HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2010/11 Draft depth or lack of

Old
02-09-2011, 07:39 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 500
2010/11 Draft depth or lack of

I was commenting on a trade proposal the other day and I was wondering why HF members are putting so much value on 1st round pick this year?

The projected draft seems to have no superstar but 5 or 6 solid prospects then the quality goes down .... like most years.

The dilemna seems to be about the quality of this year draft: is it deep or is it a weak draft.

If it's a weak draft, lower first round picks should be tradeable if playoff teams are trying to acquire actual NHL players to win the Stanley Cup.

If it's a deep draft, lower first round picks could be downgradable for high seconds since scouts will have different ranking on their scouting sheets. And their pick could very likely be available 10-15 spots later. From a 24-30 range to 30-38 position.

Discuss

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I was commenting on a trade proposal the other day and I was wondering why HF members are putting so much value on 1st round pick this year?

The projected draft seems to have no superstar but 5 or 6 solid prospects then the quality goes down .... like most years.

The dilemna seems to be about the quality of this year draft: is it deep or is it a weak draft.

If it's a weak draft, lower first round picks should be tradeable if playoff teams are trying to acquire actual NHL players to win the Stanley Cup.

If it's a deep draft, lower first round picks could be downgradable for high seconds since scouts will have different ranking on their scouting sheets. And their pick could very likely be available 10-15 spots later. From a 24-30 range to 30-38 position.

Discuss
Two years ago a THN article came out saying that scouts across the board saw this as a weak draft, with only a few good prospects at the top, (courtier and Larsson) being those two, now that has changed with landeskog and a few others, I personally still see it as a weak draft. But some of the draft gurus still see a lot of depth here, (my two cents)

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

2004 was a weak draft as well. Outside of the top two picks there was no high end talent available.

That said, all but a handful of players in the first round played significant time in the NHL. Some guys that went late were Jeff Schultz (27th overall), Mike Green (29th overall), Dave Bolland (32nd overall), Blake Comeau (47th overall), Brandon Dubinsky (60th overall), Alex Goligoski (61st overall), David Krejci (63rd overall), yada yada yada.

Drafts lacking strong high end talent just means scouting staff will have to be doing their homework, very good players can still be taken away.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Ricky Bobby

Don't you know that every first round pick on HFBoards is going to turn into a star player.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
WestIslander

I want to see another 2003 draft!

I think it was the deepest draft in the history of the NHL.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
thalegion

What Kaos said, top end talent is lower but it will be deeper in serviceable players

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
seanlinden

HFboards will always grossly overvalue 1st round picks. Everybody thinks they're automatically getting the next Bobby Ryan or Anze Kopitar and not the next Gilbert Brule, Jack Skille, Brian Lee, Marek Zagrapan or Sasha Pokulok.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Alex28*

Everyone always says every draft will be a **** draft before the draft. Then some team gets a Tyler Myers or Jordan Eberle or John Carlson or Dmitry Kulikov or Jeff Skinner or Cam Fowler from outside the lottery range and pretty much has an important spot cheaply locked up by a quality player with game-changing abilities early on in his career for 7 years, maybe more. Then some other teams that might miss out on those players still get exceptional players that take longer to reach or make an impact in the NHL but still can become important core players, guys like Leddy, Kreider, Despres, Josefson, Johansson, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Rundblad, etc. Usually people that scout players well enough and don't let their biases get in the way of selecting the BPA won't draft a Lee or a Pokulok or a Tlusty or a Connolly or a McIlrath.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I like a lot of guys in the top 15. I'm sure there will be some guys in the later rounds who'll come around and surprise us. Still too early to tell. Wait till these kids have gone through the playoffs.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
guyzeur

My thread is not to discuss the draft depth but rather to understand the disconnect between someone that would say it's a weak draft and I don't want to trade our low 1st round pick for actual bonifide NHL players

Like in most Leafs and Oilers proposal asking a low first pick (25-30) for a 3rd pairing D or bottom 6 forwards.

Using the Leafs and Oilers because they would understand the joke, right guys?

Last edited by guyzeur: 02-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
First of all, it's not a "weak draft".

Second of all, first round picks will always have value.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
First of all, it's not a "weak draft".

Second of all, first round picks will always have value.
This thread is not about the draft, it's about HFboarders saying in one proposal it's a deep draft but we can't trade our low first for a high 2nd lets say.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
This thread is not about the draft, it's about HFboarders saying in one proposal it's a deep draft but we can't trade our low first for a high 2nd lets say.
Its not a weak draft.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Its not a weak draft.

Old
02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
sauce11

this thread is more usless than a late first-rounder

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:43 PM
insider

Why do 1st rounders have so much value this year? Simple. 4 of the 6 Canadian teams suck and their fanbases are looking to rebuild with youth. This creates the illusion that demand for 1st round picks is very high and therefore that their value would be high.

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:18 PM
German Senator

It is a good draft for teams who are rebuilding like the Sens or the Oilers because it is supposed to be a pretty deep one. Gain a lot of picks at the deadline and you probably gain a lot of talent at the draft.

This draft is just lacking potential superstars like Hall, Tavares, Stamkos.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote