HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo wants to make playoffs needs?

Old
02-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Hawaiinleaf

vCash: 500
Buffalo wants to make playoffs needs?

New management .... whats the need? Playing the leafs got me to thinking the Sabres defense is there obvious weakness..

Karbele or Beauch...Both improve there team...

what comes back...

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
New management .... whats the need? Playing the leafs got me to thinking the Sabres defense is there obvious weakness..

Karbele or Beauch...Both improve there team...

what comes back...
Scoring is actually Buffalo's biggest issue. Their defense has been relatively good most of the season.

02-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Pengo

Centers.

Vanek-?-Pominville
Ennis-?-Stafford
Gerbe-?-McCormick
Nieds-?-Grier

That's a good lineup... and then you add the centers:

Hecht
Byron
Connolly
Gaustad

I have no idea where we'll get any though.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:43 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Scoring is actually Buffalo's biggest issue. Their defense has been relatively good most of the season.
Yep. With the loss of Roy there's really only two people on the team that can be expected to score with any regularity. Vanek and Stafford (Pominville and Conolly to a lesser extent). If they are shut down, or having a bad night it becomes very difficult for the them to win. Like having an ace pitcher but not offense to generate any runs.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDo0k View Post
Yep. With the loss of Roy there's really only two people on the team that can be expected to score with any regularity. Vanek and Stafford (Pominville and Conolly to a lesser extent). If they are shut down, or having a bad night it becomes very difficult for the them to win. Like having an ace pitcher but not offense to generate any runs.
For what it's worth, Pominville very quietly put up 24 points in his last 26 games. Not flashy, but I'd say that counts as "regularity".

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

a miracle

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
wyldthing89

1st, they need Miller at his best.

2nd, Connolly have to step up and be the center he was last year and the 48 games of 08-09. We also need some brainwash to give confidence to this team. Every damn games they take a 2-0 lead in the 1st, they blow it in the 2nd. The other team have to score one and in their head, they already think...... not again !!!

Also all those bad decisions with the puck causing turnovers, we see that too often.

And finally in the trade market, we need hands and if he is a center, it will be a must.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Buffalo is a fringe playoff team, and, as such, is not going to fork over the assets necessary to get more expensive rentals like Kabs. Plus, entering last night's game Buffalo's PP was up to 11th in the league. Not great, but not bad. I'd much rather pursue Kabs in free agency than give up what it'd take to get him at the deadline.

Beauchemin? Meh. Needs a change of scenery, but Buffalo has enough LH defensemen. As others have said, we need centers. Bozak could be a decent option as a 2B/3 center, but I'm pretty sure the Leafs would require an overpayment for him. Bad trading partners.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Record since Roy went out (12/23) when:

Pominville, Vanek, or Stafford score a goal: 7-3-1
Pominville, Vanek, or Stafford score a point: 9-3-1
Pominville, Vanek, and Stafford combine for multiple points: 7-3-1

Those three do not score a goal: 2-3-0
Those three do not score a point: 0-3-0

When our best offensive players are our best offensive players, we win. Funny how that works. Those three guys have to step up big time.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
For what it's worth, Pominville very quietly put up 24 points in his last 26 games. Not flashy, but I'd say that counts as "regularity".
Yea I guess that'd I'd put Pominville in there as well. But its important to remember that points are not really the same as goals. At the end of the night the team with the most combined points don't win, its the team with the most goals. So while it's great that Poms is quietly nearly a PPG player for a bit now, they need more people that we can count on for goals, not points.

Note: I understand that having Poms at nearly PPG is a really good thing, and that it is probably one of the reasons why they played well up to the all-star break. But as last night showed if they aren't getting production from their goal scorers you really can't expect anyone else to score. Gaustad and Grier are not going to score them into the play-offs.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDo0k View Post
Yea I guess that'd I'd put Pominville in there as well. But its important to remember that points are not really the same as goals. At the end of the night the team with the most combined points don't win, its the team with the most goals. So while it's great that Poms is quietly nearly a PPG player for a bit now, they need more people that we can count on for goals, not points.

Note: I understand that having Poms at nearly PPG is a really good thing, and that it is probably one of the reasons why they played well up to the all-star break. But as last night showed if they aren't getting production from their goal scorers you really can't expect anyone else to score. Gaustad and Grier are not going to score them into the play-offs.
Ten goals in that span. Fourteen assists. He's doing his job -- I would say Vanek and Stafford are as well.

The big missing again is Tim Connolly, who hasn't scored a goal since the game Roy was hurt in -- that's twelve games without a goal and only 6 assists in that span. He's deadweight and even the two guys who've been the most self-motivated and energetic wingers night-to-night for the last month were no help to him last night.

Someone else who can score a timely goal would be most welcome. If the guy could also not completely disappear for most shifts game to game, even better.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote