HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Trade Deadline Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Discussion

Who do you guys think would be a fit on this and a realistic trade option? I was talking to a few people in chat about this a few days ago and was surprised at some of the names and logic that came up. Personally I think we have no need to improve on defense has we're stacked on the back-end. However I do want to see this team add a top six player who can compliment Kesler's game. Raymond has stalled and Samuelsson has been erratic (although I feel he'll turn it on in the playoffs) so I'd like to see a big winger that can be a beast along the boards and in front of the net to compliment Kesler's new found passing game.

My choices...

Erik Cole - Cole would probably be among the most realistic options. Has a cup win, plays a physical power forward game, and can get hot for stretches at a time. Quietly having a respectable but season but is largely lost in the shuffle in Carolina.

Scott Hartnell - Might become a cap causality victim in Philadelphia. The pugnacious Hartnell would be hell on wheels with Kesler. He'd also add a physicality and big bodied presence missing from the top six.

Ryan Clowe - Clowe is quietly having a big season on a Sharks' team that largely in disarray. Clowe has matured into one of the better power forwards in the Western conference and can play anywhere in the top nine.

Anyway, those are three quick ones. Your thoughts?

Old
01-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Tarot Sport*

I don't think Erik Cole really plays a power-forward style of game.

Hartnell and Clowe are going nowhere.

Realistically, I would like Galiardi, Yip or McCormick.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:09 AM
DFAC

I know this has been proposed quite a few times before but I'd love to swing a trade with Florida that involved Reasoner and Weaver. The two would really help going down the stretch.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:11 AM
GCM
Kesler Did This

you say realistic and then go unrealistic with Clowe and Hartnell.

And Clowe's season is NOT quiet.

Cole is basically Samuelsson but with a different style.

We can't afford them anyways.

and @ the second poster, Colorado will give us nothing.

Realistically, we don't need anything at the trade deadline.

We have the cup winning vet (sammy) we have the depth on D (5 top 4 + some nice bottom pairing guys) and we have the secondary scoring and shutdown lines.

So what would we need? You don't trade for the sake of it being the deadline.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Eddie Vedder

2 players on playoff teams =/= deadline targets.

erik cole isnt worth assets.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
and @ the second poster, Colorado will give us nothing.
Most likely, but both Yip and Galiardi are having pretty awful years, and I wonder what they would think of a Shirokov+Rome offer.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Eddie Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Whitbread View Post
Most likely, but Yip and Galiardi are having pretty awful years, and I wonder what they would think of a Shirokov/Rome offer.
they would think "no".

Old
01-25-2011, 12:19 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Clowe would be ideal but unless Bieksa or Ballard are headed that way its not going to happen.

Reasoner is the most realistic proposition, we could use another true centre in the bottom 6. More importantly we could use some reliable scoring down there.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
HFBoards Sponsor

Dustin Penner or David Booth?

Old
01-25-2011, 12:22 AM
timw33

Marty Reasoner.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Tarot Sport*

I also like Chris Thorburn in Atlanta (6'3 fourth-liner with 15 points) and Raymond Sawada in Dallas's farm system (6'2 0.5 PPG pace) .

Thorburn also seems like a Gillis kind of guy.

Both trades could be built around Shirokov.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
GCM
Kesler Did This

I like the idea of getting Marty Reasoner. Weaver I don't think we need but I wouldn't mind him as a throw in.

that said I wouldn't give any roster player or Shirokov in any package to get Reasoner. I think a pick should suffice, FLA would probs be ok with a 3rd for him right? Maybe a 2nd if they want to play hard ball but that's a high price for a 4th line C.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Meganuck*

Unfortunately Calgary is back in the hunt otherwise Glencross is ideal.

Ryan Jones from Edmonton as well.

I personally dont think that Gillis will make any moves at the deadline. He stands pat and lets Salo get back into the lineup and i bet that makes a massive improvement to the Canucks D.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
just22
Registered *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
I like the idea of getting Marty Reasoner. Weaver I don't think we need but I wouldn't mind him as a throw in.

that said I wouldn't give any roster player or Shirokov in any package to get Reasoner. I think a pick should suffice, FLA would probs be ok with a 3rd for him right? Maybe a 2nd if they want to play hard ball but that's a high price for a 4th line C.
Doubt that would be enough, and he would most definitely be on the 3rd line

Old
01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
David71

dustin penner would look good alongside kesler's wing. Big, soft hands. but trading within the divison is probably highly unlikely.. but who knows. clagary/edmonton did it last yr. reasoner is the most liekly 4c to target. asking price:2nd/3rdish..imo

Old
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post

Ryan Jones from Edmonton as well.

I personally dont think that Gillis will make any moves at the deadline. He stands pat and lets Salo get back into the lineup and i bet that makes a massive improvement to the Canucks D.
gillis is not standing pat.. I think he will upgrade the bottom 6 lines. heading into the playoffs. depth=is more important and will be down the stretch. he's going to tinker here and there and then everyone will see what the "playoff lines will look like with about 10-15games to go.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

Honestly I don't think Hartnell is out of the realm of possibilities. When you talk to Philly fans his name comes up consistently as the player most likely to be leaving soon.

Also, I like Cole simply because he couldn't cost much more than a 2nd round pick yet as been known for clutch play and has spurts where's a top player. I do agree he'd be another Samuelsson but I just like the intangibles he would bring.

Old
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
gillis is not standing pat.. I think he will upgrade the bottom 6 lines. heading into the playoffs. depth=is more important and will be down the stretch. he's going to tinker here and there and then everyone will see what the "playoff lines will look like with about 10-15games to go.
Depth is the reason that we're seeing so many callups, IMO. They're giving alot of players looks in the NHL (of course because of injuries) to see how they fare against high level competition.

The canucks wont add anyone unless they trade off some significant salary. Which I dont see happening.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:05 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Honestly I don't think Hartnell is out of the realm of possibilities. When you talk to Philly fans his name comes up consistently as the player most likely to be leaving soon.
Not realistic even if he is available.

$4,200,000, that would require some major pieces getting traded.

Ballard/Bieksa or Raymond + $1.7ish m.

Quote:
Also, I like Cole simply because he couldn't cost much more than a 2nd round pick yet as been known for clutch play and has spurts where's a top player. I do agree he'd be another Samuelsson but I just like the intangibles he would bring.
$2,900,000. it's possible but again unlikely unless we move someone expensive. Gillis seems to like his 5 top 4 Dmen.

If I had to guess I think it will be a small move to solidy the bottom 6 centre. Someone who can play 3/4C and help special teams with Hodgson the spare C in case of injuries after the deadline.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:14 AM
David71

would u want an old grizzled vet like john madden or marty reasoner?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Momesso

A trade deadline acquisition can have an effect on the team's psyche as well if it addresses known weakness.

Which the 4C spot definitely is.

Adding a Reasoner in that position (who is really a #3) adds a real dynamic element to our bottom 6. I don't think we can underestimate the impact a player like that can have - more that you'd think on the surface of it.

If he has chemistry with the likes of Torres/Sammy or Tambellini then all the better.

-----

It's no secret I'd like to add a solid top 6 winger with size, and the only guys I see available are:

- Penner
- Booth
- Stafford
- Clarkson

All have key weaknesses (or shortcomings or salary issues) which add risk but also lower their prices to a degree, but all bring something to the table should they get hot and playing with Kesler is the best thing that could happen to any winger.

Of course salary cap is a major concern and somehow the team would have to jettison salary to accomodate a top 6 winger.

But Reasoner could be had w/ minimal impact.

Someone mentioned McCormick earlier. He's interesting, I've only seen snippets of his game. Chris Kelly is another option that could be had fairly cheap but he's expensive and signed for another year.

Last edited by Momesso: 01-25-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old
01-25-2011, 01:26 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
Pretty tight in the west atm. Calgary are 12th overall but are actually 14th on a per game basis (cb and stl are 1 point back with 2 games in hand). Hoping the teams in the top 8 flunk out and then all 5 of the team above you in the bottom 7 flunk out, big ask when you factor LA and SJ are currently in that group trying to get back into playoff spots.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Momesso

A lot can change though as we lead up to the deadline. Two weeks ago I thought we'd see a firesale in Calgary (with Bourque being a potential target), but they're in the hunt now.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Pretty tight in the west atm. Calgary are 12th overall but are actually 14th on a per game basis (cb and stl are 1 point back with 2 games in hand). Hoping the teams in the top 8 flunk out and then all 5 of the team above you in the bottom 7 flunk out, big ask when you factor LA and SJ are currently in that group trying to get back into playoff spots.
Yeah, the worst thing we can have is a tight race for those last few spots, which is what it looks like we're going to get.

Everyone's going to be bidding for those extra pieces. If that ends up being the case, I doubt Gillis will bother looking for anything other than that 4C solution.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:30 AM
givemeda411

Provided these teams don't make the playoffs.

BUF: Niedermayer $1.2M
CAL: Morrison $700K
MIN: Madden $1.25M
ATL: Thorburn $690K
CLB: Clark $2.5M

Personally I would love to have Morrison as he can be used on the 4th line, and if AV needed to juggle the lines he would it would be nice to see Raymond and Kesler on his wing. Also he is a player who can play in different positions.

Closed Thread