HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Lightning Struck

Old
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
they just beat the #2 seed... just sayin
And when was the last time they lost 2 games in a row? Recently After every loss they have won 2 in row. This team has been playing good hockey for a minute now. They have to contiue working hard, tho.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
G - the continued fight in the team
B - the continued inconsistency this season
U - Miller on 2 of the 4 goals

Am I in the minority here? I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs and get rolled in 4 and hurt our draft position. This team is absolutely positively not good enough to make a legit run at the cup. Is it talent? Is it drive? Is it heart? Is it coaching?

All the above?
What's the difference between 8th and 9th place as far as draft position goes? Not much. Rooting against them is dumb.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Am I in the minority here? I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs and get rolled in 4 and hurt our draft position. This team is absolutely positively not good enough to make a legit run at the cup. Is it talent? Is it drive? Is it heart? Is it coaching?
I think so, there was a time where I would have agreed with you. However, is this team could manage to snatch the 8th spot I think we could do some damage. This team has a proven track record against Philly in the postseason. Then again I do think the Sabres 2-3 years down the road has a brighter future and more potential than this years team.

Either way come this April I would like to be either A) sitting in HSBC OR B) partying at the plaza

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:11 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It should be Nieds, but judging by the fact he was the skater of choice on a 3-on-3...I guess Byron will go down

Granted, it's not the worst thing for Byron's development to spend more time in the AHL, but the Sabres are better off with him in the lineup than Nieds.
Nieds has been getting better, I think if I were in charge I would sit him though.

Tough decision for Ruff thats for sure....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Tonight was my last night skiing, so alas, I missed this game as well. Looks like it was a fun third period. I love it when we explode for a bunch of goals like that. Hopefully they carry the momentum into the game against the Panthers on Thursday when I actually can watch.

Also, I'm feeling more and more optimistic about making the playoffs. It's nice to be able to control your own fate, especially when the teams you're competing with are faltering. As we all know, once you make the playoffs anything can happen.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:

All the above?
Playoff hockey should be more important to every fan, player, coach, and everyone else involved in the organization. It brings in more money for the front office, brings in more popularity for the brand, brings in more hockey to watch and more exciting moments for the fans, and brings in more confidence and belief in one's ability for the players and coaching staff. IMO playoff hockey always trumps a higher draft pick.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Since Roy's been out, Vanek's stats:

16 games, 8 goals, 22 points

I've never liked watching Vanek play on Roy's line, and now I can see why on paper too

Old
02-09-2011, 01:13 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:

All the above?
I'm a fan.

I would prefer they prove you wrong.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:16 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Nieds has been getting better, I think if I were in charge I would sit him though.

Tough decision for Ruff thats for sure....
Niedermayer-Gaustad-Grier has actually been providing a real physical element recently that this team has lacked. I'd prefer to send Byron back down to Portland to reinforce their squad and get a boatload of ice time there. He's certainly impressed in his stint, but I don't think he's ready for full time NHL work yet.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:37 AM
buffalowing88

Give Connolly some credit. He made Leopolds GTG happen by not touching the pass between his legs and he played great 2 way hockey for the last 30 minutes. I know he's all but gone, but we will miss his playmaking at some point in time.

Also, Vanek has inched his way back into the top 15 forwards in the game. He's found his role and he's excelled at it. Great Job.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

It's going to be Byron, who hasn't played 10 minutes the last two games, but it shouldn't be. Niedermayer has been by far the weakest aspect of the "checking line" and the physicality Jflory is talking about has far more to do with Grier playing a decidedly more physical game than anything Niedermayer has done.

Byron gives you speed and tenacity and plays better with offensive players than Niedermayer does. Additionally, McCormick, Kaleta and Gerbe are all capable of holding down the left wing with Goose/Grier.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:47 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
It's going to be Byron, who hasn't played 10 minutes the last two games, but it shouldn't be. Niedermayer has been by far the weakest aspect of the "checking line" and the physicality Jflory is talking about has far more to do with Grier playing a decidedly more physical game than anything Niedermayer has done.

Byron gives you speed and tenacity and plays better with offensive players than Niedermayer does. Additionally, McCormick, Kaleta and Gerbe are all capable of holding down the left wing with Goose/Grier.
Niedermayer has been very good at controlling pucks around the boards and maintaining the cycle of late. He's obviously the least phyiscal among the trio, but he's played a smart complementary game to Guastad/Grier's style.

I've liked Byron's game, but he can still use some seasoning and would benefit from the additional ice time in Portland.

Old
02-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Give Connolly some credit. He made Leopolds GTG happen by not touching the pass between his legs
Yes, give Connolly credit for realizing how much he sucks, and deciding to just not even touch the puck .

Old
02-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Vito_81

Vanek has stepped his game way up.

He may be overpaid thanks to the offer sheet. He won't hit 40 goals this season like he could/should. But he damn sure is leading this team like a Captain would.

just sayin...

Also, I've got to say that Leopold is the man on the back end. Great plays in every zone tonight.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:51 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Niedermayer has been very good at controlling pucks around the boards and maintaining the cycle of late. He's obviously the least phyiscal among the trio, but he's played a smart complementary game to Guastad/Grier's style.

I've liked Byron's game, but he can still use some seasoning and would benefit from the additional ice time in Portland.
The problem is, if you bench Byron, you're moving Nieds off of Goose's line anyway because you need another center. Maybe you could get away with McCormick with Gerbe and Kaleta (honestly, I do like the sound of that line), but I've preferred Cody at wing.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Kruschiki

I'm putting the officiating in the 'good'. Not because they made the right call on the Leopold goal, but because right after it, the game could have gone south fast, but instead, they took control through penalties.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:35 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
I'm putting the officiating in the 'good'. Not because they made the right call on the Leopold goal, but because right after it, the game could have gone south fast, but instead, they took control through penalties.
Read the stuff a guy called TheDownie spreads on the main board. He has a similar opinon

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I've seen Vanek play "hotter" hockey.

I've never seen him play "better" hockey though, he's playing like a leader and his presence is felt all over the ice, which isn't always the case with him.

I never really considered him captain material, but if he keeps it up til the end of the season, it's gonna be interesting to see if he gets an "A" next year.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:03 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:

All the above?
Horse-****! It's not about a tactics and strategy... it's about winning. If the kids are winning, let them win. Let them grow into their roles... as fans we should never cheer for a loss, unless the team is truly horrible, cf. Isles.

I have a distinct feeling that this core of players could lose in OT of the 7th game of the SCF and people will still say they aren't going anywhere. It's retarded.

They are 11-4-1 with a center mix of Connolly/Hecht/Nieds/Byron.

Whiskey!
Tango!
Foxtrot!

Personally, I'm impressed beyond my imagination. I thought they were a lottery pick for sure without Roy.[1]

Get in the playoffs and punch your ticket. Statistically there is not much difference between picks #11 and #20 in producing an NHL player. Honestly, if you aren't in the lottery in an average draft year, position doesn't mean much.

Ta,

[1] - Jame you may be vindicated. You're still wrong about Ruff.

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:13 AM
joechip

Quote:
Niedermayer-Gaustad-Grier has actually been providing a real physical element recently that this team has lacked. I'd prefer to send Byron back down to Portland to reinforce their squad and get a boatload of ice time there. He's certainly impressed in his stint, but I don't think he's ready for full time NHL work yet.
It's not how you start the season, but how you end it. the entire team sucked big donkey dicks early in the season. That is not the case now, but still people are judging current performance based on those past experiences.

We didn't sign Nieds and Griere to score goals in October. We signed them to check and provide leadership in March and April. Old guys know how to pace themselves. If one don't think they're re-energized by how well the team has rallied around Roy's injury, then one isn't paying attention.

Momentum is a finicky thing in sports. It's what makes it interesting.

Ta,

Old
02-09-2011, 06:15 AM
joechip

Quote:

That's always been his game. We have a line that's working and the first thing people want to do is break it up. Cue the Ruff hate over his playing 'line pizza.'

Ta,

Old
02-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
What's the difference between 8th and 9th place as far as draft position goes? Not much. Rooting against them is dumb.
Agreed. Its not a deep draft year outside the top 5 anyhow. Would much rather let the kids cut their teeth in the playoffs (first round at least). And hey who knows, if the play inspired hockey for 4 games, maybe even further.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind trading that pick if there is value to be had from it. We are deep in the system (Portland/Juniors - Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, Enroth, Brennan, Pysyk), we can afford to deal a 1st if an offer arises.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Luceni

seriously, does anyone miss roy?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
seriously, does anyone miss roy?
Of course, we'd alredy be in the playoffs if we had Roy all this time!

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:50 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:

All the above?

Posts like this disgust me as a die hard fan. There has never been one day in 25 years of being a Sabres fan that I did not want them to make the playoffs. It has been shown so many times that all you need to do is get into that top 8 and anything can happen

Especially when you suggest to cheer against them so they might get the 11th overall pick rather then the 15th ?? Insane

Last edited by CelticSabre: 02-09-2011 at 07:56 AM.
CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote