HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Spartak Arkhangelsk

Old
02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
gotthequalifications

vCash: 500
Spartak Arkhangelsk

Hello, I was wondering if anyone might have any information on Spartak Arkhangelsk, from the late Soviet Union years. It seems they were in the top league at least a couple of seasons (1987-88, 1988-89, 1989-90, something like that?), but finished with poor records. Were they a feeder club for Spartak Moscow? What happened to the club? Thank you in advance.

gotthequalifications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Are you sure about your facts? As far as I remember they were pretty mediocre team in Soviet third league for most of the 80s.

Just because the team is named "Spartak" doesn't mean it was directly linked to the main "Spartak" in top league. There were several teams named Spartak, Dinamo, SKA all over Soviet Union. It only suggests that they all were sponsored by the same organization. There were no parent/feeder club relationships between clubs as far as I know at that time.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
gotthequalifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Are you sure about your facts? As far as I remember they were pretty mediocre team in Soviet third league for most of the 80s.

Just because the team is named "Spartak" doesn't mean it was directly linked to the main "Spartak" in top league. There were several teams named Spartak, Dinamo, SKA all over Soviet Union. It only suggests that they all were sponsored by the same organization. There were no parent/feeder club relationships between clubs as far as I know at that time.
Hi, and thanks for your reply. No, I'm not sure about my facts, that's why I am asking. Any information would be helpful.

OK, no "official" feeder system for the big clubs, but as you say there were Army, Dinamo and Spartak clubs throughout the USSR and the great majority of the top Soviet players ended up on the Moscow teams, mainly CSKA, Dinamo and Spartak, regardless of where they were born, didn't they? That's more than a coincidence, isn't it?

Old
02-10-2011, 11:35 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotthequalifications View Post
Hi, and thanks for your reply. No, I'm not sure about my facts, that's why I am asking. Any information would be helpful.

OK, no "official" feeder system for the big clubs, but as you say there were Army, Dinamo and Spartak clubs throughout the USSR and the great majority of the top Soviet players ended up on the Moscow teams, mainly CSKA, Dinamo and Spartak, regardless of where they were born, didn't they? That's more than a coincidence, isn't it?
Well yeah, but there were no pyramids as such. Helmuts Balderis being a superstar on a Dinamo Riga roster didn't end up playing for Dinamo Moscow, he was snatched up by CSKA instead. Though whole country was in a sort of a feeder club relationships with teams from Moscow as you said.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
gotthequalifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Well yeah, but there were no pyramids as such. Helmuts Balderis being a superstar on a Dinamo Riga roster didn't end up playing for Dinamo Moscow, he was snatched up by CSKA instead. Though whole country was in a sort of a feeder club relationships with teams from Moscow as you said.
You're right - didn't Balderis have to really battle to be able to continue to play with Riga, or to return to Riga after a time in Moscow? I saw him play with Minnesota in 1989-90 and he had some amazing skills, even though he was about 37 at the time.

Old
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
ozo

Did some proper research. Spartak Arkhangelsk first shows up in 1980/81 season in Soviet third tier (Вторая лига) and vanishes after 1989/90 season. Being in lower-midtable team for most years. Team shows up once more in 1996/97 season and immediately after disappears again.

Can I ask were did you get an information that they were in top tier?

Old
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

The three most notable players from the city of Arkhangelsk all ended up developing through the Yaroslavl system - Afanasenkov, Glazachev, Pervyshin.

Though, EliteProspects credits Spartak Arkhangelsk as Afanasenkov's youth team.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Pushkin

Do they have a team there today?

Pushkin is offline   Reply With Quote