HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2010-2011 Prospect Talk Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
2 goals for KK tonight in Lewiston's 4-1 win.

I wanna believe
Nice. He's starting produce the way he needs to if he wants to have a shot at the NHL. He's tied for third on his team in points, a major improvement over his regular season performance, and he's doing it when it matters.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:17 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
periferal,

Just admit you don't know anything about Kabanov and are stereotyping him.

No more than bluechip knows about Petrov.

Seriously...Of course I hope the kid makes it, but he has more to prove than any other prospect we have. And while the rest of our prospects are busting their ass to make it, I refuse to accept his *potential* as an accurate assessment of where he is in his development or an apology for something as simple as being late to a meeting.

If he's truly turned a corner with his "clean" resume this season, great. Now let's stop talking about him dancing all over the ice and let's see him get his point totals up to actual legit prospect levels.

Just cause someone has the best fishing rod doesn't mean they'll be eating later.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
redbull
Expect more

Nino 3 more assists tonight in a 4-2 win. 17pts in just 8 games, continues to roll!

Cizikas another goal and assist in Mississauga's OT win.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:42 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Nino's 2nd goal in game 3 was a beaut. Dangled, cut to the middle, and fired his signature wrister. His release is elite.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:50 PM
IslesFanatic707

vCash: 50
Quote:

I wanna believe
Yes. Yes. Yes.

11 points in 9 games.

More than I expected.

First star of the game tonight as well

Old
04-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Nino's 2nd goal in game 3 was a beaut. Dangled, cut to the middle, and fired his signature wrister. His release is elite.
I agree, on his first one, he released even fast. I watched in slow motion over and over again and I could still barely follow the release of the shot. Insanely quick!

Old
04-14-2011, 01:48 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

Seriously...Of course I hope the kid makes it, but he has more to prove than any other prospect we have. And while the rest of our prospects are busting their ass to make it, I refuse to accept his *potential* as an accurate assessment of where he is in his development or an apology for something as simple as being late to a meeting.

If he's truly turned a corner with his "clean" resume this season, great. Now let's stop talking about him dancing all over the ice and let's see him get his point totals up to actual legit prospect levels.

Just cause someone has the best fishing rod doesn't mean they'll be eating later.

Nobody wants KK to fail, but he shouldn't be given anything he hasn't earned. He's been granted way too much of that.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
I agree, on his first one, he released even fast. I watched in slow motion over and over again and I could still barely follow the release of the shot. Insanely quick!
I've been a goalie all my life and straight up, if your release is sick, you could shoot muffins all night and still fool us. Release is so, so key - way more than shot speed.

Old
04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:

I wanna believe
Yeah, that sums it up for me too. I'm hopeful, but I'm not going to invest in KK yet. I've got Nino penciled in on the wing for the next 15 years, so I'm fully invested in him. And I'm assuming Cizikas, Poulin/Nilsson, Lee, de Haan and some others will make it. Heck, I'm more than hopeful about Petrov. But while I'm happy to see KK producing when it counts, I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment quite yet. IMO, that's not negative, it's realistic based on history.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Wasn't at the game but saw the local highlights for Kabanov from last night. His best move was one where I think he hit the post. Deked a defender out of his jock, beautiful stickhandling, beat the goalie, but not the post.

They showed an interview of him after the highlights and he gave all the credit to his teammates. Seems like a pretty good kid...even if he does have a strange neck tattoo. (Is that permanent?)

Old
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

I guess this would have been easier:

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/sports/...vid_1984.shtml

Old
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
Wasn't at the game but saw the local highlights for Kabanov from last night. His best move was one where I think he hit the post. Deked a defender out of his jock, beautiful stickhandling, beat the goalie, but not the post.

They showed an interview of him after the highlights and he gave all the credit to his teammates. Seems like a pretty good kid...even if he does have a strange neck tattoo. (Is that permanent?)
Quote:

WOW FILTHY.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I've been a goalie all my life and straight up, if your release is sick, you could shoot muffins all night and still fool us. Release is so, so key - way more than shot speed.
Tough to do.
Besides Mike Bossy (best ever) and Brett Hull, that "quick release" is so extremely rare in hockey. I think it's a really rare skill, an art form, to be able to release the puck quickly and accurately, catching goalies off guard.

Mike Bossy was absolutely incredible at it. Not just one-timing passes from Trottier (although they were magic that way) but rebounds or loose pucks around the net - seems like they were goals that were in the net before anyone realized what was happening. Until the replay showed how.

Jari Kurri, Teemu Selanne, Luc Robitaille (surely a few others I've missed) had elements of that skill. Stamkos has a little bit of that as well. Tavares has the ability to find loose pucks around the net and score goals.

It takes hockey sense, skill PLUS the desire (or "balls") to get into scoring position and battle through punishment to get that chance. That's really rare.

People have described Niederreiter's quick hands and hard accurate shot. He's certainly putting up numbers among his peers, in important games to boot. With his size, desire and work ethic, he has all the tools to be a special player in the NHL, sooner than later!

Old
04-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Talk about highlights, that reporter Evans Boston has the most amazing eyebrows ever. It is like somebody designed them with the Nintendo Create-your-own-Wii character program.

FWIW he did something similar to Brandon Gormley at center ice vs. Moncton in round 1, except he was skating east-west instead of north-south, so he had to pick his speed back up to go up-ice into the offensive zone.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Regarding release, I don't understand the Ovechkin comparisons. What sets Ovi apart more than anything else is perfect shooting motion and weight transfer on his one timers - I've simply never seen anything like it. He does it exactly how you are supposed to practice it, but does it in game at full speed.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

What a sick move that was by KK... wow!!

Imagine KK pans out AND we take another forward in this draft to go along with Nino.. and Petrov, and to a lesser degree Anders Lee, Brock Nelson and Casey Cizakas..

WOW... STACKED!!

Old
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

Actually, I've seen Petrov play in person, laddie.

As for Kabanov, he made you look even smarter with his two goal effort last night.

You should start your hockey learnin' at the local rink. Maybe some power skating lessons to bring you...up to speed.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Actually, I've seen Petrov play in person, laddie.

As for Kabanov, he made you look even smarter with his two goal effort last night.

You should start your hockey learnin' at the local rink. Maybe some power skating lessons to bring you...up to speed.

Blue Chip, do you live in Siberia???

Seriously though, I have been wondering, are you of Russian ancestry?? You seem to follow the Russian prospects with a passion...

Old
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
One for the thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
As a lifelong goalie I'll second this. I've played against players with hard shots and after you learn their motions, you can telegraph where the puck is going before it even leaves the stick.

With a quick release, the goalie is forced to be reactive, often a split second too late, rather than proactive.

Old
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Blue Chip, do you live in Siberia???

Seriously though, I have been wondering, are you of Russian ancestry?? You seem to follow the Russian prospects with a passion...
I saw him play in the World Junior Tourney in Ottawa, against Ullstrom's Swedes...and the size and skill they brought had me convinced that these were legit prospects. Even though Petrov was hurt at the WJC, he just oozed potential.

Seeing his Subway Super Series performance just solidified my position, and it was about this time I started posting more and more frequently on what a gem we have on our hands. It's easy for others to criticize a player they haven't seen, or to take the old "fence-sitting" position on a player that hasn't reached the NHL yet. It's a prospect board, after all.

And I know I tend to come across as a tad hyperbolic when waxing on about Petrov, Ullstrom, and now Kabanov. But the fact is I've been excited about the first two players for a couple of years now, and they keep getting closer to the show...where hopefully other Islanders fans will see what I see and have seen. Kabanov is a 6'3 18 year-old that has elite skill potential. Anyone who has followed his career to date, can check that highlight in the link above from last night's game. This isn't a lumbering Oleg Kvasha- this is a player with speed in his feet and his hands- the kind that can beat a defender one-on-one.

There is every reason to believe in the prospect pool we currently have. It's almost an embarrassment of riches with players like Nino, de Haan, Petrov, Ullstrom, and now Kabanov added to what we already have on the island. It's going to be a fun ride these next few years watching these kids grow and develop. I think it's the deepest we've been since the dynasty years easily.

note: Actually I do have Russian ancestry. My Irish aunt went to Dublin a few years back, and found out some interesting information about our roots, which she revealed at a family reunion a few years back. That is, our Irish ancestors were actually descended from Russian jews. She hasn't been using her Irish lilt quite so much anymore.

Last edited by bluechipbonzo: 04-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old
04-14-2011, 12:20 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Talk about highlights, that reporter Evans Boston has the most amazing eyebrows ever. It is like somebody designed them with the Nintendo Create-your-own-Wii character program.
Wow, that's really mean. You should be ashamed of yourself. You wouldn't see me making comments like that. I mean, just because he resembles Mr. Potato Head and that's why he's working in Lewiston instead of a bigger market.... May I add that he needs to find a good wax-ologist or the closest he'll ever get to Boston is his own last name.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:56 PM
IslesFanatic707

vCash: 50
Quote:

kids a stud

i see him having a great season next year

Old
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Some nice moves by KK, but what is up with that neck tat?

I just hope he continues to build off this strong playoff performance and carries it into next year.

Old
04-14-2011, 03:27 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Some nice moves by KK, but what is up with that neck tat?
I think it's a Sharpie.

Odd to have a #17 tattoo but a #71 jersey number.

If all goes well, he'll have to wrestle that #17 off Matt Martin (I don't like his chances). KK would even have trouble getting #71 off Katic!

Kids and their dumbass tats....stupid stupid.

(If he scores 40 goals in the NHL, for the Islanders, and they win the cup, I still won't retract my statement. Stupid Stupid!)

Old
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think it's a Sharpie.

Odd to have a #17 tattoo but a #71 jersey number.

If all goes well, he'll have to wrestle that #17 off Matt Martin (I don't like his chances). KK would even have trouble getting #71 off Katic!

Kids and their dumbass tats....stupid stupid.

(If he scores 40 goals in the NHL, for the Islanders, and they win the cup, I still won't retract my statement. Stupid Stupid!)
His idol is Valeri Kharlamov so #17 is very important to him. If I'm not mistaken, he has a huge #17 in roman numerals on his arm. He's probably wearing #71 because someone on Lewiston already has his coveted number.

He's a kid and he likes to get inked to express himself. It's not my cup of tee, but to each his own.

Closed Thread