HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Drew Stafford, the real deal ?

Old
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
maarch

vCash: 500
Drew Stafford, the real deal ?

I dont follow buffalo to often ( I'm following more montreal, vancouver, colorado and some others more often )

Just wanted the take of some real buffalo fans about drew stafford.

Somebody in one of my league just offered me a trade involving him ( fleischmann for stafford ). I'm building for next year. And was wondering how he is.

I know he had a good season as a rookie, failed to break out last year and now this year seem to finaly do it. But sometime stats dont tell everything ( like the fact he do have many hat tricks against the same teams, wich boost his offensive numbers )

So, any of you guys could tell me how is drew stafford doing, what's his future in your team and do you think he's worth it against fleischmann ( so far I think not... but wanted some real feedback before giving my final answer ).

thansk in advance for your help and let's the discution begin

maarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
MyersMagic57*

Flash would get you more points next year possibly. Stafford more goals. With his injuries hes set back this season. Healthy at this rate he could put up 30 goals 25 assists I think. he will be taking a smaller shorter contract again to prove himself more since he has injuries. Since he still has alot to prove I see him playing well again next season. Flash is known to be inconsistent but in Colorado he seems to have found his fit. Either player would be good I honestly couldn't say who I'd rather have because next season is up in the air for both players

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

They need to extend his contract NOW before it bites them in the ass in the off-season.

As for your league thing, take Staff.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
slip

I don't know if he's real or fake; just keep scoring 'dem goals!

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
The Fuhr

He always had 35+G potential... just a matter of putting the skillset together

- Has sick balance and pretty good speed
- Size to use his power and crash the net
- really good stickhandler
- A nasty slingshot wrist shot

Confidence + putting the skillset together by working hard = legit 1st line sniper

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
maarch

So, most of you would agree that stafford have what it take to succed and last year was nothing more than the regular sophomore slump ?

Old
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarch View Post
So, most of you would agree that stafford have what it take to succed and last year was nothing more than the regular sophomore slump ?
Sometimes it takes bigger players a few years to really put there game together and learn the work ethic needed to compete at this level.

What Stafford is doing now is putting his game together and hitting his potential

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
slip

Quote:
Uhh, more like a senior year slump.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
maarch

and from what I recall before he seemed to fear using his size to hit and go in front of the net.

Did it changed since his first years or he's still afraid of that ?

edit : wow just saw another 3 goals game for him tonight... he certainly like to score goal in bunch in the same game for sure

Old
02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

When he's on his game, he's a mix of Alex Semin's stickhandling/shooting and Todd Bertuzzi's bull-rushing the net circa 2001.

When he's off his game, he's a mix of crap and baby tears.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
maarch

well I came here thinking he was a bust, and from what I read he might finaly have found his '' groove ' and be worthy of that 14th overall pick in the first round.

Now I'm torn

Old
02-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Havok89

Quote:
well I came here thinking he was a bust, and from what I read he might finaly have found his '' groove ' and be worthy of that 14th overall pick in the first round.

Now I'm torn
13th overall

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
maarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
13th overall
my mistake sorry ;p

Old
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

its a contract year, i remain skeptical. it sure is nice right now though.

billsandsabres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
maarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres View Post
well he is 25 and a sniper usaly develop around that age. Wouldnt be the first time it happen.

But I was skeptical myself, that's why I made this thread, to know what you guys saw in him since you see him play 82 games per years

Old
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

my biggest issue with stafford is his lack of effort. this is the first time in his career i remember him bringing a consistent effort. same coach, mostly the same teammates, so i wonder why this is...

billsandsabres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
schpaff

"Pay him, his monay"

schpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
He always had 35+G potential... just a matter of putting the skillset together

- Has sick balance and pretty good speed
- Size to use his power and crash the net
- really good stickhandler
- A nasty slingshot wrist shot

Confidence + putting the skillset together by working hard = legit 1st line sniper
Absolutely Agree; If Stafford continues to play like this- regardless if he is producing- we have to consider him as part of the core. He has very HIGH potential.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
my biggest issue with stafford is his lack of effort. this is the first time in his career i remember him bringing a consistent effort. same coach, mostly the same teammates, so i wonder why this is...
Yes yes yes. Cautious optimism with Stafford. But to throw multi year 3+ mil/per is ludicrous. Throw a 2 yr. 5 mil. at him at the very most. See if this year is not a fluke.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Its not his 1st contract year.

Its almost impossible for a player to start scoring goals when they feel like it.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
The biggest thing for Staff is that he dropped 15lbs. over the offseason, he also dropped the "Power-forward" thing. He is just being him and thats a player who could cycle the puck along the boards very well and put the puck in the net, no matter how it goes in it does....

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
The biggest thing for Staff is that he dropped 15lbs. over the offseason, he also dropped the "Power-forward" thing. He is just being him and thats a player who could cycle the puck along the boards very well and put the puck in the net, no matter how it goes in it does....
He's not a full blown power forward, but he is a physical player. He's good in traffic in front of the net, and has 30 registered hits in 34 games this year. That would pan out to about 72 in a full season, which is a tad more than we would usually see from him.

Bottom line, he's over 6 feet tall, over 210 pounds, and is in great physical condition. He's a powerful player and a great skater. We need players like him, especially right now when some of our other players (Pominville, Hecht, Connolly) lack a big frame or the foot-speed to back it up.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:50 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
He's not a full blown power forward, but he is a physical player. He's good in traffic in front of the net, and has 30 registered hits in 34 games this year. That would pan out to about 72 in a full season, which is a tad more than we would usually see from him.

Bottom line, he's over 6 feet tall, over 210 pounds, and is in great physical condition. He's a powerful player and a great skater. We need players like him, especially right now when some of our other players (Pominville, Hecht, Connolly) lack a big frame or the foot-speed to back it up.
Ruff addressed the 'contract year' vs. 'light going on' issue with Stafford directly yesterday on WGR. Stafford got himself in good enough shape to finish his shifts at the same energy level as the beginning of the shift and that has given him the tools he needs to succeed in this league.

If he continues to play like this through the end of the year he's going to get a Derek Roy like contract from the Sabres. They asked him to step up his game and he has. I have no issue with him getting something like that. He's 25, hitting his prime and is, right now, nearly a PPG player. Thankfully, no one is talking about him in the Toronto media to raise his price.... yet.

Not only does he have 20 goals in 34 games (a 49 goal pace btw), but he's scoring big goals at key times. 2 goals in the final minute of regulation to force OT this year... that's huge. And, he's done this while fighting injuries and ever-changing linemates due to injury.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:13 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
When he's on his game, he's a mix of Alex Semin's stickhandling/shooting and Todd Bertuzzi's bull-rushing the net circa 2001.

When he's off his game, he's a mix of crap and baby tears.
This. Especially that last part.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Stafford is one of the very few forwards that has shown an ability to generate his own offense. That's a big plus in my book. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's finally put his game together.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Ruff addressed the 'contract year' vs. 'light going on' issue with Stafford directly yesterday on WGR. Stafford got himself in good enough shape to finish his shifts at the same energy level as the beginning of the shift and that has given him the tools he needs to succeed in this league.

If he continues to play like this through the end of the year he's going to get a Derek Roy like contract from the Sabres. They asked him to step up his game and he has. I have no issue with him getting something like that. He's 25, hitting his prime and is, right now, nearly a PPG player. Thankfully, no one is talking about him in the Toronto media to raise his price.... yet.

Not only does he have 20 goals in 34 games (a 49 goal pace btw), but he's scoring big goals at key times. 2 goals in the final minute of regulation to force OT this year... that's huge. And, he's done this while fighting injuries and ever-changing linemates due to injury.

Ta,
I heard this, too, and what struck me was how quickly Ruff answered that he thinks the light went on, and this wasn't a contract-year bump. He talked about the commitment that Stafford made this summer to get into "elite shape," not just get into a little bit better shape. It seems pretty clear that they view him as an important piece going forward.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote