HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Three weeks, four hours and change to go.

Past chatter:

one: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753462
two: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=776166
three: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=782189
four: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=787189
five: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=793092
six: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=794527
seven: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=795838
eight: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=799223
nine: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802322
ten: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=808507
eleven: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=813525
twelve: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=821720
thirteen: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=842896
fourteen: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=860187

Old
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
BobRouse

My take.

Lets hope we don't have to make any trade that involves more than a 3rd round pick.

Keep the kids in house and keep stocking up the pipeline.

Our D corps is solid and as good as its been since the Tinordi days. MP and MJ are getting better. Love the grit Chimera, Hendricks, Brads etc bring to the table. Knuble and Laich are going to the net more and more.

Hints that AO and Backstrom are rounding into form. Semin and Fehr back will instantly help the offense.

Tom Poti, when/if he gets back, will add depth to the D.

Why make a move for the sake of doing so if we have to give up a promising young player/prospect? (and for the record I consider MP a promising young player still)

Old
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

MP and some stuff out.

Arnott (and maybe some minor stuff) in.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

via Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDreger
Emery signs 2-way contract with Anaheim. Will be on waivers at noon. $500,000 (NHL). $105,000 (AHL).
I find it very surprising that the Ducks signed him to a 2-way contract. Sure, it lets them keep him in the AHL for more than 2 weeks if they want, but it also forces them to pass him through waivers. At that salary, I don't see him making it through. If they signed him to a 1-way contract, they could still send him to the AHL for 2 weeks on a conditioning stint without sending him through waivers, ensuring that he'd be a Duck. I don't see the logic here.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:02 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Just stick with what they have and see what happens. Give the kids the experience they need to continue developing at the NHL level.

And sign Hendricks to an extension.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
MP and some stuff out.
Arnott (and maybe some minor stuff) in.
Cautionary tale:

Back in the late 90s the Caps called up this kid named Andrew Brunette and he got on a bit of a tear and showed some flashes of NHL ability. Ron Wilson didn't like his skating ability (even to go so far as publicly ripping him for it) nor his "consistency" (which MOST young players struggle with).

Next year they left him unprotected in the expansion draft. Look how that turned out? MP is being ripped for his size and consistency.

Why people want to give up on him when he doesn't even have an entire NHL season under his belt is beyond me.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
sk84fun_dc

One way or two way contract has no impact on waivers on the way down.

Yes, it is possible they could have sent him down on a conditioning stint and bypassed waivers, but everyone has reported that even Emery says he needs time not just a conditioning stint.

The two-way contract with the 105,000 AHL pay does mean he does not need to pass through re-entry waivers and that is the key. Any team which claims Emery would have to keep him on the NHL roster; if he is not claimed/clears waivers and is assigned to the AHL, he does not need to clear re-entry waivers to join Anaheim later this season.

The difference between Forsberg or Emery and someone like Nabokov as it relates to waivers needed to join an NHL roster is that the Forsberg and Emery did not play for a European team after the NHL regular season started so they don't need to clear waivers to be signed and added to an NHL roster this season.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Cautionary tale:

Back in the late 90s the Caps called up this kid named Andrew Brunette and he got on a bit of a tear and showed some flashes of NHL ability. Ron Wilson didn't like his skating ability (even to go so far as publicly ripping him for it) nor his "consistency" (which MOST young players struggle with).

Next year they left him unprotected in the expansion draft. Look how that turned out? MP is being ripped for his size and consistency.

Why people want to give up on him when he doesn't even have an entire NHL season under his belt is beyond me.
Sorry, that was a prediction, not a recommendation.

However, MP for Arnott sraight up, I'd do in a second. Arnott is going to be more expensive than that, however.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Foy

Quote:
Cautionary tale:

the worst part about Brunette being ripped for his consistency is that he scored a goal in something like 17 of 18 games at one point during that season. The only game he didn't score a goal in is a game we were shutout. It was ridiculous. I freaking loved Brunette when he first came up and almost bought a jersey. Settled for Chris Simon instead.

Let me know when MP scores a point in 17 of 18 games or whatever it was that Brunette did.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:11 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
One way or two way contract has no impact on waivers on the way down.

Yes, it is possible they could have sent him down on a conditioning stint and bypassed waivers, but everyone has reported that even Emery says he needs time not just a conditioning stint.

The two-way contract with the 105,000 AHL pay does mean he does not need to pass through re-entry waivers and that is the key. Any team which claims Emery would have to keep him on the NHL roster; if he is not claimed/clears waivers and is assigned to the AHL, he does not need to clear re-entry waivers to join Anaheim later this season.

The difference between Forsberg or Emery and someone like Nabokov as it relates to waivers needed to join an NHL roster is that the Forsberg and Emery did not play for a European team after the NHL regular season started so they don't need to clear waivers to be signed and added to an NHL roster this season.
I understand. I still think he gets claimed at that price, and some team will live with him only getting 2 weeks of AHL time.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
artilector

Quote:
Cautionary tale:

I'm with you. Especially if it's for a second- or third-string rental.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
sk84fun_dc

Trade deadline: February 28th, Monday, 3pm (eastern)

Capitals draft picks:
- 2011: Caps own all their own picks except the second (2nd Traded to Carolina in Corvo deal last TDL)
- 2012: Currently have all picks

Capitals play 9 (3 home/6 road) more games before the deadline:

Tue Feb 8, 2011 vs Sharks
Sat Feb 12, 2011 vs Kings
Mon Feb 14, 2011 at Coyotes
Wed Feb 16, 2011 at Ducks
Thu Feb 17, 2011 at Sharks
Sun Feb 20, 2011 at Sabres
Mon Feb 21, 2011 at Penguins
Fri Feb 25, 2011 vs Rangers
Sat Feb 26, 2011 at Islanders

Last game before the deadline at NYI; First game post-deadline is the next day at home against the NYI.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

They need a center bad, but there is not a whole lot out there. Arnott will go for a 2nd, which they don't have. Unless they want to burn assets giving Brendan Morrison another go, they should probably stick with what they have.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
txpd

I think the Caps have the pieces available in the system to make a couple of deadline deals that will be of value. with the players coming into the system next season there are parts that you would think need an opportunity elsewhere. AGordon and Patty McNeil at the top of that list. Bouchard as well.

I dont think either connolly or arnott are going to cost primary assets. steve montador would be low cost. chris clark would be low cost and both would provide some depth and some playoff experience.

Just the center would be enough for me. Lets say for the sake of the argument that its arnott. That gives the Caps Backstrom, Arnott, Johansson, Perreault, Gordon and Steckel. That gives the Caps the ability to rotate the rookies in and out of one spot. It gives them the flexibility to use both Steckel and Gordon at center in certain situations with an opening for Beagle there.

We've seen that Perreault is better with rest. You'd think the 90 is going to be worn down by the lenth of the season by the end. Being able to rotate them might be a smart move.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
the worst part about Brunette being ripped for his consistency is that he scored a goal in something like 17 of 18 games at one point during that season. The only game he didn't score a goal in is a game we were shutout. It was ridiculous. I freaking loved Brunette when he first came up and almost bought a jersey. Settled for Chris Simon instead.
Yeah it was baffling b/c after that hot streak (which helped the caps turn their season around that year) as soon as one or two players got healthy they sent him down to the AHL. I don't think he ever played for the Caps again. Very weak.

Quad deke,

I would NOT trade MP for Arnott. I'd give a draft pick for the guy just for his veteran presence. MP has shown enough flashes to me that he should not be considered in a trade unless one that will truly be hard to pass up.

I believe he will be an NHL player and he brings a lot of energy to the table.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
I understand. I still think he gets claimed at that price, and some team will live with him only getting 2 weeks of AHL time.
Ok, but your first post does not make it clear that you understood...the one way/two way contract has no impact on that decision.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Yeah it was baffling b/c after that hot streak (which helped the caps turn their season around that year) as soon as one or two players got healthy they sent him down to the AHL. I don't think he ever played for the Caps again. Very weak.

Quad deke,

I would NOT trade MP for Arnott. I'd give a draft pick for the guy just for his veteran presence. MP has shown enough flashes to me that he should not be considered in a trade unless one that will truly be hard to pass up.

I believe he will be an NHL player and he brings a lot of energy to the table.
He might become a consistent NHL player, but I don't really see him having a long-term spot on this team. With MoJo/Eakin/Kuznetsov all here or on their way, where does MP play? So basically, while the value in a MP/Arnott trade might be off, I have no attachment to MP, and won't miss him if he's traded.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
txpd

as presently structured, i dont think the caps can afford to trade MP based on depth even if they bring in another center. they already traded fleischmann. if they trade perreault to get another center, they are only a gordo injury away from the minimum number of 4 centers.

btw...i would take another shot at BMo. He's on a little run right now along with the team. if they decide to sell, he would not be expensive to get and would be a familiar face.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I'm currently in the do-nothing camp. MP isn't going to fetch much in a trade and he would need to go out to address our only need in a legitimate second-line center. I think his small size might help him find spaces in the playoffs when space is at a premium.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Devil Dancer

A lot depends on what happens over the next 9 games, but for now I prefer to stick with what they have.

If they do make a move, it will probably be for someone none of us have mentioned. That's how they roll.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm fine with the group we've got. Plus, from a practical perspective I don't see too many sellers out there.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I'm currently in the do-nothing camp. MP isn't going to fetch much in a trade and he would need to go out to address our only need in a legitimate second-line center. I think his small size might help him find spaces in the playoffs when space is at a premium.
MP is at his best below the faceoff circles in the offensive zone and uses his quickness extremely well to win puck battles. He's very shifty and ala Dino that really comes into play in the playoffs.

Also another benefit of the "do nothing camp" is that you maintain the locker room.

I've seen too many times where we bring in someone or make a trade (Zubrus/Linden...or last year with Corvo and Co.) where it disrupts the chemistry and ends up being counterproductive.

At least you eliminate that risk.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
There is no truth to the idea that the Caps acquisition of a 2c at the deadline would mean that Perreault would have to go. The Caps dont need to trade him to get a center and they dont need to move him off the roster when that center arrives. It might effect Perreault's playing time, but thats all.

As we have see here lately, Perreault seems to play better on some rest. Maybe thats a key.

Again, a depth defenseman might be a good idea as well. We dont know the story with Poti and any depth D acquired would push the SPECTRE(Special Executive for Counter-Intelligence, Revenge and Extortion) of TFS back on spot on the depth chart.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Current likely sellers: Edmonton, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Toronto & Florida. The lack of separation in the West is going to make decisions difficult for a few GMs.

Arnott could wind up being the lone top six center rental out there and he's not quite a player worth overpaying for. I do wonder if the injuries to 87/71 might lead GMGM to be a little more aggressive, though.

It's too bad Fisher's contract leaves a lot to be desired. He'd be a pretty good fit, particularly in light of their more defensive-minded approach.

Old
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Current likely sellers: Edmonton, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Ottawa, Toronto & Florida. The lack of separation in the West is going to make decisions difficult for a few GMs.

Arnott could wind up being the lone top six center rental out there and he's not quite a player worth overpaying for. I do wonder if the injuries to 87/71 might lead GMGM to be a little more aggressive, though.

It's too bad Fisher's contract leaves a lot to be desired. He'd be a pretty good fit, particularly in light of their more defensive-minded approach.
Didn't Murray want a 1st and a top prospect for Fisher? Yikes! No way he is worth that when you consider his contract too.

Like TXPD mentioned D depth may not be a bad idea if Poti is looking like he is done for the year. Don't need Sloan playing.

Arnott seems a good choice but I am sure with Malkin going down that the Pens will target him.

Closed Thread