HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Indeed, but will Dumba be good enough to warrant playing on his pairing?
If not, we have Brodin holding down our second pairing for the foreseeable future.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Watching him live tonight

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:48 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Watching him live tonight
I'll be watching on TV, but if you don't mind could you keep an eye on his backward skating and transitions and give us your take?

Only seen one game live this year and it was the SSS (as well as a number of television and streams), but I was unimpressed with his gap, angles, and basically his ability to keep rushing forwards in front of him.

I like him as a player, but he doesn't seem to transition well.

Also excited to see the new look Blades. Completely unrelated, but have do you have any updates on Astles - such a horrible thing to happen, and hoping the kids life isn't significantly altered due to his injury.

Cheers

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Wild fans would love to hear outside opinions on Dumba.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Might need to start a separate thread on Bartosak after this game.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'll be watching on TV, but if you don't mind could you keep an eye on his backward skating and transitions and give us your take?

Only seen one game live this year and it was the SSS (as well as a number of television and streams), but I was unimpressed with his gap, angles, and basically his ability to keep rushing forwards in front of him.

I like him as a player, but he doesn't seem to transition well.

Also excited to see the new look Blades. Completely unrelated, but have do you have any updates on Astles - such a horrible thing to happen, and hoping the kids life isn't significantly altered due to his injury.

Cheers
Astles rehab is coming along. Still not expected to return until late February.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Might as well post this here too. It's a video interview of Dumba telling how he feels about Minnesota Wild's training camp.

(wild.com)

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:18 AM

I like Dumba a lot. I think he's making moves right now to change his game up. IMO he's trying to playing more of a pro game than he used to. I think he's cut from the same cloth as Dion and Jack Johnson. Both of those players came into the NHL and cleaned up their act at the NHL level with a ton of warts along the way. Dumba trying to correct things now says a lot about him and where his thinking is at.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Haite
x

Yeo on Dumba after Monday's scrimmage:

Quote:
“He is going to be a really, really good player,” Yeo said of Dumba. “It’s a big jump. One week you’re playing junior hockey and the next week you’re coming out playing against world class players. I think he’s done a real nice job. You can see his strengths. He had that one great shift in the offensive zone. They controlled the puck down there for 45 seconds, to a minute, and a lot of it was going through him on the blue line. He has a great shot and he skates extremely well.”

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Granted it was only a scrimmage but I was quite impressed with Dumba tonight. If he can outplay Prosser, this kid actually has a chance of sticking around with the club this year. It's highly unlikely, but I'm not gonna rule it out completely.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Granted it was only a scrimmage but I was quite impressed with Dumba tonight. If he can outplay Prosser, this kid actually has a chance of sticking around with the club this year. It's highly unlikely, but I'm not gonna rule it out completely.
He's a very good player. Dont let the HF herd mentality tell you different.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Went to the scrimmage last night and came back seeing a player who was vastly different than the one I seen at Dev Camp earlier in the year; where I think he struggled a lot.

Obviously one event with a scrimmage type of atmosphere isn't the end all to evaluate a player but I will say that at the very least, Dumba didn't look out of place out there. Made quick decisions with the puck and his gap control at the blue line looked markedly better than when I last seen him. Also looks like he's taken some coaching to get quieter feet and not get out of position with an unneeded crossover. When I last seen him, wasn't too pleased to see a defenseman with "happy feet" playing a rush from the opposition. That didn't show up last night.

He still has some work to do (and he's likely to stick with the Wild for 5 games as they have defensive injuries) but I like the step he's taken from when I last viewed him. Even if he's been getting some heat from the people who have seen him markedly more than I have.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My thoughts on Dumba from the scrimmage:

Looked so much better than expected.

Halfway through the scrimmage, he switched teams and started getting double shifted. Literally on the ice every other shift and for full shifts, not short ones. You could tell he was getting thrown to the wolves but he held his ground pretty well. Good sign that his conditioning is up to snuff.

His skating doesn't seem to be an issue at all. If anything, he's unsure of where he should be (not so much poor hockey IQ as in just got tossed into a completely different team/system) so he is constantly looking around making sure he's not about to be burned. But lateral/backwards skating looked just fine. Can't recall if he had any straight up speedy 1-on-1's to defend though.

Great shooting and had some awesome one-timers. Got an assist as a one-timer rebound was knocked in.

His passes were a little off but not bad, I'm sure it's a big adjustment to anticipating where NHL's are vs juniors.

He looks like he would be able to hang in the NHL now but still could use some development time to really come out of his shell.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
So again, with Kampfer on his way to Houston, Matt Dumba appears to be sticking for now rather than going back to jr. #mnwild

01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Not surprised in the least. Hopefully he gets a few games to strut his stuff. Maybe he even outplays Prosser and stays. Not likely but you never know.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Anyone know how he has looked since being sent back to the Red Deer? He seems to be doing well stat wise

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From our Wild section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Dumba has been playing like he hasn't really cared all season long. A guy just going through the motions and waiting for the next step. He's been a little better since he came back from Minnesota but prior to that he has been disconnected. Just thought I'd toss that out.
That seems very much unlike his attitude pre-draft.

Any Red Deer / CHL fans able to confirm or deny?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
From our Wild section:

I havent gotten that impression from the games Ive seen. But Ive only seen him play a few times this year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
From our Wild section:

I noticed he doesn't seem as amped up, before he would play and have these little bursts of energy, now it does seem to be regressing, don't know if that's just his coach not wanting him to take as many chances though.

Brewsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
From our Wild section:

He definetly (sp) looks less interested this year, less energy, less hits, same mistakes, some guys do this after being drafted, Getzlaff and Schenn are 2 examples of guys just doing enough to get by until they can get to the NHL

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He definetly (sp) looks less interested this year, less energy, less hits, same mistakes, some guys do this after being drafted, Getzlaff and Schenn are 2 examples of guys just doing enough to get by until they can get to the NHL
Can you really say that about Schenn? I was lucky enough to be in Saskatoon after they acquired him in 2011 and he put up 2 points per game down the stretch and was consistently the best Blade on the ice every night. Not sure you can call that "just doing enough to get by."

Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Can you really say that about Schenn? I was lucky enough to be in Saskatoon after they acquired him in 2011 and he put up 2 points per game down the stretch and was consistently the best Blade on the ice every night. Not sure you can call that "just doing enough to get by."
Same with Getzlaf. He exploded after he got drafted. Literally. And then he rose from his own ashes like a weird, prematurely balding phoenix.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Same with Getzlaf. He exploded after he got drafted. Literally. And then he rose from his own ashes like a weird, prematurely balding phoenix.
The imagery there...

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I'll admit, I only saw him play this year during the SuperSeries, to add to these comments, is less hits and less energy really equal less interested?

To me, that doesn't seem to be a fair conclusion, unless he actually does look less interested in his game.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:00 PM
WILDTATE10

9 points in 6 games since returning to the Red Deer for Dumba

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote