HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #56 @ Detroit Red Wings

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #56 @ Detroit Red Wings
Sean Avery 57 57.00%
Martin Biron 8 8.00%
Brandon Dubinsky 3 3.00%
Matt Gilroy 1 1.00%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Ryan McDonagh 24 24.00%
Michael Sauer 0 0%
Marc Staal 1 1.00%
Derek Stepan 1 1.00%
Wojtek Wolski 0 0%
Other 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Any way we can clone Brian Leetch? I loved the guy when he played... as the years go by, I just appreciate his game more and more..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I blame Chris Drury.

I think the only place to go from here is to fire Renney and Pern.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Accidentally voted Biron but Avery was by far the MOTM. I haven't exactly been the biggest supporter of him the past month or so but the last two or three games, he's been one of our best forwards.

Mint Berry Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Accidentally voted Biron but Avery was by far the MOTM. I haven't exactly been the biggest supporter of him the past month or so but the last two or three games, he's been one of our best forwards.
I agree and he will be rewarded accordingly as he has in the past.....

With 4th line minutes alla the John torterella theory.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:18 AM
mullichicken25

lot of votes for MCD

i thought he played well but was directly responsible for the 1st goal

boyle shouldn't have turned puck over, but if MCD was in position that goal doesnt happen

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:29 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I blame Chris Drury.

I think the only place to go from here is to fire Renney and Pern.
It's funny, but reading thisjust reminded me that none of the problems under Renney have been corrected...

constantly juggled lines with little chemistry
poor scoring
no powerplay
limited offense from the blueline
defense lacks grit

now some have improved marginally,
and the team is younger and provides a more consistent effort which I appluad

but FIX SOMETHING ALREADY

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
It's funny, but reading thisjust reminded me that none of the problems under Renney have been corrected...

poor scoring
no powerplay
defense lacks grit

Funny thing is that Torts plays Renney hockey for awhile and people still expect the team to be much different. Last time we play Torts hockey we miss the playoffs. Torts undeniable accomplishment is that he made this team to play Renneys hockey hard, something Renney couldn't do for more than a month or so. Well, the lack of true elite talent Renney suffered from didn't go away. Once the team lost Jagr to shoulder injury, it sucked. Same with Gaborik's busted shoulder.
Lundqvist kept us afloat up until he slumped both times.
The only difference is that Boyle line is Better than Betts line. But after Feds injury it became apparent that his absemce killed the chemistry. We need Feds back more than needed Callahan.

Last edited by 94now: 02-08-2011 at 07:47 AM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

poor scoring
no powerplay
defense lacks grit

Tortorella has the same problem that Renney did: Not enough skill. That's an organizational problem that trickles down, so I can't really blame either coach.

I like where the team is going, and I like that we're finally getting the young guys involved. However, dump and chase hockey isn't Marian Gaborik hockey, and that's becoming more and more apparent. He's not a grind-it-out forward, he's a high speed, open ice, skill forward. He needs guys on his line who can get him the puck and make space for him. He also needs guys who can hit him with accurate passes on the break out. Our D can't do that consistently.

That being said, I think he's nursing another injury. He doesn't look as fast as he usually does -- heck, just about everything he does seems to be a step or two behind his usual pace.

I don't think we played badly last night, I just think we're lacking that consistent 60-minute effort that got us through the first half of the year. Couple that with the fact that our lineup is rife with inexperience, and you have to expect this kind of slump. Sauer, McDonagh, Stepan, and MZA are all playing HUGE roles on this team, and they're all rookies. I'm certainly not faulting them -- I think they've all been fantastic, McD is really showing us why he was so highly touted as a prospect and Sauer is realizing all that potential he has -- but you can't reasonably expect 1st year players to carry the team to the promised land.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Last night was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched.

The Rangers dominated the Red Wings for stretches and Howard was playing like garbage and they still couldnt beat him. How he pulled out a 40+ save performance is the simple product of the lack of skill and finishing on this team right now.

Early on in the game the Rangers came out flying and the Wings were flat. The Rangers had at least 7 quality scoring chances in the first dozen minutes or so, with multiple open looks from the slot and couldnt convert. I was saying to myself you better get one here because if you dont the Wings are going to get it going and score. And of course the Rangers couldnt get it done- IMO the chances of getting two points after that took a serious nose dive.

All in all the Rangers played another solid game, got good goaltending, only a few mental errors. The played the forecheck well and when Detroit came at them they kept them at bay for the most part. There was a sequence when the Wings really possessed the puck but it wasnt long. Thats what i was expecting a majority of the game. Instead the Rangers carried the majority of the play imo, and they came out with nothing. Thats uber disappointing to me, because you HAVE to take advantage of a good team when they arent at their best.

Gaborik to me right now is sticking out like a sore thumb. Hell, even Wolski is all over the place and buying into the system. On more than one occasion (one being a huge one on the 5 on 3) Gaborik lazily played the man and his stick and it lead to a turnover and clear. The battle level is almost non-existent. He turns it on for about 4 seconds and then its gone.

Pierre McGuire said Gabby is one of "the 5 best one-on-one players in the league".... uh what have you been watching? Video from 4 years ago? Because i dont see it. He cant even GET to the slot, let alone let a shot go from there. I hate to bury the guy but if he scores even 1 goal in the last 5 games, the Rangers are probably not in this 5 game losing streak.

I was an ultra, ultra pissed Rangers fan last night.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
lot of votes for MCD

i thought he played well but was directly responsible for the 1st goal

boyle shouldn't have turned puck over, but if MCD was in position that goal doesnt happen
Boyle turns it over, Avery picks up Datsyuk coming out of the corner and then he gets the first shot. It would have been great if Aves or McD would have gotten Datsyk's stick but he is a magician. I give everyone but Boyle a pass on this one. That puck should have never come out of the corner so easily with the Wings in possession. Boyle is starting to look like... Boyle

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I blame Chris Drury.
Don't steal my line!

02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Don't steal my line!
I was expanding on it to include Tom Renney.

Old
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I was expanding on it to include Tom Renney.
Touche.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Johnny Law

I don't get to watch alot of Ranger games but wow you have alot of nice underrated D-men. They made lots of nice plays and for long stretches had the Wings pinned in.

Be easy on Gaborik, your PP can barely enter the zone and that isn't his fault.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Bookkeeping note: the second assist on Stepan's goal was changed from Zuccarello to Wolski.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

You cant blame Biron for the 2nd one. Who you can blame though is Gaborik for being out of position when he should have been playing tighter on his man instead of worrying about the red wing who had the puck to his left and had a ranger in front of him. Gaborik left so much space between him and his man that it made for an easy cross ice pass to Hudler (who is having an awful season) to score.

You dont blame Biron. You blame once again the PP. They were the reason we lost. 5-on-3 yet again that we could do nothing with. Just brutal. Its an atrocity watching them on the PP. We should start declining the PP. At least then itd be less demoralizing when we dont score.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Tortorella has the same problem that Renney did: Not enough skill. That's an organizational problem that trickles down, so I can't really blame either coach.

I like where the team is going, and I like that we're finally getting the young guys involved. However, dump and chase hockey isn't Marian Gaborik hockey, and that's becoming more and more apparent. He's not a grind-it-out forward, he's a high speed, open ice, skill forward. He needs guys on his line who can get him the puck and make space for him. He also needs guys who can hit him with accurate passes on the break out. Our D can't do that consistently.

That being said, I think he's nursing another injury. He doesn't look as fast as he usually does -- heck, just about everything he does seems to be a step or two behind his usual pace.

I don't think we played badly last night, I just think we're lacking that consistent 60-minute effort that got us through the first half of the year. Couple that with the fact that our lineup is rife with inexperience, and you have to expect this kind of slump. Sauer, McDonagh, Stepan, and MZA are all playing HUGE roles on this team, and they're all rookies. I'm certainly not faulting them -- I think they've all been fantastic, McD is really showing us why he was so highly touted as a prospect and Sauer is realizing all that potential he has -- but you can't reasonably expect 1st year players to carry the team to the promised land.
I basically agree with all you said except for the bolded part. Only because I think if he was banged up and trying to play through, Torts would be a little less vocal about his displeasure with him. Now if he's banged up and not telling anyone, thats on him, as its become obvious that he's been ineffective and if its because of injury, than sit and get healthy, cus we need him healthy.

Personally I think he's just deflated. I feel like he must think he can do nothing right, and the coach is probably wearing on him. He's being setup to fail in this current system, like you alluded too, and until he isn't playing with 3rd liners and grinders anymore I expect no different.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying Torts system cant work with Gaborik, I just think for it to work with Gaborik he needs more skill, just like you said.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Not for nothing but Gabs actually played GOOD D last year. I don't mean good for him I mean flat out good D. He helped himself get the puck more by playing all out every shift both ways. He was more involved in the game too. This year I see no defense out of him whatsoever and I don't think his O struggles are a coincidence. Odd as it might be the less involved and less he tries defensively the less he does on O.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Funny thing is that Torts plays Renney hockey for awhile and people still expect the team to be much different. Last time we play Torts hockey we miss the playoffs. Torts undeniable accomplishment is that he made this team to play Renneys hockey hard, something Renney couldn't do for more than a month or so. Well, the lack of true elite talent Renney suffered from didn't go away. Once the team lost Jagr to shoulder injury, it sucked. Same with Gaborik's busted shoulder.
Lundqvist kept us afloat up until he slumped both times.
The only difference is that Boyle line is Better than Betts line. But after Feds injury it became apparent that his absemce killed the chemistry. We need Feds back more than needed Callahan.
I think alot of what your saying is fair, I just cant get on board with the Feds and Callahan thing though. I think this team is so delicately balanced because of its lack of talent, that JUST ABOUT ANY MIX OF PLAYERS OUT OF THE LINEUP AND THE HOUSE OF CARDS CRUMBLES.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

outside of the PP, i thought we played a pretty good game against a ridiculously awesome team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You cant blame Biron for the 2nd one. Who you can blame though is Gaborik for being out of position when he should have been playing tighter on his man instead of worrying about the red wing who had the puck to his left and had a ranger in front of him. Gaborik left so much space between him and his man that it made for an easy cross ice pass to Hudler (who is having an awful season) to score.

You dont blame Biron. You blame once again the PP. They were the reason we lost. 5-on-3 yet again that we could do nothing with. Just brutal. Its an atrocity watching them on the PP. We should start declining the PP. At least then itd be less demoralizing when we dont score.
I dunno, Tortorella placed the blame on Dubi for that one.

02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I basically agree with all you said except for the bolded part. Only because I think if he was banged up and trying to play through, Torts would be a little less vocal about his displeasure with him. Now if he's banged up and not telling anyone, thats on him, as its become obvious that he's been ineffective and if its because of injury, than sit and get healthy, cus we need him healthy.

Personally I think he's just deflated. I feel like he must think he can do nothing right, and the coach is probably wearing on him. He's being setup to fail in this current system, like you alluded too, and until he isn't playing with 3rd liners and grinders anymore I expect no different.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying Torts system cant work with Gaborik, I just think for it to work with Gaborik he needs more skill, just like you said.
You might have a point there. Though I suppose there's the possibility for him just not mentioning the soreness to Torts.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
outside of the PP, i thought we played a pretty good game against a ridiculously awesome team.
Lazy Inferno. I was disappointed at the lack of a postgame report.

Articles updated.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Lazy Inferno. I was disappointed at the lack of a postgame report.

Articles updated.
u have no idea how tired i am. i was literally watching that truck burn to the ground for 5 hours, then waited while they cleared up room for us to move. it was ridiculous. 7+ hours on the freeway because some idiot decides to drive on the highway in the wrong direction

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
This team is pathetic. We need to get rid of players like Gaborik. We don't need Prospal or Gaborik. Keep Wolski. Stay with the youth. Gaborik needs a center to play with. We don't need players like that.
That is so true! Why keep last seasons two best players point wise? That is ********! And Gaborik desperately needs an all-star-center, otherwise he won't score! Like last year when he had superstar Eric Christensen centering him and still he could only net 42 goals. Yeah, we sure don't need him.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote