HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Speculation

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Not looking to sign him to a long term deal either.

Rental situation.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
kausatoday Kevin Allen
The Predators have acquired Mike Fisher from Ottawa for a first round pick and a conditional pick. Details will follow.

02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Preds getting serious here. Thats a hefty price for a 2nd line center.

02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
Crap. At least it wasn't Sather who gave up a first round pick and a conventional pick.

02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Crap. At least it wasn't Sather who gave up a first round pick and a conventional pick.
For a 2nd line pivot, 4.2 mil a year? Yeah I can honestly say I'm glad we didn't make that one.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

that is blatant overpayment by the Preds for a guy who has hit the 50 point mark just ONCE in his career.

He is 30 years old as well and has just 24 points this season.

Yuck. Thanks though to the preds for setting the bar high for trades. Idiots.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Wow that's an awful price to pay for Fisher....

Old
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Also, Kaberle turns 33 in less than a month... Anyone who wants to discuss re-signing him, should consider the implications of his age... At 33, I highly doubt he's going to be looking for a 1 or 2 year deal... More like 3 or 4.... Personally, I'm not interested in offering a long-term contract to a player like Kaberle at his current age.... Pass here.... Rental or nothing.
On the R side we have Girardi, Gilroy and Sauer.

Someone got to go. Or do you purpose that we go without a PPQB for 4-5 years until MDZ is ready?

Old
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I posted in the thread on the trade board also, but this is one of the few times I can remember Poile making a move I wasn't a fan of, but I can understand his rationale. He expects Fisher to be a core player for a while, perhaps the rest of his career, Nashville isn't exactly the easiest locale to attract free agents, Fisher will help with getting attention for the fanbase, and most importantly, he's not a BAD player. He's solid, and their first will be a relatively low one.

It's an overpayment, but not a massive one, and I can understand why they did it.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. He's had a lot of injuries over the last year and half, and he's made a lot of money over the last 4 years. Pride might cause him to play out his contract in the hopes that he can go out on a better note, but practicality might convince him that he's better off riding into the sunset.

If he were playing well and just had trouble staying healthy, I could see him coming back for sure. But even when he is on the ice, he hasn't been producing. Pride goes both ways. He might not want to retire after such an awful season, but he might be too proud to risk an equal or worse season next year. He's been completely professional about the situation, but he can't enjoy playing just 4th line and PK minutes. That situation isn't likely to improve for him next year. What really is there for him to come back for?

If he still wants to play, the best he can hope for is a buyout and sign with another team. At this point, I don't see the Rangers keeping him.
was trying to put something together that would have stated the above, but you summed it up better than I would have been able to do.

Drury doesn't seem like a guy looking for a money grab. He seems to me to be the kind of guy that is not going to allow the 5 million final year on his contract dictate his decisions.

His overall skill set has been in sharp decline the last 2+ years. AND on top of that he's been getting hurt with more and more frequency.

Finally, taking into consideration that his tenure here has not worked out. By my math, any reasonable person would look to mutually part ways and call it a learning experience.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I posted in the thread on the trade board also, but this is one of the few times I can remember Poile making a move I wasn't a fan of, but I can understand his rationale. He expects Fisher to be a core player for a while, perhaps the rest of his career, Nashville isn't exactly the easiest locale to attract free agents, Fisher will help with getting attention for the fanbase, and most importantly, he's not a BAD player. He's solid, and their first will be a relatively low one.

It's an overpayment, but not a massive one, and I can understand why they did it.
Plus you get a guy who has personal ties to the city already, so he's even more likely to stick around. Not a bad deal, but better for the Sens IMO.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
as opposed to an unconventional pick?

Old
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
pld459666

I'm not sold on the fact that a lower 1st is an overpayment for Fisher.

He's a solid player that is going to help that team. He's captain material in how he carries himself on and off the ice and he's been in enough playoff wars to be extremely valuable during the second season.

When you can improve your team that much without deducting any roster players it's a very good trade IMO.

Fisher will help them this year and next, that 1st MAY can help them in 3-5 years.

That's a win for Nashville.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Nashville needs to win a playoff series in the worst way. Fisher is a good player. It's a steep price but he has a year to run, it contributes to a higher calling and Carrie Underwood is thrilled.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not sold on the fact that a lower 1st is an overpayment for Fisher.

He's a solid player that is going to help that team. He's captain material in how he carries himself on and off the ice and he's been in enough playoff wars to be extremely valuable during the second season.

When you can improve your team that much without deducting any roster players it's a very good trade IMO.

Fisher will help them this year and next, that 1st MAY can help them in 3-5 years.

That's a win for Nashville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Nashville needs to win a playoff series in the worst way. Fisher is a good player. It's a steep price but he has a year to run, it contributes to a higher calling and Carrie Underwood is thrilled.
Exactly.

Anyone thinking this trade is one sided has a one sided way of looking at NHL players. Just look how they point towards the stats as the first indicator of anything.

Besides, Nashville has the depth to make these deals.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Exactly.

Anyone thinking this trade is one sided has a one sided way of looking at NHL players. Just look how they point towards the stats as the first indicator of anything.

Besides, Nashville has the depth to make these deals.
NAS also has two seconds one of which is NJD's which could/should/will be a high second round pick. If NAS wins a round in the playoffs, they don't lose a lot between their first round pick and the Devils second round pick

02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Super Evil Plan to get Us a First Overall Pick with out Tanking

I call it pulling a "Boston".

Trade with the Islanders, Oilers, or Leafs for their first round pick, and with enough luck we land a first overall pick without tanking.

Booyah. It's best to save this move for a seriously deep draft though. Sather is great with trades so hypothetically speaking I think this could happen without sending TOO much back.

Question though, does anyone know how far into the future you can trade a pick? Let's say the Leafs were willing to give us their 2015 first overall for a more reasonable price than their 2012 because it's farther away, could a team trade a pick that far ahead?

Old
02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Trade with the Islanders, Oilers, or Leafs for their first round pick, and with enough luck we land a first overall pick without tanking.

Booyah. It's best to save this move for a seriously deep draft though. Sather is great with trades so hypothetically speaking I think this could happen without sending TOO much back.

Question though, does anyone know how far into the future you can trade a pick? Let's say the Leafs were willing to give us their 2015 first overall for a more reasonable price than their 2012 because it's farther away, could a team trade a pick that far ahead?
Ummm, what are we giving for these 1st round picks???

You do realize that those teams you mentioned know they would be trading away lottery picks right?

And if were looking to win soon, why would we trade away anything of value for a 2015 draft pick??

I think your just bored since there hasn't been a game since monday...

Old
02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

What happened with Boston was a stroke of luck to the highest magnitude. Toronto thought they'd sure be a playoff team when they made that trade. Little did they know that they'd be horrible.

Old
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

We'd have to give up key players and assets on this team that would tank us.

Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Yeah, lets just trade for a first overall, happens frequently right?

Old
02-10-2011, 01:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
NAS also has two seconds one of which is NJD's which could/should/will be a high second round pick. If NAS wins a round in the playoffs, they don't lose a lot between their first round pick and the Devils second round pick
Would you agree that it's fair to say that, more likely than not, hardly any, if any at all, other teams in the league were willing to give up a first round pick for Fisher?

I think there are a bunch of reasons why Nashville can afford to overpay for a guy like Fisher, reasons that I don't see any other team having.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Excellent point.

Asset management. For a long time Poile was known as being too conservative and not willing to part with anything of value to get valued players. He changed his tune in the later Nashville years, I think for the better. Gotta take a shot when you have the depth to take the hit if it doesn't pan out.

You can understand why some NYR fans don't understand this, they've rarely seen such astute management

Old
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
eco's bones

Fisher is a very good two way player. There's some chance that the guy Ottawa drafts won't become nearly as good. The thing with his wife being a country music star probably factors in it to Nashville as well. Personally I can't stand country music but to each their own. He's probably happy to go there.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Would you agree that it's fair to say that, more likely than not, hardly any, if any at all, other teams in the league were willing to give up a first round pick for Fisher?

I think there are a bunch of reasons why Nashville can afford to overpay for a guy like Fisher, reasons that I don't see any other team having.
I don't know. But if some team was willing to part with a high second and the Preds want to the guy and feel he can help them win a series and all it costs is moving down 10 spots in the draft, then they're comfortable upping their offer offer.

Closed Thread