HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Eminger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2011, 08:06 AM
  #1
TrueBlueJoe89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Steve Eminger

I have to believe that the Rangers are shopping Del Zotto, because there is zero reason for Eminger to be out of the lineup for so long. I think all of us have been surprised by the over achieving Eminger, but the defense looked more close knit with him there. The D has looked skittish since he has been out. I think we can all point to a few things as to why are on our current skid, but having Eminger in the lineup over MDZ would be the first easy change I would make.

MDZ needs to finish the year in CT, I think the kid just needs time to develop. I would by no means trade him now and give up on him(unless we bring in a proven good player). Throwing him out there with low confidence while the team is struggling overall is not fair to him and the team.

Prior to the All-Star break Torts had been flexible(because he had to) and lacked his all to famous stubbornness. Lately the old Torts seems to be coming out. This may just be management on his back(forcing him to play MDZ). Something has to give, because we will fall out of playoff contention if changes are not made.

Heading into the trade deadline I would make these moves:

1. I would call up Minnesota and inquire about Pierre-Marc Bouchard. The guy seems to have recovered nicely from his concussion and has put up 18 points in 31 games this season. He could be a nice pivot in the interim between Gaborik and would still give us flexibility moving forward in the event we could sign Richards. He has 2 more years left on his contract at just over 4 million.

2. I would inquire about Eric Brewer over say Kaberle. Brewer is an impending UFA and has a nice shot from the point. He would also calm the defense down and provide a nice veteran presence moving forward. I think we need a guy who can hammer the puck from the point and just get the puck to the net. Kaberle an an option scares me a little, but something needs to be done to address the point.

3. If healthy Ales Hemsky would give us another offensive threat in addition to Gaborik(if he wakes up) and even Wolski. Hemsky is a player either you love or hate, but I think a good team needs depth when it comes to offensive weapons. This current Rangers team has nice depth, but many of the players are 3rd/4th line grinders which don't equate to goals on the scoreboard.

I am not going to speculate on who I would trade to get these 3 players, but addressing these needs would help us moving forward. I also would not rule out entirely moving some of our youth to make these moves.


Last edited by TrueBlueJoe89: 02-12-2011 at 08:11 AM.
TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:23 AM
  #2
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
The Steve Eminger situation is just strange. He was a whipping boy at the beginning of the season, like any non-homegrown defenseman seems to be these days. But a funny thing happened on the way to running Eminger out of town, he started playing pretty well. I just dont understand why hes been cast aside in favor of Matt Gilroy, whose still trying to find his footing in the NHL at age 26, and Michael Del Zotto, who has promise but it literally embarassing himself out there lately.

As for your trade proposals, no to 1 and 3. Players like Bouchard and Hemsky are pretty redundant, and I dont think they'd help much considering what you'd have to give up in the first place.

Bringing in a guy like Brewer or McCabe for a pick makes sense. A defense of:

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonagh
Eminger-McCabe/Brewer

would be a hell of a lot better than the Gilroy/Del Zotto third pair we're treading out there every night nowadays.

Then again, this team still cant score goals, so whats the difference?

Through an 82 game season, talent is always going to rise to the top. It was nice to see a team working their ass off for the first half of the season, but when you lack top end talent like this team does - things even out.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:25 AM
  #3
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,406
vCash: 500
Del Zotto is 20 and the only young offensive Dman so they want him to do well. I really doubt they preach youth then trade youth its as simple as that

Eminger has done well this yr but before that the guy was playing himself out of the league. Good for him but he is not the future he is a 6/7 guy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:25 AM
  #4
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
I have to believe that the Rangers are shopping Del Zotto, because there is zero reason for Eminger to be out of the lineup for so long. I think all of us have been surprised by the over achieving Eminger, but the defense looked more close knit with him there. The D has looked skittish since he has been out. I think we can all point to a few things as to why are on our current skid, but having Eminger in the lineup over MDZ would be the first easy change I would make.

MDZ needs to finish the year in CT, I think the kid just needs time to develop. I would by no means trade him now and give up on him(unless we bring in a proven good player). Throwing him out there with low confidence while the team is struggling overall is not fair to him and the team.

Prior to the All-Star break Torts had been flexible(because he had to) and lacked his all to famous stubbornness. Lately the old Torts seems to be coming out. This may just be management on his back(forcing him to play MDZ). Something has to give, because we will fall out of playoff contention if changes are not made.

Heading into the trade deadline I would make these moves:

1. I would call up Minnesota and inquire about Pierre-Marc Bouchard. The guy seems to have recovered nicely from his concussion and has put up 18 points in 31 games this season. He could be a nice pivot in the interim between Gaborik and would still give us flexibility moving forward in the event we could sign Richards. He has 2 more years left on his contract at just over 4 million.

2. I would inquire about Eric Brewer over say Kaberle. Brewer is an impending UFA and has a nice shot from the point. He would also calm the defense down and provide a nice veteran presence moving forward. I think we need a guy who can hammer the puck from the point and just get the puck to the net. Kaberle an an option scares me a little, but something needs to be done to address the point.

3. If healthy Ales Hemsky would give us another offensive threat in addition to Gaborik(if he wakes up) and even Wolski. Hemsky is a player either you love or hate, but I think a good team needs depth when it comes to offensive weapons. This current Rangers team has nice depth, but many of the players are 3rd/4th line grinders which don't equate to goals on the scoreboard.

I am not going to speculate on who I would trade to get these 3 players, but addressing these needs would help us moving forward. I also would not rule out entirely moving some of our youth to make these moves.

id take Brewer over Kaberle. Brewer more physical and better defensively and has 8 goals while Kaberle has 3 but he also has 33 assist and much more expensive in a trade. i think something can be done maybe Brewer for Gilroy and Weise

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
  #5
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
I like bouchard...but 4 mil Jamms up the team web it comes to next season. He could be avail though. With the relationship between the two clubs I wouldn't rule out a deal
with Minne. What about Bruno? Wasent he gaboriks linemate in Minne? Heard good things about him A's a teamate. Guess he's a little older though.

Brewer is interesting. Add some leadership maybe. Could be available with all the depth on the defennse there.

Hemsky scarred me. I don't like it at
it all all.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:28 AM
  #6
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Del Zotto is 20 and the only young offensive Dman so they want him to do well. I really doubt they preach youth then trade youth its as simple as that

Yea but you can't win with "just" youth. This team doesnt have enough skill, leadership, something. Someones gotta go to acquire the missing pieces.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
  #7
TrueBlueJoe89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Steve Eminger situation is just strange. He was a whipping boy at the beginning of the season, like any non-homegrown defenseman seems to be these days. But a funny thing happened on the way to running Eminger out of town, he started playing pretty well. I just dont understand why hes been cast aside in favor of Matt Gilroy, whose still trying to find his footing in the NHL at age 26, and Michael Del Zotto, who has promise but it literally embarassing himself out there lately.

As for your trade proposals, no to 1 and 3. Players like Bouchard and Hemsky are pretty redundant, and I dont think they'd help much considering what you'd have to give up in the first place.

Bringing in a guy like Brewer or McCabe for a pick makes sense. A defense of:

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonagh
Eminger-McCabe/Brewer

would be a hell of a lot better than the Gilroy/Del Zotto third pair we're treading out there every night nowadays.

Then again, this team still cant score goals, so whats the difference?

Through an 82 game season, talent is always going to rise to the top. It was nice to see a team working their ass off for the first half of the season, but when you lack top end talent like this team does - things even out.
A player like Bouchard could turn into a less expensive option as a pivot for Gaborik. The price for him would not be to high(I'm guessing) since he has money + time left on his contract.

On Hemsky, definitely would not be redundant, but I agree that we would for sure we would have to pay a nice price to acquire him.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
  #8
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I like bouchard...but 4 mil Jamms up the team web it comes to next season. He could be avail though. With the relationship between the two clubs I wouldn't rule out a deal
with Minne. What about Bruno? Wasent he gaboriks linemate in Minne? Heard good things about him A's a teamate. Guess he's a little older though.

Brewer is interesting. Add some leadership maybe. Could be available with all the depth on the defennse there.

Hemsky scarred me. I don't like it at
it all all.

what about a guy like Ryan Clowe who is also rumored to be available.

he would add more size up front and grit. 6'3 215. can score 20 goals.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
  #9
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Del Zotto is 20 and the only young offensive Dman so they want him to do well. I really doubt they preach youth then trade youth its as simple as that

Eminger has done well this yr but before that the guy was playing himself out of the league. Good for him but he is not the future he is a 6/7 guy
Michael Del Zotto is not even playing like a 6/7 guy right now. Its embarassing to watch, and he shouldnt be up if his confidence is going to continue to get shattered like it has been over the last year and a half.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:32 AM
  #10
TrueBlueJoe89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I like bouchard...but 4 mil Jamms up the team web it comes to next season. He could be avail though. With the relationship between the two clubs I wouldn't rule out a deal
with Minne. What about Bruno? Wasent he gaboriks linemate in Minne? Heard good things about him A's a teamate. Guess he's a little older though.

Brewer is interesting. Add some leadership maybe. Could be available with all the depth on the defennse there.

Hemsky scarred me. I don't like it at
it all all.
Its either you hate or love Hemsky. I am sort of mixed on Hemsky, but he would give us some nice offensive minded depth. On Brunette, I really don't see how he would help us enough.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:33 AM
  #11
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
A player like Bouchard could turn into a less expensive option as a pivot for Gaborik. The price for him would not be to high(I'm guessing) since he has money + time left on his contract.

On Hemsky, definitely would not be redundant, but I agree that we would for sure we would have to pay a nice price to acquire him.
Penny pinching on finding a center for Gaborik is an idea thats gaining steam around here and its scary to see. If you're going to try to save a few million while trading for a player like Bouchard or Stephen Weiss, you might as well not do anything and hope for Stepan and Anisimov to continue developing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:34 AM
  #12
TrueBlueJoe89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Penny pinching on finding a center for Gaborik is an idea thats gaining steam around here and its scary to see. If you're going to try to save a few million while trading for a player like Bouchard or Stephen Weiss, you might as well not do anything and hope for Stepan and Anisimov to continue developing.
Bouchard is a helluva player when he is on his game. He makes 4 million a season, not exactly penny pinching....haha

Having Eric Christensen center Gaborik is penny pinching.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
  #13
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJoe89 View Post
Bouchard is a helluva player when he is on his game. He makes 4 million a season, not exactly penny pinching....haha

Having Eric Christensen center Gaborik is penny pinching.
Bouchard's a pretty solid playmaker, but has only scored more than 60 points once and has been beset by injuries.

Why would we give up assets for that, when we could just give a couple million more to Brad Richards, a far superior player?

You're right Erik Christensen is penny-pinching to an embarassing level, but a mid-level 1B center isnt going to help much. We need to hit a homerun there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
  #14
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
I got to hand it to Steve Eminger. While he started the season shaky, he probably wasn't nearly as bad as posters on HF proclaimed him to be. But I believe it was more of a reaction of him playing over a scratched Sauer.

Then, when he got paired with Sauer, they quickly became a really solid pairing. No created wonders offensively, but they held the fort defensively and were both physical.

How he is scrathed in favour of either Gilroy or Del Zotto is a real headscratcher. No one knows but Torts.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
  #15
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
As much as I hated Renney's reluctance to play a kid instead of a failing veteran, I don't like Tortorella's standard line of 'committing to the future.' The best guy should be given the green light, earn your minutes. Committment to youth should be the job of the GM, not the coach. "Old bones" Eminger earned his minutes, and frankly I don't understand handicapping the defense while we are in a rut of losing 1 goal games. If we are willing to live and die by the youth, we should move everyone that doesn't factor into our long term plans and do it the right way.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
  #16
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Steve Eminger situation is just strange. He was a whipping boy at the beginning of the season, like any non-homegrown defenseman seems to be these days. But a funny thing happened on the way to running Eminger out of town, he started playing pretty well. I just dont understand why hes been cast aside in favor of Matt Gilroy, whose still trying to find his footing in the NHL at age 26, and Michael Del Zotto, who has promise but it literally embarassing himself out there lately.

As for your trade proposals, no to 1 and 3. Players like Bouchard and Hemsky are pretty redundant, and I dont think they'd help much considering what you'd have to give up in the first place.

Bringing in a guy like Brewer or McCabe for a pick makes sense. A defense of:

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonagh
Eminger-McCabe/Brewer

would be a hell of a lot better than the Gilroy/Del Zotto third pair we're treading out there every night nowadays.

Then again, this team still cant score goals, so whats the difference?

Through an 82 game season, talent is always going to rise to the top. It was nice to see a team working their ass off for the first half of the season, but when you lack top end talent like this team does - things even out.
NO on McCabe, YES on sending one of the *****cat youngsters away for Eminger who I was getting a (surprising) supreme amount of enjoyment out of!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
  #17
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
The main reason Eminger is out and Del Zotto is in, is because we have too many RHD.

Del Zotto is a lefty, and plays the left side.

Eminger and Gilroy are righties, and play the right side better then they do the left.

Eminger should be in Gilroy's spot after the game last night.

And Del Zotto-Gilroy should never have been a pair to begin with.

Del Zotto isn't NHL ready right now. Maybe Valentenko should get a chance. Otherwise a cheap LHD needs to be acquired.

Trading Del Zotto when he's 20 and scored 30+ points as a 19 year old, would not be very smart. Unless the player we are getting is cleary an upgrade for longer then just the remainder of this season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
  #18
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,510
vCash: 500
So we're "shopping" a player who's playing like ****?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
  #19
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people
 
Brendan Shanahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Sophomore slump. That is all. Tyler Myers isn't as hot as he was last season as well although he has been playing better than MDZ. Just let him develop and make sure he knows that he is not playing up to his potential. They have to get that through his skull. If off ice issues are the problem, then the city is definitely the problem and then we might be in some trouble unless his best friend Boyle helps him out.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
  #20
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 500
Turns out, according to Andrew Gross' report from practice, that Eminger is back in the lineup tomorrow.

And, as far as I'm concerned, Eminger deserved to sit--he was playing very poorly for the last 4-5 games he was in the lineup. He has to keep his game simple: clear the crease, make the safe pass out of the defensive zone and allow his partner freedom to move up the ice.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
  #21
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Turns out, according to Andrew Gross' report from practice, that Eminger is back in the lineup tomorrow.

And, as far as I'm concerned, Eminger deserved to sit--he was playing very poorly for the last 4-5 games he was in the lineup. He has to keep his game simple: clear the crease, make the safe pass out of the defensive zone and allow his partner freedom to move up the ice.
Eminger -8 , he came back to earth and is what he is a 6-7 D man . Del Zotto is now mi nus 5 and all the Haters as much as he is not physical , and his offense hasnt been what we hope is +5 . aside from a bad break when AA turned the puck over and he fell getting back he has consistently played as good as anythird pair D man on most teams in the NHl and at times has kept a lot of play alive in the offensive zone , does not take a lot of penalties and has earned his spot in the lineup . He also has the abiltiy to play both sides of the ice something eminger MDZ and even Sauer cant do .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:41 AM
  #22
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
If you really believed Del Zotto is being shopped...

You can't get anything of value for a player in a slump as bad as he is in, especially a slumping prospect.

You keep Del Zotto, with the belief and hope that he will rebound back to what he was last year, and then improve even further.

Plain and simply, Eminger, is not the answer, he'll be gone next year in all likelihood, as he will be replaced by Del Zotto and another veteran dman in the lineup.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
  #23
Blueblood 2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
V-TANK brings a little jam. Just what Torts like when he gets irritated like he is now. Give him a little Garden time!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
  #24
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,517
vCash: 566
The team is going with youth, you don't give up anything of value for a plug. I'm okay with any deal so long as it doesn't move a long term assets for a short term solution.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
  #25
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,822
vCash: 659
4:08 for Eminger today; Torts has clearly lost faith in him

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.