HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Complete Rebranding, New Logo & Arena Renovations - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
To my untrained eye, maybe they resized the oval so it wouldn't be as prominent in versions where they had they also had the lettering?

I get what the Lightning were trying to do here with the logo, but they can't go around saying that they have a classically designed logo in this case. I think my, and most of our overall opinions would be much higher if they hadn't done that.

There's too many new, and quasi-experimental (or undercooked) elements to really be able to compare it to any of the O6.
Someone here said it earlier, that this look is "retro-future". I think that hit the nail on the head. I actually think retro-future is pretty damn cool (like "Googie" architecture and whatnot). This oval is just throwing me off though.

Old
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I Am Beat You

What is retro or futuristic about it?

Old
03-04-2011, 08:53 PM
ImaPuckhead

Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-MK1-BLACK-Backpack-Brand-Spankn-NEW-/260745420541?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item3cb5a35efd#ht_1208wt_700

Check out this link - its the brand new Bolts logo on some black backpack.

No mention of the hockey team......

Old
03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

hurf durf a funny!

Old
03-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPuckhead View Post
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-MK1-BLACK-Backpack-Brand-Spankn-NEW-/260745420541?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item3cb5a35efd#ht_1208wt_700

People bringing this up is really starting to bug me. This new logo is not that far of a stretch from the original logo aside from the monotone and removing the word-marks. Yet people are still trying to compare it to this "electric" company saying they should sue Vinik. A company that has only been around since 2000, Get real.

And I am sure the Gatorade jokes have been around since the first logo so it is not new, clever or original. end rant/

Old
03-05-2011, 02:28 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Code:

Because that's not the new logo. That's the logo for Electric Visual. They make sunglasses, snow goggles, and accessories (like this backpack). They also recently dipped into the clothing market as I've started to see their stuff at PacSun.

vs.

Old
03-05-2011, 09:36 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Code:

Old
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
Someone here said it earlier, that this look is "retro-future". I think that hit the nail on the head. I actually think retro-future is pretty damn cool (like "Googie" architecture and whatnot). This oval is just throwing me off though.
The original designer was the one to use the term.

The inescapable part of that for me is that:
1. O6 logos were designed before 50's, meaning they took stylistic cues from earlier decades of design, (existence didn't begin as soon as you were born. Looking at you designer and Vinik.) and
2. the whole 'future' thing was a colossal, epic bust in the truest sense of the word.

I'm a history nerd, so not being 'all in' about doing the research and really figuring out the O6 logos bothers me to no end.

On a side note, how many Van Der Beek gifs do you have?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-06-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
The original designer was the one to use the term.

The inescapable part of that for me is that:
1. O6 logos were designed before 50's, meaning they took stylistic cues from earlier decades of design, (existence didn't begin as soon as you were born. Looking at you designer and Vinik.) and
2. the whole 'future' thing was a colossal, epic bust in the truest sense of the word.

I'm a history nerd, so not being 'all in' about doing the research and really figuring out the O6 logos bothers me to no end.

On a side note, how many Van Der Beek gifs do you have?
I don't have any, but jamesvandermemes.com has one for every occasion lol.

Look, I don't buy in to the whole O6 thing claiming they are more simple. Classic, yes. Traditional, sure. But the Red Wings and Blackhawks, for example, have very detailed and intricate designs - hence you can have detail and still be iconic. The retrofuture thing, or future imagined decades ago is, to me, nothing short of cool. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of our logo, I just don't believe it was executed properly.

Old
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Old
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post

Old
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The logo on the home blues looks like a logo for a local electric company. It's a shame the logo in albatross' avatar isn't the real logo. Simple, neat, and old school.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
People bringing this up is really starting to bug me. This new logo is not that far of a stretch from the original logo aside from the monotone and removing the word-marks. Yet people are still trying to compare it to this "electric" company saying they should sue Vinik. A company that has only been around since 2000, Get real.

And I am sure the Gatorade jokes have been around since the first logo so it is not new, clever or original. end rant/
Heyyyyyy. It DOES look like a Gatorade bolt.

That would be awesome if their jerseys were green and the bolt was orange.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

So it being a secondary logo makes it not real? Makes sense ... or not.

Old
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Yo dawg I herd you like pucks so we put a puck in your logo so you can look at a puck when you're looking at your puck.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I want bladowws as a logo because SHOW ME YOUR CANS

Old
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

I really dig the current logo/color scheme. I'm a Caps fan but I'll probably scan the Lightning website when the season is over to try and pick up some discounted stuff. I figure they'll try to move out a lot of the older stuff after the playoffs.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:49 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I want bladowws as a logo because SHOW ME YOUR CANS
LMFAO

Old
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
LightningStrikes

Kinda odd that Lightning radio is using a different logo:

Old
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Stephen

Not sure why they don't go with the shoulder patch if they want a classic logo look, or at the very least, just re-use the shape of the logo now...

Old
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Yo dawg I herd you like pucks so we put a puck in your logo so you can look at a puck when you're looking at your puck.
Lmao!

Old
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
Lmao!
Your avatar actually illustrates one of my key points of contention.

Since there's literally nothing to fill the puck portion of the logo, it gets a backing color that's not only arbitrary, but also makes it unclear about where the logo 'ends.

It's a very 'versatile' logo (maybe it can quarterback our PP), where it can't be said about other NHL logos.

Old
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Your avatar actually illustrates one of my key points of contention.

Since there's literally nothing to fill the puck portion of the logo, it gets a backing color that's not only arbitrary, but also makes it unclear about where the logo 'ends.

It's a very 'versatile' logo (maybe it can quarterback our PP), where it can't be said about other NHL logos.
Yes I agree. I actually am I big fan of the logo, but just as you said, there is no end. If I leave the "white" in my avatar out of it, it does not stand out at all to the BG I used. I didnt care to put to much effort to the avatar so I ended it with that lol. The logo relies on the background it is against, which leaves question marks to me, and thats one of the only flaws I see with the re-brand. I am sure marketing and the design team has thought that through though, as I have not seen it clash bad from all the placement Ive seen so far.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I see today that the Lightning are already using a card system, but I think they can take it one step further by allowing those cards to function as an alternative to the RFID chips, should we find those too big brothery.

Quote:
Season Tickets - Pay In Full

Stash the cash and flash the card to bag must-have Lightning merchandise and memorabilia (ready for inking at one of many autograph sessions). When you pay your season ticket balance in full by March 25th, 2011, you'll receive 3% of your net season ticket holder account value in Forum Funds.
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.h...tbl-int:header

I can actually see such cards becoming collectors items in themselves, especially if there was some degree of individual uniqueness to them (having a specific player's photo, coloring, season, etc.)

Imagine if they had already been around. Who wouldn't want to have a Marty cardy specific to the 2003-04 season? That's like instant street cred in your wallet.

It could also serve as an unofficial survey for the team of who STH's are liking the most at that moment. They can then base future giveaways around that information, etc.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-19-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old
03-19-2011, 01:32 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I see today that the Lightning are already using a card system, but I think they can take it one step further by allowing those cards to function as an alternative to the RFID chips, should we find those too big brothery.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.h...tbl-int:header

I can actually see such cards becoming collectors items in themselves, especially if there was some degree of individual uniqueness to them (having a specific player's photo, coloring, season, etc.)

Imagine if they had already been around. Who wouldn't want to have a Marty cardy specific to the 2003-04 season? That's like instant street cred in your wallet.

It could also serve as an unofficial survey for the team of who STH's are liking the most at that moment. They can then base future giveaways around that information, etc.
Don't think fully customizable like that, think more... Buccanneers STHs last year. I'll try to snap a photo of mine, but really its just two red credit cards (two seats, of course) with your seat number/section/important ****, but the most important thing for businesses who are looking to hand these out - no more will call, no more ticket window, no more coordinating with other people to give them tickets for a game you might not make. You'll most likely have a login on the bolts website, and you can email any tickets for any game to anyone of your choosing. That in itself is incredibly handy, I can't tell you how nice it was not having to drive from Tampa to St. Pete to get tickets for the Bucs, and drive back. On top of that I think you can also put some cash on your account/card for events but I doubt anyone does that because... well, its 2011 and everyone runs credit.

You get one *****in' graphic on the card, though, last year was the team in the huddle before kickoff and it looked pretty cool. You raise a great point, though - it'd be fun to give the fans some options. "Certainly sir, and would you like a Marty, Vinny, Stamkos, Hedman, or Downie card? The Downie card actually comes with drops of Steves own blood."

Closed Thread