HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#52 | Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders | Feb 5 | W 5-3

Old
02-05-2011, 08:32 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I don't understand this either. There are better forwards on the bench that should be out there. Anyone outside of Gillies is a better forward than Colliton.

Still find if pathetic that Grabner is not getting any PP time. The guy is 3rd on the team in goals with no PP time, and averaging only 13 and a half minutes of ice time per game.

I want to give this post a

However because it's so pathetic, I'm giving Capuano a

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
Leddy for America

vCash: 200
Wow... Some Sens fan called the Islanders "a useless joke of an organization." Exactly my thoughts about the Senators after this game. And at least we've won cups.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM
bossy22

Schrimp looking for the hat trick.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:38 PM
OpAck

That's what...5 or 6 quality chances from Grabner tonight?

The guy is a beast.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
Leddy for America

vCash: 200
Aww man, they pulled Lehner, now we can't score on him

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:42 PM
bossy22

Pou-Lan with a couple of saves and Franzie with the 190 ft empty netter.

Isles win.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
hittes petr sykora
WOLOLO

Did you guys really want to win this one? Serious question, aren't you going for a high draft pick?

hittes petr sykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
OpAck

This win felt good, I'd have to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeheex2
Did you guys really want to win this one? Serious question, aren't you going for a high draft pick?
Yes. And who cares...I don't want my team tanking.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Stercrazy

Ottawa has always had the Isles #.....I'll take this win.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Le Golie

Hamonic led the team in ice time tonight, 22:10. What a player.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
BillD

Nice classy move. Martin and Grabs both gave their sticks to kids in the rampway at the end of the game.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:50 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeheex2 View Post
Oh I don't think these 2 points will make a dent in that.

Team needed a win for a confidence booster.

Speaking of confidence, IMO Bailey's career path will depend heavily on what he does with his confidence. Like night and day.

Pair of '08 draftees were huge down the stretch.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
Wow... Some Sens fan called the Islanders "a useless joke of an organization." Exactly my thoughts about the Senators after this game. And at least we've won cups.
Are you sure that was a Sens fan? 90% of the people on this board say the same thing!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
As Herm Edwards says, "you play to win the game"!

Besides I would like to see the Islanders finish ahead of the Oilers, Devils, Sens, and Toronto. That would still put us in the lottery and we'd get a pretty good pick. It would also mean we finished on a pretty good note. That's an important lesson for the youngsters on this team to take away from this season.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
MichaelK

Ty Wishart has shown more in one game than we ever saw from Gervais or Reese

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Ty Wishart has shown more in one game than we ever saw from Gervais or Reese
behave. wasnt able to see the game but gervais was very good his first year here. him and campoli were thought to be a great pairing for YEARS to come...tho that didnt happen. REALLY not sure wtf happened with them..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
are you?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Andong Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
As Herm Edwards says, "you play to win the game"!

Besides I would like to see the Islanders finish ahead of the Oilers, Devils, Sens, and Toronto. That would still put us in the lottery and we'd get a pretty good pick. It would also mean we finished on a pretty good note. That's an important lesson for the youngsters on this team to take away from this season.
While winning towards the end of the season the last couple years hasn't seemed to sunk in yet, I agree that any mentions of tanking is my berserk button.

Who really cares about one or two draft spots. I think two points goes a lot farther than taking a Tavares or Duchene, or a Larsson or Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins or Landeskog.

Last edited by Andong Wang: 02-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Andong Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

OK back from the game. Here is what I thought watching:
Martin looked to be very physical tonight
Schremp looked more active and it paid off
Whoever the Senator was throwing punches at Taveras when he was down and being held by the ref should have been run later in the game.
Bailey looks lost on the ice. He really doesn't get invloved enough.
Wishart looked OK, even threw a couple of nice checks which I didn't expect based on the early reports on these boards.
Poulin looks solid once he gets his game going. Don't know why he is a slow starter?
That goalie thing, well I feel teams are thinking we are soft because we do not respond physically or lose to very physical teams. Hope I am wrong on this one.
Grabner is going to be a very good offensive weapon!
AMac is really, really good

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
behave. wasnt able to see the game but gervais was very good his first year here. him and campoli were thought to be a great pairing for YEARS to come...tho that didnt happen. REALLY not sure wtf happened with them..
They were split up.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Fun game.

The first period was the type of period that gives coaches gray hair, but a fun game for the fans. But man-oh-man, was that one heck of an ugly first goal against.

Nice to see some goals scored though.

Wishart did A OK for his first game here. He looks tall, a bit slow and gangly, but I do feel his conscientious effort to make the safe and simple play allowed him to be effective this evening.

Elliot was as horrible as one would think having seen a lot of this season's highlights. He doesn't look like an NHL-capable goalie.

Was glad to see each of Moulson, Franzy and Schremp score, because that gets them off the schnide a bit. Nielsen is actually very quietly playing at a .50 PPG pace. He was owned a bit by Spezza tonight in the faceoff circle, but he still shows himself more and more to be the epitome of what every team wants from a 3rd line center.

Now if only we could get a 2nd line center.

Okposo had some problems with the puck tonight. Looked pretty disconbobulated on several occasions. However, it was nice to see Bailey wake up a bit in third. He did some things he hasn't done for weeks. Sure wish he would start doing that EVERY period. Schremp didn't seem out of place on the LW. In previous wing stints, he was usually placed on the RW side. Even Colliton did some good things tonight, although I'm really not a fan of his lumbering style.

Jack obviously likes him.

In any case, we just watched two of the teams that'll likely be picking top 4 this summer.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Are you sure that was a Sens fan? 90% of the people on this board say the same thing!
It's true. Reading most of this thread you think the Islanders got their tails beat. Then in the end there's "fun game" and "good game" stuff but before that almost all complaining lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I <3 Grabner.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
JT has skated into coverage he could not beat 3 different times.
He does not have the speed or stick handling to beat solid guys like Phillips 1 on 1, let alone more than one defender. He's forcing it.
...and you end up trying to make something out of nothing when your team so often loses because you can't score any goals.

He also almost beat three guys on one shift. I'm OK with him testing what he can and can't do. The bigger issue is that he's often skating the puck on a line where he'll have zero opportunity to dish the puck off to anyone or any space and have his own team keep possession.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he hasn't made some bad plays. I just don't think a player is having a bad game because he's trying to do more with less and then ends up paying for it. (Which he didn't. There have been plenty of times where JT has single-handedly kept the puck deep by his own effort or second effort.)

To me, when JT is really having a bad game is when he's not noticeable at all because he's not moving his feet enough. I'd rather see him **** up once or twice because he held the puck too long, or tried to force one pass than not try anything at all. I give plenty of players plenty of **** for doing both of those things I just listed I'll try to explain why this is an exception every now and then. For one, JT just makes a lot more smart players than idiotic plays. Beyond that, I'd rather him be able to explore his creativity. The bigger issue is that he can't really explore it safely while he's on the line that he's on. So that being the case, and the case that we're near the bottom of the standings, I give him a bit of leeway when he's trying to make something out of nothing. I'm positive the coach will be pointing it out and and he'll be going over the video and admitting that he should have made a safer play here and there. As long as it isn't habitual. I don't think he's learning any bad habits and I'm sure that he's smart enough to know when he's ****ed up. I also think he'd be the first person to tell you. That can't be said for other players.

But when the hell else is he going to try some of this stuff? How is he going to learn what he can and can't do here? Some of this stuff he's going to have to try to get away with from time to time. Like I said, he actually did beat a few players. He'll have to figure out what his limits are. It'd be a different story if this was a 27 year old player. It'd be a different story if this was a 20 year old player playing with two veterans who are just as capable on the ice of making space for themselves, or getting to open areas quickly, or retrieving the puck. That's not the content of his line.

JT is a distributor and a finisher. PAP is too slow, too inconsistent, and too unintelligent to be a puck retriever; PAP is also plodding around while skating. Moulson is simply a finisher, but he isn't overly physical, and while he's above average defensively, he's only got average or slightly above average speed. JT has a pretty powerful first stride and can start and stop well, but he does not have any sustained high gear. So with all of that being the case, JT probably thinks he'll never see the puck back once he gives it up. It's just a bad line. I'm hopeful that we can improve it in the future.

Sorry for the excessive rant. I guess I could have summed it up by saying that I feel Tavares' worst games are when he doesn't look hungry for the puck or a threat to score on any of his shifts.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 02-06-2011 at 12:50 AM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 06:33 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
...and you end up trying to make something out of nothing when your team so often loses because you can't score any goals.

He also almost beat three guys on one shift. I'm OK with him testing what he can and can't do. The bigger issue is that he's often skating the puck on a line where he'll have zero opportunity to dish the puck off to anyone or any space and have his own team keep possession.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he hasn't made some bad plays. I just don't think a player is having a bad game because he's trying to do more with less and then ends up paying for it. (Which he didn't. There have been plenty of times where JT has single-handedly kept the puck deep by his own effort or second effort.)

To me, when JT is really having a bad game is when he's not noticeable at all because he's not moving his feet enough. I'd rather see him **** up once or twice because he held the puck too long, or tried to force one pass than not try anything at all. I give plenty of players plenty of **** for doing both of those things I just listed I'll try to explain why this is an exception every now and then. For one, JT just makes a lot more smart players than idiotic plays. Beyond that, I'd rather him be able to explore his creativity. The bigger issue is that he can't really explore it safely while he's on the line that he's on. So that being the case, and the case that we're near the bottom of the standings, I give him a bit of leeway when he's trying to make something out of nothing. I'm positive the coach will be pointing it out and and he'll be going over the video and admitting that he should have made a safer play here and there. As long as it isn't habitual. I don't think he's learning any bad habits and I'm sure that he's smart enough to know when he's ****ed up. I also think he'd be the first person to tell you. That can't be said for other players.

But when the hell else is he going to try some of this stuff? How is he going to learn what he can and can't do here? Some of this stuff he's going to have to try to get away with from time to time. Like I said, he actually did beat a few players. He'll have to figure out what his limits are. It'd be a different story if this was a 27 year old player. It'd be a different story if this was a 20 year old player playing with two veterans who are just as capable on the ice of making space for themselves, or getting to open areas quickly, or retrieving the puck. That's not the content of his line.

JT is a distributor and a finisher. PAP is too slow, too inconsistent, and too unintelligent to be a puck retriever; PAP is also plodding around while skating. Moulson is simply a finisher, but he isn't overly physical, and while he's above average defensively, he's only got average or slightly above average speed. JT has a pretty powerful first stride and can start and stop well, but he does not have any sustained high gear. So with all of that being the case, JT probably thinks he'll never see the puck back once he gives it up. It's just a bad line. I'm hopeful that we can improve it in the future.

Sorry for the excessive rant. I guess I could have summed it up by saying that I feel Tavares' worst games are when he doesn't look hungry for the puck or a threat to score on any of his shifts.

Mitch
I get your point, and I only said he was not having a good first period. He did much better th erest of the game, stopped trying to force plays that weren't there or that he doesn't have the skills for. He isn't Pavel Datsyuk or Claude Giroux. That being said, he does not have ideal linemates, and in fact PAP is an anchor, someone who retards JT's creativity, or to put it another way, he makes JT work twice as hard to succeed that he would have to with a better, more suitable winger.
What I was unhappy with is that JT was trying to do what he did early in the season. It didn't work then, it won't work now except on occassion. He can not beat a postionally sound, large, experienced NHL defender 1 on 1 without more attacking speed. Once or twice he skated directly into double coverage with nowhere to go (except down to the ice) and no one to dish to. Like I said, he did that earlier in te year, then he got away from it and started to be effective down low. He has to make a decison to chip the puck and try to go get it or hope one of PAP or Moulson can get there or pressure the puck.
But like I said, he quit that in period 2 and was more effective. He had no real dangerous scoring chances in the game, but that is another story.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote