HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Washington - Here's hoping Ovechkin stays home....

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 07:20 AM
YKOil

vCash: 500
Washington - Here's hoping Ovechkin stays home....

....for a year or two.

Next year Washington can have another sad-sack year, securing another top-3 pick, trade Kolzig at the deadline for a 1st round pick and trade Witt or Halpern or Grier as well and get more good draft picks. With any luck they win the lotto and get Crosby. Keep Crosby down another year, or at least break him in reeeeaaallly slow like, and they get one more year of prime-time draft picks.

THEN bring Ovechkin over. Throw out a killer one-two punch in Ovechkin and Crosby with a great young defense and 3 years later you have a perennial Cup contender. Bring Ovechkin over this year however and... well... they get too fast too soon and will never be a true year-on-year contender.

Atlanta will now have that problem btw. If they had been a poorer team this year they maybe get Barker or Ladd - instead they have topped out on their 'great' players and probably won't ever have enough of them to win it all.

Oh well, just me reflecting on the pain it takes to build that 6-10 year run kind of team. I kind of like Leonsis however and I hope, for his sake, that Ovy doesn't coem to play too soon because if he really is that good then that team will never be a winner.

I have no idea what this has to do with the Oilers - just musing I guess.

YKOil

Old
06-28-2004, 07:24 AM
boxall9

Grier was already traded to Buffalo at this past season's deadline.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxall9
Grier was already traded to Buffalo at this past season's deadline.
Damn - I knew that too. Oh well, now ESPN and myself can keep each other company.

YKOil

Closed Thread