Lightning coach Guy Boucher said he really is not looking forward to seeing his face on the new scoreboard at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
"If I can avoid it, perfect," he said, laughing.
The scoreboard, expected to be installed by Sept. 23
Replacing the scoreboard became a necessity after the company that in 2007 constructed and installed the current $4 million board went out of business. That made repairs difficult, Griggs said.
• The lengthwise LED video boards will be 50 feet wide, 28 feet high. Those facing the arena ends will be 20 feet wide, 28 feet high. The current video board is 28 feet wide, 16 feet high on each side, meaning the new scoreboard will have 3,920 square feet of video display capability compared to 1,792 square feet with the current boards.
• The lengthwise video boards will have 1,296 horizontal lines of resolution, or pixels, and 2,304 vertical. A standard HD TV is 1,080 x 1,920, Stevens said.
• The video boards will be able to present 144 quadrillion shades of color, the team said.
• The scoreboard weighs 68,000 pounds — the old board, 40,000. Though the Times Forum roof did not need reinforcement, Griggs said a new hoist system (price included in the $5 million) was necessary to lift and hold the scoreboard in place.
• The video boards will be integrated with the existing LED ribbons circling the arena bowl, creating "a seamless presentation fans will really enjoy," Griggs said.
Still waiting on that black they promised to bring back to the jersey.
Guess that was just to appease the angry folks like myself, knowing most of the angry people will forget about it and be quiet?
Victory stripes, and more black are very much needed. On the jersey for one, and still would like to see black added to the elementary logo to improve it.
Just saw on icethetics the new Syracuse Crunch logo with our colors, and of course no black in it at all. Showing they aren't going to be adding more black it seems. So it re-irritated me.
Also, when we do get another 3rd, we're just gonna be like the Leafs we already look like and get 2 blue jerseys?
They can even push it into a new marketing campaign like so many other teams in sports do: Back in Black (plus victory stripes).
The worst thing they could do is add new features to an existing jersey. I know I would be pissed off if I had already bought a new jersey. I love the victory stripes too, but please dont add them on now, its too late.
Jeff Vinik doesn't just plan to remake Channelside Bay Plaza. He wants to re-imagine it.
The Tampa Bay Lightning owner plans to make the troubled development more pedestrian-friendly; add retail and possibly a hotel to bring in more visitors; and link it to the Tampa Bay Times Forum and Florida Aquarium to turn the Channelside district into a seamless waterside entertainment area linked to Tampa's Riverwalk, the 2.2 mile waterfront walkway.
"We want more people to come downtown," said Hillsborough County Commissioner Sandra Murman, "and this whole concept is just going to enliven this area."
Vinik and his partners are negotiating with the Anglo Irish Bank of Dublin to take over the 234,520-square-foot structure. Their plans are just ideas and concepts at this stage. They are not firm and have not been made public. But they were shown to the Tampa Port Authority's governing board, which Murman sits on.