HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Leclerc looks at Pierre Gauthier's first year as GM

Old
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
JayBee*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about demoting him to the AHL. I'm not sold either way on it being a good option for him. Earlier in the season he was showing some great things, for about a week and a half, I remember the Eller, Pouliot, Darche line being the only one that could hold the puck in the offensive zone and cause anything. I agree that he should bulk up, but while being an inch shorter than Patches (as per hockeydb), he's only 5 pounds lighter. So he doesn't seem to be too far off the mark, although who knows what those values would be now that we're halfway through the season.

I'd like to see them let Eller carry the puck a bit more. More than once I've seen him gain the zone by being shifty and smart, not by just blasting by everyone like Gomez.
I don't think you can send him down now. I wanted to send him down earlier.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
That's not really any way to look at a trade involving a rookie player though. I mean, do you think as of today that Toronto won the Kessel trade? Because in February 2011, Kessel is a much better player than Seguin is and I don't see those 2 picks of the next draft doing anything on the ice for the Bruins. They might turn out to be 2 busts for all we know.

Gauthier said it himself, Eller is a guy they got for the future, not for this year so much. It would have taken a miracle year for Eller to out-play what Halak can do this year (or a pathetic year for Halak, who is really having a sub-par year tbh, out of the 28 goalies that played 30 games or more this season he has the 21st save %, so he's in the bottom tier of the league as far as starting goalies go and you can blame injuries all you want, for seeing most of the highlights a damn lot of the goals were softies, he's been highly inconsistent).

I really dislike in general this whole 'team A won trade vs team B' thing because in general it ignores so many damn variables (cap space saved, how the player that was traded would have done for the team that had him before vs what he did somewhere else, market value at the time of the trade, etc.).

And totally off-topic, I live in Boston now but I'm from Châteauguay too, nice to see someone from over there
Well at that moment in time, Kessel is better than Seguin, the second, and the yet undrafted player. So call it an "Early lead". I fully expect Seguin to be better than Kessel. So in the long run, it's good for Boston, but if nothing changes (Seguin doesn't get better/worse, the players not yet in the NHL never make it, Kessel plateaus), then Toronto has won.

I agree that Teams winning trades is annoying, but I'm just making sense of the article.
And hey, you're not the dude who used to live in Chateauguay and taught at CVR?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I find it dumb to look at a trade aimed at helping your future(in 3-5 years) and evaluate it with a "what do we have now" attitude.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Halak was going to help more than Eller in 2010-2011 or that O'byrne would more than Bournival. PG knew that when he made those deals.

What a lot of fans and journalists don't understand is that we were up against the cap so adding prospects or players on ELC's was better than guys making 4 mil to play 2nd line. I'm sure we could have had Boyes or Malone instaed of Eller but we would have had to cut somewhere else to fit it under the cap so a young player is worth more in this situation.

When I look at PG's work after 1 year, I think he's done pretty good considering that he walked into a very difficult situation.

a cap limit team with a bad track record of managing/communicating with players (especially young ones) and a few "trouble" spots on the verge of eruption... not exactly a cake-walk.

he's done a good job with re-signing players, and Halpern was a great UFA signing.

This summer, with cap space coming up from UFA's and important decisions to make regarding the core make-up of our defense (Markov, Gorges, Hamrlik), we'll really see his talents as a GM.

It may only be his 2nd offseason, but I think it's shaping up to be a "make-it, break-it" offseason for him.
A few great GM moves, and this team could quickly become a legitimate contender with a pretty good quality pipeline of young players on the way up (Eller, MaxPac, Subban, Weber, Leblanc, Tinordi, White, Avtsin...).
A few awful GM moves, and we are right back to the "cap-spending bubble playoff team" level, if not worse.

my fingers are firmly crossed!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
So Halak is the reason why the Blues are out of the playoffs? Injuries to key players has nothing to do with it?
Never said that, just pointing out the facts.

Quote:
Halak is proven and we know what he can do. He had a hot start..then tailed off when the injuries started popping up. The Blues have their starting goalie for years to come.
Like others have pointed out, Halak hasnt proven anything yet except that he is a young talented goalie.

Quote:
I'd say at this point, Halak is more valuable than Eller is.If you think the Habs stole that deal then you're either a Halak hater, or an Eller apologist.
You are missing the point of my post. From the Blues perspective, they could have signed a number of UFA goaltenders for cheap, gotten the same production, and still retained their best offensive prospect. Blues weakness is their depth, particularly on forward, trading away their best future piece for something that could have been had for free and a cheaper contract is poor management asset.

I dont give a rats ass about "who won the trade," just pointing out that as of right now, this trade looks subject IMO for the Blues. On the flip side, Montreals asset management was excellent. They traded a goalie when they had an equivalent and younger, cheaper goalie already, for a center prospect that they needed.

Maybe the blues did get the best player? I dont know yet, but from a business standpoint, Montreal ripped the Blues a new one. But that is what usually happens when you have an expendable and desireable asset.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If we're going to talk about asset management, then I'd say getting a top 6 winger (a need) would have been better asset management.

No one is ripping on Eller. He just isn't ready to play in the NHL right now. He needs to play in Hamilton on a top line and develop his game. I see signs that he can be special, but that's not enough at this point. He needs to play bigger minutes in the AHL. He isn't really bringing much to the team right now.
If a team has a 1 mil cap hit top 6 player, chances are that player is pretty much untoucheable. Top 6 wingers come with a large cap hit. I'm sure St.Louis would have gladly traded us Boyes but we would have been 3 mil over the cap so we'd be giving away Halak. How is bringing in a player you can't fit under the cap good asset management? ...it's the exact opposite.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Perrah

Quote:
If we're going to talk about asset management, then I'd say getting a top 6 winger (a need) would have been better asset management.

No one is ripping on Eller. He just isn't ready to play in the NHL right now. He needs to play in Hamilton on a top line and develop his game. I see signs that he can be special, but that's not enough at this point. He needs to play bigger minutes in the AHL. He isn't really bringing much to the team right now.
Sure a younger top 6 guy would have been ideal, hate to be a broken record but they needed cheap contracts and the goalies arent in high demand. Overall I think PG has done a good job of getting players he needs, minus the top 6 guy.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Sure a younger top 6 guy would have been ideal, hate to be a broken record but they needed cheap contracts and the goalies arent in high demand.
It is a lot to ask for a RFA goaltender in a crap market in addition. Eller and a prospect is a good return all things considered. I am sure PG looked at a number of options of the Blues team. There is a two way process here, PG just cant get whatever he wants.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about demoting him to the AHL. I'm not sold either way on it being a good option for him. Earlier in the season he was showing some great things, for about a week and a half, I remember the Eller, Pouliot, Darche line being the only one that could hold the puck in the offensive zone and cause anything. I agree that he should bulk up, but while being an inch shorter than Patches (as per hockeydb), he's only 5 pounds lighter. So he doesn't seem to be too far off the mark, although who knows what those values would be now that we're halfway through the season.

I'd like to see them let Eller carry the puck a bit more. More than once I've seen him gain the zone by being shifty and smart, not by just blasting by everyone like Gomez.
I think Pacioretty and Eller are both 6'2" but Max is 208lbs and Eller about 198lbs...or at least that's what they started the year at. Eller is already pretty strong on the puck, I think another 10lbs would make a difference.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
When I look at PG's work after 1 year, I think he's done pretty good considering that he walked into a very difficult situation.

a cap limit team with a bad track record of managing/communicating with players (especially young ones) and a few "trouble" spots on the verge of eruption... not exactly a cake-walk.

he's done a good job with re-signing players, and Halpern was a great UFA signing.

This summer, with cap space coming up from UFA's and important decisions to make regarding the core make-up of our defense (Markov, Gorges, Hamrlik), we'll really see his talents as a GM.

It may only be his 2nd offseason, but I think it's shaping up to be a "make-it, break-it" offseason for him.
A few great GM moves, and this team could quickly become a legitimate contender with a pretty good quality pipeline of young players on the way up (Eller, MaxPac, Subban, Weber, Leblanc, Tinordi, White, Avtsin...).
A few awful GM moves, and we are right back to the "cap-spending bubble playoff team" level, if not worse.

my fingers are firmly crossed!
I agree...how he manages our cap room and the needs on defense will be a big test for him. Assuming the players we have all want to come back at a reasonable price, he has the tools to build a strong, deep defense next year. Only the Spacek situation may require a bit of stickhandling(keep him or try to trade him) if we want to keep guys like Hamrlik, Gill, Markov and Wiz.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
But could was a top6 return for Halak a possibility? Was it on the table? And what kind of top 6 player? Another AK type?..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I find it dumb to look at a trade aimed at helping your future(in 3-5 years) and evaluate it with a "what do we have now" attitude.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Halak was going to help more than Eller in 2010-2011 or that O'byrne would more than Bournival. PG knew that when he made those deals.

What a lot of fans and journalists don't understand is that we were up against the cap so adding prospects or players on ELC's was better than guys making 4 mil to play 2nd line. I'm sure we could have had Boyes or Malone instaed of Eller but we would have had to cut somewhere else to fit it under the cap so a young player is worth more in this situation.
Doesn't take a genius? Depends, I'm sure that everybody here thought Eller would have brought much more right now. Not a Crosby type of performance but a better one than a guy most people think would be better suited for another AHL trip. As far as O'Byrne is concerned, you mean the guy most people thought he'd be nothing more than a an NHL reserve all of life due to poor hockey sense and all? I am also pretty sure that even if the guy we got in return is not playing in the NHL, nobody thought the gap would be, right now, so great.

Yes, we were up against the cap...but let say, for example, that it's true that St-Louis offered either Berglund or Eller in the trade and we went for Eller (again, I am confident Eller will turn this around soon)...wouldn't that answer a need on the 3rd line as the centerman position? Berglund or Desharnais? Gap could still be there though Halak is not exactly incredible, but it could have been more helpful...and I'm not talking about a 4 M$ vet here.

See, it might be dump to you...but the same people who think that, will come back in 5 years and say how great we are with Bournival and that the trade was steal...but will totally disregard what O'Byrne would have done previously.....It works both ways, and the only way to work it, is by analysing what we see now, and what we'll see then. Don't see what the problem is, we traded assets, we are still struggling in some areas that weren,t answered, and it would have been nice to answer it with products of trades. We will see how it will turn out. But the beauty of it is that if those products ends up great....Gauthier will have all the credit then. And the beauty of it also is that he's not exactly bashed for what he has received....just that it's an acknowledgment that all of our needs are still not answered.

I mean the perfect recipe is in order here. A little bit now, a little previsions for the future. I mean, you are talking to one of the best Bournival fan here....You are also talking about the guy who was ECSTATIC about getting my boy from Michigan in Palushaj...so don't worry, I see what the future could hold. But I also see the needs we have right now. Just ask yourself if you're confortable with the bottom 6 that we have. If you are confortable with the top 6 as well. And the bottom D's also. That's all. I mean, I love how I keep reading how we should refrain from talking about the draft....or the trades...'cause it's obviously way too soon to discuss about it...But then, when we talk about it in 4 years, we've being blamed for "hindsighting".....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
But could was a top6 return for Halak a possibility? Was it on the table? And what kind of top 6 player? Another AK type?..
Who knows....if Eller is as great as everyone thinks he will be, are you telling me that there were no good wingers available? Everyone had Eller penciled in for 40-50 pts before the season started. So, people thought quite highly of him. So who's to say a good top 6 winger was not a possibility?

I understand the cap. We have seen GM's work around the cap before.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Who knows....if Eller is as great as everyone thinks he will be, are you telling me that there were no good wingers available? Everyone had Eller penciled in for 40-50 pts before the season started. So, people thought quite highly of him. So who's to say a good top 6 winger was not a possibility?

Most came to that conclusion without ever knowing anything about him.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Most came to that conclusion without ever knowing anything about him.
Same to the people who wanted a top 6 winger for a goalie in a market they know nothing about, not that I do but im not the one ripping on PG for not getting more.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Perhaps. You shouldn't really hold on to what people expected of Eller. Most had not seen him play one game. Would you say expecting someone you know nothing about, that has played 7NHL games, to score 50pts in his rookie year?
I mean, 40-50pts as a rookie is not necessarily an easy task. Sure, some ordinary players like Grabovski, Cogliano, etc..But other top end talent have also reached that amount, like Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, etc..
So, expecting Eller to dominate as so might not have been a realistic expectation.
Can't blame anybody though, Gauthier did say he had a player ready to play in the NHL.

Maybe a top 6 was available, maybe that top 6 player wasn't overly interesting though and came with a bigger cap. Can't really know.

The only things we can use to determine this trade are the status, salary and return.
Halak was a RFA. Offer sheets become a possibility.
If he were signed to one, at his current salary, that means the compensation would have been a 1st and 3rd. Eller and Schultz are 1st and 3rd rounders. So, to me, the deal is fair in terms of return value. We got the return we would have had via an offer sheet. Time will tell who really won that trade, because obviously the players involved are not at the same level in their careers. Halak is becoming a #1 keeper, while Schultz is in the AHL and Eller, according to many, should also be there.
So time will tell, but I feel the deal was fair in terms of value.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
jordy

Reading all these posts the majority believe PG has done a more than respectable job since he took over from BG. However i tend to disagree, looking at gauthiers track record the trades hes made have been more than underwhelming. With this in mind i'll look into the halak, d'agostini, and SK trades.

Halak for eller, shultz - The blues get a #1 goalie in halak who has proven he can handle the pressure. In the olympics and in the stanley cup playoffs, hes proven he can take a team on his shoulders and win games single handedly. Now i know price has played well this year, better than i expected i might add but to give a playoff guy up like halak for eller and shultz is one of the worst trades i've ever seen and makes me question gauthiers hockey IQ. To make the loss of halak worse we get nothing in return. Ellers, a 4th liner who doesnt seem to have the speed or the strength to play in the Nhl and schultz, is an ahler who hasnt put up any points this year. Is it too early to give up on eller? yes it is, but as of RIGHT now eller seems lost on the ice and cant even get anything going even when put with plekanec or AK. I think its time we ship him to the AHL before he loses the little confidence he has left. advantage st-louis.

SK for dustin boyd- SK is one of the biggest threats on an anemic nashville squad where boyd cant even crack the roster here. I know SK couldnt get along with martin and thats why he was traded but in terms of performance only nashville are winning this trade easily.

D'agostini vs palushaj- Same deal as the SK for dustin boyd trade. I never saw palushaj play so im not going to critic his play but the fact is d'agostini is on pace for a 45 point season in st-louis while palushaj is playing in the minors and hasnt played a game in the show all year.

These are three examples of Brutal trades giving up young NHLers for nothing in return so far. Hopefully I look back in 3 years and im laughing at this but im not going to hold my breath

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Doesn't take a genius? Depends, I'm sure that everybody here thought Eller would have brought much more right now. Not a Crosby type of performance but a better one than a guy most people think would be better suited for another AHL trip. As far as O'Byrne is concerned, you mean the guy most people thought he'd be nothing more than a an NHL reserve all of life due to poor hockey sense and all? I am also pretty sure that even if the guy we got in return is not playing in the NHL, nobody thought the gap would be, right now, so great.

Yes, we were up against the cap...but let say, for example, that it's true that St-Louis offered either Berglund or Eller in the trade and we went for Eller (again, I am confident Eller will turn this around soon)...wouldn't that answer a need on the 3rd line as the centerman position? Berglund or Desharnais? Gap could still be there though Halak is not exactly incredible, but it could have been more helpful...and I'm not talking about a 4 M$ vet here.

See, it might be dump to you...but the same people who think that, will come back in 5 years and say how great we are with Bournival and that the trade was steal...but will totally disregard what O'Byrne would have done previously.....It works both ways, and the only way to work it, is by analysing what we see now, and what we'll see then. Don't see what the problem is, we traded assets, we are still struggling in some areas that weren,t answered, and it would have been nice to answer it with products of trades. We will see how it will turn out. But the beauty of it is that if those products ends up great....Gauthier will have all the credit then. And the beauty of it also is that he's not exactly bashed for what he has received....just that it's an acknowledgment that all of our needs are still not answered.

I mean the perfect recipe is in order here. A little bit now, a little previsions for the future. I mean, you are talking to one of the best Bournival fan here....You are also talking about the guy who was ECSTATIC about getting my boy from Michigan in Palushaj...so don't worry, I see what the future could hold. But I also see the needs we have right now. Just ask yourself if you're confortable with the bottom 6 that we have. If you are confortable with the top 6 as well. And the bottom D's also. That's all. I mean, I love how I keep reading how we should refrain from talking about the draft....or the trades...'cause it's obviously way too soon to discuss about it...But then, when we talk about it in 4 years, we've being blamed for "hindsighting".....
I doubt St.Louis gave us a choice of Berglund or Eller, I think Berglund after his big rookie year(and despite a tough 2nd year) is pretty much an untoucheable in St.Louis.

I think if we had any choice it was getting a guy like Boyes plus a lesser prospect than Eller(Faitchild Gardiner), Boyes doesn't have a ton of value after a subpar year and a good size cap hit. Would have taken some major juggling to fit him under the cap at 4 mil.

Old
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

In order to "work arounnd the cap" you have to dump other players.

So let's say we get Boyes or Malone instead of Eller...then we have to turn around and dump AK coming off a down year in order to fit that player in...with no guarantee that we are getting better production in the swap...and we still lose an asset in Halak.

If you trade Halak for an asset then have to dump a similar player to make room for that player you are essentially giving Halak away rather than getting a young asset that could give you huge returns in the next 5-10 years.

Old
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
Reading all these posts the majority believe PG has done a more than respectable job since he took over from BG. However i tend to disagree, looking at gauthiers track record the trades hes made have been more than underwhelming. With this in mind i'll look into the halak, d'agostini, and SK trades.

Halak for eller, shultz - The blues get a #1 goalie in halak who has proven he can handle the pressure. In the olympics and in the stanley cup playoffs, hes proven he can take a team on his shoulders and win games single handedly. Now i know price has played well this year, better than i expected i might add but to give a playoff guy up like halak for eller and shultz is one of the worst trades i've ever seen and makes me question gauthiers hockey IQ. To make the loss of halak worse we get nothing in return. Ellers, a 4th liner who doesnt seem to have the speed or the strength to play in the Nhl and schultz, is an ahler who hasnt put up any points this year. Is it too early to give up on eller? yes it is, but as of RIGHT now eller seems lost on the ice and cant even get anything going even when put with plekanec or AK. I think its time we ship him to the AHL before he loses the little confidence he has left. advantage st-louis.

SK for dustin boyd- SK is one of the biggest threats on an anemic nashville squad where boyd cant even crack the roster here. I know SK couldnt get along with martin and thats why he was traded but in terms of performance only nashville are winning this trade easily.

D'agostini vs palushaj- Same deal as the SK for dustin boyd trade. I never saw palushaj play so im not going to critic his play but the fact is d'agostini is on pace for a 45 point season in st-louis while palushaj is playing in the minors and hasnt played a game in the show all year.

These are three examples of Brutal trades giving up young NHLers for nothing in return so far. Hopefully I look back in 3 years and im laughing at this but im not going to hold my breath
That part that you are completely missing is that those 3 deals were made looking 3-4 years down the road because we didn't have the cap room to take back established players with cap hits.

Not sure where you get that Eller is lot and doesn't have NHL speed, he definitely hasn't looked out of place. Yes the numbers are not there yet, but he makes things happen on most nights so you can see the numbers will come with time.

The D'agostini-Palushaj trade was a case of trading a player that we could no longer send to the minors for a younger prospect who is 3 years younger instead of just losing him on waivers. D'agostini wasn't going to fit in our bottom 6 and he wasn't scoring enough to fit in our top 6. The only reason his numbers have spoked is he got hot and ended up on the 1st line because of injuries, no way he finishes with 45 points. Palushaj is 21 and on his way to a 60 point year, he has a chance to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line winger in a 2-3 years. D'agostini has 52 career points in 153 NHL games, he has a lot to prove before he is a big loss.

SK acted like a moron when he was here, to the point where the veterans wanted him out of the room, because of his attitude and actions there wasn't much interest. In hindsight we may have been better off with a 6th or 7th rounder but we took a chance on Boyd, a guy with decent size and skills.

Old
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
That part that you are completely missing is that those 3 deals were made looking 3-4 years down the road because we didn't have the cap room to take back established players with cap hits.

Not sure where you get that Eller is lot and doesn't have NHL speed, he definitely hasn't looked out of place. Yes the numbers are not there yet, but he makes things happen on most nights so you can see the numbers will come with time.

The D'agostini-Palushaj trade was a case of trading a player that we could no longer send to the minors for a younger prospect who is 3 years younger instead of just losing him on waivers. D'agostini wasn't going to fit in our bottom 6 and he wasn't scoring enough to fit in our top 6. The only reason his numbers have spoked is he got hot and ended up on the 1st line because of injuries, no way he finishes with 45 points. Palushaj is 21 and on his way to a 60 point year, he has a chance to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line winger in a 2-3 years. D'agostini has 52 career points in 153 NHL games, he has a lot to prove before he is a big loss.

SK acted like a moron when he was here, to the point where the veterans wanted him out of the room, because of his attitude and actions there wasn't much interest. In hindsight we may have been better off with a 6th or 7th rounder but we took a chance on Boyd, a guy with decent size and skills.
SK is like that kid at the party that's not only already young but acts even younger. You know his friends are cool so you invited them but sadly he came along. In a few years the kid would be fine to hang out with the big boys but at the time he was acting like a child.

The return wasn't great but see what return you get trying to trade one of your more annoying friends to a mutual friend for a friend who isn't annoying

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
In order to "work arounnd the cap" you have to dump other players.

So let's say we get Boyes or Malone instead of Eller...then we have to turn around and dump AK coming off a down year in order to fit that player in...with no guarantee that we are getting better production in the swap...and we still lose an asset in Halak.

If you trade Halak for an asset then have to dump a similar player to make room for that player you are essentially giving Halak away rather than getting a young asset that could give you huge returns in the next 5-10 years.
There's no guarantee that Eller will produce either.

Old
02-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There's no guarantee that Eller will produce either.
No but at least we have 3-4 years to get positive return versus one year.

The thing about prospects is that if you have enough good ones some will turn out very well.

Old
02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
SK is like that kid at the party that's not only already young but acts even younger. You know his friends are cool so you invited them but sadly he came along. In a few years the kid would be fine to hang out with the big boys but at the time he was acting like a child.

The return wasn't great but see what return you get trying to trade one of your more annoying friends to a mutual friend for a friend who isn't annoying
More like trading an annoying friend to someone else for a long distance relationship with someone you don't really get along with anyway.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
plekysu

LOL habs got absolutely hosed by the blues, stop kidding yourselves. Just because Halak was a tradeable asset, doesn't make it any better to sell so low.

plekysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
I can't help but go out laughing when i see ''Avantage Nashville'' and ''Avantange St.Louis'' when I see the Halak and S.Kost trade.

People never look any further than the freaking points. Sergei couldnt play in a market where he was getting that much attention outside of hockey. He's a guy who loves the spotlight and he had it in montréal (For beeing a hockey player). He's doing good in Nashville and i'm happy for him, but good riddance seriously.

For the Halak trade, we need to look in the future, Eller is a raw gem. Martin will do wonder with him. Same goes with Schultz who IMO gonna become a Chris Neil type of player. Maybe not putting the points Neil was on his prime but an New-NHL enforcer like Neil is. Plus the last point, Trading Halak gave us space to sign Plekanec having Price as a #1 tender .. Talk about losing a trade ..

And for the O'B trade, It's seriously a tie. Bournival is a great prospect for us, and O'B lost all confidence here beeing not able to take a spot in the top 6. How that can't be an avantage to a team ..
So essentially what you are claiming is every trade Montreal either won or tied despite statistics evident to the contrary? We call that viewing through rose colored glasses. S. Kostitsyn was never allotted consistent top six time in our lineup and is in a similar position Eller is presently. His attitude makes the trade arguably necessary but I would hesitate to cite it good.

The Halak trade is certainly St. Louis' victory. We acquired a prospect who fills a position we have locked for four years and were already developing two additional centers. Halak was the best goaltender, bar none, down the stretch and in the playoffs last season. Eller is a good prospect who has been poorly managed however the demand for Halak should have been significantly more. Look to the Vakoun trade, if he is moved, as that would be an adequate comparison.

With O'Byrne, we traded a player who filled a role we were weak at and he has now played fantastic for Colorado. Bournival may be a solid prospect but O'B was a NHL ready player we misused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
The Halak trade is not looking so hot for St-Louis if you ask me. The savior they were expecting is having a Jocelyn Thibault-type of season. Not even close right now to Carey's. By reading some press coverage from St-Louis, the team seems disappointed in him.
St. Louis has been decimated with injuries all over. He cannot play Roy-esque all season.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote