Notices

Should Dallas retire Zubovs number?

Old
02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
BeaverSports

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
When I see this and then look at his +/- those giveaways are mainly coming from his rushes up the ice. If they were coming mostly in the defensive zone then obviously the other team would be scoring more goals and lowering his overall +/-
Yes, that probably is true that they were on the rush rather than in the D zone, but they can still create odd-man rushes and sometimes you have to rely on your D partner, forwards, and goaltender to ensure your plus/minus doesn't take a hit there.

Quote:
If I'm a 3rd liner I'm there to either wear down the other teams defense, or throw my weight and forecheck the hell out of the other team. If you do both of those things successful, your +/- WILL reflect that. It shows whether or not you're able to mesh with your team or not, as well as if you're doing your job and pulling your weight.
Yes, to a degree it will, but my plus-minus might be higher because I'm playing with higher offensive players and I'm probably drawing a match of a checking line guy that may not score as much.

My coach may trade you being minus-two against the other team's top scoring line, if that means I can be plus-four against their defensive line because they're not matching head-to-head.

Plus-minus can tell you a lot of things, but it's tricky when you isolate a player based on it because there are a number of factors that go into each goal and it isn't as simple as one guy doing his job or not.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

if lidstrom was never born we could forego this discussion.

Zubie is the only defenseman to lead a 1st overall team in scoring in a season... And i think they even won the cup that year. Without a doubt an hofer... In 56 or 21! The roster had messier, leetch, kovalev on it during fairly prime years.

Last edited by Karitimes: 02-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
ScubaSteve*

Zubov is a top 5 defenseman from this past generation of talent. The only guys that you could conceivably rank above him are Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Pronger.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:00 AM
avlos

Zubie, Mo, and Lehts will all have their numbers hanging from the rafters one day. (hopefully)

The magical years the team with these guys at its core were amazing.

avlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 970
When I think of Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov having their numbers retired; my initial thought is that it's too many to retire, but thinking of how big an impact they had on the team and how rare such players are for a franchise, it seems reasonable.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote