Kate Murray and the Nassau County republicans.I'll try a short recap to try and explain why Wang's Lighthouse may not be dead in the water just yet:

1.Nassau County is facing a huge budget crisis.Albany has threatened to take control of the county's budget unless the pols can balance the budget.

2.Republican leaders aren't happy with Kate Murray's anti-developer stance.Just because the TOH is in strong financial shape,doesn't mean the rest of the county is.
Remember,the republicans won the County Executive seat last spring.

3.Twice now,Murray's been offered a different post if she'll step down as TOH supervisor.Reportedly she'll become a judge.

4.Wang could be waiting to see if Murray's forced out and if her replacement is more reasonable.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
For your team's sake, I certainly home not.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Darth Bangkok

The lighthouse project is a monstrosity that doesn't deserve to see the light of day. And there's not even a new arena involved! We're all supposed to suck wong's jock because if he gets his big new toy to play with he'll throw us a bone a renovate our dump? lipstick on a pig?

Screw that, we need to find a new way to save the isles. Egyptian style protests are fine. I'll spend my holidays this year in the Nassau Coliseum parking lot.

Old
02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
OpAck

The next stupid move will be regarding the head coaching vacancy. That's just rarin to be screwed up by the organization. And I'm not sure if the organization has already shot itself in the foot...I mean, I really question whether an experienced, veteran head coach would want the job. That might mean the Isles will be forced to go the unconventional route again. Find someone in the AHL...or just say, "Oh well, Cap has proven himself, so we're just going to install him as head coach."

It could even be a very bold, but not necessarily good, decision. And by that I mean, deciding to throw Dougie Weight right in the head coaching spot. Or, maybe even Trottier???

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
The next stupid move will be regarding the head coaching vacancy. That's just rarin to be screwed up by the organization. And I'm not sure if the organization has already shot itself in the foot...I mean, I really question whether an experienced, veteran head coach would want the job. That might mean the Isles will be forced to go the unconventional route again. Find someone in the AHL...or just say, "Oh well, Cap has proven himself, so we're just going to install him as head coach."

It could even be a very bold, but not necessarily good, decision. And by that I mean, deciding to throw Dougie Weight right in the head coaching spot. Or, maybe even Trottier???
I expect Weight will either become an assistant coach or maybe Snow's assistant gm.

Old
02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
4Isles4*

the stupid moves you speak of are not big trades but more bad RE-signings....Because nobody significant will sign with us(this yearsFA class isnt all that good anyway) and we have to reach the cap floor....Wang will OVERPAY our RFA.....I love okposo but wang will definatley give him 5mil per and he hasnt even scored 20 goals yet or played a full season(iknow he has had bad kuck due to injuries but still) Bailey will get 3.5-4.5 per and hes not looking to good latley( I love Bailey as well and I have not givin up on him) He shown the potential to take over and NHL game and be the most dominate player on the ice and play like a beast but it was for the first 6 games and since then IDK......Grabner I love and think hes just now coming into his own....I think wang will give him 2.5-3 per.....And Martinek wll be resigned for 3-4 per.....and wang reaches the cap floor and can continue to bottom feed with the same line-up......a healthy Streit and Okposo changes things but not enough........I love moulson But Tavares needs to player with better players...If you can get JT a legit RW than Moulson is ok but if you can get a legit LW than haveing Moulson(30 scorer) on your 2nd line isnt bad and it would probabley help Bailey.......

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:16 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Isles fans need to pull an Egyptian style uprising....rioting, throwing stones and concrete at NVMC and Wang's house. It will come to that.....mark my words.
Bettman will council civility...........but call for Wang to step down and turn the Isles over to the crowd.

Wang must sell.......NOW
IM DOWN!!!! we as Isles fans can not let this team leave us or be disrespected as its been for too long.......Im sick of everyone Laughing at us and not getting any respect

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I would be absolutely shocked if Okposo gets $5 mil a year. That would be ludicrous.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
the stupid moves you speak of are not big trades but more bad RE-signings....Because nobody significant will sign with us(this yearsFA class isnt all that good anyway) and we have to reach the cap floor....Wang will OVERPAY our RFA.....I love okposo but wang will definatley give him 5mil per and he hasnt even scored 20 goals yet or played a full season(iknow he has had bad kuck due to injuries but still) Bailey will get 3.5-4.5 per and hes not looking to good latley( I love Bailey as well and I have not givin up on him) He shown the potential to take over and NHL game and be the most dominate player on the ice and play like a beast but it was for the first 6 games and since then IDK......Grabner I love and think hes just now coming into his own....I think wang will give him 2.5-3 per.....And Martinek wll be resigned for 3-4 per........
Wow.No offense,but I think you are way off base.No way do the isles wildly overpay for rfas coming off injury filled or disappointing seasons.I don't even think any of these rfas are arbitration eliglible.

As for Martinek,I think we'd see one of the ahl kids given a roster spot before the isles give him a multi yr deal paying $3m-$4m per.

Old
02-04-2011, 09:30 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
IM DOWN!!!! we as Isles fans can not let this team leave us or be disrespected as its been for too long.......Im sick of everyone Laughing at us and not getting any respect
Honestly, what I found more funny than anything Wang did, was how Isles fans claimed that Nabby was a baby and they were going to trade his rights to your future cup.

Wang has been a reasonable owner, the problem has been Isles fans thinking he would invest money before he had a reason to. He made the right move selling assets.

Isles fans thinking otherwise is what made people think of you's as a joke. I respect what Wang did, he minimized losses trying to put through the Light House project, the idiots were the people thinking the on ice product during the watiing period would be awaeomse are the ones who look silly.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Honestly, what I found more funny than anything Wang did, was how Isles fans claimed that Nabby was a baby and they were going to trade his rights to your future cup.

Wang has been a reasonable owner, the problem has been Isles fans thinking he would invest money before he had a reason to. He made the right move selling assets.

Isles fans thinking otherwise is what made people think of you's as a joke. I respect what Wang did, he minimized losses trying to put through the Light House project, the idiots were the people thinking the on ice product during the watiing period would be awaeomse are the ones who look silly.
Well you're a business man fan then. Not a hockey fan. Maybe there is a Business Man's Future boards you can post on.