HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston interested in Tomas Kaberle

Old
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Standing pat this year isn't going to win the Bruins anything.
a new owner in Toronto would do wonders for the Leafs

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1947456 View Post
to Boston
Kaberle

To Toronto

Toronto 1st
Brad Marchand
Logout!Keep your juke!

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
meh. I'd prefer to keep Wheeler.

Kaberle would help the Bruins on the powerplay this year but no biggie if they wait until the offseason and pick him or Pitkanen up for free. The Bruins have a pretty wide window to win the Cup so there's no reason to give up anything valuable at the moment.

If Kaberle waits until July 1, I figure Boston the front-runner to sign him. He wants to stay in the East, Chia hands out NTCs like candy, they're a contender and Kabs should appreciate all the efforts Boston has made to trade for him.
How big of a window do you think they have? Your best Vezina and Norris trophy winning goalie and defenseman arn't getting any younger.

I'm not saying Kaberle is that guy that puts the Bruins over the top, I'm not qualified to make that decision, but like you said he would help them out. So if he, or some else, is that missing piece, you go for it.

In seasons to come they could see injuries, lower production from players, contract issues, increased competition, any number of things. If they think they can go all the way this season, by just adding one guy at the cost of a 1st or a prospect, they should do it.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Good Post.

I'd say Boston would be Kabs first choice of a destination for a sign-and-trade. Still in the NE Divison, very competitive, great fans and the opportunity to feed Zdeno Chara some one-timer passes on the PP.
The bruins are scary good and IMO (as a leafs fan) are looking like a serious cup contender (I'm saying BOS, PHI or VAN). If this was my team, I'd be offering up my picks/prospects to improve my blueline. They've got a great forward core and some solid D already. But the thought of Kaberle-Chara and Kabs feeding the puck up the ice to a forward core as strong as bostons is just scary.
Burke knows this and he'll try and drive a hard bargain. Kabs with an extension would have Burke asking for TOR 1st back.
Not saying thats fair or unfair, just saying what he'd be asking for.
All season long, Leafers were resigning themselves to the fact that Kaberle was now worth a late 1st rounder and a prospect, at best. Now, thanks to a Dreger tweet to his inner-self, the greed factor kicks in and the price escalates to a lottery pick. Seems rather unfair.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Burke is an absolute fool if he "doesn't want" picks. You build through the draft, that's been proven. And he's letting his ego get in the way of correctly building the Leafs.
If you are implying that it is proven to be the only way to build than you are mistaken. There are more teams that have floundered with lottery picks over and over and over again than there are teams that were built from the ground up through the draft.

Truth is, grabbing your core through the draft before you have a good supporting cast is recipe for disaster. Ask NYI, EDM, ATL (before Tallon who is NOT building through the draft).

You guys can showcase Pittsburgh who was in the same boat as those other teams for years and years until they stumbled across 2 amazing draft years. Chicago is another team people use as an example that drafting works but I beg to differ look at them now, their future does not look bright at all even with Toews, Keith and Kane.

The only people who think that the 1st round of the draft is the holy grail are fans. We drafted Kadri and Schenn; Reimer and guys killing the CHL now like Blacker and McKegg with Ross doing well also.

We have the youth, we don't need draft age prospects. Right now we need established talent.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
exporta

I would prefer the Leafs resign Kaberle, but if that isn't in the cards I would take Colbourne straight up.

edit: a conditional pick if Kabs resigns in Boston.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
I would prefer the Leafs resign Kaberle, but if that isn't in the cards I would take Colbourne straight up.
Not gonna happen.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
why does Boston have to be the focus point of Kaberle discussions.... isn't it bad enough MLSE essentially dealt 2 1sts for Kessel & a sight unseen G like Rask
Because they have more use for him than a team like Wash, NYR or MTL.
Because the Bruins are a legit cup contender.
Has nothing to do with the Kessel and Rask trades.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
pspot

with Malkin going down there is definitely a window for an eastern team to make a run

at this point its Philly and Bos in the lead and maybe Kaberle is that piece they think can push them past Philly or at the least get past TB to get the 2nd seed

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Simcoe23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
If you are implying that it is proven to be the only way to build than you are mistaken. There are more teams that have floundered with lottery picks over and over and over again than there are teams that were built from the ground up through the draft.

Truth is, grabbing your core through the draft before you have a good supporting cast is recipe for disaster. Ask NYI, EDM, ATL (before Tallon who is NOT building through the draft).

You guys can showcase Pittsburgh who was in the same boat as those other teams for years and years until they stumbled across 2 amazing draft years. Chicago is another team people use as an example that drafting works but I beg to differ look at them now, their future does not look bright at all even with Toews, Keith and Kane.

The only people who think that the 1st round of the draft is the holy grail are fans. We drafted Kadri and Schenn; Reimer and guys killing the CHL now like Blacker and McKegg with Ross doing well also.

We have the youth, we don't need draft age prospects. Right now we need established talent.
Well stated.

Simcoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
How big of a window do you think they have? Your best Vezina and Norris trophy winning goalie and defenseman arn't getting any younger.

I'm not saying Kaberle is that guy that puts the Bruins over the top, I'm not qualified to make that decision, but like you said he would help them out. So if he, or some else, is that missing piece, you go for it.

In seasons to come they could see injuries, lower production from players, contract issues, increased competition, any number of things. If they think they can go all the way this season, by just adding one guy at the cost of a 1st or a prospect, they should do it.
3-4 years, minimum.

Chara and Thomas are playing as well as they ever have. Rask is developing and the rest of the defense is young. Their best forwards haven't hit their primes.

If Chia plays his cards right, they can be in the mix for the whole decade.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Because they have more use for him than a team like Wash, NYR or MTL.
Because the Bruins are a legit cup contender.
Has nothing to do with the Kessel and Rask trades.
I don't want anybody from Toronto, and maybe we need to force MLSE to be forced out of ownership because every Leafs fan has been trying to dump Kaberle to Boston even before Burke got there----google the # of proposed trades involved w/ Boston and Kaberle the answer is NEVER

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
meh. I'd prefer to keep Wheeler.

Kaberle would help the Bruins on the powerplay this year but no biggie if they wait until the offseason and pick him or Pitkanen up for free. The Bruins have a pretty wide window to win the Cup so there's no reason to give up anything valuable at the moment.

If Kaberle waits until July 1, I figure Boston the front-runner to sign him. He wants to stay in the East, Chia hands out NTCs like candy, they're a contender and Kabs should appreciate all the efforts Boston has made to trade for him.

go ahead and keep him, we dont even want wheeler anyways wheeler is an overrated BUMMMMM

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Not gonna happen.
You're crazy if you think Colborne is an untouchable prospect.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:19 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
All season long, Leafers were resigning themselves to the fact that Kaberle was now worth a late 1st rounder and a prospect, at best. Now, thanks to a Dreger tweet to his inner-self, the greed factor kicks in and the price escalates to a lottery pick. Seems rather unfair.
Read my post please.

I said I wasn't trying to make a case as to what is fair/unfair. Simply stating what burke's asking price would be for an extended Kaberle to a divisonal rival, serious cup contender.

I for one think that price is outrageously high. But I can understand why someone would ask for it, given the circumstances.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:20 PM
seanlinden

I'm pretty sure Toronto is interested in Milan Lucic.... doesn't change the fact that neither player is going to be traded.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Hockeyfan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Not gonna happen.
You mean to tell me that Kaberle isn't worth Colborne alone?

Hockeyfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Read my post please.

I said I wasn't trying to make a case as to what is fair/unfair. Simply stating what burke's asking price would be for an extended Kaberle to a divisonal rival, serious cup contender.

I for one think that price is outrageously high. But I can understand why someone would ask for it, given the circumstances.
The whole thing is a game of chicken.

If Kaberle waives it will only be for 5-6 teams and I'm guessing only 3 would be seriously interested.

In one corner, the other GMs want to improve their teams.
In the other, if Burke knows Kaberle is going to walk at the end of the season for nothing, he is under the gun to get something.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

No reason at all for Burke to deal Kaberle to Boston.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Toronto fans really thinks Kaberle will resign with the Leafs? Even if he does he'll ask for a raise + you have to sign Schenn and suddenly you have less cap space for those 2 first line players you need. I don't think Burke is going to tender an offer to Kabs in which case I'd rather just get him July 1st.

Either way we can play this fun game. If Kabs agrees to waive, Boston offers Wheeler + 2nd. If Toronto doesn't like that they can take their chances elsewhere, trade Kabs, plummet further into the basement, making the Toronto pick Boston owns even better.

It's a win win for Boston.

On the off chance he is resigned by the Leafs though I think Chia would be fine bidding for one of the several PMD UFAs this offseason.
Why wouldn't he resign with Toronto? We've had two opportunities to trade him and didn't. Last deadline he submitted a list of 10 teams he would accept a trade to. The fact that they didn't deal him means that they are committed to him.

You can't blame them for listening to offers, but they didn't trade him. That speaks volumes of how the team values him. Kaberle has been a career Leaf, and has built a life in Toronto. He has consistently expressed his desire to remain a Leaf, and has been apart of our most productive defense unit.

Yes Schenn is a RFA, but he's currently counted as a 2.9 cap hit (including bonus'). He won't sign on for too much more than that. If the Leafs can move Beauch or Komi, Giguere coming off the books, and Bozak's cap hit being a lot less next year we have more than plenty of room to retain our top producing offensive d-man.

Everyone points to Kaberle being stripped of his 'A' as a reason that he is no longer wanted. Could it be possible that Burke told Komi and Beauch when they signed as UFA's that they would be given a leadership role/assistant captains if they signed?

Say what you want about Burke, he's a man of his word when it comes to promises to players.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
3-4 years, minimum.

Chara and Thomas are playing as well as they ever have. Rask is developing and the rest of the defense is young. Their best forwards haven't hit their primes.

If Chia plays his cards right, they can be in the mix for the whole decade.
So why not make those 3-4 runs (You'll honestly be lucky to have that many, things change) as good a runs as possible. No mid to late 1st round pick is going to improve those runs for you, but a Kaberle has a good chance.

I'm not suggesting deal the Leafs pick, that's overpayment, but the Bruins pick I think should be on the table for sure.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mightymuffin

I think burke doesnt want tor 1st back, because it would mean He admit that he was dumb ass for trading it away.

mightymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vexxed14

Truth of the situation is if Boston wants Kaberle they will have to overpay since they are in the same division. Same reason why we overpayed for Kessel. If its worth it to them then they do it. Boston is concerned about cup runs right now not futures.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
You're crazy if you think Colborne is an untouchable prospect.
Never said that at all. I'm saying hes not getting dealt to Toronto for a rental, he has first line potential.

Plus, PC won't give Toronto anything to lessen the blow of the other deals.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
I'm pretty sure Toronto is interested in Milan Lucic.... doesn't change the fact that neither player is going to be traded.
totally different scenarios...

1 is a 23 year old power forward signed for 3 more years after this year...

the other is a 33 year old UFA to be defenseman...

apples and oranges.

Quote:
Read my post please.

Tor 1st would be a stiff price to pay.... but as I said if Kaberle was signed to a reasonable deal for 4-5 years...

Well, than I would trade it... Boston has the tools for a serious cup run the next 3 years... getting Kaberle would all but shore up and secure the backend for Boston... all they would need is good #2 or a #1 winger and I believe they would have a contender.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote