HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston interested in Tomas Kaberle

Old
02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
How about the Bruins' 2nd and Joe Colborne?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Good Post.
I'd say Boston would be Kabs first choice of a destination for a sign-and-trade. Still in the NE Divison, very competitive, great fans and the opportunity to feed Zdeno Chara some one-timer passes on the PP.
The bruins are scary good and IMO (as a leafs fan) are looking like a serious cup contender (I'm saying BOS, PHI or VAN). If this was my team, I'd be offering up my picks/prospects to improve my blueline. They've got a great forward core and some solid D already. But the thought of Kaberle-Chara and Kabs feeding the puck up the ice to a forward core as strong as bostons is just scary.
Burke knows this and he'll try and drive a hard bargain. Kabs with an extension would have Burke asking for TOR 1st back.
Not saying thats fair or unfair, just saying what he'd be asking for.
I did read the post. This is where you became just another Kabs used car salesman, selling the hype. Don't act so innocent.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
The Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Do you think this would actually get in the way of these men doing their jobs? I should hope not. I think Burke is too clever a guy to allow emotion to govern his decisions.
No, it wouldn't get in the way, but it would probably play a factor in their negotiations.

If Boston does intend on keeping their pick, they don't want to make Toronto any stronger in the meantime. Then again, take Kaberle out of Toronto and replace him with Wheeler and a few picks or a good prospect, and they arguably only make Toronto weaker in the interim, thus improving their pick.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Why wouldn't he resign with Toronto? We've had two opportunities to trade him and didn't. Last deadline he submitted a list of 10 teams he would accept a trade to. The fact that they didn't deal him means that they are committed to him.

You can't blame them for listening to offers, but they didn't trade him. That speaks volumes of how the team values him. Kaberle has been a career Leaf, and has built a life in Toronto. He has consistently expressed his desire to remain a Leaf, and has been apart of our most productive defense unit.

Yes Schenn is a RFA, but he's currently counted as a 2.9 cap hit (including bonus'). He won't sign on for too much more than that. If the Leafs can move Beauch or Komi, Giguere coming off the books, and Bozak's cap hit being a lot less next year we have more than plenty of room to retain our top producing offensive d-man.

Everyone points to Kaberle being stripped of his 'A' as a reason that he is no longer wanted. Could it be possible that Burke told Komi and Beauch when they signed as UFA's that they would be given a leadership role/assistant captains if they signed?

Say what you want about Burke, he's a man of his word when it comes to promises to players.
They've had since July to extend him and, according to reports, there have been no discussions and no offers. Cox wrote a few weeks ago that the Leafs aren't interested in re-signing him.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:30 PM
teddygmr

Burke can offer Chiarelli the Stanley Cup!
Toronto can send Kaberle (34 points, $4,250,000 pending ufa), Grabovski (41 points, $2,900,000 for 1 more year) and MacArthur (44 points, $1,100,000 pending rfa) for TOR1 back, along with bad contracts Ference (9 points, $2,225,000 for 2 more years), Ryder (29 points, $4 million pending ufa) and Wheeler (23 points, $2,200,000 pending rfa). What else would Chiarelli need to add? Colborne or BOS1? Both???
Bruin fans may say that's too much but the salaries balance out and the infusion of talent added to Boston would vault them into top contender status in the Eastern conference!
Toronto gives up a lot but getting their TOR1 back (which could easily end up as a top 3 after moving out so much talent) plus a lot of cap room this summer gives them a much better future!

Last edited by teddygmr: 02-08-2011 at 12:37 PM.
teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Simcoe23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymuffin View Post
I think burke doesnt want tor 1st back, because it would mean He admit that he was dumb ass for trading it away.
Agreed. Unless there was a multi-player deal maybe. Still have to think back to the botched trade at the draft- I always thought there was a deal in the bag between these two teams as a result of that, but too much time has passed for anything discussed then to be relevant anymore. I am not too excited about either Joe Colbourne or Blake Wheeler either. I dont think Boston is a good trading partner for Kaberle. I would prefer an out of division opponent.

Simcoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan94 View Post
You mean to tell me that Kaberle isn't worth Colborne alone?

Yeah, they are a confused bunch. They think that Boston can target Kaberle and dictate the price they pay as if no one else would have any interest whatsoever.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Simcoe23

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Burke can offer Chiarelli the Stanley Cup!
Toronto can send Kaberle (34 points, $4,250,000 pending ufa), Grabovski (41 points, $2,900,000 for 1 more year) and MacArthur (44 points, $1,100,000 pending rfa) for TOR1 back, along with bad contracts Ference (9 points, $2,225,000 for 2 more years), Ryder (29 points, $4 million pending ufa) and Wheeler (23 points, $2,200,000 pending rfa). What else would Chiarelli need to add? Colborne or BOS1?
Bruin fans may say that's too much but the salaries balance out and the infusion of talent added to Boston would vault them into top contender status in the Eastern conference!
Toronto gives up a lot but getting their TOR1 back plus a lot of cap room this summer gives them a much better future!
Are you serious? 2/3rds of our 1st line AND Kaberle for one of the picks we gave them for Kessel? If Burke did this he would get fired immediately.

Simcoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:34 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yeah, they are a confused bunch. They think that Boston can target Kaberle and dictate the price they pay as if no one else would have any interest whatsoever.
You said it yourself. NTC. He can pick and choose where he wants to go. The shorter the list he gives of teams he'd move to, the less those teams will offer.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
a new owner in Toronto would do wonders for the Leafs
Only if it meant changing the GM and coach

But seriously even it it isn't a trade with the Leafs the Bruins are in a position to challenge but probably need a few more parts.
Or maybe you think they have the parts to get it done now?

The rest of this thread is just the same old HF garbage about what is fair and what's not combined with Bruins /Leafs HF hate/mistrust and trying to screw the other side.

In the real world those involved won't be burdened with such petty behavior if they are talking trade.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Never said that at all. I'm saying hes not getting dealt to Toronto for a rental, he has first line potential.

Plus, PC won't give Toronto anything to lessen the blow of the other deals.
Yet you still have Bergeron locked-up, Krejci, and Seguin up and coming as well. I don't know much about Chiarelli's philosophy or approach other than that he ripped the Leafs pretty good last time, but I would think that he is in a position to deal a valuable centre prospect like Colborne considering the amount that seem to exist in the Bruins system, and the one or two other prospects they are likely to acquire at this draft. I guess what I am really interested is in whether or not Boston is likely to deal something of high value (like Colborne or similar, not TOR 1st or Seguin) because of their surplus or would they look at other options? Or do they revert to another plan that would require less?
(and just delay that inevitable pity trade for another time?They gotta give something back. )

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It's not like Burke's holding many cards.

- Kaberle can walk for nothing if he's not traded in three weeks
- There might only be a few teams on the list

In the summer, he could have traded Kaberle anywhere and he couldn't get an adequate offer. No reason to believe the offers would be going up.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
I don't want anybody from Toronto, and maybe we need to force MLSE to be forced out of ownership because every Leafs fan has been trying to dump Kaberle to Boston even before Burke got there----google the # of proposed trades involved w/ Boston and Kaberle the answer is NEVER
This is where you need to take off the Leaf-hate Blinders.

DISCLAIMER: Not a Bruins follower. NOT evaluating what a fair price would be for Kaberle to Boston. This is not a disscusion of "price". Also, not a lineup guru. This is what I found in a recent GDT; correct me if I am wrong:

Zdeno Chara | Steve Kampfer
Dennis Seidenberg | Johnny Boychuk
Andrew Ference | Adam McQuaid

Sorry, but this is not the blueline of a cup-winning team.

Tomas Kaberle added to your D lineup instantly makes it much much better.

Again, I reiterate: NOT evaluating what a fair price would be for Kaberle to Boston. This is not a disscusion of "price". Simply stating why I think Kaberle makes boston a better team.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblemoth View Post
Yet you still have Bergeron locked-up, Krejci, and Seguin up and coming as well. I don't know much about Chiarelli's philosophy or approach other than that he ripped the Leafs pretty good last time, but I would think that he is in a position to deal a valuable centre prospect like Colborne considering the amount that seem to exist in the Bruins system, and the one or two other prospects they are likely to acquire at this draft. I guess what I am really interested is in whether or not Boston is likely to deal something of high value (like Colborne or similar, not TOR 1st or Seguin) because of their surplus or would they look at other options? Or do they revert to another plan that would require less?
(and just delay that inevitable pity trade for another time?They gotta give something back. )
If Boston were to offer Colborne + Bos 1st they would look elsewhere for a better return than Kaberle.

The Bruins will wait for Kabs to waive his NTC and provide Burke with a list. If the list is short expect the offers to be pretty bad. Kabs holds all the cards, not the Leafs in this case.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
BlueBaron

It is amazing the hostility of Bruins fans toward the Leafs and their fans in general in this thread.

To those who say you will never get a first for a rental player obviously are new to hockey, happens every year. Yes Kaberle is not Kovalchuk but he is the best play making defenseman available.

To those fans who speak about going after inferior younger players (bagosian etc) instead of Kaberle so as not to pay as much, or to wait until the summer to sign him, that is a loser attitude, not the attitude of a contender.

If you are a play off team , as GM you are obligated to try and make the best of every chance in the post season. Who would want a GM that thought about next year when the Cup is in sight now ?

Kaberle has value, deal with it. He would also improve the Bruin power play and transition game. In the end it may not be a first round pick that gets Kaberle, Burke will take the best deal available. Considering Bergeron is only one hit away from a possible career end there is a sense of urgency. If I were a Bruin fan (my third favorite team), I would be happy with Kaberle so long as the GM doesnt sell the farm.

I predict Wheeler, Colborne and Bostons first for Kaberle and something, maybe a depth defenseman or depth forward. If anything happens at all. I hope for the Bruins sake their GM makes the move while Bergeron and Thomas are both Hot and Healthy, next year may not be quite a promising for the Bruins.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan94 View Post
You mean to tell me that Kaberle isn't worth Colborne alone?

Again, didn't say that...seems to be a trend with u guys.

All I said was its not gonna happen. PC isn't gonna trade a kid hes been developing since 2008, a first line potential talent, to a team with practically no leverage...NTC, UFA etc., for a RENTAL. Makes no sense.

Value wise? If Kaberle was on the Oilers and we didn't have the history of the Kessel trade/high draft picks etc., I'd say that deal would happen five minutes after it happened. I'm realistic though, PC ain't trading JC for KAB.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

DISCLAIMER: Not a Bruins follower. NOT evaluating what a fair price would be for Kaberle to Boston. This is not a disscusion of "price". Also, not a lineup guru. This is what I found in a recent GDT; correct me if I am wrong:

Again, I reiterate: NOT evaluating what a fair price would be for Kaberle to Boston. This is not a disscusion of "price". Simply stating why I think Kaberle makes boston a better team.
frankly, u need to do research, jmart21, there have been numerous proposals involving Boston and Kaberle, you're just too lazy to be original

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's your opinion, but it is the blueline of the best defensive team in the NHL, by a wide margin.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post

for a guy that will be available this summer
How does picking him up in the off-season help your chance at winning the Cup this year?

You also have to realize that if he hits the UFA market, there will be more than just one team after his services. Picking up a player and having a lengthy playoff run, goes a long way to retaining that player and gives you the chance to lock him up before July 1st.

Look at Bouwmeester, CGY gave up assets to land him before July 1st and got him locked up without having to compete with other teams. Detroit did a similar thing with Stuart, Pittsburgh with Guerin.

Just because he is a potential UFA, doesn't mean he makes it to July 1st. If he comes to Boston and loves it there, don't you think he may take a discount to stay on the team? Or would you rather compete with multiple teams, driving up the price?

There is a funny notion on this board that players who hit UFA are 'free'; they cost cap space and usually have inflated salaries. Boston being a team close to the cap a million here and there means a lot.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
It is amazing the hostility of Bruins fans toward the Leafs and their fans in general in this thread.
To those who say you will never get a first for a rental player obviously are new to hockey, happens every year. Yes Kaberle is not Kovalchuk but he is the best play making defenseman available.
To those fans who speak about going after inferior younger players (bagosian etc) instead of Kaberle so as not to pay as much, or to wait until the summer to sign him, that is a loser attitude, not the attitude of a contender.
If you are a play off team , as GM you are obligated to try and make the best of every chance in the post season. Who would want a GM that thought about next year when the Cup is in sight now ?
Kaberle has value, deal with it. He would also improve the Bruin power play and transition game. In the end it may not be a first round pick that gets Kaberle, Burke will take the best deal available. Considering Bergeron is only one hit away from a possible career end there is a sense of urgency. If I were a Bruin fan (my third favorite team), I would be happy with Kaberle so long as the GM doesnt sell the farm.
I predict Wheeler, Colborne and Bostons first for Kaberle and something, maybe a depth defenseman or depth forward. If anything happens at all. I hope for the Bruins sake their GM makes the move while Bergeron and Thomas are both Hot and Healthy, next year may not be quite a promising for the Bruins.
Wearing a disguise, Burkie adds his two cents.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:

That blueline is backed by a goalie playing out of his mind and what I have assumed to be some solid two way play by forwards, not to mention it still contains a Norris-winner in Chara. Just saying. This obsession of reparation from Boston has clouded some people's evaluations of the matters, I do believe.

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
frankly, u need to do research, jmart21, there have been numerous proposals involving Boston and Kaberle, you're jusr too lazy to be original
haha be original? by what means? I'm not here to make a proposal! Did you even read what I wrote?

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post

Yea. The Bruins are really under the gun seeing as how they have a top-10 farm and the vast majority of key roster players under 25 and locked up long term. What are they ever to do if they don't win a cup this year.

Again. Kaberle holds all the cards. He can hand Burke a list. If that list includes every eastern conference team I'm sure that Burke can get something of value for him. If that list is Bos, Mon, NYR you're going to have a hard time getting better offers than a mid-tier prospect and a 2nd or watching him walk for nothing in the offseason.

Old
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblemoth View Post
Krejci is underperforming, Seguin hasn't shown anything consistent yet, and Colborne hasnt even made the team yet. Bergeron is our only legit top six center right now.

And trading a center because we have a lot of depth isn't a good reason at all. Seguin and Colborne both have the ability to play wing...Colborne played in a lot in college.

Before the season people were talking about trading Colborne/Savard and drafting Fowler instead of Seguin...look at our depth now? Savard (done), Krejci (underperforming), Bergy (stud), Seguin (young, not performing as expected), Colborne (didn't make the team)

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Vexxed14

You guys need to stop thinking that the GM's sit there and think about how to make each others teams suffer. They are concerned about making their own teams better.

If Kaberle becomes the player that Boston feels they need, they will go after him. Rask, Kessel... who cares? This would be a deal now about what each team needs now, not about what they traded a year or more ago.

What do you think Boston cares about more, winning a cup or maximizing an extra 1st rd pick that wont mean anything for a long time and is more likely to be trade bait in the future than a main stay in the lineup?

Let's get real here guys, if they feel Kabby is the missing piece they would send back the bank for him, just being in the same division means they will have to overpay and that is being said as a default standard between the teams before mentioning a player.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote