HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing goalie on an "occasional" basis?

Old
02-03-2011, 07:47 AM
IslesZoso

vCash: 500
Playing goalie on an "occasional" basis?

I'm 47 years old and currently play 3rd line center in my D rec league. A few times, our goalie had to miss games for whatever reason, which obviously sucks because we end up fielding 6 skaters and get beaten handily anyway.

SO: Since I've always wanted to try the position anyway (played a bit of goalie in HS gym-hockey), how feasible would it be for me to don pads and start playing as the occasional/backup/fill-in goalie on an as-needed basis for my team?

Am I getting in over my head.. biting off more than I can chew?

ps. I'm not too concerned about the equipment costs, as I know someone who can get me second-hand stuff cheap.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
I'm 47 years old and currently play 3rd line center in my D rec league. A few times, our goalie had to miss games for whatever reason, which obviously sucks because we end up fielding 6 skaters and get beaten handily anyway.

SO: Since I've always wanted to try the position anyway (played a bit of goalie in HS gym-hockey), how feasible would it be for me to don pads and start playing as the occasional/backup/fill-in goalie on an as-needed basis for my team?

Am I getting in over my head.. biting off more than I can chew?

ps. I'm not too concerned about the equipment costs, as I know someone who can get me second-hand stuff cheap.
How feasible? Very. Put the gear on and get in the crease.

How effective will you be? That's a different question. Certainly just having a body in between the pipes for a full game will be better than not. If you are going to do this, I would start a good stretching routine immediately. And, during the game, I would just try to play the angles (get to the top of the crease) and let the puck hit you as much as possible. Also use your stick to block low shots instead of trying to butterfly or kick saves.

I don't know what condition that second hand equipment will be, but I have a set of pads that I could sell you that I have only been using since November that are in great shape as well as a blocker and catcher. Shoot me a PM. I see you are in Long Island. I could meet you somewhere off the NJ Turnpike.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 02-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I see you are in Long Island. I could meet you somewhere off the NJ Turnpike.
OP Id bring a **** whistle just in-case!

Seriously though, if you got the cash to spend on some equipment and feel that you can do the up/down part of goaltending without killin your knees, then go for it for sure. If you goalie misses a few games and yall have noone because of it then thats a big green light to me. What will your team do, ***** at you for trying to help out?

All n all its rec league and its for fun, no reason you can't fill in, if anyone complained about it they would have mental issues.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
rinkrat22

If your body is up to the challenge why not? I would much rather play with one of my teamates in net than skate with 6 guys.

Actually come to think of it we are 3 and 0 over the years in this situation.

Go for it.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Gino 14

If you decide to go ahead with this, make sure you get some stretching exercises built in to your warm-ups. Old guys don't seem to flex as well or recover as quickly as we once did and the price you pay ain't pretty. Other than that, go for it.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
nesford2457

As stated if you body can take it go for it. tip though in warm-ups have the guys shoot and hit you with as money pucks as possible. You need to get over the fear of the puck and them picking corners on you all warm up wont help anything.

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
blueberrydanish

Also something key...you need to keep in mind the type of shots youll face speed wise.

I can't speak for your D league but here the shots usually aren't too heavy so midrange at most will work perfect for ya, but the big thing is to make sure everything fits properly and leaves little to no holes for a puck to catch ya.

A frozen puck lobed in by an 8yrold can sting if it finds the right spot.

Old
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hounsy

A guy I know turned 50 last year and picked up used gear so he could fill in for pick up groups as he was also the guy that was most aggregated at having to shoot at a hanging jersey. Know sounds like he plays in net pretty much twice a week almost already this year as...people always need goalies.

One thing though is he is likely in better shape than anyone else I know his age so that likely helps.

But the long and short is yes go for it as I said people always need goalies.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesford2457 View Post
As stated if you body can take it go for it. tip though in warm-ups have the guys shoot and hit you with as money pucks as possible. You need to get over the fear of the puck and them picking corners on you all warm up wont help anything.
If I get guys going for the corners first thing or coming in on a deke when I first come out I'll skate out of the net, that's just asinine. I'm old and slow and need to get loose slowly and that ain't how to do it.

I fill in on a Wed. night group and they are great, always give me the nice shots to get started, try and always make sure I'm watching when they shoot, and always check to make sure I'm ready when it's time to play. Some of these guys played D1 hockey, and many have played in college or in Europe, so most are good players, way above my skill level. They just appreciate that I'll come and fill in for them whenever they are down a keeper. They even buy the beer afterwards.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesZoso View Post
Doesn't your goalie know other goalies? We've got a pretty deep network in Denver, and I cannot imagine that there aren't networks in other areas.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:34 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Also something key...you need to keep in mind the type of shots youll face speed wise.

I can't speak for your D league but here the shots usually aren't too heavy so midrange at most will work perfect for ya, but the big thing is to make sure everything fits properly and leaves little to no holes for a puck to catch ya.

A frozen puck lobed in by an 8yrold can sting if it finds the right spot.
I've faced a fair number of low-level beer leaguers who can still take a decently hard slapshot. Ignoring the fact that a lot of teams bring in ringers from higher divs, it doesn't take a lot of skill to shoot a puck hard. Any numbskull can take a hard slapshot.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's safer to face an A/B div slapshot than a D div slapshot. The skilled guys can actually pick corners and holes, and try to hit the net, not you. The unskilled guys just shoot hard and hope it goes in.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 01:54 AM
densetsu

It's already been said, but work on your lower-body flexibility. Groin, hips, back, and all major leg muscle groups. http://www.goaliestore.com/doctor/stretch.pdf is a great guide to give you an idea of the kind of stretches you should be doing.

A strong core is also important. Like it or not, guys will eventually crash into you or fall onto you, most likely when you're down on your knees. The stronger your core muscles, the more like you'll stay upright and uninjured. A weak core will mean your upper body could easily bend over backwards or sideways; this can put a big torque on your back, hips, groin, and knees, and is a big risk for damaged muscles and ligaments.

And, of course, equipment has to fit. In most cases, you're fine with senior-level gear as long as it fits -- you might feel a shot or get a small bruise, but it's nothing to worry about. Don't skimp on your mask, though. In general, stay away from anything under $200. The Itech 1400 is a great example of a mask that's inexpensive and CSA/HECC approved, but is notorious for concussions. A good big-name brand mask will cost $350 or more; there are independent mask makers who offer good quality masks around the $250 price point (Hackva, Eddy, etc).

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 05:49 AM
devils30
New Jersey Devils

warning: i switched from forward to goalie and never switched back

i think its more fun, the game is always in your hands

devils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
And, of course, equipment has to fit. In most cases, you're fine with senior-level gear as long as it fits -- you might feel a shot or get a small bruise, but it's nothing to worry about. Don't skimp on your mask, though. In general, stay away from anything under $200. The Itech 1400 is a great example of a mask that's inexpensive and CSA/HECC approved, but is notorious for concussions. A good big-name brand mask will cost $350 or more; there are independent mask makers who offer good quality masks around the $250 price point (Hackva, Eddy, etc).
I have a Hackva and love it. It was $350 new and it's a tank. Wall is another good pro level mask at a lower price point.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
blueberrydanish

Just from my experience, I wear the vaughn 7700(260$~) and have already taken a big chunk of shots off the helmet with no ill effects, only one that caused an issue was the one that skimmed right across my earhole so it rang like a sob at first!

Just my recommendation for a nice price mask that has taken some pretty heavy shots.