HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rebuild Buffalo in ONE Off Season

Old
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Pengo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
A top 6 center and a PPQB defenseman.
Answer to both = Brad Richards

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalocupcrazy View Post
we're not rebuilding...
You might want to check with your new owner about that, not to mention reading the thread title...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Jesus Toews*

Signing a ******** of free agents =/= rebuild. Cup winners have never been built around forward FA signings or even had key contributions from forward FA signings for years.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:30 AM
Ismellofhockey

Trade Connolly for a 2nd + prospect
Trade Hecht for a 3rd
Trade Grier for a 3rd/4th
Trade Niedermayer for a 6th
Re-sign Montador
Trade Rivet for a 3rd

Trade a 1st and 3rd for Fisher (overpayment I know)
Fisher is fast enough to keep up with the other Sabres but gives them more toughness in the top 6.
Trade a 2nd + prospect for Clarkson
Again, adds toughness but still has a good amount of skill

Sign Jeff Halpern.
Sign the best defenceman you can get your hands on.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Fisher - Pominville
Adam - Halpern - Clarkson
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Myers - Leopold
Montador - UFA
Sekera - Morrisonn
Weber

Miller

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:53 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Richards has zero chance of signing with the Buff-a-slug. Chances are your team will still be rotten next year

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 03:09 AM
dkollidas

Just throwing some ideas out there...

1. At the deadline, trade Connolly, Rivet, Niedermeyer, Grier for whatever you can get in return from the highest bidder, whether in the division or not (none of these guys are good enough, or yound enough to hurt us for a long time except Connolly, and we all know he won't be healthy enough to do that).

-Why? They're all bad at best, horrible at worst, and this team needs a makeover, badly. Out with the OLD, we need new.

----------After the Deadline/Off-Season

2. Re-Sign Montador to a deal that is maybe 2-3 years in length for about $2.5M/yr.

-Why? Well because of a move I propose below, he becomes a bit more necessary, and he is pretty responsible, is willing to fight, plays hard, is a leader, and pairs well with Leopold IMO, and we all see how chemistry does work with these two, and doesn't (Myers without Tallinder)

3. Trade Drew Stafford to Vancouver for Cody Hodgson, or trade Stafford to Los Angeles for Schenn (maybe something would need to be added in either deal, I'm not sure, but hey, this is fantasy off-season, so I'm saying Stafford to Vancouver for Hodgson straight up, or maybe Stafford and a 3rd.

-Why? Stafford is becoming a pretty good player IMO. But in order for this team to win a cup, they need help at center, badly. and Brad Richards, or trading for Mike Ribero, or another older veteran IMO is not the way to go. Look at the best teams in the league right now... Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin, Staal), Philadelphia (Richards, Carter, Giroux, Briere), Vancouver (Sedin, Kesler), Boston (Bergeron, Kreji, Seguin, and Savard even though he's on IR... again), Chicago (Toews, Sharp, Bolland). All these teams have at least two guys who could be the Sabres top pivot, and most have at least 3 guys that are widely considered top-6 forwards that can play center.

4. Trade Andrej Sekera to Boston for Blake Wheeler. Perfect deal for both teams, Sekera re-unites with Olympic pal Chara, Wheeler re-unites with collegiate pal Vanek.

-Why? The Stafford deal leaves an opening at right wing. Sekera is solid, but I feel he won't be a top-3 defensemen in his career, at least with the Sabres. With Boston and Chara, maybe. Wheeler meanwhile, has the ability to become a top-6 forward, and can play either wing, or even center, which adds to his value, plus he's got great size.

5. Use whatever picks we get from dealing Connoly et. al. at the deadline plus our own 2011/2nd OR 2011/3rd round picks, plus Chris Butler if anyone wants him, in order to move up and select one of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier, Ryan Strome, or Jonathan Huberdeau (I realize Nugent-Hopkins and Couturier are extreme extreme longshots, just saying they need to move up in order to grab top center prospect). If they still have their own second or third round pick, use that/those to draft centers as well.

-Why? As stated before, the top teams have center depth. An organizational depth chart at center that read something like... Roy, Hecht?, Hodgson, Gaustad, Strome, Adam, Byron, St.Croix would make this team 100x deeper at center than it was coming into this season (Roy, Connolly, Hecht? Gaustad, Niedermeyer, Adam, Byron). Not sure if we're considering Hecht a center for next season, willing to do it either way IMO.

6. During the free agency period, the Sabres should make a hard push for a good two-way, veteran defenseman, who can be signed to a short term contract, i.e. Ed Jovanovski (34), Roman Hamrlik (36), Chris Phillips (32), Jan Hejda (32), in order to give Tyler Myers what he needs, a quality two-way responsible veteran presence on the other side of him who can log minutes. My hope would be Phillips, Jovanovski, or Hamrlik, signed to maybe a 2 year deal.

-Why? To get Myers back to where he was last year and have a true top pairing of defensemen. Also, I believe a veteran is a better idea than signing a guy like Pitkanen or Kaberle because, whomever they sign they will likely try to pair with Myers. Neither Kaberle or Pitkanen really fit with Myers, they're all too similar in that they like to rush the puck up the ice themselves. Myers needs a guy he knows he can count on to bail him out so he has the confidence to really rush the puck up the ice. A guy like Phillips could do this. I know he's had a bad season, but he's been a good player for a long time and isn't that old, plus how cool would it be to have him paired with Myers and watch him check Spezza hard! Also, the Sabres have a number of prospects coming up in the ranks, i.e. Drew Schiestel (despite the injury) Marc-Andre Gragniani (although I doubt he'll ever be more than a seventh defenseman), T.J. Brennan, Dennis Persson (who looks much better this season than last), and most promisingly Brayden McNabb (who I believe would eventually make a great partner with Myers) and Mark Pysyk (who I feel will eventually be the number three defensemen paired long-term with Weber).

So the roster would look something like this...
Forwards
L1 Vanek Roy Wheeler
L2 Ennis Hecht/Hodgson Pominville
L3 Gerbe Gaustad Kassian
L4 Hecht/McCormick McCormick/Adam Kaleta
ex1 Ellis Byron Mancari
ex2 Foligno Strome Tropp
ex3 ? St.Croix Parrish

Defensemen
LD - RD
L1 Phillips Myers
L2 Leopold Montador
L3 Weber Morrisonn/Butler?
ex1 Gragniani Schiestel
ex2 Brennan McNabb
ex3 Persson Pysyk

Goalies

Starter Miller
Back-up Enroth

ex 1 Leggio
ex 2 Eidsness/Knapp

*"ex" refers to next on the depth chart, similar as to THN's depth charts, organized in terms of top players in the organization, not only NHL and AHL.

Thoughts???

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:28 AM
buffalocupcrazy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You might want to check with your new owner about that, not to mention reading the thread title...

i'm sorry, has terry pegula said anything publicly since the sale was announced? oh okay...

and i started the thread. i meant re-load, i should have been more clear. this is not a team that's no where near contending...a player like richards would push them over the top with all the young talent coming up

buffalocupcrazy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:29 AM
buffalocupcrazy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHockey View Post
Richards has zero chance of signing with the Buff-a-slug. Chances are your team will still be rotten next year
well, that was sure insightful. thanks for stopping by.

when you grow up a little, feel free to come back and make a big boy post.

buffalocupcrazy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:34 AM
sabresfan123*

Defence needs to be much better....maybe picking up Shea Weber or Seabrook. I here they are both available.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Dekar

Spend the whole off-season building a time-machine to go back to the year 1999.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:18 AM
CaptPantalones

OK, first off, I hate the word "rebuild". Were winning and closing in on a playoff spot. So I think the proper term is "retool"

2nd, anyone who thinks Brad Richards is remotely realistic is dreaming. Yes, Pegula has all this money he supposedly wants to spend and what not, but lets not forget, its gonna take a lot more then a few months with a new owner to break the stigma that is Buffalo. UFAs simply dont come here. Economy, team stigma and area will all be against us. Not to mention the money that teams like the Rangers and others can likely trump.

So realistically, if you want to add a center, I see them trying to make a trade for a Fisher or a Weiss, with Weiss being the most likely option, especially if Regier is still involved somehow. Then you go grab a mid-tier UFA or 2 and then add Kassian and Adam if you have room.

So the trade: Butler, Gerbe and a 2011 2nd for Weiss.
Resign Montador. Let the rest of the UFAs walk
Sign Tomas Kaberle or comparable UFA D-man. Not the most unrealistic option as its always been said he wants to stay close to Toronto. His family can still live there while he plays here. If not him, McCabe/White/erhoff.

Vanek-Roy-Ennis
Stafford-Weiss-Pominville
Hecht-Adam-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-UFA D-man
Montador-Leopold
Sekera-Weber
Morrisson

Miller
Enroth

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Trade Connolly for a 2nd + prospect
Trade Hecht for a 3rd
Trade Grier for a 3rd/4th
Trade Niedermayer for a 6th
Re-sign Montador
Trade Rivet for a 3rd

Trade a 1st and 3rd for Fisher (overpayment I know)
Fisher is fast enough to keep up with the other Sabres but gives them more toughness in the top 6.
Trade a 2nd + prospect for Clarkson
Again, adds toughness but still has a good amount of skill

Sign Jeff Halpern.
Sign the best defenceman you can get your hands on.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Fisher - Pominville
Adam - Halpern - Clarkson
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Myers - Leopold
Montador - UFA
Sekera - Morrisonn
Weber

Miller
That's actually somewhat realistic. Nice job, especially since it looks like you're a Sens fan. I do think that's a bit of an overpayment for Fisher, but I'd consider it depending on how our picks situation at the time. Personally, I'd prefer something like Adam + 2nd for Fisher.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

How nice of the NHL to help Buffalo improve

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote