HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Who will be first to go?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
  #51
16Skippy
Registered User
 
16Skippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Yeah, his 21 points, seven beautiful goals, coupled with his lightning speed and discipline in the offensive zone would allow him to walk onto any playoff team's second line.
7 goals and 21 points in only 38 games. He's not far off from Scott Gomez who has 7 goals and 28 points in 52 games, or Marcel Goc with 23 points in 48 games. They're both top 6 guys on their teams as far as I know.

16Skippy is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
  #52
asleepinthechapel
Registered User
 
asleepinthechapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N Plm Bch/Atlanta
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
7 goals and 21 points in only 38 games. He's not far off from Scott Gomez who has 7 goals and 28 points in 52 games, or Marcel Goc with 23 points in 48 games. They're both top 6 guys on their teams as far as I know.
Stillman's recent production doesn't come close to what Gomez put up in NJ. Just look at their respective ages. Why even make that comparison? This is one of the first times Marcel Goc is playing as a top six forward in his career.
Thanks for those tidbits though.

asleepinthechapel is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
  #53
asleepinthechapel
Registered User
 
asleepinthechapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N Plm Bch/Atlanta
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
To be fair (and I want Stillman gone), Stillman would have more than 21 points on most teams.

He's still very smart passing the puck; it's not his fault that he's a playmaker passing the puck on a team with no real goal scorers.
We will see what line he plays on if he is traded.
The fact that the norm for him is a 3rd liner on the Panthers should be telling.

asleepinthechapel is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
  #54
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
We will see what line he plays on if he is traded.
The fact that the norm for him is a 3rd liner on the Panthers should be telling.
I'm not saying he's a top 6 player on a playoff team, at this point; I'm just saying he'd put up better #'s on a team that actually has goal-scorers on it.

Erick is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
  #55
asleepinthechapel
Registered User
 
asleepinthechapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N Plm Bch/Atlanta
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I'm not saying he's a top 6 player on a playoff team, at this point; I'm just saying he'd put up better #'s on a team that actually has goal-scorers on it.
I agree with this.

asleepinthechapel is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
  #56
16Skippy
Registered User
 
16Skippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Stillman's recent production doesn't come close to what Gomez put up in NJ. Just look at their respective ages. Why even make that comparison? This is one of the first times Marcel Goc is playing as a top six forward in his career.
Thanks for those tidbits though.
I don't get what Gomez's production in NJ has to do with this. I made that comparison to show that Stillman is producing as much as some top 6 players on offensively challenged playoff teams, so I would not be too surprised if he got 2nd line minutes on those teams.

16Skippy is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
  #57
asleepinthechapel
Registered User
 
asleepinthechapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N Plm Bch/Atlanta
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I don't get what Gomez's production in NJ has to do with this. I made that comparison to show that Stillman is producing as much as some top 6 players on offensively challenged playoff teams, so I would not be too surprised if he got 2nd line minutes on those teams.
Gomez's point production in NJ illustrates that he is a very offensively capable forward. Stillman has gone through a steady decline, due in large part to his age. The possibility exists that Gomez can return to his form as a number 1 center-man. To think Stillman could do the same is preposterous.
Forgot to mention that Goc is only on Nashville's second line because Lombardi has been injured for most of the season.

asleepinthechapel is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
  #58
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Gomez's point production in NJ illustrates that he is a very offensively capable forward. Stillman has gone through a steady decline, due in large part to his age. The possibility exists that Gomez can return to his form as a number 1 center-man. To think Stillman could do the same is preposterous.
Forgot to mention that Goc is only on Nashville's second line because Lombardi has been injured for most of the season.
His production has declined but it's to a point where he could be considered a second line player. He's a good passer on a team with no finishers. Two seasons ago he had 49 points in 63 games. Last season he had 37 points in 58 games. The biggest knock against him is his inability to stay healthy. Most teams would gladly give up a third round pick for him. I bet we get a second.

His tendency to take penalties is exaggerated. He has seven minors in 38 games.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
  #59
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
Gomez's point production in NJ illustrates that he is a very offensively capable forward. Stillman has gone through a steady decline, due in large part to his age. The possibility exists that Gomez can return to his form as a number 1 center-man. To think Stillman could do the same is preposterous.
Forgot to mention that Goc is only on Nashville's second line because Lombardi has been injured for most of the season.
he's at .71 PPG versus gomez's .79. and stillman's numbers have historically always been right around that mark. he had a couple of fantastic years back to back, boosted by assists that most certainly were the result of playing with cup winning offensive talent but, aside from that, his production has been consistent through a long career. his rate is down the past two years only and mainly, that's due to a drop off in PP points.

consider that he's played mostly with defensive specialists at even strength the past 2 years and, had the PP been producing a reasonable rate, he'd probably be around or above his career PPG average and then you have the full picture. his shooting percentage hasn't really diminished.

i don't think stiller's going to be a top line winger for anyone at this point either but the numbers more than suggest that he can and does still produce, even at a top 6 rate.

zeroG is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
  #60
asleepinthechapel
Registered User
 
asleepinthechapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N Plm Bch/Atlanta
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG
;30772722 his rate is down the past two years only and mainly, that's due to a drop off in PP points.
How in the world do you can you prove (and truly think) his decrease in point production is solely the cause cause of PP points? Did it occur to you that this might also be an effect of his age? You can't simply pin it on a "drop off in PP points."
Let me also mention that Stillman hasn't really been close to completing a full season of hockey in around seven seasons or so, thus that statistics are further skewed.
I really hope that Stillman is traded so we can all witness whether he will actually play on the 2nd line of a playoff team or not. Fact of the matter is, he can't cut the Panther's top 6.

asleepinthechapel is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
  #61
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleepinthechapel View Post
How in the world do you can you prove (and truly think) his decrease in point production is solely the cause cause of PP points? Did it occur to you that this might also be an effect of his age? You can't simply pin it on a "drop off in PP points."
Let me also mention that Stillman hasn't really been close to completing a full season of hockey in around seven seasons or so, thus that statistics are further skewed.
I really hope that Stillman is traded so we can all witness whether he will actually play on the 2nd line of a playoff team or not. Fact of the matter is, he can't cut the Panther's top 6.
look at his numbers. from 21 PP points to 9 last year and 5 this year so far. it's pretty clear. meanwhile, his shooting percentage isn't diminishing.

he's definitely had trouble staying healthy and THAT might be due to his age but when you look at the numbers, they do not support a conclusion that his skill is diminishing.

zeroG is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
  #62
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
I think discussing whether Stillman is a "top six" winger is an exercise in semantics. Whatever line he plays on, he is the type of cagey veteran who be very helpful in the playoffs... and in some ways that don't show up on the score sheet.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised that it takes a second round pick to get him. Historically, a third round pick isn't likely to get you an NHL player (~12% rate). Heck, even a second round pick has only a ~25% rate of producing an NHL caliber player. Remember to keep in mind that by the time that 2nd/3rd round pick is ready, the GM will probably be gone. Dadanov is the exception, not the rule.

Draft picks (particularly those outside the first round) are WAY overvalued on these forums.

angry_treefrog is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
  #63
Thin Ice
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Looks like Frolik is the first to go!!! For Jack Skille

Thin Ice is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
  #64
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Ice View Post
Looks like Frolik is the first to go!!! For Jack Skille
Yup. Locking it down... and reaching for the single malt.

angry_treefrog is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.