HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel

Old
02-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel

Seeing Kessel`s point production right now and his mediocre performance so far this year I am wondering what value you would offer Toronto for Kessel right now? I am betting at least 90% of all NHL teams would not trade a single first round pick for Kessel right now.It was no shock he went last at the All Star game he was the worst player available. He did not look like a professional athlete I thought he was a contestant on Pros VS Joes. So would any NHL teams would offer Toronto a first for him! Would he even be a top 6 player on 50% of NHL teams right now Vancouver says NO!!! He would not play in the Canucks top 9 right now.

Last edited by Canuck and Bills Fan: 02-01-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Caius Merlyn

Vancouver is one of the few teams where he would not play in the top 6, and that has a lot to do with current chemistry.

Also I can't think there would be many teams that wouldn't give up at least one 1st rounder for a 23 year old scorer with his potential. LA, FLA, CLB, CAR, OTT, NSH, NYI, MIN, and STL would all do it without blinking an eye I would think, even if it was perhaps not this years 1st in play.

Oh, and in before lock

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

vCash: 50
In my honest opinion, he's in an Iginla-type situation in Calgary - needs a centreman.
Big difference is, Iginla has leadership, power-forward style grit, and plays his heart out and becomes a game changer with that level of pure skill and determination, at least when he was a bit younger. Iginla's game has changed a bit, regressing from pure power-forward style play, but the skill is still there, plus he can make plays - see the year he played with Cammalleri and the Olympic Gold winning assist.

Kessel is not most of those things. A sniper with less grit, apparently only a couple moves, and less determination / game changing skill all while needing that top-line centreman.... at best, a low first line winger, a good, maybe great? second line winger.

So what's this mean his value is? Probably a late second or early third round pick and a mid-level prospect.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Kessel is a first line winger. The problem for Toronto is that he's the sort of first line winger you add to a team with a developed core to add a serious scoring punch, not the sort you build around. Honestly, I think he'd make the perfect addition to the Crosby line. Both he and Crosby have enough offensive vision and goalscoring talent to feed off of eachother. Toss a 1st line capable banger on the other wing to make space (which they already have in Kunitz) and you've got a tremendous line.

Kessel is an excellent player in the right situation; Toronto is not the right situation.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Also I can't think there would be many teams that wouldn't give up at least one 1st rounder for a 23 year old scorer with his potential. LA, FLA, CLB,CAR, OTT, NSH, NYI, MIN, and STL would all do it without blinking an eye I would think, even if it was perhaps not this years 1st in play.

Oh, and in before lock[/QUOTE]

First question is why is this going to be locked? Second aside from maybe OTT and
MIN I don't see Kessel playing in the top 6 on any of the afermentioned teams. As well none of those teams giving a first RIGHT NOW!

Old
02-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

I get it so Kessel is a lot like Burrows a 3 - 4 Mill a year guy when playing in the right situation... But am I the only person who thought he did not look healthy this past weekend?

Old
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
GCM
Stork

It's going to be locked because you're a troll and an embarrassment to Canucks fans.

Sorry Leaf fans, every fanbase has it's jerks.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Caius Merlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck and Bills Fan View Post
Also I can't think there would be many teams that wouldn't give up at least one 1st rounder for a 23 year old scorer with his potential. LA, FLA, CLB,CAR, OTT, NSH, NYI, MIN, and STL would all do it without blinking an eye I would think, even if it was perhaps not this years 1st in play.

Oh, and in before lock
First question is why is this going to be locked? Second aside from maybe OTT and
MIN I don't see Kessel playing in the top 6 on any of the afermentioned teams. As well none of those teams giving a first RIGHT NOW![/QUOTE]

The reason for it getting locked was answered, by what one can only assume is a Leaf's fan however it is probably fairly accurate.

I think you need to perhaps spend a bit more time following hockey. HF boards might not be the best place to start ... Try starting with watching games, TSN, reading the newspaper etc.

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:40 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I think just about any GM would give a 1st to get Kessel unless they have a top 4 pick. Kessel still is a good player. Kessel is easily worth a 1st to about any team. I am not a Leafs fan BTW.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
I get it so Kessel is a lot like Burrows a 3 - 4 Mill a year guy when playing in the right situation... But am I the only person who thought he did not look healthy this past weekend?
I'd even go so far as to say he's worth what he's paid right now... he's just the player you add for that kinda money, not the sort you build around.

Old
Antropovsky

I never was big on the Kessel trade, mostly because I thought he was exactly the opposite of a Burke player.

With that being said, he has 19 goals, and 34 points playing on a line with Joey Crabb (28 year old, career AHLer), and Tyler Bozak, who is a 2nd year undrafted player (whose looked like a shadow of the player he was last season).

It's impressive that Kessel has 19 goals and 34 points, playing with these linemates. How many points would D. Sedin have if he played with Crabb and Bozak, how about Heatley if he played with these two.....

Put Kessel on a line with H.Sedin and I guarantee he's playing at well over a point per game.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:41 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

wow, this guy has it figured out

lol

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Kessel would be on the top 6 for almost every team in the league. Your delusional if you think teams wont give up a 1st. And this would and should get locked because it's an obvious troll post.

N.J
N.Y Rangers
N.Y islanders
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
St.Louis
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Minnesota
L.A
Phoenix
S.J

He would be on all these teams top 6.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:46 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
Kessel would be on the top 6 for almost every team in the league. Your delusional if you think teams wont give up a 1st. And this would and should get locked because it's an obvious troll post.

N.J
N.Y Rangers
N.Y islanders
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
St.Louis
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Minnesota
L.A
Phoenix
S.J
do you realize how much time you wasted on this post?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
do you realize how much time you wasted on this post?
Not really any more than the OP used. Probably wasted a whole 2 minutes.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Foligno and 4th overall?

Kessel has value. I think some teams would still be afraid of the supposed character issues, but in the end, he's a young first line goal-scoring winger. Pretty hard asset to find. Do teams want him? Yes. Would teams pay anything close to the price toronto paid for him? No.

You see situations like this in soccer all the time. A team buys a guy for $30M and then a year later they realize he's not what they wanted, and sell him for $10M. It doesnt mean the guy is a bad player... there are still teams willing to pay $10M for him. He's still wanted, just at the right price, and not at the overpayment.

02-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Would he be a point a game player in the shape he is in right now??

Old
02-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Remember2004

Calgary could use a guy like Kessel but I think he is untouchable since what BB gave up to get him. Would something like

Cgy- Kessel
Tor-1st rnd 2011, Stajan Niemez?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caius Merlyn View Post
Vancouver is one of the few teams where he would not play in the top 6, and that has a lot to do with current chemistry.

Also I can't think there would be many teams that wouldn't give up at least one 1st rounder for a 23 year old scorer with his potential. LA, FLA, CLB, CAR, OTT, NSH, NYI, MIN, and STL would all do it without blinking an eye I would think, even if it was perhaps not this years 1st in play.

Oh, and in before lock
Quote:

N.J
N.Y Rangers
N.Y islanders
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Columbus
DetroitNashville
St.Louis
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Minnesota
L.A Phoenix
S.J

All the bold teams you are very very very wrong. Not right now maybe the Kessel of 2 or 3 years ago but he has let himself go!

Old
02-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Tell me some of the players on those teams that have players that are on pace for 30+ goals right now. Because Kessel is still on pace for his 3rd straight 30 goal season.

Go ahead....

Old
02-01-2011, 03:45 AM
rucksack7

Quote:

N.J
N.Y Rangers
N.Y islanders
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
St.Louis
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Minnesota
L.A
Phoenix
S.J

Toronto 2 1st and a 2nd

rucksack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Kessel would be on the top 6 for almost every team in the league.
He'd be in the top 3 for a very sizable chunk of teams in the league as well, nevermind top 6.

On the other hand I don't think it speaks well for the composition of the team in question if he's the #1 or perhaps even #2. He's definitely more of a #3 sort of guy, maybe #2 on a team that's built down the middle.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

Oh, and in before lock
MIN I don't see Kessel playing in the top 6 on any of the afermentioned teams. As well none of those teams giving a first RIGHT NOW![/QUOTE]

so in other words you don't think that Kessel the man that at 23 as 2 back to back 30 goal years and will likely hit a 3rd baring injury is a top 6 forward?

and THAT is why this needs to be locked because ANYBODY with ANY hockey knowldge at all knows that #81 is a top 6 forward

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:00 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Foligno and 4th overall?

do i think kessel could be a great asset to the Sens? Yes
do i want to trade the 4th overall for him? No.

a) i'd rather take a flyer on Landeskog or RNH because there's the chance they could become superstar level players and Kessel will never be that.
b) i just don't want to give the Leafs a 1st overall draft pick.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
Kessel is a first line winger. The problem for Toronto is that he's the sort of first line winger you add to a team with a developed core to add a serious scoring punch, not the sort you build around. Honestly, I think he'd make the perfect addition to the Crosby line. Both he and Crosby have enough offensive vision and goalscoring talent to feed off of eachother. Toss a 1st line capable banger on the other wing to make space (which they already have in Kunitz) and you've got a tremendous line.

Kessel is an excellent player in the right situation; Toronto is not the right situation.
In my opinion this is a perfect analysis. I'm a Leaf fan in case anyone is wondering.

Also, to the creator of this thread I think you need to tone it down a bit here. Its okay to say you don't like Kessel or his style of play or whatever but to go as far as to say he's not worth anything and wouldn't crack the top six of all but two teams in the league is a bit much. You're either really exaggerating or really trying to provoke Leaf fans.

One final thing: 20 goals on the year so far really isn't mediocre. Especially when you consider he has an undrafted young center in a sophomore slump and a career AHLer on his line.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote