HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl-edm

Old
02-05-2011, 04:16 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
So, how does that fit with your above assertion that this is close to fair value? As good as Pietrangelo is, it is clearly too much, by a very considerable margin. Even with just the pick, the value would be debatable (depending on where the Oilers end up of course).
I think it's close to fair value based on what it would take to get most teams in the league to part with Pietrangelo. Also, saying that Edmonton shouldn't trade their first rounder has a lot more to do with where they are in development, not value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
That's really a quite pointless argument. Neither Steen or McDonald are natural left wingers, and could well be moved elsewhere. It's not as if a young winger with MPS' potential does not fit the Blues' needs.
Both have been playing left wing for multiple seasons. And, what do you know, Steen is clearly playing his best hockey there. "Natural" is irrelevant. And if you shuffle them around, you still end up with the same number of positions. The highest Paajarvi gets without breaking out is 3rd line, while Pietrangelo is currently in the Blues' top-4 and is their most productive d-man offensively by a significant margin.

That is not to denigrate Paajarvi, but to show that it would take a lot to entice the Blues into taking a downgrade in impact like that.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:22 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
you do realize this was made by a oilers fan right? so obviously the OP would accept that trade although blues fans wouldn't make either as it would set them back
I'm just trying to say both teams value each proposed guy at the same level, so the 1st rounder was kind of out of line to begin the proposal.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Basikk

Decent proposal but Pietrangelo is here to stay.

Basikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:02 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I read this comment and immediately thought back to the Kessel trade thread because it was full of HF'ers talking about how that young NHL player they just got was totally going to be worth way more than those few first round picks they just gave up for him.

Certainly you can understand the difference between that situation and the one that's being presented here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
That nameless, faceless draft pick represents the opportunity to draft pretty much any player available in the 2011 draft. If your organization has great scouts that draft pick has as good a chance of becoming a superstar as that young NHL'er having a great season.

Possibly... the difference is that we have witnessed three more seasons(critical seasons) of Pietrangelo's development than any player in this years draft. As I'm sure you know there are a lot fewer question marks when judging a player at age 21 than at 18. Why would St. Louis want to expose themselves to that risk again when they did it right the first time?

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:35 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Why would Edmonton want to deal a first overall pick? And Pretty sure Pitrangelo is staying in St.Louis for a long time.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote