HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
I think he COULD get selected top 4, but it's more likely that he'll go in the 5-8 range.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
countrcultur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Sat with a scout and a professional powerskating instructor two weeks ago. They said the same thing, his skating is not up to par.
THe average WHL forwards skating must really suck then because Dumba blows by a lot of them. The truth is his skating is what allows him to play the game that he does. Those big open ice hits are the product of being able to adjust from backwards to forwards or quickly laterally. On the blueline he can go from a standstill to spinning a 360 to the outside, with the puck, and leave his man behind.

I cover the Edmonton Oil Kings and the Red Deer Rebels. This weekend I was by the oilers press box for the Oil Kings vs Rebels and their scouts were being wowed by his rushing and quickness.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Thanks DJB!

RS: I wouldn't be surprised with 5-8, but gotta think some team gets totally enamoured with him and selects him between 2nd-4th.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Man I hope Yakupov goes to Winnipeg over Columbus.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post
Coverage of the rebels game last night http://insidehockey.com/calgary-crui...mes-for-rebels
Is that written by you?

Seems really well done.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that written by you?

Seems really well done.
Nevermind

Last edited by R S: 02-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old
02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that written by you?

Seems really well done.
written by me ya, thanks. I am covering Oil kings games for insidehockey.com and the occasional Red Deer game. I will also be writing WHL player profiles for thehockeywriters.com

Old
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
written by me ya, thanks. I am covering Oil kings games for insidehockey.com and the occasional Red Deer game. I will also be writing WHL player profiles for thehockeywriters.com
Shouldn't you know who Charles Inglis is if you are writing player profiles for the WHL?

Old
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Shouldn't you know who Charles Inglis is if you are writing player profiles for the WHL?
I know who he is. He is going to be the second profile I do. But I am just getting to know a lot of players so that's a big part of why I'm here. What did I say about Inglis? Funny thing, Inglis actually uses one of my photos as his profile pic on twitter. Anyway, I am definitely learning on the job.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I know who he is. He is going to be the second profile I do. But I am just getting to know a lot of players so that's a big part of why I'm here. What did I say about Inglis? Funny thing, Inglis actually uses one of my photos as his profile pic on twitter. Anyway, I am definitely learning on the job.
Wasn't meant to be an insult, was just an observation.

Old
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Wasn't meant to be an insult, was just an observation.
No problem, just wondering what I said.

Old
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
No problem, just wondering what I said.
Just that you had to ask your scout source for reasons why he wasn't a player who was drafted into the NHL by now.

Old
02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Just that you had to ask your scout source for reasons why he wasn't a player who was drafted into the NHL by now.
Ah, no I asked about his chances of being drafted, he is eligible this year. Mainly I wanted to plug my sources scouting because he's a young guy. But I also wanted a second opinion because I don't have a real handle on where guys will go in the draft.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

One of my co-conspirators @ THW, Brendan Ross, has a completed a profile on Alex Galchenyuk for The Next Ones series:

http://thehockeywriters.com/alex-gal...spect-profile/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Mathew Dumba is Officially On The Radar (obviously).

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...hew-dumba.html

Quote:
Physically he continues to improve, adding size and strength. He likes to play the body and is known for huge hits in the neutral zone. Those hits have raised up the name Dion Phaneuf as a comparable for Dumba. Is that 100% accurate? Not really. I would say he plays more like PK Subban of Montreal, when looking at style of play.

Going forward, Dumba is going to make some NHL team very happy. I have him rated to go inside the top 5 of the 2012 NHL Draft and he could even end up going inside the top 3.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
countrcultur

Good stuff. His defensive play seems to be above average to me. It was the knock on him last year but I haven't noticed any serious defensive lapses or areas of weakness.

The only thing I would say he needs to work on is his positioning. He tends to roam

Old
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
seafoam
Nielsen, Frans

vCash: 50
Is his hockey sense good or not? I hear he's as dumb as Dion one minute and the next I hear it's pretty darn good...?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

he's more PK than Phaneuf with his hits. PK relies on speed. Phaneuf can crush someone in two strides.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Dumba is a very solid d-man, but what does he projects to be? Does anyone think he has it in him to be a legit #1 D-man at the NHL in few years?

Personally from what I have caught off him in a few stretches, he is not only dynamic offensively and punishing physically, but he is also not too shabby in his own end and seems to be much more smarter than both Dion and Subban. Though, I have no idea if he can be a legit#1 D at the NHL level with his small size.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 03-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

I love Dumba myself. More than Murray. Been seeing him a lot of him the past year.

One question for everybody who's watched him though, in your eyes, How far is he from being NHL ready?

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
I love Dumba myself. More than Murray. Been seeing him a lot of him the past year.

One question for everybody who's watched him though, in your eyes, How far is he from being NHL ready?
I would say atleast a year or two after this year.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
he's more PK than Phaneuf with his hits. PK relies on speed. Phaneuf can crush someone in two strides.
I think he is closer to PK in that area as you've pointed out but he's still a bit different. Dumba is extremely durable and physical for his size, which isn't as small as people think if you see him without his equipment. He's is definitely bigger than the 173 that he is listed at in certain places. As far as hitting it is more about lateral movement and timing. He just has a great sense of when to stop up or slide into the lane when the opponent is commited to a direction. He is backing up in one-on-one coverage on a forward looking for the right moment to cut in or try to go wide and dumba is able to read and react fast enough to make the big hits. He had one against lethbridge and it is really such an impact play it can easily be compared to a flashy break away goal. The crowd all woke up, everyone on both benches was affected. It just really turned up Red Deer's play a notch.

Probably the coolest thing was that he didn't have to drop the gloves afterwards. I like fighting in hockey, especially when you know who the tough guys are and it's like a game within the game. But the big clean hits leading to fights is kind of getting out of control. Dumba had to fight a number of times last year as a 16 year old almost everytime after big hits that weren't penalties. Most of the time the other guy was perfectly fine afterwards as well. Like at the top prospects game. Anyway, just my two cents.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:29 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
I think he is closer to PK in that area as you've pointed out but he's still a bit different. Dumba is extremely durable and physical for his size, which isn't as small as people think if you see him without his equipment. He's is definitely bigger than the 173 that he is listed at in certain places. As far as hitting it is more about lateral movement and timing. He just has a great sense of when to stop up or slide into the lane when the opponent is commited to a direction. He is backing up in one-on-one coverage on a forward looking for the right moment to cut in or try to go wide and dumba is able to read and react fast enough to make the big hits. He had one against lethbridge and it is really such an impact play it can easily be compared to a flashy break away goal. The crowd all woke up, everyone on both benches was affected. It just really turned up Red Deer's play a notch.

Probably the coolest thing was that he didn't have to drop the gloves afterwards. I like fighting in hockey, especially when you know who the tough guys are and it's like a game within the game. But the big clean hits leading to fights is kind of getting out of control. Dumba had to fight a number of times last year as a 16 year old almost everytime after big hits that weren't penalties. Most of the time the other guy was perfectly fine afterwards as well. Like at the top prospects game. Anyway, just my two cents.
That sounds like Nik Kronwall of DET.

03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Red Deer wrapped up their season Saturday after failing to make the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, the team ended the season with 14 skaters due to injury. Dumba, fortunately, was healthy pretty well all year.

And his season isn't done. It hasn't been announced yet, but he'll be a part of Canada's U18 entry.

Quote:
“You can’t even describe it,” Dumba said. “It’s just a rush of emotions. You’ve seen it all your life, since you were little. You just admired those guys who have done it in the past and once you’re able to do it it’s a pretty amazing feeling. When you do it, it’s pretty special.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/dumba...-canada-again/

03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
DousedInOil

Dumba was my favourite defenceman and the start of the year and is still IMO the defenceman with the highest upside in the draft. If I'm picking 3rd overall I wouldn't hesitate to select Dumba. He can control the game and I would much rather have a player that I have to "reign in" from being too agressive than a player that I have to "light a fire" underneath.

He's a kid. Of course he still has a lot of learning to do. Since when is picking a prospect based on how polished the kid is, or how long it takes for him to develop?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote