HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reilly Smith

Old
07-02-2015, 01:43 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Reilly Smith

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxguVX3dsMI

Finisher of plays. Need guys like this in FLA. Welcome!

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 01:48 AM
Juggernaut27
#CatsAreGolfing

Booyah!

Sweeney Don, butcher of Boston strikes again. I'll take this kid over Hayes any day.

Finally - a speedy, goal scoring RW.

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 01:49 AM
spacemanatee
TeamSESH

agreed. happy about the trade

spacemanatee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 02:09 AM
Knightmare

I've only seen the highlights, but I like the look of his game. He seems hockey smart...Quick and decisive when he shoots. Gets most of his goals by going to the net.

Knightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 07:25 AM
ShootIt

Think it was a good trade for both teams.

Boston dropped off some dead weight and Smith, who counted 3.4X against the cap.
Florida traded off an inconsistent, but improving middle 6 RW who may of been asking for too much.

I think Smith is the more polished player/higher upside. He does have some similar cons to Hayes, but I think as long as he can gel better with GG, then we should be fine moving forward.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 08:16 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Looks like he is effective on the PP which is good.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 08:22 AM
iam76

I remember watching this kid when he was on a tear two years ago. I felt with my hater bruins goggles on that he was getting lucky... Then you can see from bruin fans that they were less than pleased with his output last season. I have high hopes he can put it together and be a good player for us. But I wonder how much of a difference he will make? He does allow us 2 years to develop a kid if we so please.

iam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

The over/under on whether I consider Smith a successful acquisition:

1. 40 points
2. No healthy scratches

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 08:38 AM
spacemanatee
TeamSESH

he doesn't seem as fast as i'd hope

spacemanatee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

He seems like a new Brad Boyes. Nothing jumps out at me regarding his play, but he seems to be positionaly sound and supports his line mates. Doesn't seem like a player that can carry play on his own, but complementary.

If he can be better defensively than Hayes, and be a better possession player and also contribute a bit on the power play I think he works out for us.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 09:39 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
Booyah!

Sweeney Don, butcher of Boston strikes again. I'll take this kid over Hayes any day.

Finally - a speedy, goal scoring RW.
He's not speedy. Not sure why Tallon keeps saying he's some type of great skater. He's not..

He has very good hands and vision. those are his strengths. everywhere else, he's "meh".

that being said, he's a better player than Hayes. i think he could carve out a solid career of scoring 50-55 pts on a consistent basis as a complementary piece on the top 2 lines.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 09:46 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
He's not speedy. Not sure why Tallon keeps saying he's some type of great skater. He's not..

He has very good hands and vision. those are his strengths. everywhere else, he's "meh".

that being said, he's a better player than Hayes. i think he could carve out a solid career of scoring 50-55 pts on a consistent basis as a complementary piece on the top 2 lines.
If he does this, this would go down as one of Tallon's best trades.

Consistent 50-55 point scorers do not grow on trees

Old
07-02-2015, 09:50 AM
FLpanthers16
#CatsAreComing

FLpanthers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Jean Luc Discard

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
If he does this, this would go down as one of Tallon's best trades.

Consistent 50-55 point scorers do not grow on trees
Agreed. 50-55pts in a single season ain't a measly achievement; not to mention consecutive +50pt seasons.

Jean Luc Discard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Discard View Post
Agreed. 50-55pts in a single season ain't a measly achievement; not to mention consecutive +50pt seasons.
Just looked it up.

Scoring between 50-55 points last season puts you at #62-89 in the league in scoring.

Acquire a consistent top 100 scorer for Jimmy Hayes?

That would be awesome.

Old
07-02-2015, 10:51 AM
FlaPanthers11
#CatsAreComing

Let's remember that 55 points would top our team last year. High expectations only lead to disappointment. Let's start with expecting him to break 40 and see what we get from there.

FlaPanthers11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 10:57 AM
BigNickBjugstad

I'm pretty meh about this trade. Was hoping for a more established top 6 winger like Oshie. Of course he will cost more. Of course there is plenty more time to make trades. But if this is the only move, I have to admit I am slightly disappointed.

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 11:00 AM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:

I think you are going to be severely disappointed if that is your expectation.

Boyes scored 38 points and that is the production for a second line winger these days. If Smith scores 40 points, compliments Bjugstad and Pirri, and is decent defensively, then I think that will be a good start.

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 11:10 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers11 View Post
Let's remember that 55 points would top our team last year. High expectations only lead to disappointment. Let's start with expecting him to break 40 and see what we get from there.
I'm not expecting that kind of production - not even close (at least not consistently)

I was trying to point out that sometimes there can be unrealistic expectations of what a 2nd line player is supposed to be. A player who scores 40-50 points is a solid 2nd line forward. If Smith ends up a solid 2nd line player, Tallon did well.

Old
07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Brokin

Quote:
Well he'll never be compared to Kessel, but he has good NHL speed and some articles I have read say former GM Chiarelli considers him a very good skater. He's probably a little faster than Pirri. They say his stickwork is excellent. As a left handed shot he has no problem switching to RW and controlling a pass on his backhand without bobbling it. Was at 192 lbs but Boston wanted him leaner, so he came to camp at 182 and was much stronger and quicker than at 192. Plays at 185 for the most part and Chiarelli says he will give you good board work for a smaller guy. Sounds a little like Rocco in that area, as smaller guys need quickness and a solid work ethic.

Brokin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 11:32 AM
RainingRats

The trade was good except for the Savard part. Very good to sell Jimmy Hayes high and pick up a guy with a higher ceiling and a better overall player. I still think Hayes could pot 20 goals but his contract negotiations lead me to believe he'd leave eventually for free agency so it's good to move him now. Hopefully Smith had a sophomore slump. I am concerned he benefited from the quality of his line mates though.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 12:23 PM
HockeyRulez
The moves like Jagr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The trade was good except for the Savard part. Very good to sell Jimmy Hayes high and pick up a guy with a higher ceiling and a better overall player. I still think Hayes could pot 20 goals but his contract negotiations lead me to believe he'd leave eventually for free agency so it's good to move him now. Hopefully Smith had a sophomore slump. I am concerned he benefited from the quality of his line mates though.
I feel the same way. Smith is a bit better than Hayes but the difference between the two is not taking on Savard's contract.

I'm hoping Smith is good with us and that we still pick up another winger like Sharp.

HockeyRulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 12:26 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I am by no means a cap expert, but I have read that the Savard numbers no longer go against the cap after the season starts if he is put on LTIR.

Anyone know if this is the case?

If the cap hit goes away all we did was give Boston short term cap relief so they could overpay Belesky for his career season.

Old
07-02-2015, 12:29 PM
FLpanthers16
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I am by no means a cap expert, but I have read that the Savard numbers no longer go against the cap after the season starts if he is put on LTIR.

If the cap hit goes away all we did was give Boston short term cap relief so they could overpay Belesky for his career season.
Indeed you are right.

FLpanthers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2015, 12:30 PM
RainingRats

Quote:

The Belesky contract is fine. I don't think it's an overpayment. I thought it would be like a Bolland deal but it's totally reasonable for a quality third liner. I'm irritated that we let Boston improve, a team we will fight for a playoff spot.

The cap situation from us isn't an issue, we have plenty of space and it doesn't count.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote