HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2015 NHL Offseason Thread III (current news, expansion, trade rumors, free agency) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2015, 03:26 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
2015 NHL Offseason Thread III (current news, expansion, trade rumors, free agency) ‎

Part II

07-03-2015, 04:39 AM
tade

Something around Sharp for Read. 1st LW solved for 2 years then we can let him walk. Hawks saves 2.2M and for this season we can add extra cap hit in the form of Sharp. We could still trade him for picks at the deadline or next off-season.

Old
07-03-2015, 06:12 AM
FlyRoutine

Were no contender, so I dont think its a good idea to trade for an expensive 33 year old player who is already on his decline.
Would rather hold onto Read and hope he can rebound from his injury plagued last season.

Old
07-03-2015, 06:30 AM
tade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRoutine View Post
Were no contender, so I dont think its a good idea to trade for an expensive 33 year old player who is already on his decline.
Would rather hold onto Read and hope he can rebound from his injury plagued last season.
Yes, we are not contender but I want us to make the play-offs next season. Is there any fan who doesn't want to make the play-offs at the start of new season? That should be goal every season. I agree what you say about Matt Read, I hope in the same thing.

However, I would love to get Sharp to play alongside Giroux and Voracek, he would fit them very well, I think. IMO he plays the game which won't decline that fast and I think he will be very productive for at least 2-3 more years.

Old
07-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Tripod

Sounds like ROR has been re-signed by Buffalo. Terms on the way.

Old
07-03-2015, 06:57 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRoutine View Post
I'm with you, no point in adding more salary for Sharp. He's a luxury you add at the deadline to make a run, not someone you trade a younger version of him in the offseason to a rebuild. Makes zero sense to me given everything Hexy has done to date. Besides the added rumors about his off ice shenanigans with his teammates wives, doesn't sound like a great idea. I'll pass and take my chances on a healthy Read.

Old
07-03-2015, 07:12 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tade View Post
Yes, we are not contender but I want us to make the play-offs next season. Is there any fan who doesn't want to make the play-offs at the start of new season? That should be goal every season. I agree what you say about Matt Read, I hope in the same thing.

However, I would love to get Sharp to play alongside Giroux and Voracek, he would fit them very well, I think. IMO he plays the game which won't decline that fast and I think he will be very productive for at least 2-3 more years.
Yes we would like to make the playoffs but most of us are being realistic and would rather see the team build for sustained success even if that means we suffer another uncompetive year. I'd rather not buy on guys who won't be a factor 2-3 years down the road.

Old
07-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Sounds like ROR has been re-signed by Buffalo. Terms on the way.
Terrible news to wake up to

Also, I would rather just keep read over sharp. Sharp has 2 million on the cap more which would put us even more of a jam if it were to happen.

07-03-2015, 07:27 AM
tade

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I'm with you, no point in adding more salary for Sharp. He's a luxury you add at the deadline to make a run, not someone you trade a younger version of him in the offseason to a rebuild. Makes zero sense to me given everything Hexy has done to date. Besides the added rumors about his off ice shenanigans with his teammates wives, doesn't sound like a great idea. I'll pass and take my chances on a healthy Read.
Matt Read is certainly not "younger version" of him. Sharp is superior player compared to Read. We would have legit top line with him. But I know that it would be against what Hexy said about the way of building our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Yes we would like to make the playoffs but most of us are being realistic and would rather see the team build for sustained success even if that means we suffer another uncompetive year. I'd rather not buy on guys who won't be a factor 2-3 years down the road.
I think Matt Read also won't be much of a factor in 3 years, maybe I am wrong but who knows. As I said above I see in Sharps style of game great longevity. Let's not be like Buffalo, Edmonton or Pittsburgh (10 years ago) and tank for a purpose. We should aim play-offs as our goal every season.

//To make it clear - I like Matt Read and I hope he rebounds next season as all of you but if all what it would take to acquire Patrick Sharp was Matt Read. I do it without hesitation.

Last edited by tade: 07-03-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old
07-03-2015, 07:45 AM
FlyRoutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tade View Post

I dont think Sharp would make the difference if we make the playoffs or not. We never lacked offensive depth the last few years. Its the bad transition game from defense to offense, especially since pronger and timonen are gone.
As long as we dont fix that, we will always be a mediocre team. Thats the main reason what makes that move redundant for me, especially if we had to add to read.
Our prospect pool makes me pretty optimistic, but they still probably need a few years to develope. Until then sharp will most likely never be, where he is today.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Prongo
Beer

We want to add speed to our lineup but we subtract one of our fastest players for an average skater.

I don't want to circle back around to Sharp. That ship has sailed. Would rather spend some more and acquire a player like Skinner. Someone to that degree. Not an aging player but a player that is in or just about in their prime to slot next to Giroux.

On a separate note, an article about Voynov. The real reason I am putting the link here though is because of the terrible picture of Helene Elliott...... She can't be happy with that one right there..

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/...03-column.html

She actually speculates they could trade him as well.

Last edited by Prongo: 07-03-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old
07-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Tripod

You have to think that our present Dmen look at our prospects list of kids coming on D and see that they are soon to be replaced. Maybe it forces guys to work out even more in the summer for fear of job lose as early as this year. Lets's hope.

Anyone know if Couturier has begun offseason workouts yet? He is a month behind schedule.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:31 AM
TheDrizzle81

I don't think we're going to be a lottery team for that long. I think this roster could be a fringe contender if all goes right I'm just not expecting it nor am I asking for management to mortgage any bit of our future to be better than they are. I think another year maybe two of patience will pay off once that young core on defense makes their presence known in the nhl. I believe it will be worth it.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:32 AM
BrindamoursNose

I'm fascinated by how many people have bought into this Sharp thing.

He's old. We're not trying to acquire old players for young ones. Matt Read, if he bounces back, is way more important to the team going forward IMO. Does everything and still has his youth.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Ghosts Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
We want to add speed to our lineup but we subtract one of our fastest players for an average skater.
Sharp is at least as good a skater as Read.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosts Beer View Post
Sharp is at least as good a skater as Read.
Sharp is a very average skater. He is not on the same level as Read. He isn't slow and still has the wheels to get around a NHL rink but he isn't as good as a skater as Read( of course this is when Read is 100% healthy)

Another issue with Sharp is if we get him he is 2.2 million more on our cap than Read. We would only have around 2 million to re-sign Del Zotto then. It just doesn't make sense from a Flyers perspective.

Old
07-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Sharp is a very average skater. He is not on the same level as Read. He isn't slow and still has the wheels to get around a NHL rink but he isn't as good as a skater as Read( of course this is when Read is 100% healthy)

Another issue with Sharp is if we get him he is 2.2 million more on our cap than Read. We would only have around 2 million to re-sign Del Zotto then. It just doesn't make sense from a Flyers perspective.
Yeah....Sharp is more suited to go to a team further along than we are or one that is looking to make a big jump. We are more in a grow from within hold pattern this year.

If Edmonton got him at a good price he would be a good fit for them...a nice vet to add to the kids.

Sharp RNH Eberle
Hall MacDavid Yak

Old
07-03-2015, 09:02 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'm fascinated by how many people have bought into this Sharp thing.

He's old. We're not trying to acquire old players for young ones. Matt Read, if he bounces back, is way more important to the team going forward IMO. Does everything and still has his youth.
Read is 29 years old. He's not old, but I wouldn't say he's still got his youth.

On top of that, neither player is going to be a long-term piece of our core. So the question is, who is better for the next two seasons? Even fi you expect Read to bounce back completely, the answer is still Sharp.

Old
07-03-2015, 09:06 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I don't think we're going to be a lottery team for that long. I think this roster could be a fringe contender if all goes right I'm just not expecting it nor am I asking for management to mortgage any bit of our future to be better than they are. I think another year maybe two of patience will pay off once that young core on defense makes their presence known in the nhl. I believe it will be worth it.
Taking a forward with a lottery pick next year could go a long way for this organization. I hope we make the playoffs but I'd rather finish bottom 10 than miss the playoffs by two points. Trade Streit at the deadline and have a similar draft as this past one and they'll be contending for a long time going forward.

Old
07-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Read is 29 years old. He's not old, but I wouldn't say he's still got his youth.

On top of that, neither player is going to be a long-term piece of our core. So the question is, who is better for the next two seasons? Even fi you expect Read to bounce back completely, the answer is still Sharp.
I'm not worried about losing Read for Sharp, I don't think either will be a part of the team when we're really ready to contend, I just don't want to give up picks in addition to Read to get a rental player that doesn't fit in long term. Not that those picks will definitely be a big part of our future, but they could be used to help the team in other ways that are better long term than adding Sharp, like moving dead weight or moving up in the draft or whatever else.

Old
07-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Hextall said he wouldn't trade young guys for 29 year olds. He never said he wouldn't trade a 29 year old for a 33 year old.

Sharp had a down year for him. 43 points in 68 regular season games, and 15 points in 23 playoff games. Read's down year was 30 points in 80 games.

Old
07-03-2015, 09:15 AM
BringBackStevens

I'd easily trade read for Sharp straight up. He's a way better player

Old
07-03-2015, 09:23 AM
martz11

Call me crazy but what is the big deal about Oshi? Everyone seems to think that he's sending the caps over the top. The guy has one 20 goal season and he turns 29 at the end of the calendar year. I'm not quite sure what the fascination is with him.

Old
07-03-2015, 09:23 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Taking a forward with a lottery pick next year could go a long way for this organization. I hope we make the playoffs but I'd rather finish bottom 10 than miss the playoffs by two points. Trade Streit at the deadline and have a similar draft as this past one and they'll be contending for a long time going forward.
I won't be upset either way. I'm rooting to win but I won't be disappointed if we end up a lotto team

Old
07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
WastedTalent
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martz11 View Post
Call me crazy but what is the big deal about Oshi? Everyone seems to think that he's sending the caps over the top. The guy has one 20 goal season and he turns 29 at the end of the calendar year. I'm not quite sure what the fascination is with him.
I think it has a lot to do with the whole Sochi shootout thing...personally I've always thought he was extremely overrated

Closed Thread