HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keep/Fire Regier?

View Poll Results: You're Terry Pegula. Do you:
Keep Regier. 30 30.00%
Replace Regier. 51 51.00%
It's complicated (see below). 19 19.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
iknowphysics

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Keep/Fire Regier?

There's been a lot of discussion on this for quite a while, but I was curious to see some statistics on how we're feeling.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Here's me: BuhBye.

Here's you: Oh but my hands were tied by ownership, small market, blah biddy blah, whoopity doop.

Here's me: BuhBye. What part don't you understand? The Buh? Or the Bye? BuhBye.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
CaptPantalones

I voted replace, but if they go out and bring in a President like Patrick, im ok with regier being GM if hes not the final say

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

While I don't think Darcy was given full control and therefore cannot be fully responsible, I do think he has to go.

He does have a decent draft record, IMHO, in spite of Larry Quinn's gutting of the scouting department. He hasn't come out on the wrong side of many trades... other than the fliers he took on some trade deadline acquistions (Bernier, Moore, Torres).

But if the organization is going to be "rebranded" then serious changes must be made. At least this time, it won't just be new jerseys.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Let's face it - we're all just guessing about how much Regier was hamstrung by LQ and BTG. I think you need the inside story to know whether he should be retained. I won't be sorry to see him go, but I suspect that he's a better GM than he's given credit for around these parts.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
static80

I firmly believe Regier is looking at the end of the road for his tenure here in Buffalo.
13 seasons and no Championship Banners in the rafters at HSBC Arena has to be note worthy, the obstacles he faced during his tenure not withstanding.

He had his opportunity, and even if it was Quinn who ultimately pulled the rug out from under the team at the end of 07, there are many more examples in the franchise's 13 seasons under his stewardship deserving of scrutiny.

Terry Pegula is going to want to "Rebrand the Franchise" as he stated.
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Regier is gone.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
While I don't think Darcy was given full control and therefore cannot be fully responsible, I do think he has to go.

He does have a decent draft record, IMHO, in spite of Larry Quinn's gutting of the scouting department. He hasn't come out on the wrong side of many trades... other than the fliers he took on some trade deadline acquistions (Bernier, Moore, Torres).

But if the organization is going to be "rebranded" then serious changes must be made. At least this time, it won't just be new jerseys.
Pretty much all of those deals looked good at the time and were applauded on these boards.

Old
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I firmly believe Regier is looking at the end of the road for his tenure here in Buffalo.
13 seasons and no Championship Banners in the rafters at HSBC Arena has to be note worthy, the obstacles he faced during his tenure not withstanding.

He had his opportunity, and even if it was Quinn who ultimately pulled the rug out from under the team at the end of 07, there are many more examples in the franchise's 13 seasons under his stewardship deserving of scrutiny.

Terry Pegula is going to want to "Rebrand the Franchise" as he stated.
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Regier is gone.
I think there should be an asterix next to that statement. Deep down, I firmly believe we had a championship team in '06 and got squashed by crazy injuries/the Buffalo jinx.

Old
02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Pretty much all of those deals looked good at the time and were applauded on these boards.
By some, but not all.

The Moore and Torres deals were never going to be enough, even if they would have panned out.

They were hand-waving distractions more than genuine efforts to improve.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
joshjull

Do I get a bumper sticker regardless of how I vote?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Pengo

I really, really hope Regier doesn't trade our 2nd for Arnott or someone like that this season. He should have learned after the Moore flop to be more wary about trading our 2nd.

The Bernier trade was fine because we also got a 1st, and we got a good return for Bernier after that.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
By some, but not all.

The Moore and Torres deals were never going to be enough, even if they would have panned out.

They were hand-waving distractions more than genuine efforts to improve.
Moore was an overpayment to be sure. But the Torres addition was almost universally applauded. Most thought he was exactly what we needed for the playoffs. He also had more goals than any other player traded on deadline day, so you could argue he was the best forward available and the Sabres got him.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Pengo

Anyway, I would let him go/demote him. While he may have had his hands tied by ownership, he was obviously fine with that (he just signed an extension, after all).

The best word to describe Regier is "bland." The team needs to go in a different direction.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:04 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Anyway, I would let him go/demote him. While he may have had his hands tied by ownership, he was obviously fine with that (he just signed an extension, after all).

The best word to describe Regier is "bland." The team needs to go in a different direction.
Darcy is definitely one of the most conservative GMs in the league, which is not always a good strategy. More importantly for many of us, however, it is the opposite of what fans on a hockey message board -- all of whom would kill for his job -- want to do. We spend all day making fantasy deals because it is fun. Some of them are good ideas, some are bad, and many are insane, but they are fun. Darcy is no fun because he doesn't make enough bold moves. That makes him look worse to us than he actually is.

(Again, I won't be sorry to see him go, but I'd rather have his blandness than Sather's bold moves any day.)

Old
02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'd rather have his blandness than Sather's bold moves any day.
Sather is amazing at winning trades though. He wins just about every trade he makes. His problem is FA signings, but he's been able to trade/waive away all of his mistakes. While it's not going to happen, I would take Sather as our GM without question. And since Buffalo can't get any FAs, his main weakness would be nullified.

That's another reason I would love Messier as our GM, because he's been learning under Sather. But we can discuss that in another thread.

Old
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
I'm in favor of riding out the contract. Not only does it give Darcy a chance to try working with little or no restrictions, but it looks better for the cream of the crop replacement candidates. It's doubtful that the best of the best would want to join a desperate franchise that signs contracts and jettisons employees before they're finished.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Sabretip

While it's very tempting to invoke chaos by dumping Regier before the end of the season and installing some temporary GM in his place, I suspect Pegula is more inclined to ride out the rest of the season with him and then send him packing after the season, when he has more time to find the right - and permanent - replacement as GM. This organization has tried the quick and cheap fix too often in the past - I'd rather see them make changes intelligently and rationally.

As many have noted, there's also some benefit potentially to waiting til the offseason, when more candidates (i.e. Dudley) may become available than are now. Plus, with Regier having his extension in his pocket, it's not like the Sabres would be saving any money in axing him now versus in May.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

I'm fine with giving him one more season. I think with Pegula taking over he'll have more room to make necessary moves. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with this existing team when he has an owner that cares about winning.

Ive liked a lot of the moves he has made and think under his regime they have drafted a lot of good players. There has been some duds like others stated ( Torres, Moore) but he usually gets the good end of a deal.

I dont think this team he has built is to far away from been a solid contender every year. They have some really good pieces in place but are in obvious need of a true #1 center.

CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
CowbellConray

I feel that this trade deadline will be very important for the future of the franchise let alone Regier.

I feel that this is the time where regier can look to make a big move to aqquire someone that can really give us a push, or sell big time (I dont think we will at all) and we have some tradable assets. We have a ton of Dmen that we can trade, and we have a new owner that wants to win. If Darcy is able to work the phones and bring in a strong asset for this year and the future (Top Six Center ) then I think Pegula will keep him.

I personally want to see what could be brought in with the extra 3 million in cap space that Regier can spend at the offseason.

No matter what, it will be a very interesting trade deadline...

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
No question, he needs to go.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Goodbye, Regier.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
icehound

Gone.

If you must ask why? See the last dozen seasons - Winners get extensions. Pathetic, cowardly losers get the axe.

Bye, Darcy - You brown-nosing, lazy, complacent POS.

icehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Sather is amazing at winning trades though. He wins just about every trade he makes. His problem is FA signings, but he's been able to trade/waive away all of his mistakes. While it's not going to happen, I would take Sather as our GM without question. And since Buffalo can't get any FAs, his main weakness would be nullified.

That's another reason I would love Messier as our GM, because he's been learning under Sather. But we can discuss that in another thread.
Sather has had no success at all with the Rangers. They've missed the playoffs in 5 out of the 9 seasons under his watch -- including 4 with no salary cap where they outspent almost every other team. They've never finished higher than 3rd in their division, and they have never made it past the conference semi-finals. Yeah, he's great. Sign him right up.

2000-01 - #1 payroll
2001-02 - #2 payroll
2002-03 - #1 payroll ($76.5M - compared to $28.2M for Sabres!)
2003-04 - #2 payroll

Old
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Pengo

The current team he built is very promising and appears to have a very bright future.

I guess he has a different philosophy post-lockout?

Old
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
The current team he built is very promising and appears to have a very bright future.

I guess he has a different philosophy post-lockout?
His teams have won two playoff series in nine seasons. As Dire Wolf stated, his teams haven't even made an EC Finals. He's like a poor man's Regier...except he's been able to spend way more than Regier. And he also has the benefit of burying $6 mil mistakes in Hartford (Redden), as well as having players recognize when it's their time to retire and thereby save the team $4 mil (Naslund). His teams are at or near the cap in most seasons. And he works in one of the most attractive markets in the league. Yet he hasn't won jack.

Sather has drafted well, so you have to give him his due in that regard. But Sather has done less to stay in his job than Regier. If you'll recall, there was a rally at MSG calling for his termination last summer.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote