HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Leclerc looks at Pierre Gauthier's first year as GM

Old
02-08-2011, 04:25 PM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
Gauthier's first deadline?

Would you consider this year's trade deadline to be Gauthier's first?

Gainey resigned last year close to the trade deadline, close enough to make me think that even if Gauthier traded for Dominic Moore and sent D'agostini to the Blues he didn't really have the time to prepare himself as much as he could of.

Surely the trade deadline is something you prepare at least 2 months ahead?

So far with the habs i think he did a good job, can't wait to see what he's going to do

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Would you consider this year's trade deadline to be Gauthier's first?

Gainey resigned last year close to the trade deadline, close enough to make me think that even if Gauthier traded for Dominic Moore and sent D'agostini to the Blues he didn't really have the time to prepare himself as much as he could of.

Surely the trade deadline is something you prepare at least 2 months ahead?

So far with the habs i think he did a good job, can't wait to see what he's going to do
Nope last year was his first.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Phousse

Wasn't he assistant GM? I'm sure he had plenty of input.

Phousse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
pine*

Gauthier was with Gainey, now Gainey is with Gauthier.

no big deal. Nothing to see here. And it was 'his' first TD last year.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Slippin Jimmy
You'd Better RUN!

I don't think we've made a deadline move in the past 2 years have we?

Slippin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 335
Martin Leclerc looks at Pierre Gauthier's first year as GM

http://ruefrontenac.com/mleclerc/334...=default&page=
He looks at the trades he made so far.

What do you guys think of his first year?
Good, bad,average?

I thought he was pretty good

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
http://ruefrontenac.com/mleclerc/334...=default&page=
He looks at the trades he made so far.

What do you guys think of his first year?
Good, bad,average?

I thought he was pretty good
He essentially inherited a Bob Gainey built team, but has added some key pieces. Under Gauthier the Habs had their most successful season since 1993 making it to the ECF last year. The team has continued to gel under Martin's system and even despite injuries continue to win games and are competing for a top 3 seed. A+

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
BLONG7

good job!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Kenny Powders

I can't help but go out laughing when i see ''Avantage Nashville'' and ''Avantange St.Louis'' when I see the Halak and S.Kost trade.

People never look any further than the freaking points. Sergei couldnt play in a market where he was getting that much attention outside of hockey. He's a guy who loves the spotlight and he had it in montréal (For beeing a hockey player). He's doing good in Nashville and i'm happy for him, but good riddance seriously.

For the Halak trade, we need to look in the future, Eller is a raw gem. Martin will do wonder with him. Same goes with Schultz who IMO gonna become a Chris Neil type of player. Maybe not putting the points Neil was on his prime but an New-NHL enforcer like Neil is. Plus the last point, Trading Halak gave us space to sign Plekanec having Price as a #1 tender .. Talk about losing a trade ..

And for the O'B trade, It's seriously a tie. Bournival is a great prospect for us, and O'B lost all confidence here beeing not able to take a spot in the top 6. How that can't be an avantage to a team ..

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
People seem to forget that Gauthier was GM for Ottawa from '95 to '98 and for Anaheim between '98 to '02, so yeah, for the Habs, it's his second trade deadline, but it's not considering his experience...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Same goes with Schultz who IMO gonna become a Chris Neil type of player. Maybe not putting the points Neil was on his prime but an New-NHL enforcer like Neil is. Plus the last point, Trading Halak gave us space to sign Plekanec having Price as a #1 tender .. Talk about losing a trade ..

And for the O'B trade, It's seriously a tie. Bournival is a great prospect for us, and O'B lost all confidence here beeing not able to take a spot in the top 6. How that can't be an avantage to a team ..
So far Schultz has been less then impressive in Hamilton, 0 pts and a -5. What's really surprised me is that he has not been very physical. Perhaps he'll turn it around when he comes back, although I'd rather see Bishop in the lineup.

I hated to see O'B get traded, was one of his bigger fans around here since he was at Cornell. I'm interested to see what Bournival can do in a couple years but would rather they kept OB (granted who knew the injury bug would hit our D so hard).

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
deandebean

The Halak trade is not looking so hot for St-Louis if you ask me. The savior they were expecting is having a Jocelyn Thibault-type of season. Not even close right now to Carey's. By reading some press coverage from St-Louis, the team seems disappointed in him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Craig71

He will not do much.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
He'll probably get his work done before the deadline.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
InglewoodJack

Halak has been playing better than Eller, and Shultz, and SK has been playing better than Boyd and Ellis (who is already gone!). That's not to say one team got burned, but today, February 8th, 2010, Halak and SK are better than Eller and Boyd.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
The Halak trade is not looking so hot for St-Louis if you ask me. The savior they were expecting is having a Jocelyn Thibault-type of season. Not even close right now to Carey's. By reading some press coverage from St-Louis, the team seems disappointed in him.
St. Louis has been ravage by injuries. Far worse than us.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
RE-HABS

Gauthier will make a trade before the deadline, he has said himself he doesn't believe in last minute moves. He thinks a player should be with the team for a period of time to gel and be a part of the team. He will make a trade sooner, rather than later as he also doesn't believe in over paying for a rental. He will be looking for a player under contract.

This is his 2nd deadline with Montreal, he did well last year, I think he will do well again this year.

Having Cammy comeback from injury once again will feel like getting a top 6 guy, and the rest once again maybe a bonus in him going hot in the playoffs once again.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Halak has been playing better than Eller, and Shultz, and SK has been playing better than Boyd and Ellis (who is already gone!). That's not to say one team got burned, but today, February 8th, 2010, Halak and SK are better than Eller and Boyd.
Never ever look at a trade not even 1 year in.

+ those trades involves prospects or young player, so you just can't say who won what.

Based on what you say, Philadelphia won the trade when they traded for Lindros ..

Old
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Gary320

I think it's still way too early to say.. tell me again in 5 years what I think of Gauthiers run as GM.

The only decision I didn't like was Ryan O'Byrne, I really wish we gave him one more year, I understand the decision.. just wish it wasn't done.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Subban76

I've enjoyed what he has done so far, but the real test will be this summer whit the D situation and the increase in the cap. I can't wait to see what will happen???

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Never ever look at a trade not even 1 year in.

+ those trades involves prospects or young player, so you just can't say who won what.

Based on what you say, Philadelphia won the trade when they traded for Lindros ..
He says "Until Proven wrong". So if Eller continues to be the player he currently is, and Halak does as well, St. Louis wins. That's not to say Eller won't become the 70 point player many hope for him to be, and Halak doesn't become crappy. But as of today, St. Louis has the better player (until Eller becomes better)

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
He says "Until Proven wrong". So if Eller continues to be the player he currently is, and Halak does as well, St. Louis wins. That's not to say Eller won't become the 70 point player many hope for him to be, and Halak doesn't become crappy. But as of today, St. Louis has the better player (until Eller becomes better)
I understand what you're saying really.

You have to analyze the Halak trade way further than just Halak vs Eller + Schultz.

The trade involved having Price being our starter and #1 goalie, releasing all the pressure he had because of Halak performing better than him. It's a matter of getting assets to your club for a goalie we haven't gave any assets for (7th round pick). Plus, you get the signature of Plekanec (which is Halak money basically). So the management side of this trade is largely winner in this trade. I rather have Price as #1, Eller as a raw gem + Schultz (Who might develop, if not who cares?).

This trade is larger than what people think, It gave us Price as a starting goaltender, Plekanec resigned, Eller and Schultz for Halak.

Old
02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
HomaridII

The biggest impact move Gauthier has made so far is resigning Plekanec long term to a reasonable contract IMO. Other than that his other moves have been patching holes or trading away unwanted parts.

Getting Wiz was a good move giving our D situation, but the key to me will be what he does the next two weeks, I hope a significant young player is not traded away in a desperation move. Also crucial will be what he does this summer with Wiz, Gill, Gorges, Markov and Hamrlik. The choices he makes there will be important ton the team's future.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

PG has been a solid "patcher" so far. Let's see what he does to put us on top.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Habs

The Halak and O'Byrne trades were terrible. He should have waited till the last minute to deal Halak, if nothing else he couldn't have done worse by waiting. I give him props on the Wiz trade, but he hasn't done anything spectacular, every GM does something right once in a while.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote