HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Official Rant Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 07:47 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
2013-14 Official Rant Thread

Last season, the Panthers finished dead-last in the NHL while playing in the SE division. We have now moved to the much tougher, eight team Atlantic Division. For business reasons, our ownership has decided to cut back on spending and move toward becoming one of the bottom 3 spenders in the NHL.

In the off season, the Panthers have lost Weiss for nothing and have signed a bunch of AHL/NHL tweeners to minimum contracts. Many potential starters may not be ready at the beginning of the season due to recovering from surgery, including Barkov (shoulder), Versteeg (knee) and Jovo (hip).

Assuming that all return from injury, our top 3 lines will likely struggle to score goals and will look something like this:

Huber-Matthias-Flash
Steeg -Goc- Upshall
Shore--Barkov-Bergenheim

Our defense, will start an unproven, but talented goalie playing behind what appears to be a porous defense that looks something like this:

Guds-Soupy
Weaver- Kulikov
Jovo- XXX

In comparison to a genuine playoff contender, we appear to be missing: (1) first and second line centers: (2) a first line forward; (3) a no. 1 D ; (4) a no. 5-6 D and (5) a first line starting goalie.

We currently appear to be one of the bottom 3 worst teams in the NHL. We will be challenged to score goals on offense. We will be challenged to stop the opposition from scoring on defense. To make matters worse, we do not even appear to be a team that is "difficult to play against," since we lack size, grit, a proven pest or an enforcer. All in all, as presently constructed, we are in for another long, losing season with us in full tank mode by February with the prospect of Goc and Kulikov( whom we will be too cheap to resign) and their expiring contracts being dealt at the trade deadline.

In sum, it appears that this season will be about losing once again, except that unlike the past, we really do have talented prospects in the system. Also, next year's draft appears to be a strong one, which might provide some solace to fans of a bottom finisher like I expect us to be.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
rockit2112

I should be, but I'm honestly not that worried. In fact, I feel like we're a better team than we were when we won the division. Barkov takes Weiss's place, we add a more talented goaltender than Theo in Marky, Matthias has started to prove his worth, Bergenheim coming back, a more experienced Guds and Kulikov, and the reigning ROY.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:10 AM
gudzilla

campbell was a #1D in the '12 season, he can play big minutes, all special teams etc. is he a good #1D? no, but he's still better than many teams

Old
07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

BTW SCF, Petrovic, (our soon to be nasty #1 a or 1b) reminds you all that he will be a regular at the BB&T.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old
07-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I'm sorry, but a fairly healthy Panthers team is not the worst team in the NHL (ahem, Calgary) nor in our division (Buffalo, anyone?). We were bad last year for one major reason: injuries. Yeah our best players weren't as good from the year before but you don't lose Weiss, Versteeg, Theodore and a number of others for significant time and expect to compete. Yes it's going to be very hard for us in this division but I think they'll be more competitive than you think.

Also our defense is hardly porous outside of Jovo. Last I checked, Kuba isn't a Panther.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
07-27-2013, 11:02 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Time to return the traditional yearly rant thread.

Rather than start a new thread every time the Panthers disappoint you, please post your displeasure here.

Hopefully the team surprises us and this thread becomes a ghost town.

If negativity bothers you and you'd rather look at the bright side of things - just ignore this thread.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-27-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
07-27-2013, 11:35 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Time to return the traditional yearly rant thread.

Rather than start a new thread every time the Panthers disappoint you, please post your displeasure here.

Hopefully the team surprises us and this thread becomes a ghost town.

If negativity bothers you and you'd rather look at the bright side of things - just ignore this thread.

You are the moderator, but I was not ranting...

Rather, now that the top UFAs are signed and the amnesty cuts made, I was attempting to provide a reasoned assessment of where the team actually stands as we head into the 2013-14 season.

Why is it a rant to state that we lack a first line forward and center, a second line center, a no.1 d-man and a proven goalie? Why is it a rant to state that we are among the bottom 3 teams in the NHL? After all, we finished dead last in 2012-13. Can you name 3 teams that are worse in terms of talent?

My bottom line is that telling the truth is not negativity; it is honesty. If a patient is suffering from cancer, is it negative for a doctor to state that he/she is unhealthy?

Old
07-27-2013, 12:30 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Also, next year's draft appears to be a strong one, which might provide some solace to fans of a bottom finisher like I expect us to be.
Unfortunately, next year's draft is thought of to be very weak. I think you are thinking of 2 years down the road, with McDavid.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
LUUUUUIS
Herobrine is real

Quote:

Rather, now that the top UFAs are signed and the amnesty cuts made, I was attempting to provide a reasoned assessment of where the team actually stands as we head into the 2013-14 season.

Why is it a rant to state that we lack a first line forward and center, a second line center, a no.1 d-man and a proven goalie? Why is it a rant to state that we are among the bottom 3 teams in the NHL? After all, we finished dead last in 2012-13. Can you name 3 teams that are worse in terms of talent?

My bottom line is that telling the truth is not negativity; it is honesty. If a patient is suffering from cancer, is it negative for a doctor to state that he/she is unhealthy?
Cancer isn't usually debatable. Being one of the bottom three teams in the NHL certainly is open for discussion.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

Don't take offense as the word "rant" was not intended to have any emotional connotation to it.

The thread has always been called the "Rant" thread - your post just seemed the most appropriate starting point.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Cancer isn't usually debatable. Being one of the bottom three teams in the NHL certainly is open for discussion.
True, but being one of the bottom spending teams isn't.

You can easily spend a lot of money and put together a bad team .

On the other hand it's hard to field a good team if you don't spend.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Florida, Calgary and ?

Old
07-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Florida, Calgary and ?
We won't finish last unless there's a fire sale of some sort at the deadline, I don't see that happening. It's not a fact, much as you keep trying to make it out to be, that we're coming in last. Especially not in July.

07-27-2013, 02:40 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 116
Quote:
Florida, Calgary and ?
Buffalo is thought of by many to be the worst team in the league, as it is highly likely Vanek and Miller will be traded.

If this team stays healthy, it will be a decent club.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I'm not so optimistic about the upcoming season, but still excited. You never know in this league, anyone can beat anyone.

I think Mathias might hit 40-50 points this season if he gets enough ice-time. Had a good season last year, and should come into this season with more confidence.

Markström stealing some games.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:01 AM
pantherbot

The game is played on the ice, not on paper. The season starts in October, not in July, August, or even September.

Even if we go into the season with the same roster, if the guys bring effort in, we will be competitive. The problems we have had in the past are a lack of talent. You can argue that our team is inexperienced, but we do not lack talent. If the guys work hard, we will be competitive.

I also keep hearing how our ownership is being cheap and purposefully spending money, as if it was a fact. It's not a fact, it's speculation. None of the deals that have been signed so far this off season were good deals or would have worked for our team. We aren't overspending and we aren't a top tier free agent destination, just accept that already and you'll feel less discontent.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:35 AM
SufferingCatFan

Pantherbot: Weiss at $4.9 mm for 5 years seems reasonable.

CHGoalie: I too am a big Petrovic fan, but see him as a mid-season call up.

Panthersroock: Respectfully disagree regarding the quality of our D. Campbell regressed last year playing without a reliable pairing. We still have not replaced Garrisson. Guds, perhaps due to injury, disappointed last season as did Kulikov, who,however, remains a solid no. 3. Weaver is way too small for top 4 minutes and simply gets pushed around way too much, although he is great on penalty kill. Jovo is a shell of his former self and is coming back from surgery. The other 2 slots are up for grabs.

Laus: Unfortunately, I do expect us at the TDL to trade all 3 of our players on expiring contracts--Goc, Weaver and likely Kulikov, who I expect wants more $ to resign than we are willing to pay. I do agree that July is generally too early to issue dire predictions, since Tallon in theory could do some bargain shopping in August by bringing in a vet goalie (ex. Thomas), a dependable D-man (ex. Hainsey) etc. on short term contracts. But, IMO by issuing the "going with youth" statement, Tallon is signaling that he is not going that route.

All: Forgot to include Kopecky in my list of top 9 forwards, for which I apologize. It is interesting that 8 of our 9 top forward positions are already filled. Assuming that Barkov plays, there does not seem to be much room for our "youth" barring trades.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I don't understand bringing up Weiss by anyone, he was a free agent, he didn't want to stay. How's tht ownership/management's fault?

As its been with everyone, I believe if Petro makes the team, he makes it.

Soup didn't play poorly till later, it was clearly Guds' injury and quotes have him stating he was told to take it easy, Kuli is Kuli, Weaver is still steady, Jovo...sucks, and I said we'll see on the bottom pairing guy.

We may move those guys either way, none are huge impact players, doubt Kuli goes anywhere. Tallon said he'd make moves in August and there are still guys to be had. Names are popping up in the trade market due to cap restraints and dumb signings...give it time.

That's why I'm not sure why everyone is so up in arms about the youth. Maybe 3 slots taken.

Injuries wrecked us last season. Enormously. It caused a lot of trickle down problems. Again, don't see us finishing last at all, playoffs? Just short, unless Tallon works some magic.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:39 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't understand bringing up Weiss by anyone, he was a free agent, he didn't want to stay. How's tht ownership/management's fault?.
He wasn't given an offer-management/ownership's fault.

Quote:
As its been with everyone, I believe if Petro makes the team, he makes it.

Soup didn't play poorly till later, it was clearly Guds' injury and quotes have him stating he was told to take it easy, Kuli is Kuli, Weaver is still steady, Jovo...sucks, and I said we'll see on the bottom pairing guy.

We may move those guys either way, none are huge impact players, doubt Kuli goes anywhere. Tallon said he'd make moves in August and there are still guys to be had. Names are popping up in the trade market due to cap restraints and dumb signings...give it time.

That's why I'm not sure why everyone is so up in arms about the youth. Maybe 3 slots taken.

Injuries wrecked us last season. Enormously. It caused a lot of trickle down problems. Again, don't see us finishing last at all, playoffs? Just short, unless Tallon works some magic.
Can't say anything against the rest though. At all.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post

Wait, I thought he did negotiate with Tallon for a while. Isn't that what he and Tallon said?

Old
07-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Wait, I thought he did negotiate with Tallon for a while. Isn't that what he and Tallon said?
I heard they didn't get far enough to even talk about dollars. So either the years weren't right to continue discussions or Weiss just felt like moving on.

It really doesn't bother me that he decided to leave. I don't mind Weiss' new figures, tad high I think but I would have given that to him for his time & worth to the organization. However, I don't like the years. The kids are almost ready and 5 years is too long to keep a spot from one of them.

-ghoste

Old
07-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post

Can't say anything against the rest though. At all.
Still think that was largely due to Weiss' desire to move on more than anything. Iow: we need to stop pointing a finger at the owners/management (whether we like em or not) and saying, "Weiss! You didn't sign Weiss at that amount, ya cheap ********!"

They may be that, but he wanted out. Fair enough, thanks for all your years here, best of luck, hope you raise the Cup. Just don't think any amount would've brought him back.

Last edited by Laus723: 07-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old
07-28-2013, 02:17 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Still think that was largely due to Weiss' desire to move on more than anything. Iow: we need to stop pointing a finger at the owners/management (whether we like em or not) and saying, "Weiss! You didn't sign Weiss at that amount, ya cheap ********!"

They may be that, but he wanted out. Fair enough, thanks for all your years here, best of luck, hope you raise the Cup. Just don't think any amount would've brought him back.
couldn't have said it better myself

Old
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

I don't think that's true, but certainly no amount the Panthers would want to spend.

I have no problem with the decision not to re-sign Weiss.

It was the right call - a tough one - but the right call.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Perhaps, but I'm sure it's be well enough above what Detroit paid, which still means people shouldn't gripe about it, at least IMO.

Closed Thread