HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Dumba is listed anywhere from 5'10 to 5'11 ranging from 165 lbs to 175 lbs. This is a small player. With the physical way he plays the game he wont last long in the NHL. Perhaps he may have a growth spurt and get to 6'0 190 lbs in the NHL. However, even at that size this is still small for an NHL defenseman. I cannot see a team taking this huge risk with Dumba's size in the top 5.
What do you mean by the "physical way he plays the game"?

You do realize that he's not an overly physical player, aside from the odd open ice hit he tries to make. And if you look at guys like Stephane Robidas and Francis Boullion, they are both smaller guys that are still physical.....

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Let me say this, I was dead set against the thought that the JETS may draft Dumba. If defense was their target I would prefer that they go with Trouba, Reilly, Reinhart or Ceci.

Now, the more I think about it, if the JETS felt he was the BPA at #9, I could live with it. What's changed my view? I see his skill set as an overall comparison to Nicklas Kronwall. IIRC, when Kronwall was drafted, he to was quite slight. Now, at only 190, nobody talks about Kronwall's size as a detriment, especially those on the wrong side of being "KRONWALLED" at the offensive blue line.

Granted, Kronwall got to learn from one of the best defensemen to ever play the game in Lidstrom, but I am starting to feel if an organization feels they can get him on a program to add 20 lbs of muscle and reign in some of his wildness, he will be a great addition.

His hockey sense is not necessarily poor, he just needs a little maturing and good coaching. Bottom line is the guy has intangibles that just cannot be taught.

If he's as solid on his skates as some scouting reports suggest, with some added weigh and muscle, he will be like a tank.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:36 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
The good and the bad of Dumba was on display at the U18s today.

Beauty shot on his goal. Poor defensive IQ and positioning on the 3rd goal for the US.
you want to break your comment down for me? because i didn't see poor defensive iq/positioning on that 3rd goal. there was a 2 on 1 down low and dumba was in the slot defending...the ONLY place he could be. it was the perfect place to break up a pass destined for a u.s.a. player heading for the net. he broke up that play and the puck got past him as it hit him in the heel of his stick. at that point the puck slowly trickled to the point which was wide open. the only thing he could do at that point was to try to block the shot. he couldn't block the shot as it went high and it beat the goalie. big deal. poor defensive iq? bull.

Last edited by islandermaniac: 04-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Dumba is listed anywhere from 5'10 to 5'11 ranging from 165 lbs to 175 lbs. This is a small player. With the physical way he plays the game he wont last long in the NHL. Perhaps he may have a growth spurt and get to 6'0 190 lbs in the NHL. However, even at that size this is still small for an NHL defenseman. I cannot see a team taking this huge risk with Dumba's size in the top 5.
For draft eligible players' measurements, you go by Central Scouting and Central Scouting alone. They actual take the players' measurements. They don't just go by team reports or what the player or his agent says.

Central Scouting lists Dumba as 5'11.75, so, even without a growth spurt, he's going to be listed as 6'0 as a pro. He might even end up being listed as 6'1 by the time he's 22 or so. And that's without a growth spurt.

As for weight, Central Scouting has him listed at 173, down from 183 in their midterm rankings. We'll see what he is at the combine and then we'll see what he is at training camp. Since he was 183 at the start of the year (whenever it was he was weighed) and since he's apparently a gym rat, I'm guessing there's a good chance he'll show up to training camp at 190. He might be the kind of guy who loses mass throughout the year, but that's hardly unique and it's training camp weights people see, not mid or end of year weights.

Still not a huge guy, but I think he's going to be listed as 6'0 185-190 this September (after just turning 18 at the end of July).

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
For draft eligible players' measurements, you go by Central Scouting and Central Scouting alone. They actual take the players' measurements. They don't just go by team reports or what the player or his agent says.

Central Scouting lists Dumba as 5'11.75, so, even without a growth spurt, he's going to be listed as 6'0 as a pro. He might even end up being listed as 6'1 by the time he's 22 or so. And that's without a growth spurt.

As for weight, Central Scouting has him listed at 173, down from 183 in their midterm rankings. We'll see what he is at the combine and then we'll see what he is at training camp. Since he was 183 at the start of the year (whenever it was he was weighed) and since he's apparently a gym rat, I'm guessing there's a good chance he'll show up to training camp at 190. He might be the kind of guy who loses mass throughout the year, but that's hardly unique and it's training camp weights people see, not mid or end of year weights.

Still not a huge guy, but I think he's going to be listed as 6'0 185-190 this September (after just turning 18 at the end of July).
I know down the stretch the Rebels were routinely using 4 defenceman a night in their lineup. Him and Petrovic were playing a TON. It was like that for atleast the last month.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he lost atleast 5 pounds over that time frame, likely more than that.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Yashin for President

Seemed like he played well today. He got burned on one of Russias goals but on the bigger ice surface things like this will happen. Now the open ice hit that he received a 10 misconduct for was a joke of a penalty. If this is the what he brings to big games I am all for it. Isles have enough safe defensive players to help him out. I want some action!

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:00 AM
countrcultur

Quote:
he's more like 185 5'11-6'0 I've stood beside him in his under armour.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:26 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
What do you mean by the "physical way he plays the game"?

You do realize that he's not an overly physical player, aside from the odd open ice hit he tries to make. And if you look at guys like Stephane Robidas and Francis Boullion, they are both smaller guys that are still physical.....
i'm glad you mentioned this. people think he runs around like a wild man on every shift looking for blood and he therefore, won't be able to sustain an nhl career due to this. this, of course, couldn't be further from the truth.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Yashin for President

I think the debate will be if Dumba and Murray are available when the Isles pick.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Kevin27nyi

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Seemed like he played well today. He got burned on one of Russias goals but on the bigger ice surface things like this will happen. Now the open ice hit that he received a 10 misconduct for was a joke of a penalty. If this is the what he brings to big games I am all for it. Isles have enough safe defensive players to help him out. I want some action!
Do you know where I can find a clip of that hit?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip662320

You might only be able to watch that in Canada though.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Marshal Rochambeau
Send it

Quote:
I think the debate will be if Dumba and Murray are available when the Isles pick.
What's funny is that the three Mocks on NHL.com have him going past 10th overall. His only detriments are his "small" size and his "poor defensive IQ." Some good coaching and a growth spurt () will do wonders for him.

Marshal Rochambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Kevin27nyi

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip662320

You might only be able to watch that in Canada though.
It worked, thank you!

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:27 PM
islandermaniac

well after the under 18's, the high risk-high reward label cannot be removed before draft day. something is ALWAYS happening when he is on the ice. my opinion is that it is much more positive than negative. the bronze medal game absolutely showed this. 3 assists, including one on the overtime winner and and couple big hits are the positives. the negatives? he was beat on a one on one to the inside of the ice which led to a finland goal. he was also beat to the outside in the next period and he took a penalty where finland scored on the pp.

even considering the drawbacks, anyone could tell you that canada doesn't win the bronze without him. it's not even close. he's a risky, yet special player. there are just so many things that i've seen him bring to the table that if he goes in the draft where central scouting has him ranked, some team will have a total steal. honestly, for anyone trying to pick apart his game, those who boost him can always answer with the fact that he is the only d-man in the history of the u-18's to lead the tournament in scoring. quite an accomplishment from quite a player.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
HabLover

Has now led the U17's and U18's in scoring, probably the only D-man that has accomplished or will accomplish this. Pretty crazy actually!

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Has now led the U17's and U18's in scoring, probably the only D-man that has accomplished or will accomplish this. Pretty crazy actually!
Wonder where Ryan Murphy fits into that. He must've been close, you would think.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Wonder where Ryan Murphy fits into that. He must've been close, you would think.
Murphy's 2011 tournament (13 pts) was more points than Dumba scored in 2012 (12 pts) but wasn't close to leading the tournament in scoring.

The 2011 Scoring leaders were Kucherov with an incredible 21 points in 7 games, Grigorenko with 18 in 7, and then a group tied at 13 which included Murray.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Murphy's 2011 tournament (13 pts) was more points than Dumba scored in 2012 (12 pts) but wasn't close to leading the tournament in scoring.

The 2011 Scoring leaders were Kucherov with an incredible 21 points in 7 games, Grigorenko with 18 in 7, and then a group tied at 13 which included Murray.
Ahh yes, that's right.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
They do? Who besides Hamonic?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
HanSolo
RIP, Leia

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
They do? Who besides Hamonic?
Apparently De Haan and Donovan are guarantees.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Apparently De Haan and Donovan are guarantees.
deHaan I think will be a good offensive Dman, Donovon I think will be a good two way guy but I wouldnt put them in "safe defensive player" catagory. I mean Mayfield and Pedan might fill that catagory in 2-3 or more years, MacDonald is a decent two way guy, Striet not really. I just dont see the "have enough safe defensive players to help him out" that others apparently see.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Felix Unger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
deHaan I think will be a good offensive Dman, Donovon I think will be a good two way guy but I wouldnt put them in "safe defensive player" catagory. I mean Mayfield and Pedan might fill that catagory in 2-3 or more years, MacDonald is a decent two way guy, Striet not really. I just dont see the "have enough safe defensive players to help him out" that others apparently see.
I disagree - I think de Haan plays a safe game, not an offensive game. His positioning against the rush looks quite good. But the Islander's problem isn't defending the rush, it's defending the dump and chase/cycle. Everyone except Hamonic shares this problem.

Can anyone tell us how is Dumba performs in those situations?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Yashin for President

What I meant was the Isles dont have any dynamic offensive defensman. Hamonic comes close. Also, when was the last time the Isles had a presence on the blue line that teams were afraid to get hit by? I would say Kasperitis. That, is a long time ago. We need some toughness and someone that gives a *****!

Old
05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Beesfan

In my opinion, Dumba should be a coveted player come draft day. He is going to be tremendous on the power play. At worst, a team could play him all two-minutes of the powerplay, and limit his 5-5 ice time.

I don't think he's a top 3 player, but I could see any team taking him at 4-7.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Yashin for President

Another thing that most people dont realize is that the kid wears his heart on his sleeve. I love that, there are less and less of those players in the NHL these days.