HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look at every Doug MacLean transaction from the beginning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
  #1
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
A look at every Doug MacLean transaction from the beginning

(I've been feeling a bit better, but this was exhausting)

Before getting into the transaction reports, a few notes from me.

When building an expansion team, it is pretty much universally recognized that the team is going to struggle off the bat, and the few that don't usually have a collapse that results from having done things in reverse. It would have been entirely possible to draft nothing but pending UFAs, let them all walk, and collect the compensatory picks. It also would have been one thing to draft them, sign them, and miss out on those picks but have a better chance of early success. It would also be another thing to trade those picks and prospects to have a greater shot at early success, knowing that a later collapse is a foregone conclusion. Any one of these represents a clear path to take.

It's also important to note that, with the makeup of the average expansion team roster, there should be zero consideration given to where exactly a player is currently slotted. If Robert Kron were traded in October of 2000, it would represent the loss of the Jackets' first-line center. To anyone else, it's the loss of a fourth-liner. The fact that Robert Kron currently holds the first-line spot doesn't mean that moving him for a good return should be delayed or prevented simply because he has some amount of token importance to an expansion team.

But now, without further ado, it begins...a look at every transaction of the Doug MacLean era. I have excluded the expansion draft for obvious reasons, but the trades surrounding it are noted. Also, a series of random signings for depth have been condensed into single notes rather than looking at each individually.

Date: May 11, 2000
Traded: 98th overall, 2000 draft (Jonas Ronnqvist), 264th overall, 2000 draft (Dmitri Altarev)
Received: Chris Nielsen
Reason: The first trade of the new team! The likelihood of two late picks turning into something compared with a moderately-skilled prospect made this a good move to make.
Outcome: It turns out that Nielsen wasn't that good of a prospect to begin with. In time, he may have developed into a bottom-six forward, but impatience led to his being moved.

Date: May 25, 2000
Traded: 105th overall, 2001 draft (Vladimir Korsunov)
Received: Espen Knutsen
Reason: Knutsen was 28 and had just led the Swedish Elite League in scoring. In addition, he was willing to move back to North America (his one prior year being less than a thrilling one).
Outcome: I was ecstatic when this deal was made, and my enthusiasm turned out to be justified. Knutsen brought scoring to an offensively-starved team and was popular with his teammates. Unfortunately, he was never the same after a certain tragedy of which we will not speak.

Date: June 7, 2000
Traded: 32nd overall, 2000 draft (Tomas Kurka)
Received: Marc Denis
Reason: The goaltending future after an aging Ron Tugnutt was non-existent; Denis was 23 and looked to have a bright future.
Outcome: When this move went down, I thought, "This guy (MacLean) is really putting something special together the right way". The 2000 draft was thin on goalies and talent, and if a 23-year-old Denis were in that draft pool, he'd be in the top-five. There was no doubt that he was going to be a star; not necessarily All-Star material, but among the ten best in the game. The reality is that Denis really wasn't that bad, but people tend to forget how brutal the blueliners in front of him were. Roberto Luongo was facing 30 shots a game, Marc Denis was facing not just 30 shots, but 18-25 that were high-quality scoring chances. When criticism started to mount in 2005-06, MacLean didn't defend him and didn't say anything about the sorry blueline he'd put together.

Date: June 12, 2000
Traded: Considerations (agreement not to select San Jose goalie Evgeny Nabokov in expansion draft)
Received: 278th overall, 2000 draft (Martin Paroulek), Jan Caloun
Reason: Adding a scoring forward plus a late draft pick seemed like a good idea. For what it's worth, Minnesota sent an 8th-rounder to San Jose plus these same "considerations" in exchange for a third-rounder, a seventh-rounder, and Andy Sutton.
Outcome: Obviously, Nabokov would have been an excellent pickup. The unfortunate part was both the overvaluing of Caloun and the failure to put the screws to San Jose. Caloun played just 11 games in Columbus before going back to Finland, and Paroulek never got a chance to see what he could do. This was a big loss of a deal from day one, mostly because Nabokov was someone San Jose desperately wanted to keep...and yes, he was legitimately projected to be an upper-echelon goalie.

Date: June 23, 2000
Traded: Turner Stevenson, 72nd overall, 2001 draft (Brandon Nolan), considerations
Received: Krzyzstof Oliwa, Deron Quint
Reason: Adding toughness and a blueliner. No matter how this deal was actually constructed, it wasn't a good one.
Outcome: I haven't yet been able to figure out the exact logistics of this deal. I've seen it described where Quint was a separate deal for "considerations" and Oliwa was traded for Stevenson and the pick, I've seen a combined deal, and whatever else. Frankly, it doesn't matter. Oliwa was a run-of-the-mill enforcer who had, shall we say, some personal demons. Quint was a third-pairing defenseman. The best pieces in this deal were Stevenson and the draft pick, and both were lost for players about whom serious question marks existed.

Date: June 23, 2000
Traded: Considerations (agreement to pick Dwayne Roloson and Geoff Sanderson in expansion draft)
Received: 150th overall, 2000 draft (Tyler Kolarik); 157th overall, 2001 draft (Andreas Jamtin); Matt Davidson; Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre
Reason: Adding a lot of pieces very quickly
Outcome: This was a terrific deal for several reasons. One, Sanderson would be a second-liner at worst on a good team and would immediately be a first-liner on an expansion team. Second, Roloson would either fight to be the backup or be in the AHL (his own eventual jackassery notwithstanding). Third, two draft picks were acquired. Four, Davidson was a middling prospect, but he would be given chances to see if he could play. Five, Grand-Pierre was a highly-regarded prospect who Buffalo really hated to lose. This was exactly the type of deal that should have been extracted from San Jose for not taking Nabokov.

Date: June 23, 2000
Traded: Considerations (agreement to select Frederic Chabot in expansion draft)
Received: 53rd overall, 2001 draft (Kiel McLeod)
Reason: A second-rounder for taking someone when no one else would really be a desirable option? Sweet!
Outcome: MacLean found a way to turn a sweet deal into nothing, but you can read all about that in his draft review thread.

Date: June 25, 2000
Traded: 267th overall, 2001 draft (Ivan Majesky)
Received: 286th overall, 2000 draft (Andrej Nedorost)
Reason: Andrej Nedorost was a targeted prospect who was there. One thing you'll notice going through the years is that MacLean made a lot of moves involving future draft picks to get one right now. Each time it cost several draft positions, and in one later case, an entire round.
Outcome: Nedorost ended up playing a few games with the Jackets, so it wasn't all bad. Majesky played a few games in the NHL as well. But we're talking about extremely late picks in rounds that don't even exist any more.

Date: June 25, 2000
Traded: 262nd overall, 2002 draft (Christian Soderstrom)
Received: 292nd overall, 2000 draft (Louis Mandeville)
Reason: Having just traded the next year's late pick, the one in 2002 was next on the block.
Outcome: Neither player made the NHL.

Date: May through October, 2000
Signed: Greg Gardner, Jonathan Schill, Mathieu Darche, Jeremy Reich, Blake Bellefeuille, Jamie Heward, Dan Watson, Martin Spanhel, Reggie Savage, Brad Moran, David Vyborny, Lyle Odelein, Ron Tugnutt, Frantisek Kucera, Serge Aubin, Michael Gaul, Bill Bowler, Sean Selmser, Andrei Sryubko, Sergei Klimentiev, Kevin Dahl, Mike Maneluk, Tyler Sloan, Steve Maltais
Reason: Filling holes and rounding out an NHL and AHL roster.
Outcome: Varies wildly. Some, like Vyborny, were key players for several years. Some, like Tugnutt and Odelein, would be traded for pieces. Some, like Selmser and Gaul and Bowler, would be unable to make an expansion team roster for good.

Date: August 16, 2000
Traded: 170th overall, 2003 draft (Andreas Sundin)
Received: Kent McDonell
Reason: Everyone needs a middling AHL-level prospect.
Outcome: McDonell played 32 games with Columbus over two seasons, where, although noted for his generally weak play, he still managed more goals and points than Alex Picard in half as many games.

Date: November 9, 2000
Traded: Bert Robertsson
Received: J-F Labbe
Reason: Marc Denis suffered a groin strain of unknown severity (seriously, that's the reason).
Outcome: Labbe had made himself into a decent prospect, and Robertsson is one of the most replaceable players in CBJ history.

Date: November 27, 2000
Signed: Alexander Selivanov
Reason: Jan Caloun went back to Europe, creating a need for a streaky scorer.
Outcome: Selivanov had once been a decent prospect, but had dropped down to replacement level. Finished out the season with Columbus, then went back to Europe.

Date: January 14, 2001
Traded: Krzyzstof Oliwa
Received: 85th overall, 2001 draft (Aaron Johnson)
Reason: There were a couple of incidents related to Oliwa's various demons that came to a head. Understand that when he first came to North America, he was popular with his teammates, but there soon developed a fear that he was always one drink or one sarcastic comment away from totally going nuts. This trade was a "PLEASE take him off our hands" move.
Outcome: Basically, the Jackets traded 13 draft positions and Turner Stevenson for Deron Quint. This move may have been done out of desperation and netted a surprisingly high return, but it simply highlights how poor the original deal was.

Date: January 31, 2001
Signed: Jody Shelley
Reason: With Oliwa's borderline-psychotic presence out of the lineup, a need for toughness was there. And it's not like he could produce less offensively than Sean Selmser anyway.
Outcome: One of the most popular players in CBJ history, both in the locker room and in the community, Shelley put his fists and face on the line every night and never let his profound lack of fighting skill prevent him from trying to punch his way through the league. The return from his eventual trade was a component of the Jason Williams deal.

Date: March 13, 2001 (trade deadline)
Traded: Kevyn Adams; 117th overall, 2001 draft (Michael Woodford)
Received: Ray Whitney
Reason: Because Doug MacLean wanted to have Whitney on a line with Shelley, then find someone else with a woman's first name on the back of their jersey to round it out. He'd have called it "The Hair Salon Line". Ooh, maybe if Espen Knutsen ("Shampoo") was out there....(I'm kidding, but what a thought!)
Outcome: Whitney scored 137 points in 148 games on an expansion team, then was never offered a contract extension. The original move was larceny, the idiocy that led to his departure was....well, idiocy.

Date: March 13, 2001 (trade deadline)
Traded: Steve Heinze
Received: 87th overall, 2001 draft (Per Mars)
Reason: A guy toward the end of his career and clearly declining for a draft pick. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Outcome: This is a great example of the internal conflict of Doug MacLean. Were the Jackets buyers or sellers? Moving a bottom-six player and a late pick for a scoring forward (Ray Whitney) would indicate buying, but moving one of the top scorers for a draft pick would certainly indicate selling. In any case, Heinze played parts of three years after this before retiring, while Mars...well, read the draft review thread for my thoughts on that pick.

Date: March 13, 2001 (trade deadline)
Traded: Frantisek Kucera
Received: 187th overall, 2001 draft (Artem Vostrikov)
Reason: A replaceable part was desired.
Outcome: Back to the internal conflict thing...Kucera was logging minutes and not embarrassing himself. Was the meager return worthwhile, or was it a dumping move done by sellers at the deadline?

Date: March 13, 2001 (trade deadline)
Claimed off waivers: Blake Sloan
Reason: He was available for nothing.
Outcome: I hate to bring up the internal conflict, but here it is again.

Date: June 24, 2001
Traded: 157th overall, 2001 draft (Andreas Jamtin)
Received: Paul Manning
Reason: Manning was a defenseman who was graduating from Colorado College; Calgary didn't seem to have any interest in keeping him around.
Outcome: This was a good move; Manning had come along nicely in college and looked like a possible bottom-pairing guy in the future. It didn't happen (8 NHL games), but for that matter, have you ever heard of Andreas Jamtin?

Date: Pre-July 1, 2001
Signed: Karl Goehring, Duvie Westcott, Brett Harkins, Jeff Ware
Claimed off waivers: Sean Pronger
Reason: More filling out of the roster
Outcome: Varying degrees of success or failure. Westcott is still being paid from his buyout after an ill-advised contract extension.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
  #2
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
2001-02

Date: July 1 to September 30, 2001
Signed: David Ling, Darrel Scoville, Andrew Penner, Derrick Walser
Reason: Fleshing out the roster and AHL team
Outcome: No real success with any of them, and nothing notable as far as a trade return would go.

Date: July 7, 2001
Signed: Mike Sillinger
Reason: MacLean called Sillinger up and said, "I know that you're not keen on the idea of joining an expansion team, but if you come here, with the amount of roster turnover that we have, you just might be remembered as the guy who played with a crapload of other players. There might be some history to be made there, if enough people with too much time on their hands get involved."
Outcome: That's exactly what happened!

Date: August 29, 2001
Traded: 33rd overall, 2003 draft (Loui Eriksson)
Received: Grant Marshall
Reason: There exists a theory that, rather than existing in a single universe, there are actually an infinite number of universes that continually split off anytime something happens. In theory, then, there exists a world where I decide to focus on schoolwork in my younger days and become a nuclear physicist, or maybe one where I start drinking at 12 and end up on the streets. I can safely say that there does not exist, nor can there exist, a parallel universe where there are conditions in which Grant Marshall is worth a second-round pick.
Outcome: Marshall's career highs in goals in the NHL at this point were 13, 19, and 9. His career highs in points were 37, 31, and 28. His physical game didn't come close to compensating for that, and his defensive game was average at best. He was also 28 years old, so the chances of ever hitting 20 goals or 50 points, even on an expansion team, were fairly remote. He had close to 60 playoff games with Dallas and had never scored a goal (but had eight assists).

If you go back to my opening comments before the 2000-01 transactions, I refer to how to build a team and the various theories on how to do it. Grant Marshall as a second-liner is replaceable. Grant Marshall on a roster is replaceable. The idea of paying much of anything to get someone like Grant Marshall is one thing for a buyer at the deadline with an injury to contend with. For a second-year team to EVER lay out a second-round pick for a third-line winger who's already peaked (and had battled with a groin tear and a neck fracture that caused temporary paralysis) goes far beyond what any sane GM would do. This has nothing to do with the fact that Dallas got Loui Eriksson with the pick; the reaction is the same if they'd taken Tim Ramholt, Mike Egener, or Petr Vrana. Moves like this can cripple teams

Date: September 28, 2001
Claimed off waivers: Kirk Muller
Traded: Kirk Muller
Received: Evgeny Petrochinin
Reason: Muller was picked up from Dallas in the waiver draft; they really wanted him back, so they sent a warm body to get him back.
Outcome: Petrochinin never planned on coming to North America, so he never did.


Date: March 15, 2002
Traded: Jamie Pushor
Received: 103rd overall, 2003 draft (Kevin Jarman)
Reason: Expendable defenseman who could net a return. Why Pushor instead of Radim Bicanek?
Outcome: Pushor would circle back to Columbus twice more, which is more than can be said about Kevin Jarman.

Date: March 19, 2002
Traded: Lyle Odelein
Received: Jaroslav Spacek; 46th overall, 2003 draft (Dan Fritsche)
Reason: That Chicago was willing to give up on Spacek so easily is a great example of what separates the efficient from the inefficient. Columbus, meanwhile, had no need for a pylon way past his prime, but a great need for a puck-moving defenseman. Also, they were short on unibrows.
Outcome: Spacek played well during his career in Columbus. His contract ran out after 2004, and he went back to Florida (never played) and then Chicago. Since then he's become a high-priced journeyman.

Date: March 19, 2002
Traded: Blake Sloan
Received: Jamie Allison
Reason: I'd imagine the same logic that goes into saying, "Hey, I like my $.04 ballpoint pen, but I'd like to try a different one." And the guy in the next cubicle says, "Gosh, Fred, I was just thinking the same thing." (WARNING: This assumes your name is Fred)
Outcome: I 'unno

Date: June 18, 2002
Traded: Ron Tugnutt; 32nd overall, 2002 draft (Janos Vas)
Received: 20th overall, 2002 draft (Daniel Paille)
Reason: Somewhere, Doug MacLean got the idea that Pascal Leclaire would be ready. And if he wasn't, that J-F Labbe was a capable backup. And if not, Marc Denis could be ridden more than your mom. (OHHHHHH!)
Outcome: It gets worse. This actually was not a bad deal here, but Dallas seems to have figured out that MacLean was an easy mark. First was the 2nd rounder/Marshall trade, then the Muller/Petrochinin trade, then this. Janos Vas, by the way, got buried by Dallas and never played an NHL game, although he certainly had the ability to.

Date: June 22, 2002
Traded: 3rd overall, 2002 draft (Jay Bouwmeester); considerations
Received: 1st overall, 2002 draft (Rick Nash)
Reason: Nash was the guy, and he was likely to be there at #3. But he was also a hot commodity, and MacLean justifiably feared that someone might climb the ladder and come away with him.
Outcome: The considerations were giving Florida the right to flip first-rounders in 2003, which they elected not to do. Nash is the best draft pick in team history by a mile. I've also heard from someone that I trust that Bouwmeester never did get over the fact that he wasn't the first overall pick, which played a part in his refusal to re-sign with Florida down the road.

Date: June 22, 2002
Traded: 20th overall, 2002 draft (Daniel Paille)
Received: Mike Pandolfo; 30th overall, 2002 draft (Jim Slater)
Reason: I'm not going to act like I know exactly what it's like to be a GM. A GM deals with more issues than the public ever knows, and there's a lot more that goes into the job than simply signing contracts and making trades. But when a move like this is made, a GM deserves every ounce of criticism that he gets. It is possible to move up 10 picks in a draft by adding in a player, but this was an unsigned prospect who wasn't even a highly-touted one. This was a role player; this was a younger version of Tyler Wright at absolute best. For the sake of comparison, Buffalo picked up the 31st and 82nd picks in the draft for the 41st and SLAVA FREAKIN' KOZLOV. Slava Kozlov!
Outcome: Pandolfo ended up playing three games with Columbus. Three games. Pat yourself on the back for that one, Doug. But this madness isn't done yet.

Date: June 22, 2002
Traded: 30th overall, 2002 draft (Jim Slater)
Received: 41st overall, 2002 draft (Joakim Lindstrom); 96th overall, 2002 draft (Jeff Genovy)
Reason: I was watching the draft at a bar with a couple of friends from the world of hockey, both of whom do freelance scouting. One, being from Toledo, was never a Wings fan and didn't even have a favorite team until the Jackets came along. He's also a connoisseur of bourbon. So we're sitting there, and two of us are having a couple of beers and the other one is sipping on Maker's Mark. So we're watching this idiocy unfold, and it's announced that this deal went down as the culmination of MacLean's madness. My one friend's jaw drops, and he finishes his bourbon by gulping it down like a shot, then asks the barkeep for a full glass of the strongest stuff he's got. The barkeep pulls out this bottle and fills the glass with this stuff that smells like gasoline. My friend looks at the TV, looks at the glass, and chugs the whole thing in about three seconds flat. The barkeep stood there with his mouth hanging open; he looks at us and goes, "That stuff is 130 proof."
Outcome: Here's the final deal, as it all went down. Ron Tugnutt and the 32nd overall pick for Mike Pandolfo, the 41st pick, and the 96th pick. That's not a bad deal, that's a Mike Milbury deal. Actually, Mike Milbury was probably sitting there going, "What the hell is that guy doing?"

As for other outcomes, my one friend had a headache that he described as feeling like a swarm of woodpeckers on amphetamines. We also had to keep him away from open flames for about 48 hours.

Date: June 22, 2002
Traded: Mattias Timander
Received: 119th overall, 2002 draft (Jekabs Redlihs)
Reason: It was a targeted trade to get Redlihs. Redlihs, who could barely stick in the EJHL as a 20-year-old. Timander wasn't great, but he logged a ton of minutes (and was -34).
Outcome: Timander played two more years in the NHL before going back overseas. Redlihs, as expected, never saw the NHL except on TV.

Date: June 23, 2002
Traded: 140th overall, 2003 draft (David Tremblay)
Received: 184th overall, 2002 draft (Jaroslav Balastik); 225th overall, 2002 draft (Steven Goertzen)
Reason: MacLean wanted Balastik, Philly wanted a pick a round higher, so they threw in a late-rounder to even it out.
Outcome: Tremblay never did anything, Goertzen did close to nothing, and Balastik could do nothing except shootouts.

Date: June 23, 2002
Traded: 264th overall, 2003 draft (John Hecimovic)
Received: 263rd overall, 2002 draft (Sergei Mozyakin)
Reason: Another targeted pick that cost a future draft pick.
Outcome: Mozyakin never made the jump, and I've never heard of Hecimovic. I looked up his stats and found that, in the OHL, he scored exactly 30 goals three straight years. That's interesting....I guess.

This concludes the 2001-02 season's worth of transactions. Worse than a largely horrid draft performance (six overagers) was the fact that one good trade (Odelein for Spacek and a 2nd-rounder) were overshadowed by two of the most brutal in recent NHL history. A 2nd-rounder for Marshall was terrible, but turning the 32nd pick and the starting goalie into a middling prospect and two much lower picks is almost beyond comprehension.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
  #3
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
2002-03

Date: July 4, 2002
Signed: Scott Lachance and Luke Richardson
Reason: When a defense underperforms, there's no better idea than adding two chronic underachievers to see if they can rub off a bit more.
Outcome: From the previous year, Lyle Odelein, Mattias Timander, and Jamie Pushor were gone. Lachance and Richardson stepped in. The Jackets allowed more goals. Lachance was so bad that he was rumored to be bought out after the lockout, and he publicly said, "This team isn't good enough to buy me out, and they wouldn't be anywhere near as good without me." He was bought out, the team improved by 12 points in the standings, and Lachance never played another NHL game.

Date: July 17, 2002
Signed: Donald MacLean
Reason: Jamie Allison played the acoustic guitar, and Doug MacLean said, "I'll sign the guy who sang 'American Pie'! Surely his soulful folk renditions will distract the fans." Upon realizing that the hockey player spells his name differently (only after signing the contract though), Doug MacLean did some digging and figured that Donald MacLean's prior severe neck injury would make a perfect pairing with Grant Marshall.
Outcome: Four games, one goal.

Date: August 15, 2002
Signed: Andrew Cassels
Reason: In the never-ending search for a top-line center, a poor man's Craig Janney was simply too enticing to pass up.
Outcome: Had one pretty good year with Columbus (second-most points in a season during his lengthy career), then had a severe decline and retired in 2006.

Date: October 4, 2002
Claimed off waivers: Mathieu Biron
Traded: Mathieu Biron
Received: Petr Tenkrat
Reason: Biron was claimed in the waiver draft, and Doug MacLean was excited to have a former first-round pick in the fold. Biron had other ideas though, so he established eye contact with MacLean and hypnotized him until a trade could be arranged. (Seriously, if you've never seen Mathieu Biron, he has hypnotic eyes. It's weird.)
Outcome: Tenkrat had already signed overseas, and no amount of pleading would bring him back.

Date: October 5, 2002
Claimed off waivers: Hannes Hyvonen
Reason: I liked this guy a lot. He was a defensive forward who could lay out some thundering hits.
Outcome: Apparently he didn't score enough or take enough ill-advised penalties, so he was sent back overseas before the season ended.

Date: December 2, 2002
Traded: Petteri Nummelin, Chris Nielsen
Received: Tomi Kallio, Pauli Levokari
Reason: Kallio was a third-line scoring forward. Levokari was absolutely massive, which only counts in one industry (and it's not hockey). Nielsen was declining already, and Nummelin was back overseas after Doug MacLean decided to see exactly how long it would take to infuriate the defenseman.
Outcome: You'd think that getting less production than from a guy not on the roster and one in the AHL would not be possible. You would be wrong. Levokari never played an NHL game (shocker), and we hardly knew Kallio. He was on waivers after 12 games, then onto Philly, then Sweden.

Date: January 20, 2003
Signed: Darren Van Impe
Reason: Depth defenseman
Outcome: 14 NHL games, then vanished like a fart in a strong wind. Somewhere, Darren Van Impe is looking at this and swearing revenge against the guy who compared his Columbus career to flatulence after a night of Mexican food and cheap beer. Well, Darren, you're wrong. I'm comparing it more to a post-cabbage one.

Date: February 10, 2003
Traded: Pauli Levokari
Received: Brendan Buckley
Reason: Who knows, who cares
Outcome: One non-NHLer for another. Buckley played 30 AHL games before moving on to another AHL team.

Date: March 10, 2003
Traded: Grant Marshall
Received: Conditional pick (became 121st overall, 2004 draft [Kris Hogg])
Reason: A deadline deal for a spare part.
Outcome: Like an STD, this is the horrible gift that just keeps on giving. Let's recap. Grant Marshall was acquired for a second-round draft pick that became Loui Eriksson. He played 147 games for Columbus and scored 23 goals and 61 points while getting prime minutes. He was then traded to New Jersey, with the entire return conditional upon the Devils either making the Cup Final or actually winning it (I don't remember which). In a year and a half, a clear example was provided of how exactly you screw up a team's present and future.

Date: May 15, 2003
Signed: Joe Motzko
Reason: Depth up front
Outcome: Did little, later traded.

Date: June 2, 2003
Signed: Fred Brathwaite
Reason: A theory was developed that a team only needs a starting goalie, because every year there's a crop of backups that are available as UFAs that cost nothing to acquire and nothing to develop. I don't know how much merit there is, but it's an idea.
Outcome: Played largely horribly as the backup and moved on after one year.

Date: June 22, 2003
Traded: 264th overall, 2004 draft (Valtteri Tenkanen)
Received: 283rd overall, 2003 draft (Trevor Hendrikx)
Reason: Another targeted pick, and another future pick moved
Outcome: Neither made the NHL. Hendrikx actually never signed, and was re-drafted two years later...by Columbus...

Date: June 22, 2003
Traded: 121st overall, 2004 draft (Kris Hogg)
Received: 138th overall, 2003 draft (Arsi Piispanen); 200th overall, 2003 draft (Marc Methot)
Reason: Yet another targeted pick.
Outcome: All that remains of the second-rounder that was Loui Eriksson is Marc Methot. And that took a hell of a stroke of good fortune.

This concludes the third season's worth of transactions. Cassels was a good pickup, Lachance and Richardson were brutal.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
  #4
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
2003-04

Date: July 3, 2003
Signed: Todd Marchant
Reason: Third-line type with speed
Outcome: Had an enormous dropoff from the previous season in production, then was traded in the Fedorov deal.

Date: July 3, 2003
Signed: Trevor Letowski
Reason: Third-line type
Outcome: Two seasons in Columbus, then on to Carolina.

Date: July 15, 2003
Signed: Mark Hartigan
Reason: Fourth-line type
Outcome: Productive in the AHL, traded in the Motzo deal.

Date: July 23, 2003
Traded: Mike Sillinger; 34th overall, 2004 draft (Johan Fransson)
Received: Darryl Sydor
Reason: Apparently eager to cover the fact that Scott Lachance and Luke Richardson were not, in fact, first-pairing caliber defensemen, throwing another second-rounder to Dallas made perfect sense.
Outcome: This was closer to an even trade as far as value was concerned, but a second-pairing defenseman who had already peaked and prone to minor nagging injuries that limited his effectiveness wasn't a good idea. Perhaps there was some desired off-ice impact, which there was. More on that later.

Date: October 3, 2003
Claimed off waivers: Travis Green
Traded: Travis Green
Received: 190th overall, 2004 draft (Lennart Petrell)
Reason: Another waiver draft-and-trade deal
Outcome: Neither Green not Petrell ever played a game in Columbus.

Date: October 10, 2003
Signed: Anders Eriksson
Reason: Once a highly-regarded defenseman (the centerpiece of the deal that brought Chris Chelios to Detroit), Eriksson had fallen out of favor and looked to be on his way out of the NHL for good. Doug MacLean to the rescue!
Outcome: Played his best pro hockey with Columbus, came back for a second stint, blah blah blah.

Date: October 30, 2003
Traded: Sean Pronger
Received: Zenith Komarniski
Reason: Unknown. Possibly related to some type of foresight concerning the future ability to get Zenon Konopka, and wanted to be known as "the guy who had TWO players whose first name begins with Z!" And somewhere, Zarley Zalapski was smirking.
Outcome: Two NHL games, two years in Syracuse. Pronger, meanwhile, made a living by distracting opposing players so that his brother can steal pucks.

Date: November 21, 2003
Claimed off waivers: Manny Malhotra
Reason: He was available, and a third-liner who actually could play good defensively was a good get.
Outcome: Somehow over the years, people have gotten the idea that Malhotra's career was one big disappointment. In reality, it's been exactly what it was projected to be: 25-30 points and terrific defensive play. Anyway, this was a good pickup.

Date: December 10, 2003
Signed: Jamie Pushor
Reason: "We need a defenseman. One that we have a lot of familiarity with."
Outcome: This stint would last just 7 games in the NHL and 17 in the AHL. Don't worry though, he'd be back!

Date: January 23, 2004
Traded: Jamie Pushor
Received: 233rd overall, 2004 draft (Matt Greer)
Reason: Because 9th-rounders are really hard to come by.
Outcome: Pushor would eventually make his way back, Greer would never play in Columbus.

Date: January 27, 2004
Traded: Darryl Sydor; 102nd overall, 2004 draft (Mike Lundin)
Received: Alexander Svitov; 98th overall, 2004 draft (Dustin Boyd)
Reason: When Sydor was picked up, the hope was that his being a part of successful teams in Los Angeles and Dallas would rub off on the other players. Instead, what was termed "the country club culture" was too apparent. Sydor has never been known for fire-breathing intensity, but he more or less demanded a trade to get away from it. Svitov had fallen out of favor with first-class horse's ass John Tortorella and could be had.
Outcome: Sydor won a Stanley Cup, Mike Lundin has become a very good shutdown defender, the Dustin Boyd pick was traded, and Svitov never became the hulking power forward he was projected to be.

Date: March 9, 2004
Traded: Geoff Sanderson
Received: 93rd overall, 2004 draft (Dan LaCosta)
Reason: Trade deadline sell, and a guess that Sanderson would end up being back again.
Outcome: Sanderson came back, LaCosta started off nicely and then went into the tank as time progressed.

Date: March 9, 2004
Traded: Lasse Pirjeta
Received: Brian Holzinger
Reason: Apparently an appeal to those who closely follow college hockey, because actual NHL-caliber skill was not on display on either side of this deal.
Outcome: Like I said above...

Date: April 2004
Signed: Prestin Ryan, Greg Mauldin, Brandon Sugden
Reason: Filling out an AHL roster
Outcome: Filled out an AHL roster

Date: June 16, 2004
Traded: Future considerations
Received: Arturs Irbe
Reason: A new one-year backup was needed with Fred Brathwaite having been a disaster.
Outcome: The lockout happened and he never played in Columbus.

Date: June 26, 2004
Traded: 4th overall, 2004 draft (Andrew Ladd)
Received: 8th overall, 2004 draft (Alexandre Picard); 59th overall, 2004 draft (Kyle Wharton)
Reason: It's becoming apparent that Doug MacLean had absolutely no idea what the value of a draft pick truly is. It's the only logical explanation for some of his more bizarre moves. To go from 8th to 4th, thus having a shot at the #1 overall ranked North American skater, requires a hell of a lot more than the 59th overall pick.
Outcome: Ladd produced, Picard and Wharton did not.

Date: June 26, 2004
Traded: 70th overall, 2004 draft (Brandon Prust); 98th overall, 2004 draft (Dustin Boyd)
Received: 46th overall, 2004 draft (Adam Pineault)
Reason: Another targeted pick.
Outcome: Another that didn't pan out at all.

Date: June 27, 2004
Traded: 226th overall, 2005 draft (John Seymour)
Received: 271st overall, 2004 draft (Grant Clitsome)
Reason: Holy hell, a targeted pick that actually worked!
Outcome: Clitsome was left in the pipeline to develop and has proven to be an NHL-level defenseman.

Date: June 28, 2004
Claimed off waivers: Geoff Sanderson
Reason: Because he was there for nothing.
Outcome: Only got a couple more games in with Columbus before being traded.

And that brings season number four to a close. There some good, some bad, and some in between as far as moves are concerned.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:18 PM
  #5
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
2004-05

Date: July 6, 2004
Traded: 119th overall, 2005 draft (Jeremy Duchesne)
Received: Radoslav Suchy; 177th overall, 2005 draft (Derek Reinhart)
Reason: Always looking to retool the blueline
Outcome: Suchy was horrible during his one year in Columbus, and the most notable thing that Derek Reinhart ever did was knock Rick Nash out for two months as a result of training camp stupidity.

Date: July through September, 2004
Signed: Andre Lakos, Mattias Trattnig
Claimed off waivers: Jeff Panzer
Reason: AHL depth
Outcome: All three played poorly in their one year in Syracuse and went to Europe after it ended.

Date: September 14, 2004
Claimed off waivers: Francois Beauchemin
Reason: Another decent prospect passing through waivers that was too good to pass up.
Outcome: Didn't do much in Columbus, was sent to Anaheim in the Fedorov deal, and was an important piece of the Ducks' Stanley Cup. Promptly received an enormous contract and is regarded as one of the most overpaid players in the league.

That's all for 2004-05, for obvious reasons.

2005-06

Date: July 30, 2005
Traded: 99th overall, 2006 draft (James Reimer); Derrick Walser
Received: 101st overall, 2005 draft (Jared Boll)
Reason: Another targeted pick.
Outcome: Boll has been one of the biggest surprises in recent history, making the NHL right out of juniors. Usually it's the stars who never spend a day in the minors, but Boll is certainly the exception.

Date: August 2, 2005
Signed: Adam Foote
Reason: Yet another attempt to retool the blueline, this time by adding a 34-year-old immobile defenseman who was rapidly declining. Oh yeah, and it was a massive contract.
Outcome: Outcome? Really? After one year, Foote told a crowd in Denver how much he wished that he'd never left, then put his house on the market....then we all know the rest.

Date: August 3, 2005
Signed: Bryan Berard
Reason: More blueline retooling, this time with a legitimate offensive threat.
Outcome: Put up some good numbers, then suffered a back injury that was misdiagnosed and wiped out 38 and then 71 games. Went to the Islanders, then Russia. Still far and away the best offensive defenseman that the Jackets have ever had.

Date: August 4, 2005
Signed: Martin Prusek
Reason: The latest backup-for-a-year.
Outcome: Had nine largely forgettable games in Columbus, then off to Russia.

Date: August 10, 2005
Signed: Jan Hrdina
Reason: A scoring center? Sign me up!
Outcome: Hrdina showed up out of shape and, as a result, produced less than any other season in the NHL while taking more penalties (most of them horribly lazy ones). Went to Finland after the year was up.

Date: August through October, 2005
Signed: Ben Simon, Mark Flood, Peter Sarno
Claimed off waivers: Andy Delmore
Reason: Mostly for AHL purposes. Delmore was an attempt to get production from the ultimate boom or bust player; he might get 50 points from the blueline, and he's also one of two players in the last 20 years who might also allow that many (Phil Housley being the other).
Outcome: None became anything, none did anything.

Date: October 8, 2005
Traded: Geoff Sanderson, Tim Jackman
Received: Jason Chimera, Mike Rupp, Cale Hulse
Reason: There was none. There, I said it. Yes, Sanderson was beginning to slow down. Yes, Jackman hadn't arrived yet. Cale Hulse was clearly washed up and was just one year younger than Sanderson, Mike Rupp had proven that the AHL was way over his head, and Jason Chimera had shown no signs of being anything more than a slightly older Rico Fata. This was the ultimate case of quality for quantity; Columbus gave up the two best players in the deal and got three spare parts who couldn't be moved for anything of value.
Outcome: Sanderson, although clearly declining, put up seasons of 46 and 29 points (the latter in just 58 games, projecting to 41 over a season). Chimera's career high is 36, and he's unlikely to ever beat that mark. Hulse was unhappy and later traded. Just a terrible deal in every way.

Date: November 15, 2005
Traded: Francois Beauchemin, Tyler Wright
Received: Sergei Fedorov; 142nd overall, 2006 draft (Maxime Frechette)
Reason: No one knows for sure. Fedorov was obviously declining but still worthwhile, but the way that Doug MacLean made it sound ("On-ice coaching! Screw hiring another assistant, I pay this guy $6 million a year to act like one!") was that he was still a Hart candidate. Beauchemin would nearly equal Fedorov's offensive output, and he's a defenseman.
Outcome: This move also led to Todd Marchant being put on waivers and claimed by Anaheim. Fedorov would eventually be traded to Washington, but not before taking in something like $14 million in salary that was way out of proportion to his production. The draft pick, used on Maxime Frechette, was one of the biggest wastes in team history.

Date: November 25, 2005
Signed: Geoff Platt
Reason: Depth.
Outcome: Largely forgettable, but eventually became two minor pieces when Scott Howson arrived.

Date: November 29, 2005
Claimed off waivers: Ron Hainsey
Reason: Same reason as Beauchemin the year prior: a once-prized prospect squeezed out and claimed on his way to the AHL.
Outcome: Decent on the power play, and parlayed that into a huge free agent contract. On the block in Atlanta, as his production has plummeted.

Date: December 30, 2005
Signed: Darcy Verot
Reason: Everyone needs a journeyman enforcer.
Outcome: Never played in Columbus; went to Russia and had a season of over 500 penalty minutes in 43 games.

Date: February 28, 2006
Traded: Cale Hulse
Received: Cam Severson
Reason: Hulse was unhappy not being in the lineup more consistently, which is usually what happens when you're quite clearly past your prime and not producing even when you're on the ice.
Outcome: Severson played four games in the NHL and 12 in the AHL, thus making the Sanderson deal even worse.

Date: March 8, 2006
Traded: Luke Richardson
Received: Conditional pick (136th overall, 2006 draft [Nick Sucharski])
Reason: Richardson was expendable, and someone actually wanted him and was willing to give up something for him.
Outcome: Richardson went through a succession of teams, adding nothing to any of them, before retiring. Sucharski has done nothing at the NHL level.

Date: June 24, 2006
Traded: 36th overall, 2006 draft (Jamie McGinn)
Received: 85th overall, 2006 draft (Tom Sestito); 113th overall, 2006 draft (Ben Wright); 53rd overall, 2007 draft (Will Weber)
Reason: For once, someone else was targeting a player and was willing to pay for it. For a high second-rounder, San Jose was willing to give up a third-rounder, a fourth-rounder, and the next year's second-rounder. Safe to say that Doug MacLean did not offer this deal, since he'd probably have come out of it with the 99th overall pick, the 324th in the KHL draft, and a Ugandan witch doctor.
Outcome: McGinn has struggled in the NHL so far. Sestito and Weber are still prospects, Wright is not.

Date: June 24, 2006
Traded: 188th overall, 2007 draft (Matt Fillier)
Received: 194th overall, 2006 draft (Matt Marquardt)
Reason: Another targeted pick.
Outcome: Marquardt would never sign and was traded for Jonathan Sigalet before he could re-enter the draft.

Date: June 30, 2006
Traded: Marc Denis
Received: Fredrik Norrena, Fredrik Modin
Reason: It was believed that, with Pascal Leclaire able to handle a full load (ha!) and the backup de anne system, Denis could be used as bait to add to the forwards.
Outcome: Modin had a good first year, then began to get injured. He would eventually be traded for nothing. Norrena was the real shocker. At age 33, he finally decided to give the NHL a shot and immediately became the first CBJ goalie to post a winning record. He lasted one more season and part of another before going back overseas.

2005-06 is now at a close. The Jackets are no closer to the playoffs than in year one, and despite all of the various moves, no pattern has emerged as far as why moves are made. The seemingly random nature of the transactions is what is the most maddening. On one hand, clear dead weight. On the other hand, continue to add to it.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:18 PM
  #6
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
2006-07

Date: July through August 2006
Signed: Anders Eriksson, Ty Conklin, Tomas Kloucek, Janne Hauhtonen, Jamie Pushor, Filip Novak, Eric Boguniecki
Reason: Throwing darts and hoping for the best. Conklin was the latest winner of the "backup for a year" contest.
Outcome: None did anything. Move along, nothing to see.

Date: September 13, 2006
Signed: Anson Carter
Reason: When someone scores 33 goals and becomes a UFA and doesn't receive offers, it's usually a sign that something is up. In reality, this was more or less a message being sent to Nikolai Zherdev, who was holding out.
Outcome: Traded to Carolina after less than a year, where he would become known as LOL Anson Carter.

Date: October 25, 2006
Traded: Eric Boguniecki
Received: Ryan Caldwell
Reason: No clue
Outcome: I'd never heard of Ryan Caldwell before this deal, and I actually had to look him up again to complete this capsule.

Date: November 29, 2006
Traded: Mark Flood
Received: Derrick Walser
Reason: The same as every other time Walser was around. He can rocket the puck and nothing else.
Outcome: Nine more games for Walser, then to the AHL and back overseas.

Date: January 26, 2007
Traded: Joe Motzko; Mark Hartigan; 98th overall, 2007 draft (Sebastian Stefaniszin)
Received: Curtis Glencross; Zenon Konopka; 211th overall, 2007 draft (Trent Vogelhuber)
Reason: Depth and toughness.
Outcome: Glencross, given time and a roster spot, emerged as a third-liner. Konopka would fight his own mother if she looked at him wrong. And the draft pick became the first player from central Ohio to be drafted. Konopka eventually moved on for no return, and Glencross was traded for almost no return.

Date: February 23, 2007
Traded: LOL Anson Carter
Received: 135th overall, 2008 draft (Tomas Kubalik)
Reason: He was expendable and sucking, and Carolina wanted him, but not that badly. There were rumors that Carter would be forced to take all unsold copies of the CBJ Christmas album with him.
Outcome: Carter did nothing in Carolina except acquire a new nickname, and Kubalik is a good prospect. It's already a win.

Date: February 27, 2007
Traded: Ty Conklin
Received: 149th overall, 2007 draft (Michael Neal)
Reason: Because there's always a move on the line, and that juicy fifth-rounder was too enticing.
Outcome: The draft pick became one of three moved to get Maxim Mayorov.

Date: February 27, 2007
Claimed off waivers: Brian Boucher
Reason: To replace Conklin, who was replacing the injured Leclaire.
Outcome: Three games in Columbus, then on to San Jose.

And this brings the Doug MacLean era to a close. It's interesting to note that the final year, which should have featured the most frenzied activity, instead had the least. MacLean had basically been stripped of power in November of 2006, which is why active roster players, good prospects, or draft picks weren't being shipped out.

And so, this brings me to my final thoughts. Doug MacLean had, by my count, 150 transactions in seven calendar years, not including the expansion draft. His successor has 62 in less than four years. However, MacLean had to fill out an entire roster for the NHL and AHL, in addition to being able to participate in the now-defunct waiver draft. Across the span of Jackets' history, the bigger and more prominent deals were done by MacLean, but Scott Howson has a higher rate of return. Each pulled off a heist or two in the trade market, but the most boneheaded moves were far and away done by MacLean. The most baffling moves were also done by MacLean. In addition, the drafting of the Howson regime has been substantially better even at this early point; there are no Maxime Frechette-type picks.

But perhaps the most bizarre part of the MacLean era is that there didn't seem to be a plan in place that would be stuck to. There were deals that were made that looked like buying for a playoff run, and there were deals made that looked like selling to continue the building process. But beyond that was all the public declarations of things that were quite clearly not true, which served to undermine his credibility.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
  #7
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Palinka- You are the man. Awesome work on these threads. Some of the quips in the remarks were great. I jumped on board as a CBJ fan late in 05-06, so I didn't know about some of the deals he'd made before.

Doug MacLean- After reading this and Palinka's other thread, I'd like to describe what I think of you...in smilies:







(The suicide emoticon from SAS, that we don't have here).

It's late & I'll probably edit this post after reading it again, but it looks as though the only deals that have panned out and were done by Doug were:
-Nash
-Carter for the pick that became Kubalik
-Deal that got the pick for Boll

...and why did he trade down in two drafts? Seriously? 2002 "I've got what I wanted, let's call it a draft"? And trading down in '04 (which the end result of the pick he DID make was bad enough)...

Oh, by the way, let's not re-sign Ray Whitney...he wasn't from PEI, so let's not re-up one of our leading scorers...

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:02 AM
  #8
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Fantastic job, Palinka! You've provided an invaluable resource for us and it's very much appreciated.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
  #9
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,043
vCash: 500
For an expansion club, Grant Marshall for ANY pick in the 03 draft is ridiculous, let alone the fact that it was Loui Eriksson. MacLean clearly never had a plan, just fired shots in the dark and hoped they worked out.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:27 AM
  #10
jacketracket*
 
jacketracket*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ... double cream."
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,515
vCash: 500
As a CBJ fan, I found it interesting to reconcile my thoughts at the time many of these moves were made with how they actually turned out down the road. More than a little frustrating, too. Just curious, Palinka - in reading alot of your posts over the years, I've gathered that you have some inside connection to the CBJ. Could/would you mind giving some background?

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
  #11
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 14,991
vCash: 500
does "YIKES" cover it?

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
  #12
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
With that track record it's a mystery why he hasn't returned to the NHL yet

Still remember Nedorost beating Erskine wide, then cutting to the inside and processing to break Turco in half with dekes and stuffing it into the net.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:21 PM
  #13
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner
 
The Four Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
With that track record it's a mystery why he hasn't returned to the NHL yet
But he drafted Rick Nash and Steve Mason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina
Still remember Nedorost beating Erskine wide, then cutting to the inside and processing to break Turco in half with dekes and stuffing it into the net.
Me too. Saw it unfold from 202. Still the best sequence I've seen in person.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:53 PM
  #14
cbj21
Registered User
 
cbj21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shampoo land
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Great job !!
I thought Steve Heinze didn't wan't to sign with us after the first season?

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  #15
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I think you're undervaluing the Christmas Album Anson Carter produced, Palinka. That's worth more than at least 50 percent of the on-ice contributions of the players listed in the transactions above.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:38 PM
  #16
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I think you're undervaluing the Christmas Album Anson Carter produced, Palinka. That's worth more than at least 50 percent of the on-ice contributions of the players listed in the transactions above.
Speaking of A Carter, he had his role down to a tee. Skate across center ice chip the puck deep and loaf over to the bench for a change.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
  #17
eljefe72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
does "YIKES" cover it?
I prefer "ZOINKS".

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
  #18
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
2006-07

Date: July through August 2006
Signed: Anders Eriksson, Ty Conklin, Tomas Kloucek, Janne Hauhtonen, Jamie Pushor, Filip Novak, Eric Boguniecki
Reason: Throwing darts and hoping for the best. Conklin was the latest winner of the "backup for a year" contest.
Outcome: None did anything. Move along, nothing to see.

Date: September 13, 2006
Signed: Anson Carter
Reason: When someone scores 33 goals and becomes a UFA and doesn't receive offers, it's usually a sign that something is up. In reality, this was more or less a message being sent to Nikolai Zherdev, who was holding out.
Outcome: Traded to Carolina after less than a year, where he would become known as LOL Anson Carter.

Date: October 25, 2006
Traded: Eric Boguniecki
Received: Ryan Caldwell
Reason: No clue
Outcome: I'd never heard of Ryan Caldwell before this deal, and I actually had to look him up again to complete this capsule.

Date: November 29, 2006
Traded: Mark Flood
Received: Derrick Walser
Reason: The same as every other time Walser was around. He can rocket the puck and nothing else.
Outcome: Nine more games for Walser, then to the AHL and back overseas.

Date: January 26, 2007
Traded: Joe Motzko; Mark Hartigan; 98th overall, 2007 draft (Sebastian Stefaniszin)
Received: Curtis Glencross; Zenon Konopka; 211th overall, 2007 draft (Trent Vogelhuber)
Reason: Depth and toughness.
Outcome: Glencross, given time and a roster spot, emerged as a third-liner. Konopka would fight his own mother if she looked at him wrong. And the draft pick became the first player from central Ohio to be drafted. Konopka eventually moved on for no return, and Glencross was traded for almost no return.

Date: February 23, 2007
Traded: LOL Anson Carter
Received: 135th overall, 2008 draft (Tomas Kubalik)
Reason: He was expendable and sucking, and Carolina wanted him, but not that badly. There were rumors that Carter would be forced to take all unsold copies of the CBJ Christmas album with him.
Outcome: Carter did nothing in Carolina except acquire a new nickname, and Kubalik is a good prospect. It's already a win.

Date: February 27, 2007
Traded: Ty Conklin
Received: 149th overall, 2007 draft (Michael Neal)
Reason: Because there's always a move on the line, and that juicy fifth-rounder was too enticing.
Outcome: The draft pick became one of three moved to get Maxim Mayorov.

Date: February 27, 2007
Claimed off waivers: Brian Boucher
Reason: To replace Conklin, who was replacing the injured Leclaire.
Outcome: Three games in Columbus, then on to San Jose.

And this brings the Doug MacLean era to a close. It's interesting to note that the final year, which should have featured the most frenzied activity, instead had the least. MacLean had basically been stripped of power in November of 2006, which is why active roster players, good prospects, or draft picks weren't being shipped out.

And so, this brings me to my final thoughts. Doug MacLean had, by my count, 150 transactions in seven calendar years, not including the expansion draft. His successor has 62 in less than four years. However, MacLean had to fill out an entire roster for the NHL and AHL, in addition to being able to participate in the now-defunct waiver draft. Across the span of Jackets' history, the bigger and more prominent deals were done by MacLean, but Scott Howson has a higher rate of return. Each pulled off a heist or two in the trade market, but the most boneheaded moves were far and away done by MacLean. The most baffling moves were also done by MacLean. In addition, the drafting of the Howson regime has been substantially better even at this early point; there are no Maxime Frechette-type picks.

But perhaps the most bizarre part of the MacLean era is that there didn't seem to be a plan in place that would be stuck to. There were deals that were made that looked like buying for a playoff run, and there were deals made that looked like selling to continue the building process. But beyond that was all the public declarations of things that were quite clearly not true, which served to undermine his credibility.
interesting stuff - was wondering - who was GM when the bruins got adam mcquaid? was maclean still around? i believe the deal went down in may of 07.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
  #19
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Speaking of A Carter, he had his role down to a tee. Skate across center ice chip the puck deep and loaf over to the bench for a change.
I went to a game in Carter's one season with a friend of mine who is of African descent, and our tickets were in section 111. He kept a close eye on Carter, but we weren't talking much during the game. In the second period, after an extremely slow line change on Carter's part, he tapped my leg and goes, "Man, it's no wonder people think we're all lazy."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:51 AM
  #20
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,514
vCash: 500
What I find interesting is that Dougie might have had a closer vision of the reality of the true value of a second round pick. Probably accidental.

The thought of "crippling" a team with the trading of a second round doesn't ring true for me.

In a normal draft year, 5 of the 30 might contribute at some point in the NHL. Of those, two might be an impact player. For every Stasny, there are 27 other guys that might play 80 games at the NHL level if they are lucky.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a bad move(s) or that we should be free with moving the picks. But I am saying is that if you end up with a contributing roster player for a second round pick, even if he's bottom six, far more times then not you are actually way ahead of the game.

In the end Dougie and crew probably would have screwed up that pick anyway.

Dougie certainly had a lot of issues. He obviously was flying by the seat of his pants and in his early career he didn't seem to have good information on players, NHL or prospect. Later in his tenure, the drafting started to get better and appears to have continued to improve to this day under Howson. Let's not forget that most of the players on our roster that are contributing from our system are Dougie picks. Accidental or otherwise. Also not surprising since Howson has only been here four years. Dougie's bad outweighs Dougie's good by a large margain. Dougie left with our farm system fairly bare, and Howson has improved that. Howson has also improved our NHL roster. However, our roster has also regressed the last two years.

There hasn't been enough time for Howson's draft picks to be completely evaluated. But the Filatov pick might haunt him for a while. I wanted Colin Wilson and he's now starting to contribute to Nashville, which makes it even more annoying. Having said that we have to wait and see because 2008 and 2009 drafts could actually net 2-4 roster players from each draft.

Thanks for the contributions Palinka. They were an interesting trip down memory lane. Dougie never really got any better with handling the NHL roster. Then again, Howson hasn't been an all-star either.

I don't agree with all your analysis. But it's pretty fair to the parties involved.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
  #21
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
One of XGMDM's best moves was the ordering of several thousand Ray Whitney beer cups, only to fail to re-sign him in the off season. Nothing says Mickey Mouse operation like having a Red Wing player on your beer cup.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
  #22
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,562
vCash: 500
Thanks for doing this. It was a lot of work.

You've done a wonderful job reminding us of the odd moves and lack of a plan that was Doug MacLean. Looking at it as a whole is much worse than how it looked at the time piecemeal fashion.


It's a shame he couldn't have been in charge of marketing, market development and sales, while someone more suited for the role handled hockey operations.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  #23
cbjpointman
It begins here
 
cbjpointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Palinka,

Thanks for the great work! You do a great job analyzing things. We moved here in 2003 from NC, and I didnt start following the Jackets full time until 05-06. This does a great job filling in the early blanks. I've picked up a bunch on these boards since, but this puts nice structure to it!

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
  #24
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
interesting stuff - was wondering - who was GM when the bruins got adam mcquaid? was maclean still around? i believe the deal went down in may of 07.

Chris MacFarland (CBJ Assistant GM) may have been the final authority on that move... MacLean was fired in April and Howson wasn't hired until about 2 weeks before the draft, so it would have been early june.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
  #25
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Been around the Jacket water cooler since '97 and knew all this information at one time, that said 80% of it was forgotten until now; super job including the commentary Palinka.

Print and save for future reference quality stuff...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.