HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

OFFICIAL 2011 Draft Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2011, 02:57 AM
  #51
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Another very good site is...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Just click on the player for analysis (SC) and you tube videos are usually available underneath = )

__________________
Countdown to opening night
MattMartin is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
  #52
Isles Drive 4 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
As weird as it is to say this, I almost hope we don't get the first pick.. I'd rather get the second or third... Reason being, I am becoming convinced Larsson is becoming the consensus first overall pick and I'd think we'd be forced to take him and I dont want a defenseman... I'd rather have a forward, and at 2 or 3, we'd be getting Landeskog/RNH/Couturier... I'm happy walking away with one of those three forwards and building our D in the later rounds, free agency, etc..
Valid point....I've been leaning towards this thinking myself. Don't get me wrong love to have Larsson...but right now what we need most of all is a speedy play making forward (RNH..Cough....Cough). I know it will be a few years before he will play for the Isles and thats the down side of this strategy..while Larsson could/should play right away.However..with next years draft projecting to be a very strong draft for defensemen..ala 2008 by all accounts that I have read, I think it would be most beneficial to draft a forward this year especially since K.O and Bailey ..to me..haven't progressed as projected. I still think those guys will become good to very good players in time, i mean they are both still very young.

Just thinking out aloud..if

Ottawa - finishes 1st overall..I think they will draft a forward= S.C

Edmonton - finishes 1st overall..I def. think they take defensemen= Larsson

Isles - finish first overall I think they take Larsson just because he's big and the most ready to play in the NHL out of all the prospects.

Devils - finishes 1st overall they too will most def, take a defensemen = Larsson

so by my calculation we have a 50/50 chance, at best of getting Larsson, but I don't think were gonna end up with the 1st overall pick so that percentage decreases by at least 25%..so by the numbers I think we will end up with a forward to which I hope its RNH

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
  #53
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Watch this coast to coast rush and goal by Nicklas Jensen... The kid is 6'3 with very good speed and hands... Thats a heck of a package...

Here are some connections for u... Jensen is Danish... the Isles most consistent player this year happens to be Danish... perhaps Snow goes back to that pipeline??

Second connection.. notice Jensen celebrating this goal with Calvin DeHaan.... whats important about that... I think the Isles fell for DeHaan as they were scouting Tavares..... perhaps as the Isles are keeping an eye on DeHaan this year, our scouts notice this big skilled Danish kid?? Just sayin....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VOKOos-us
I have no doubt that the Isles' scouts know full well about Jensen.

Your connections pose a certain logic. Then again, I'm sure Ottawa is fully aware of him as well.

If they are targeting a Jensen or another player with such connections (see Bartschi), then this would indicate that they look into a deal allowing them to send our 1st to a team picking later in the draft, picking up a young veteran scorer (perhaps due for a bigger payday) in the process.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
  #54
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 80
For those who think if Edmonton gets 1st overall it's a foregone conclusion they take Larsson, I don't necessarily agree with that.

The Oilers are pretty deep on the wing (Hall, Eberle, MPS) with youngsters and veterans (Hemsky, Penner), but one of their biggest issues is not having talented centermen to play with those guys.

Right now Sam Gagner is their default number one center. Their second line center is Shawn Horcoff. I don't think either guy, in their prime, is a legitimate #1 center. The only way they have a legitimate #1 center is if they believe moving Hall permanently to center is an option. But ideally, I'm not sure they want to do that for the long-term.

So adding a center like Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins might actually appeal to them, even ahead of selecting a franchise defenseman.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
  #55
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I don't know, of the bottom teams, they have the most dire need for a center with size and skill, and with the speed they have on wings would be the most able to overlook skating. I could see them taking Couturier.
agree but they have got 4 very young and talented fowards up front Hall Eberle MPS and Omark.....There biggest hole IMO is at Defense....but Nothing suprises me anymore I learned to throw expectations out.......Cam Fowler

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
  #56
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
If RNH and Tavares would play together, I would expect RNH to be the centerman, flanked by Moulson and Tavares.The thing with RNH is you shouldn't expect him to come in from day one and be a superstar. Barring use of steroids and HGH, he will probably take three years to develop into a superstar.

Edit: What I am saying is that the RNH / Matt Duchene comparisons are generally very wrong, because Matt had an NHL-ready body from day one. RNH is very thin and reminds me of Vinny Lecavalier when he came into the league (fraile, too weak to win battles, etc.).

Edit #2: And there is no question when all is said and done that he will be the highest point producer from this draft. But you have to wait for him to blossom.
that would work best......considering Tavares would be a beast on the wing

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
  #57
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Ar far as guys outside the top 10....

I really like Sven Bartshi and Ty Rattie in the 10-15 range... prob too high to trade back up for with 2nd round pick package (I'm not trading down with my top 4 pick)

15-25: Niklas Jensen, Jamie Oleksiak, Daniel Catennaci, Alexander Khokhlachev and David Musil.....

I really like Huberdeau, Strome, Siemens and Dougie Hamilton, but they definitely fit in a category as not warranted with a top 4 pick but will go way too high to package back up for with later picks....

How about:

One of the consensus top 4 picks and trade up to the 20-25 range for one of:

Bartshi, Rattie, Jensen, Oleksiak, Catennaci, Khoklachev or Musil???

That would be nice....
Im hoping we land one of those dudes as well as our lottery pick...Huberdeau and Nino Jr might be out of reach but for some reason Khoklochev is not that high on anyones mock list...but all it takes is one team to like him....hes would be a beast for us

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
  #58
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
Wasn't it some guru who said that this year it's so close between the prospects that you may very well get the best player at #6?

In that case I'd have nothing against trading the pick, unless we hold the #1.

IslesNorway is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 01:30 PM
  #59
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,089
vCash: 50
its hard to say how the isles will go from here on out, i think they will do fine and go just below .500 but will tail off if martinek is traded before the deadline but then finish out strong.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
  #60
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
I'd be shocked if we finished outside the bottom 4. Edmonton is not good, Ottawa has given up, and Devils are playing more to their talent level. We're hanging by a thread and if Poulin goes down, we're getting #1 overall.

The way I see it finishing:
  1. Edmonton
  2. Ottawa
  3. Islanders
  4. Toronto
  5. Devils

Of course with the lottery this means that we could finish 4th.

periferal is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
  #61
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
As weird as it is to say this, I almost hope we don't get the first pick.. I'd rather get the second or third... Reason being, I am becoming convinced Larsson is becoming the consensus first overall pick
I wouldn't be sure of that at all. Nugent-Hopkins is right there with him at the moment and has a lot of momentum. He's been lights out over the last few weeks and is surging. If he continues to play the way he is playing, it'll be pretty obvious that he's the best player in the draft.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 03:20 PM
  #62
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,449
vCash: 500
If its not RNH or Larrson, I would trade down. I would also trade down if a team like the Bruins or some other team with major assets is willing to deal and make the Isles an offer they could not refuse.

Hamilton, Seimens, Rattie, Huberdeau

Sneekypete is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
  #63
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

The way I see it finishing:
  1. Edmonton
  2. Ottawa
  3. Islanders
  4. Toronto
  5. Devils

Of course with the lottery this means that we could finish 4th.
I pretty much see it like that too, but I also expect FLA to fall into the mix.

Until the trade deadline has come and past, I will expect them to unload Vokoun and likely 1-5 additional skaters - maybe even Weiss and Booth. If that's the case, and throwing in that Clemmensen would likely be finishing the season as the starter, the Cats aren't gonna be winning all that much down the stretch.

However, I believe Jersey ultimately finishes off better than at least the last five in the league.

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
  #64
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Zach Philips could be this years toffoli....we go Defensman in first round we should grab him in the 2nd if certain player are already taken.....

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 04:38 PM
  #65
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 1130
I want RNH as well, I remember how much I heard about Josh Bailey being a play making center with excellent skills who would be the QB making great plays and averaging 50 - 60 assists a year. Sadly we havent seen that yet..I have not given up on Bailey but I wont mind him being involved in a trade that would land us a big fish.

Draft RNH, give him a year to develop and gain weight and then bring him on the team in 2012.

Dutch Frost is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
  #66
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleOkposo View Post
Another very good site is...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Just click on the player for analysis (SC) and you tube videos are usually available underneath = )
Great link but If the Devils did draft first they are picking Larsson and they will anoint him as Scott Stevens part 2

Dutch Frost is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
  #67
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Great link but If the Devils did draft first they are picking Larsson and they will anoint him as Scott Stevens part 2
Most likely, but that website doesn't factor in team needs or draft history or anything like that. It's just a ranking of the prospects and a draft order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
agree but they have got 4 very young and talented fowards up front Hall Eberle MPS and Omark.....There biggest hole IMO is at Defense....but Nothing suprises me anymore I learned to throw expectations out.......Cam Fowler
I agree that they have a need for D as well, and certainly am not dismissing that they may very well take Larsson. I'm just saying that I could see them taking Couturier as well, seeing that all the forwards you mention are small and play wing. Couturier is practically an ideal center for their lineup, so I imagine he would be hard for Edmonton to pass up.


Last edited by Seph: 02-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Seph is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
  #68
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
For those who think if Edmonton gets 1st overall it's a foregone conclusion they take Larsson, I don't necessarily agree with that.

The Oilers are pretty deep on the wing (Hall, Eberle, MPS) with youngsters and veterans (Hemsky, Penner), but one of their biggest issues is not having talented centermen to play with those guys.

Right now Sam Gagner is their default number one center. Their second line center is Shawn Horcoff. I don't think either guy, in their prime, is a legitimate #1 center. The only way they have a legitimate #1 center is if they believe moving Hall permanently to center is an option. But ideally, I'm not sure they want to do that for the long-term.

So adding a center like Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins might actually appeal to them, even ahead of selecting a franchise defenseman.
I would bet my DP Jersey that the Oil would take RNH 1st overall as he's basically playing in their back yard (only 2 hours away). I don't think Oiler fans would forgive them if they drafted someone from overseas rather than a local kid (local by way of junior team).

TheBoss22 is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
  #69
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I would bet my DP Jersey that the Oil would take RNH 1st overall as he's basically playing in their back yard (only 2 hours away). I don't think Oiler fans would forgive them if they drafted someone from overseas rather than a local kid (local by way of junior team).
It seems like most Oil fans realize they need to improve there defense

On a side note looks like Jersey is ahead of us in the standings(although only by 1 point and we have a game in hand). Way I see things Oilers will finish last, Ottawa will finish 2nd last and we finish 3rd last.

boredmale is online now  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
  #70
OhNoItsComeau57
Registered User
 
OhNoItsComeau57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It seems like most Oil fans realize they need to improve there defense

On a side note looks like Jersey is ahead of us in the standings(although only by 1 point and we have a game in hand). Way I see things Oilers will finish last, Ottawa will finish 2nd last and we finish 3rd last.
This is pretty much how I see it as well. If you look at the standings I think we would need to win 20 of our remaining 30 to get out of the bottom 5 so I think a lottery pick is nearly a given. I have been thinking it for 2 weeks already and their play has me nearly convinced but I think the devils dont finish bottom 5.

The only reason I am skeptical about your order is that we still have alot of games left against playoff teams in the east, coupled with 4 against the much improved devils and I think we only have 5 soft games left out of 30, 3x Toronto, 1x Ottawa, 1x Buffalo (maybe add 2x florida but they have been prickly this year and always play us tough).

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline  
Old
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
  #71
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I have no doubt that the Isles' scouts know full well about Jensen.

Your connections pose a certain logic. Then again, I'm sure Ottawa is fully aware of him as well.

If they are targeting a Jensen or another player with such connections (see Bartschi), then this would indicate that they look into a deal allowing them to send our 1st to a team picking later in the draft, picking up a young veteran scorer (perhaps due for a bigger payday) in the process.
No thanks.. I'm not trading our first.... If the Isles want Jensen or anyone else in the 15-25 range, I'm packaging our 2nd rounder as well as whatever other picks, and maybe even one prospect to move up in that range to get him.. But not trading our first..

petrocelli is offline  
Old
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
  #72
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
No thanks.. I'm not trading our first.... If the Isles want Jensen or anyone else in the 15-25 range, I'm packaging our 2nd rounder as well as whatever other picks, and maybe even one prospect to move up in that range to get him.. But not trading our first..
Personally, I've not been a fan of the moves to get de Haan and Nelson. Like the players, but not the moves. If they become good players for us and help make this team a winner, then the assets traded to get them will be irrelevant. It is nice to see Snow toss the dice in order to grab kids his scouting staff has identified and seems to be certain of, but I too am VERY certain that this team could have gotten a better return by keeping and usuing the picks it had in both those drafts - two very deep ones. As such, I'm gonna be looking VERYYYYYYY closely at whether de Haan is ever better than Kulikov (who was higher ranked and is looking like a fine, fine Dman, despite having gone 3 spots after de Haan) and say any combination of Faulk/Merrill/Marincin/Toffoli/Hamilton and Zucker/Martindale/McKegg, i.e. guys who could have been had at 35 and 57 and who the scouting community had identified as being good value in that range (with Merrill having been expected to go around 20-25).

2011:
I can't see into the future, but as Brian Compton (Comcasts with Botta at IPB) says, this looks like the year the Isles use that #1 to rake in a young veteran scorer. I suggest that if their pick is top 3, they send it for an Oshie/Steen/Brassard/Voracek/Little type as well as the ensuing team's 1st rounder, in the sample cases surely somewhere between 9-18.

We'd likely still get a Hamilton/Bartschi/Jensen type player AND a young scorer who we'd surely NOT be able to get on the market.

I generally am not a "Trade our 1st" type of guy, but with a draft field as wide open as this one, seeing how many of our own kids are looking to contribute as soon as next season, knowing there are good young kids around the league who are in for a payday that their respective team might not be able to manage, and seeing how difficult it is for Snow to rake in such kids via free agency, I think the time is ripe for a move of this nature.

And as I mentioned, if a top 3 or 4 pick gets us a good kid for the here and now AS WELL AS another first rounder in a year where a number of guys ranked 5-25 could ultimately be one of the top players in the draft, then I'm all for doing that and placing that odus into the hands of the scouting staff to identify THAT kid.

Strictly theoretical:
What if we would make a deal with say Columbus. What if they take Couturier to be that #1 center they've long missed and he delivers by having an Eric Staal-like impact on that franchise (fully conceivable, right?). Or they take RNH and he becomes their #1 center and has a Patrick Kane-like impact. In return, let's say we'd bring in Voracek (who spends the next few years putting up 50-60 points as a strong top 6 forward) while we'd then use the pick to draft said Jensen, who in 3 years time is having a Patric Hornqvist-type impact (which I believe is very likely for the best prospect Denmark has ever produced). Considering these guys would be spending that time working with the continually improved Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Hamonic, de Haan, MacDonald and Bailey/Cizikas/Lee/Gregoire (much less Nielsen and Moulson), would this not be a fairly logical and success-oriented route for Snow to take?

In other words, folks, really don't be surprised if this type of thing happens.

Or alternatively, don't be surprised if the Isles send a top 3 1st rounder to Boston for their 2 firsts and a guy like Andy Ference (salary dump).


Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-07-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-07-2011, 08:50 AM
  #73
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Personally, I've not been a fan of the moves to get de Haan and Nelson. Like the players, but not the moves. If they become good players for us and help make this team a winner, then the assets traded to get them will be irrelevant. It is nice to see Snow toss the dice in order to grab kids his scouting staff has identified and seems to be certain of, but I too am VERY certain that this team could have gotten a better return by keeping and usuing the picks it had in both those drafts - two very deep ones. As such, I'm gonna be looking VERYYYYYYY closely at whether de Haan is ever better than Kulikov (who was higher ranked and is looking like a fine, fine Dman, despite having gone 3 spots after de Haan) and say any combination of Faulk/Merrill/Marincin/Toffoli/Hamilton and Zucker/Martindale/McKegg, i.e. guys who could have been had at 35 and 57 and who the scouting community had identified as being good value in that range (with Merrill having been expected to go around 20-25).

2011:
I can't see into the future, but as Brian Compton (Comcasts with Botta at IPB) says, this looks like the year the Isles use that #1 to rake in a young veteran scorer. I suggest that if their pick is top 3, they send it for an Oshie/Steen/Brassard/Voracek/Little type as well as the ensuing team's 1st rounder, in the sample cases surely somewhere between 9-18.

We'd likely still get a Hamilton/Bartschi/Jensen type player AND a young scorer who we'd surely NOT be able to get on the market.

I generally am not a "Trade our 1st" type of guy, but with a draft field as wide open as this one, seeing how many of our own kids are looking to contribute as soon as next season, knowing there are good young kids around the league who are in for a payday that their respective team might not be able to manage, and seeing how difficult it is for Snow to rake in such kids via free agency, I think the time is ripe for a move of this nature.

And as I mentioned, if a top 3 or 4 pick gets us a good kid for the here and now AS WELL AS another first rounder in a year where a number of guys ranked 5-25 could ultimately be one of the top players in the draft, then I'm all for doing that and placing that odus into the hands of the scouting staff to identify THAT kid.

Strictly theoretical:
What if we would make a deal with say Columbus. What if they take Couturier to be that #1 center they've long missed and he delivers by having an Eric Staal-like impact on that franchise (fully conceivable, right?). Or they take RNH and he becomes their #1 center and has a Patrick Kane-like impact. In return, let's say we'd bring in Voracek (who spends the next few years putting up 50-60 points as a strong top 6 forward) while we'd then use the pick to draft said Jensen, who in 3 years time is having a Patric Hornqvist-type impact (which I believe is very likely for the best prospect Denmark has ever produced). Considering these guys would be spending that time working with the continually improved Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Hamonic, de Haan, MacDonald and Bailey/Cizikas/Lee/Gregoire (much less Nielsen and Moulson), would this not be a fairly logical and success-oriented route for Snow to take?

In other words, folks, really don't be surprised if this type of thing happens.

Or alternatively, don't be surprised if the Isles send a top 3 1st rounder to Boston for their 2 firsts and a guy like Andy Ference (salary dump).
The only guy in your first list that would entice me is Oshie and I don't think St. Louis would trade their first and Oshie for a top 3 to be honest.

If that Boston trade happened I'd be pretty damn happy, but if Toronto and The Isles are gonna finish around the same spot why would Boston make that deal?

Personally I wouldn't shop the pick if I was Garth, I'd let the other gm's come to me with offers and play everything close to the vest. It would have to be total overpayment for me to move that pick. I think the best option would be to move back into the first round personally and pick up a guy like Rattie or whoever else might be on Snow's list.

The draft is one place I totally trust Snow right now, I think he knows the right moves to make. I won't even trash Snow on the Rosen pick because honestly it's a 7th rounder. The only problem I ever had with his drafting is the Mikko pick, not because of the player but who was selected around him(Ferraro, O'Reilly, ect). It wasn't the proper time to be picking a goalie.

Brunomics is offline  
Old
02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
  #74
CaptDenisPotvin
Registered User
 
CaptDenisPotvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
My username relates to the fact I had two abstracts published in the Journal of Undergraduate Research, where I did cutting edge studies on the human brain under leading researchers in the field of nuclear imaging.

As I recall, somebody named my computer in the lab "ultrabrain". I am a geek at heart and we geeks tend to like naming things in bunches using simple gimmicks, like naming Linux distributions after Toy Story characters (Debian Sarge, Debian Woody, etc...)
I think I speak for everyone here when I say.....Can you explain the disconnect between Wangs right hand being unable to reac his wallet?

Thanks in advance!

CaptDenisPotvin is offline  
Old
02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
  #75
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Personally, I've not been a fan of the moves to get de Haan and Nelson. Like the players, but not the moves. If they become good players for us and help make this team a winner, then the assets traded to get them will be irrelevant. It is nice to see Snow toss the dice in order to grab kids his scouting staff has identified and seems to be certain of, but I too am VERY certain that this team could have gotten a better return by keeping and usuing the picks it had in both those drafts - two very deep ones. As such, I'm gonna be looking VERYYYYYYY closely at whether de Haan is ever better than Kulikov (who was higher ranked and is looking like a fine, fine Dman, despite having gone 3 spots after de Haan) and say any combination of Faulk/Merrill/Marincin/Toffoli/Hamilton and Zucker/Martindale/McKegg, i.e. guys who could have been had at 35 and 57 and who the scouting community had identified as being good value in that range (with Merrill having been expected to go around 20-25).

2011:
I can't see into the future, but as Brian Compton (Comcasts with Botta at IPB) says, this looks like the year the Isles use that #1 to rake in a young veteran scorer. I suggest that if their pick is top 3, they send it for an Oshie/Steen/Brassard/Voracek/Little type as well as the ensuing team's 1st rounder, in the sample cases surely somewhere between 9-18.

We'd likely still get a Hamilton/Bartschi/Jensen type player AND a young scorer who we'd surely NOT be able to get on the market.

I generally am not a "Trade our 1st" type of guy, but with a draft field as wide open as this one, seeing how many of our own kids are looking to contribute as soon as next season, knowing there are good young kids around the league who are in for a payday that their respective team might not be able to manage, and seeing how difficult it is for Snow to rake in such kids via free agency, I think the time is ripe for a move of this nature.

And as I mentioned, if a top 3 or 4 pick gets us a good kid for the here and now AS WELL AS another first rounder in a year where a number of guys ranked 5-25 could ultimately be one of the top players in the draft, then I'm all for doing that and placing that odus into the hands of the scouting staff to identify THAT kid.

Strictly theoretical:
What if we would make a deal with say Columbus. What if they take Couturier to be that #1 center they've long missed and he delivers by having an Eric Staal-like impact on that franchise (fully conceivable, right?). Or they take RNH and he becomes their #1 center and has a Patrick Kane-like impact. In return, let's say we'd bring in Voracek (who spends the next few years putting up 50-60 points as a strong top 6 forward) while we'd then use the pick to draft said Jensen, who in 3 years time is having a Patric Hornqvist-type impact (which I believe is very likely for the best prospect Denmark has ever produced). Considering these guys would be spending that time working with the continually improved Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Hamonic, de Haan, MacDonald and Bailey/Cizikas/Lee/Gregoire (much less Nielsen and Moulson), would this not be a fairly logical and success-oriented route for Snow to take?

In other words, folks, really don't be surprised if this type of thing happens.

Or alternatively, don't be surprised if the Isles send a top 3 1st rounder to Boston for their 2 firsts and a guy like Andy Ference (salary dump).

Something told me, I'd be in for a lengthy response from you about my post in regards to not trading the pick...

First off, I would not be in the least bit surprised if Snow does trade the pick this year as Brian Compton suggested (i heard that point blank interview as well).. I'm just not a fan of 99% of the scenarios most people propose..

The way I see it, if we trade our first for a young vet type sniper and lower first round pick, the young vet is not gonna be of the type that holds up to the value of the top 2-4 pick we would have to give up... and the lower first round pick that supposedly makes up the value is a crap shoot (see: Calvin de Haan and Brock Nelson), far from sure things...

Your hypothetical of Jacob Voracek is a perfect example... A young, underacheiving type that would be lucky to top out at 50-60 points..... Is 50-60 points at best worth giving up our first when we could get close to that type of production from Blake Comeau or P.A. Parenteau....

In other words, does a Jacob Voracek give us that much more than a guy like Comeau, Parentaeu or a free agent signing that we don't have to give up a first overall to obtain???

I feel the young vet players that would be a significant upgrade just aren't on the block.. Teams don't trade those types of players....

And these types of scenarios are very Milbury-esqe! The quick fix..... Actually, that is a perfect example, I feel the young vet we'd get back in a trade would be on the same talent level of a Mark Parrish/Oleg Kvasha..... I don't want another Mark Parrish quick fix.... It's not worth losing out on another Heatley, Gaborik, Spezza (you get the point)....

I know Voracek or guys like him bring other things to the table besides there scoring stat sheet, and I know the later first rounder we get in return would supposedly make up the value difference.... But like I said, later first's are a crap shoot, while a top 2-4 pick could be a franchise type player... Not worth the risk!

What the Isles need is another franchise changing player.. Not 2nd/3rd line fillers...

Let's stay the course... Not pull a panic move...

Trading a top 4 pick in year 3 of the rebuild would be a panic move...

And as far as not liking the moves leading to the de Haan pick.... I liked the moves, just didn't like the pick... Like you mentioned, Kulikov was there and I much would have preferred him or Chris Kreider.... but that is history, and the 2nd/3rd rounders we traded to get de Haan were far less risky than trading a top 4 pick!

petrocelli is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.