HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can you feel it? Wang is going to do something drastically stupid this off-season

Old
02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
ichabod13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Wang made money riding the back of the 90's tech boom. When the bubble was coming to a close his company committed one of biggest accounting frauds in US history. His right hand man is in prison while Wang, who jumped ship just early enough, sits free. He's a clown.
i would call that being pretty ****ing smart. illegal and immoral.......but smart.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Abe Vukota*

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Abe-

You're on the scene. Well done. I'm still trying to figure out why any poster would try to defend Wang to vehemently.

Maybe Wang cut all costs on the team this year so he could pay people to post here in his defense. After all...Isn't public perception more important than winning?

I think people defend him out of misguided loyalty to the team, forgetting that fan uproar can occasionally push a team in the right direction.

God, how I wish we were talking about the playoff push...

Abe Vukota* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:08 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Who's paying for this drastically cheaper renovation?The cash strapped County,who's finances are in such bad shape,that Albany's threatening to take control if they can't balance their budget?

We are reading comments from Murray's own party leaders,saying her plan is " economically unviable for both the developer and owner of the site.”

Just because the ToH is in strong financial shape,doesn't mean Nassau County doesn't need the jobs and tax revenue from Wang's Lighthouse project.
Who's paying for it if NYS handles Nassau's finances and NYS has money earmarked for it?

Do I have to answer?

Now Murray's plan has people saying it's economically unviable? So? Her job is to say what CAN go up, What CAN be approved based on the local area and what can be supported with existing infrastructure....so her plan can't work? Well, then, wouldn't that, using logic, lead one to believe that unless THE INFRASTRUCTURE and schools and sewer systems and grid and so on are improved, the plan Wang has can't work? Murray's job is only to say it can go up or not and she gave the amount that could with some wiggle room.

Now do we ignore the area and the reasonably suggested limits to the area being able to accomodate Wangland to get jobs and money and screw everyone ignoring the consequences or do we tread carefully?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
Can we change the category of ISLANDERS to: DP/SNOW/WANG SUCKS!!!

It would be most appropriate, as anyone that's fine with the rebuild or with Wang saving the team (Bob Gotnomonski had no money so is NO SAVIOUR!!!) is either blind / naive / drinking kool-aid / or being paid off by Wang (someone has to collect on the Wang bucks floating around out there!!!).

When I clicked on that "make money working from home" ad. I never knew I would get paid until 2015 for worshipping Charles our Saviour. Who needs Jesus?!?!?!?!?!
Paid poster, his partners did....but don't let facts hinder your diatribe. He just lacked SMG's Al D'Amato's backing.

I hope you are happy with your buddy's work. You seem satisfied with last place and The Jon Sim Redux, so good for you.

Next up: litigation to recoup CA losses under Wang's stewardship. Coming this summer 2011.

Old
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vukota View Post
I think people defend him out of misguided loyalty to the team, forgetting that fan uproar can occasionally push a team in the right direction.

The absolute best statement made on these boards in a very long time.

Fans can move mountains if there's smart and resilient enough.

Amen brother. Amen.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:16 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Sorry man, but when a fan writes "How can Wang do something smart if he's not capable of it?" (as you did - about a multimillionair business mongol), it doesn't appear to be anything but sophomoric and, at the best, facetious.
PROBABLY a good time to fix that typo.....

Old
02-07-2011, 02:27 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The absolute best statement made on these boards in a very long time.

Fans can move mountains if there's smart and resilient enough.

Amen brother. Amen.
This goes back to my Detroit comment.

Fans stopped paying to see Yzerman in Detroit.

The team was run poorly after Ilitch just bought it and the owner HATED seeing no one show up to support his players. He hired the best minds, one right from under us, and made EVERY effort possible to make sure his guys and the fans he caters to would not see a less than enjoyable experience out there. Now we watch what's coming up on two decades of that work, from the BEST scouts (we have Eric Cairns giving input and TSN's rankings to work with) to the best coaches (I'd LOVE Dave Lewis and they fired him to get better.....and would fire Babcock if it meant better coaching was possible) to the best scouts (who get Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the 6&7 rounds) and so on. Their building is a dump made a shrine by Ilitch, with statues and oak lines lockerrooms and so on to ensure the players and fans get the top notch experience.

Wang has cupcakes.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:08 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Who's paying for it if NYS handles Nassau's finances and NYS has money earmarked for it?

Do I have to answer?

Now Murray's plan has people saying it's economically unviable? So? Her job is to say what CAN go up, What CAN be approved based on the local area and what can be supported with existing infrastructure....so her plan can't work? Well, then, wouldn't that, using logic, lead one to believe that unless THE INFRASTRUCTURE and schools and sewer systems and grid and so on are improved, the plan Wang has can't work? Murray's job is only to say it can go up or not and she gave the amount that could with some wiggle room.

Now do we ignore the area and the reasonably suggested limits to the area being able to accomodate Wangland to get jobs and money and screw everyone ignoring the consequences or do we tread carefully?
Wang has no reason to sink millions of his own money into an arena that he won't own.For pols who's spent the last 10 yrs making promises about a new or renovated arena,only to drag their feet when he won the development bid.

Mangano,the leader of the Republican party,has called Murray's plan economically unviable for both Wang and the County.Imagine that! Worrying about the entire County's financial shape and not just the ToH

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
periferal

Quote:
This goes back to my Detroit comment.

Fans stopped paying to see Yzerman in Detroit.

The team was run poorly after Ilitch just bought it and the owner HATED seeing no one show up to support his players. He hired the best minds, one right from under us, and made EVERY effort possible to make sure his guys and the fans he caters to would not see a less than enjoyable experience out there. Now we watch what's coming up on two decades of that work, from the BEST scouts (we have Eric Cairns giving input and TSN's rankings to work with) to the best coaches (I'd LOVE Dave Lewis and they fired him to get better.....and would fire Babcock if it meant better coaching was possible) to the best scouts (who get Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the 6&7 rounds) and so on. Their building is a dump made a shrine by Ilitch, with statues and oak lines lockerrooms and so on to ensure the players and fans get the top notch experience.

Wang has cupcakes.

Ol Time..

We are 100% on the same page now. The debate in this thread is...

Is Wang smart/clever/astute/shrewd/aware/capable enough to realize all the mistakes he's made and correct them and bring a WINNER to Long Island?

I don't think he is - That's my concern. He doesn't show the ability to listen to others, to communicate with fans well, the change his ways, and certainly not make the *right* decisions.

My god I hope I'm wrong because if not, that means my passion for hockey is riding on the Titanic.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Abe Vukota*

Quote:
Ol Time..

We are 100% on the same page now. The debate in this thread is...

Is Wang smart/clever/astute/shrewd/aware/capable enough to realize all the mistakes he's made and correct them and bring a WINNER to Long Island?

I don't think he is - That's my concern. He doesn't show the ability to listen to others, to communicate with fans well, the change his ways, and certainly not make the *right* decisions.

My god I hope I'm wrong because if not, that means my passion for hockey is riding on the Titanic.
I agree with both of you. If Wang at any point in an interview said, "Well, some of the long term contracts were not great decisions, but we acted on what we knew at the time and maybe that wasn't the way to go," I would feel 100% better about his chances of building a winner. As it stands, he seems petulant and almost Dolan-esque in his refusal to put together a good team and staff in the time-tested way- by hiring professionals.

There's no need to list his more recent screw ups (already did!) and I will acknowledge that everything from the college radio broadcasts to the Asst GM getting fired would be forgiven if this were a winning franchise. Unfortunately, it's not, so they're not.

And I also agree with the posters noting that Wang can't be an idiot, though it's not because he's rich (if you've met any rich people, you know that they don't all ooze intelligence and poise; JD and the Straight Shot would be Exhibit A). It's because he and another guy ran a crooked company and only one of them is in jail.

Now THAT'S smart.

Abe Vukota* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Do I have to answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang has no reason to sink millions of his own money into an arena that he won't own.For pols who's spent the last 10 yrs making promises about a new or renovated arena,only to drag their feet when he won the development bid.

Mangano,the leader of the Republican party,has called Murray's plan economically unviable for both Wang and the County.Imagine that! Worrying about the entire County's financial shape and not just the ToH
So the answer it yes, I HAVE TO answer?

NYS bond issues construction using earmarked money for that purpose.

So that would preclude Wang until he buys the state of New York, correct?

Now......to get on your rant, the plan is unviable for Wang because he wouldn't recoup the money spent in his lifetime. It's unviable for the County why?

$$$$.

They wanted more all along, thus the fitting a pig in tights mandate to all bids. Wang fit two pigs in. Their eyes popped out and he won.

So what was Murray to do? Political conspiracy tin foilists say block it for the GOP. Well, she blocked it and the GOP is angry. Hmm.....

Maybe she was doing her job? Protecting the students from overcrowding and thus diminished education? Residents protected from gridlock? Businesses able to survive in already tough times?

So Murray did her job and Wang failed. The Nassau pols who tried to fit too much crap in too small an area failed. The team unfortunately is caught up in this and it all would have been prevented if ONE THING happened:

The County asked what level of development the land could actually support now and in the future. One hand talks to the other and we'd have some buildings up by now.

But one can still blame the GOP for wanting it all up and at the same time wanting to never happen. Those GOP....tricky little bastids.

Old
02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
So the answer it yes, I HAVE TO answer?

NYS bond issues construction using earmarked money for that purpose.

So that would preclude Wang until he buys the state of New York, correct?

Now......to get on your rant, the plan is unviable for Wang because he wouldn't recoup the money spent in his lifetime. It's unviable for the County why?

$$$$.

They wanted more all along, thus the fitting a pig in tights mandate to all bids. Wang fit two pigs in. Their eyes popped out and he won.

So what was Murray to do? Political conspiracy tin foilists say block it for the GOP. Well, she blocked it and the GOP is angry. Hmm.....

Maybe she was doing her job? Protecting the students from overcrowding and thus diminished education? Residents protected from gridlock? Businesses able to survive in already tough times?

So Murray did her job and Wang failed. The Nassau pols who tried to fit too much crap in too small an area failed. The team unfortunately is caught up in this and it all would have been prevented if ONE THING happened:

The County asked what level of development the land could actually support now and in the future. One hand talks to the other and we'd have some buildings up by now.

But one can still blame the GOP for wanting it all up and at the same time wanting to never happen. Those GOP....tricky little bastids.
LOL Only overcrowding in Mayberry RFD. Because NYS has nothing better to do than spend money on an arena in the suburbs.....

Dumb ass County can't even pre-determine the size for an RFP which is unheard of but corrupt GOP in TOH would've shot it down anyway to keep out the Dems. And you wonder why NYI sucks? It's a little Wang but more the corrupt LI/TOH government keeping any chance at making revenue to field a competitive team away from NYI.

Hey OTH, if TOH/Nassau can't handle what it takes to run a professional hockey team why not give Queens a shot? Maybe you like LOSING.

Seriously, if TOH wants to stay small suburbs then let them. No harm no foul. No hockey team either. But if NYI are ever going to succeed it won't be in the small suburbs as the last 20 years has proven.

I like dreaming cause dreaming can make me smile...................Kenny Nolan.

Last edited by Bert Marshall days: 02-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
LOL Only overcrowding in Mayberry RFD. Because NYS has nothing better to do than spend money on an arena in the suburbs.....

Dumb ass County can't even pre-determine the size for an RFP which is unheard of but corrupt GOP in TOH would've shot it down anyway to keep out the Dems. And you wonder why NYI sucks? It's a little Wang but more the corrupt LI/TOH government keeping any chance at making revenue to field a competitive team away from NYI.

Hey OTH, if TOH/Nassau can't handle what it takes to run a professional hockey team why not give Queens a shot? Maybe you like LOSING.

Seriously, if TOH wants to stay small suburbs then let them. No harm no foul. No hockey team either. But if NYI are ever going to succeed it won't be in the small suburbs as the last 20 years has proven.

I like dreaming cause dreaming can make me smile...................Kenny Nolan.
OMFG RainMan.....where do the kids go to school? Does Wang compensate the families whose kids would be affected by the overcrowding?

Queeeenz BAYBEE!!! LOLZ!

(He never answers who will spend money to build the necessary school adjustments, or anything else, just QUEENZ, BABYEE posts.)

Old
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
OMFG RainMan.....where do the kids go to school? Does Wang compensate the families whose kids would be affected by the overcrowding?

Queeeenz BAYBEE!!! LOLZ!

(He never answers who will spend money to build the necessary school adjustments, or anything else, just QUEENZ, BABYEE posts.)
Another LH thread?

I thought part of the LH project was to give the local school systems money to help with the overcrowding the LH might cause.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Another LH thread?

I thought part of the LH project was to give the local school systems money to help with the overcrowding the LH might cause.
They're giving a portion but nothing substantial. Nothing substantial meaning it in no way, shape or form would add additional classroom space or pay for the requisite number of teachers for the influx of students.

I'll find the exact figures in a bit.

But yeah, this thread went from Wang's idiocy to Wang's folly.