HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Here's a thought (about our goalie duo)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Here's a thought (about our goalie duo)

It might not be a great deal, but this is something that was on my mind last year with Garon and Theodore in goals and has again poped in my mind now that we acquired Huet.

I don't quite remember who came up with the idea (poster/journalist/player/whoever) but the fact we could never practice with two goalies who catch from a different hand last year might be one tiny possibility to explain some inconsistency in scoring we've been plagued with. You know what I'm talking about, those dreaded, more severe than usual and prolonged cold streaks we went through last year, where we would be hard pressed to score a goal a game. I remember the 1st one quite well, just for the fact Julien said he had never coached a team in the past that went through as bad a scoring drought as the one we were in.

I really don't know if there's any basis to it, and for this would welcome opinions on the matter from anybody that played hockey at a more serious level than I did, but I thought it deserved consideration. Being able (especially for our scorers) to practice plays (whether it be 5-on-5, PP or any specific scoring play) with a right-handed and a left-handed goalie might (in theory) reduce the severity of those scoring droughts, just for the fact that there's a variation in the way you can prepare a play, as well as practice to score equally naturally and spontaneously against left or right handed goalies throughout the whole season, without having to adjust in-game with the additional pressure it implies, especially for our players with a more limited skill set.

Now this might not hold water at all, heck I didn't even bother to check if we actually had a problem scoring against lefties last year, but I find the idea interesting nonetheless. A scorer needs to remain sharp and ready, and avoiding routine and excessive repetition by practicing offensive plays against Huet (LG) and Theo (RG) might help keep our scorers sharper and more confident for the games, just like avoiding routine operations in any other job helps keep the employees focused and alert (there's been studies on this).

It might be a ridiculous idea, I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there. Feel free to ignore it and think I'm insane or unbeleivably bored.

Old
06-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Legolas

Interesting idea...but I don't think it's really a factor. I think it's good that we have two different goalies for multiple purposes, including practice, but I don't think it really matters in terms of translating to games...practicing against Theo (when he's working hard) should be more than adequate in preparing our players...you're shooting against a supposed top goalie on a regular basis, that should be enough to properly prepare you.

Old
06-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
That's pretty interesting...

But I don't think that real goal scorer need to train to be able to score...

Old
06-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
your onto something here. I have a few questions first however before we go any further......

1. are you on drugs
2. are you an alcholic
3. do you have a friend
4. do you have a girlfriend
5. are you old
6. do you take pills (tylanol, asprin, alergies, etc)

J/k, thats an intersting idea!!!!

Old
06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Guriken

Hehe, it makes sense! for sure it's different when you come to deke a left handed goalie or a right handed one.. I agree with you, it could make a difference especially when they go on breakaway.

I remember Kovalchuk saying before a game against the habs that the reason he wasn't able to score against Theo was because he wasn't used to play against right glove side goalies.

Old
06-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
6. do you take pills (tylanol, asprin, alergies, etc)
Those god damn Aspirins! That's it!! I knew there was something wrong with those!!! From now on I'll be relieving my headaches with good ol' alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems!

Old
06-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Those god damn Aspirins! That's it!! I knew there was something wrong with those!!! From now on I'll be relieving my headaches with good ol' alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems!
Alcohol is alo the key to being a true roudy entusiastic Hab fan!

Ahh, what am i saying, Alcohol is life damnit!

Old
06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken
I remember Kovalchuk saying before a game against the habs that the reason he wasn't able to score against Theo was because he wasn't used to play against right glove side goalies.

Oh yeah, that's where it came from now I remember. Makes sense since all their goalies are lefties. So I wasn't crazy after all... Meh, I'm sticking to alcohol anyway.

Last edited by Munchausen: 06-28-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Closed Thread